UMass & AAC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UMass & AAC

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
While the geographic proximity is tempting, it would dampen recruiting and, in a sense, allow UMass to draw closer competitively with UConn. No thanks. Playing the Minutemen as an OOC opponent is fine annually--not as a conference foe.
The argument against UMass is that they don't bring enough to the table for them to get a piece of the conference pie. It is the same argument that we won't be going to the Big 10 in the foreseeable future. Both teams need a seismic event to happen.

I like playing UMass. We just need to be better.

Reaction Score
UConn (and BYU) represents the biggest brand of any school stuck outside the P5.

I'm not sure that is true today. If you are of the opinion that football holds all of the value then UConn does not rank near the top.

UConn basketball still has a valuable brand, although it's honestly a bit tarnished by losing, the coaching press, and the history of violations. Losing is the biggest part of that, and that can turn back quickly.

It's important to note that when UConn was left out of the CR musical chairs, winning and losing had no bearing. UConn was on top at that point. Rutgers has a very long tradition of suck and they were invited up.

Reaction Score
Since when is competition bad?

Everyday you read something on this board that is just so mind numbingly stupid you can't even believe it.

Yes helping out you're competition who is already for lord knows what reason better than us by inviting them into a better league is BAD. This isn't hard. The fact we even went from Syracuse and Rutgers being our competition to UMass in 5 years is reason enough not to invite them. You think rebuilding UConn football is gonna be hard try inviting a similar regional school who has already shown they can do more with less.

Reaction Score
Everyday you read something on this board that is just so mind numbingly stupid you can't even believe it.

Yes helping out you're competition who is already for lord knows what reason better than us by inviting them into a better league is BAD. This isn't hard. The fact we even went from Syracuse and Rutgers being our competition to UMass in 5 years is reason enough not to invite them. You think rebuilding UConn football is gonna be hard try inviting a similar regional school who has already shown they can do more with less.

Suddenly the BC position on UConn makes sense.

Reaction Score

I know your tiny brain can’t understand how competition can elevate two different entities.

They’ve shown they can do more with less? You’re right. Every day you read something stupid on the boneyard.

Reaction Score
I know your tiny brain can’t understand how competition can elevate two different entities.

They’ve shown they can do more with less? You’re right. Every day you read something stupid on the boneyard.

I guess you missed them beating us yesterday.

Reaction Score
Rivalries make both competitors better (and more valuable).
I couldn’t agree more. If we didn’t have competition in the BE our basketball team never would have been anything. If SMU didn’t get invited to the BE they never would have been anything. Look around the country and you’ll notice how competition breeds success in everything, not just sports.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UMass is not getting into the American.

Anything that dilutes revenue share is a non-starter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How many major conference championships in FB have they won?
How are their national TV ratings in any sport?
How many eyeballs/dollars would they bring to a conference's media rights deal.

Answer (Umass) - None, Non-existent, No more than they have now.
Answer (UConn) - Two, Better than BC, More than BC.

Stop asking this question until UConn is no longer in the AAC.

Reaction Score
What dumb stupid post, like we're waiting for the Big Ten to throw out Rutgers too. The AAC is NOT going to throw out a school that has 22 National Championships under it's belt over the last 20 years or so, no matter how bad it's football team is. If that were the case the SEC would have thrown out Kentucky many years ago.
Most of UConn's national championships have been in women's sports which don't move the needle in national perception of athletics. I applaud all national championships, but you cannot deny that the direction of athletics in general has been downward, especially in the AAC. I am not counting field hockey or men's hockey which do not compete in the AAC. I was being facetious in my initial response and I am happy that you replied. You keep bringing up the 22 National Championships, but it doesn't really seem to have helped the perception of UConn these days.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t be silly. UConn provides legitimacy to the AAC. There is no scenario where the ACC throws UConn out.

I believe that UConn athletics in the AAC would benefit from a strong geographic rivalry which it currently does not have. For that reason I would welcome UMass into the AAC.
I also would welcome UMass into the AAC. I just bristle at the hubris of some these posters. UConn has shown nothing to the AAC. One of the posters continues to brag about UConn's 22 national championships, but fails to mention that the overwhelming majority of them are in women's sports, which although laudable, don't move the needle in terms of national respect. My feeling about UConn and the AAC is just that the other member schools have improved immensely since the inception of this conference, yet it appears to me that UConn has faltered.

Reaction Score
Most of UConn's national championships have been in women's sports which don't move the needle in national perception of athletics. I applaud all national championships, but you cannot deny that the direction of athletics in general has been downward, especially in the AAC. I am not counting field hockey or men's hockey which do not compete in the AAC. I was being facetious in my initial response and I am happy that you replied. You keep bringing up the 22 National Championships, but it doesn't really seem to have helped the perception of UConn these days.

In your eyes only Sherlock.

BTW UCONN field hockey left the Big East for the AAC.

Reaction Score
In your eyes only Sherlock.

You cannot change facts to your liking. Why is UConn field hockey playing in the Big East tournament next weekend if they are in the AAC?

Reaction Score
You cannot change facts to your liking. Why is UConn field hockey playing in the Big East tournament next weekend if they are in the AAC?
This is the last season they will be in the BE. The AAC will be sponsoring field hockey, which they currently do not.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball still has a valuable brand, although it's honestly a bit tarnished by losing, the coaching press, and the history of violations. Losing is the biggest part of that, and that can turn back quickly.
Please. Don't you have some game to attend at the Palestra? Thats the farthest VU will go in college athletics history.

TJT

Reaction Score
Does the loss on Saturday mean the Big Ten will want UMass now instead of UConn?;)

Reaction Score
It's their last year in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Please. Don't you have some game to attend at the Palestra? Thats the farthest VU will go in college athletics history.

2 games at the Palestra this year, @Penn and @ La Salle. It's a great venue for a couple of games.

I saw somewhere that the recent Nova history is pretty good too!

Reaction Score

If your conference sponsors the sport in which you participate, you can't play that sport in another conference.

The Big East was and is happy to accommodate others in minor sports, and it's fine to get your own field hockey up and running in the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the last season they will be in the BE. The AAC will be sponsoring field hockey, which they currently do not.

You sure you guys aren’t arguing over AAC Women’s Lacrosse which is starting in 2019?

I don’t remember the AAC announcing a new Field Hockey Conference since Temple and UConn? are the only schools w/ FHOCY

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You sure you guys aren’t arguing over AAC Women’s Lacrosse which is starting in 2019?

I don’t remember the AAC announcing a new Field Hockey Conference since Temple and UConn? are the only schools w/ FHOCY
I think you are right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom