UMass & AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass & AAC

Reaction Score
When does Rutgers get their full allotment of Big Ten revenue? Only then can they be considered a Big Ten member.

What a buffoon you are, @Zissou.

Reaction Score
When does Rutgers get their full allotment of Big Ten revenue? Only then can they be considered a Big Ten member.

It is strange how Rutgers gets the B1G logo on their fields and courts of play and uniforms, yet they are not a member of the Big Ten? Please explain. I would love for UConn to do the same.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think this year or next, right? Hopefully they will invest in facilities the RAC is a mess.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not suggesting it as a conference, just a comparison of "Flagship Universities".

8 of 10 are non-P5.

UMass, UConn, and UD don't look so bad together.
Besides Penn State and Rutgers of course the other schools in your list have no business being in the same "flagship list" as UConn. Take your Northeast flagship list, not including Penn State and Rutgers of course, and combine the academic reputation with athletic accomplishments such as NC's or top eight finishes and UConn is a pretty tall Sequoia standing amongst some tiny little trees on my street.

List of NCAA schools with the most NCAA Division I championships - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate to break the news to you, but another year or two of UConn finishing in last place in the AAC, and that is what you will be seeing in the Rent. Five more years of UConn remaining noncompetitive in the AAC and you will see UConn dropping out of FBS football. It could be that other members of the AAC are saying the same about UConn these days. A lot of talk, no action. UConn football has been noncompetitive in the AAC since its inception and men's basketball has been competitive only by a thread. Lots of work to do over the next five years to make UConn great again!
Geez "buddy" can you be any more negative on UConn football and men's basketball even with the way recruiting has picked up recently? The two top ranked big men in HS basketball (2019) are both giving Uconn a strong look since Hurley has become our coach. UConn football recruiting has also picked up markedly, especially from in state players. Recruiting is everything in these sports and you obviously don't follow it or maybe you do and you just don't like the way it contradicts your negative propaganda. Top recruits are already seeing something in both programs that makes them want to come here. I predict in five years UConn football will take 2nd in the AAC, that is if we're still in the AAC, and maybe even wins it outright. In men's basketball, UConn will rise from the ashes as early as this fall.

Reaction Score
Besides Penn State and Rutgers of course the other schools in your list have no business being in the same "flagship list" as UConn. Take your Northeast flagship list, not including Penn State and Rutgers of course, and combine the academic reputation with athletic accomplishments such as NC's or top eight finishes and UConn is a pretty tall Sequoia standing amongst some tiny little trees on my street.

List of NCAA schools with the most NCAA Division I championships - Wikipedia
UConn clearly has the greatest athletic achievements among the northeast flagships mentioned but academically the disparity is not as great. US News has UConn ranked #56 among national universities while UMass is #75 and Delaware is #81, both of which are much higher than most AAC members.

Reaction Score
UConn clearly has the greatest athletic achievements among the northeast flagships mentioned but academically the disparity is not as great. US News has UConn ranked #56 among national universities while UMass is #75 and Delaware is #81, both of which are much higher than most AAC members.
I'll give you that, but that's for national universities both public and private. UConn is ranked academically #18 (tied with Purdue, Texas, and U Washington) amongst public Universities, and is ranked quite a bit higher than Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers at #22, #24 and #25 respectively. UMass is #29 academically but athletically is down in the dumper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez "buddy" can you be any more negative on UConn football and men's basketball even with the way recruiting has picked up recently? The two top ranked big men in HS basketball (2019) are both giving Uconn a strong look since Hurley has become our coach. UConn football recruiting has also picked up markedly, especially from in state players. Recruiting is everything in these sports and you obviously don't follow it or maybe you do and you just don't like the way it contradicts your negative propaganda. Top recruits are already seeing something in both programs that makes them want to come here. I predict in five years UConn football will take 2nd in the AAC, that is if we're still in the AAC, and maybe even wins it outright. In men's basketball, UConn will rise from the ashes as early as this fall.
I am not being negative, just stating facts of where UConn has been over the past couple of years. I said nothing about the possibility of improvement, but did state that if UConn does not improve, the picture would be very dismal. I hope that you are correct.

Reaction Score

While I think that basketball has a legit chance to return to being nationally competitive in short order, I'd pump the brakes on football a little bit. Comparing the two sports is nearly impossible because building a competitive roster in each is so wildly different.

In basketball Hurley can sell past national titles and proximity to home to get top prospects to come to Storrs. Winning matters. One recruiting class of a couple of blue chippers combined with some returning talent could instantly have the program competing in the tournament. You see this all over the country. Basketball is made for a quick turn around, and Uconn is as good of a candidate as any for one.

Football on the other hand requires the building of a program over the span of 4-5 recruiting classes. Miss badly in a particular season and you potentially set your development back years. Edsall has proven to be a great talent evaluator, solid developer at certain positions(bad at others) and quite honestly an average game day coach. That's not a knock on him, but essentially one person's views of his coaching strengths and weaknesses at both Uconn and UMD.

The issue he faces is that his biggest strength is negated a bit in a day and age where there are few hidden gems to build a program on. Kids compete all over the country in prospect camps and Hudl film is readily available for even FCS and D2 Level Athletes. If you can play plenty of people know about it. A decade ago you could find kids who were high end talents who were completely off the radar of major FBS Programs. Kids who played at small schools or in non traditional areas might as well have been playing on The Moon. That's not the case so much anymore.

Since HCRE's greatest strength has been diminished a bit, The program will need to win more head to head recruiting match ups with low end FBS Programs and peer G5 Programs to become competitively relevant. Winning recruiting battles against Wofford, Villanova, and Georgia Southern will field you a team capable of beating those teams. Its not going to beat UCF, Memphis, UH, or USF on any consistent basis. The RB from Texas you landed is a good start, but he alone can't be the centerpiece of a class. Other AAC Schools will have multiple 3* athletes like him and even the occasional 4*. You can't finish 11th or 12th in recruiting every year and expect the school to win its conference. Its not realistic. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college sports. If collectively the staff assembled can't get it done, then you need to find a new staff. There is too much riding on football for it to be a 4-8 Program. For those who believe stars don't matter tune into OSU's Game against Tulane on 9/22. The difference between a program comprised almost entirely of all 4 & 5 * prospects versus one of all 2 and 3* players will be fully on display.

Reaction Score
While I think that basketball has a legit chance to return to being nationally competitive in short order, I'd pump the brakes on football a little bit. Comparing the two sports is nearly impossible because building a competitive roster in each is so wildly different.

In basketball Hurley can sell past national titles and proximity to home to get top prospects to come to Storrs. Winning matters. One recruiting class of a couple of blue chippers combined with some returning talent could instantly have the program competing in the tournament. You see this all over the country. Basketball is made for a quick turn around, and Uconn is as good of a candidate as any for one.

Football on the other hand requires the building of a program over the span of 4-5 recruiting classes. Miss badly in a particular season and you potentially set your development back years. Edsall has proven to be a great talent evaluator, solid developer at certain positions(bad at others) and quite honestly an average game day coach. That's not a knock on him, but essentially one person's views of his coaching strengths and weaknesses at both Uconn and UMD.

The issue he faces is that his biggest strength is negated a bit in a day and age where there are few hidden gems to build a program on. Kids compete all over the country in prospect camps and Hudl film is readily available for even FCS and D2 Level Athletes. If you can play plenty of people know about it. A decade ago you could find kids who were high end talents who were completely off the radar of major FBS Programs. Kids who played at small schools or in non traditional areas might as well have been playing on The Moon. That's not the case so much anymore.

Since HCRE's greatest strength has been diminished a bit, The program will need to win more head to head recruiting match ups with low end FBS Programs and peer G5 Programs to become competitively relevant. Winning recruiting battles against Wofford, Villanova, and Georgia Southern will field you a team capable of beating those teams. Its not going to beat UCF, Memphis, UH, or USF on any consistent basis. The RB from Texas you landed is a good start, but he alone can't be the centerpiece of a class. Other AAC Schools will have multiple 3* athletes like him and even the occasional 4*. You can't finish 11th or 12th in recruiting every year and expect the school to win its conference. Its not realistic. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college sports. If collectively the staff assembled can't get it done, then you need to find a new staff. There is too much riding on football for it to be a 4-8 Program. For those who believe stars don't matter tune into OSU's Game against Tulane on 9/22. The difference between a program comprised almost entirely of all 4 & 5 * prospects versus one of all 2 and 3* players will be fully on display.
First of all, I liked your post, agreed with much of it. That being said, what positions is HCRE really bad at in player development?

What about UConn winning recruiting battles with BC, Rutgers, Syracuse? Would doing that help in beating UCF, USF, or UH?

We lost some close games last year, we easily could have had five wins last year instead of three if we make a field goal and an extra point. I think Edsall's an excellent game day coach especially last year with what he had.

I don't think predicting a second place finish with in five years is unrealistic, and I don't think anyone myself included was comparing the timelines of seeing improvement in the men's basketball team vs the football team. Agree 100% that to rebuild a football program with 22 starters and 44 more on the depth chart, can take much longer than a basketball team with just five guys on it at any one time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a good take. Much less homer bias.

UMass and Delaware are credible potential rivals, within the region, with similar standing. Athletically UConn has a better hoops pedigree, of course.

I do understand looking down on potential regional rivalries. It is part of why regional foes become better rivals. If UMass starts outperforming UConn regularly in football, it has the making of a rivalry. It has better rivalry potential than Tulsa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nova fans typically look down on Temple as a rival. It does not have a great athletic history. Basketball has been relevant in the past, but it isn't in recent history.

Personally, I'd take UConn and Temple into the Big East. Both strengthen the East Coast footprint. Temple is a natural rival to develop for Nova. UConn is a natural rival to develop for Prov and St Johns (and Nova).

On the down side, 12 in a hoops conference is more challenging for the schedule. Temple's academic rating is not an ideal fit. Both UConn and Temple break the current private school mold of the conference. UConn's history of violations brings some baggage. UConn hoops has hit bottom (but I believe in the rebuild).

Even with the noted baggage, I'd add UConn and Temple given the chance. One school of thought is that Nova owns the Philly market (recruiting and TV interest). I think more schools and rivalries in a market grows interest. It doesn't only compete with your interest, it grows interest. UConn adds to our NYC centric conference.

I'd leave Cincy out of the discussion. They are more likely to move to the Big 12 at some point anyway. They fit into the conference footprint and I wouldn't have strong objections, but I'd prefer UConn and Temple.

The Big East is fine. No additions are needed. I would not have supported Dayton, VCU, Wichita State, or other mid majors that have been proposed. I would take UConn and Temple.

Reaction Score
UConn fans dismissing UMass as unworthy is exactly like BC fans dismissing UConn as unworthy, and just as stupid/self-destructive. Sports are built on regional rivalries. UMass's growth would not hurt UConn; it would help UConn. It would generate interest and fans. UMass is a pretty huge school, and if they want to make the investment and play, then fine, I have no problem with it.

Of course, ideally we end up in the ACC, but in the meantime, I don't think UMass weakens the AAC, and certainly doesn't hurt UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn fans dismissing UMass as unworthy is exactly like BC fans dismissing UConn as unworthy, and just as stupid/self-destructive. Sports are built on regional rivalries. UMass's growth would not hurt UConn; it would help UConn. It would generate interest and fans. UMass is a pretty huge school, and if they want to make the investment and play, then fine, I have no problem with it.

Of course, ideally we end up in the ACC, but in the meantime, I don't think UMass weakens the AAC, and certainly doesn't hurt UConn.
Disagree. If UMass caught some traction and starts putting together winning teams consistently, then by all means let's invite them. But adding another mouth that brings nothing other than proximity to UConn makes zero sense. FWIW, I fully agree that a competitive UMass or URI programs are good for New England sports, which is good for UConn, but it needs to be more than wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UMass' strengths are lacrosse and men's hockey. Are having difficulty attracting anyone, even fans, to other programs. Their hockey crowds are puny, even.

Reaction Score
Disagree. If UMass caught some traction and starts putting together winning teams consistently, then by all means let's invite them. But adding another mouth that brings nothing other than proximity to UConn makes zero sense. FWIW, I fully agree that a competitive UMass or URI programs are good for New England sports, which is good for UConn, but it needs to be more than wishful thinking.
I think scheduling an ooc game with UMass early is a win win for us. The proximity and rivalry would be good, and as an early season tune up for UConn it gives the Huskies a chance to kick a local team in the teeth before conference play starts in earnest and gives the coaching staff a chance to experiment with different offensive and defensive schemes. After that if UMass improves then so be it. The coaches are probably also going to know what UMass is capable of on the field better than other teams because a lot of their players are local kids that the coaches are already familiar with.

Reaction Score
Nova fans typically look down on Temple as a rival. It does not have a great athletic history. Basketball has been relevant in the past, but it isn't in recent history.

Personally, I'd take UConn and Temple into the Big East. Both strengthen the East Coast footprint. Temple is a natural rival to develop for Nova. UConn is a natural rival to develop for Prov and St Johns (and Nova).

On the down side, 12 in a hoops conference is more challenging for the schedule. Temple's academic rating is not an ideal fit. Both UConn and Temple break the current private school mold of the conference. UConn's history of violations brings some baggage. UConn hoops has hit bottom (but I believe in the rebuild).

Even with the noted baggage, I'd add UConn and Temple given the chance. One school of thought is that Nova owns the Philly market (recruiting and TV interest). I think more schools and rivalries in a market grows interest. It doesn't only compete with your interest, it grows interest. UConn adds to our NYC centric conference.

I'd leave Cincy out of the discussion. They are more likely to move to the Big 12 at some point anyway. They fit into the conference footprint and I wouldn't have strong objections, but I'd prefer UConn and Temple.

The Big East is fine. No additions are needed. I would not have supported Dayton, VCU, Wichita State, or other mid majors that have been proposed. I would take UConn and Temple.
The only sports I see UConn possibly joining the Big East in are badminton and ping pong.

Reaction Score
The only sports I see UConn possibly joining the Big East in are badminton and ping pong.
Maybe not right now, but I think UConn can rebuild and also be competitive in other sports.

Reaction Score
We are already in the Big East for field hockey and women's lacrosse.

2018 was the last season that UConn women's lacrosse was in the Big East. The AAC will be sponsering women's lacrosse starting in the spring of 2019, and UConn will be part of it. Cincinnati, Temple, East Carolina, Florida, and Vanderbilt will also have teams that participate in women's lacrosse in the AAC.

Reaction Score
2018 was the last season that UConn women's lacrosse was in the Big East. The AAC will be sponsering women's lacrosse starting in the spring of 2019, and UConn will be part of it. Cincinnati, Temple, East Carolina, Florida, and Vanderbilt will also have teams that participate in women's lacrosse in the AAC.
Thanks for the update. Didn't know the AAC created a women's lacrosse league. Nice to know that Florida and Vanderbilt are coming too.

Reaction Score
Too bad Villanova didn't upgrade football. Could have been in the AAC right now instead of Temple.

CL82

Reaction Score
Too bad Villanova didn't upgrade football. Could have been in the AAC right now instead of Temple.
Nice to imagine. The American would have 3 MBB national championships. The legacy of the the Big East would be living on without losing a step.

Oh well, I guess that we will just have to do it ourselves.

Reaction Score
The Big East really is thriving even though we miss some of the rivalries.

Reaction Score
We are already in the Big East for field hockey and women's lacrosse.
Not for long. The Big East is a dieing league. Costs too much for kids to go to school to those private Catholic schools. The education is good but not for the exorbitant tuition costs, much much much cheaper for parents to send their kids to a Public Ivy like UConn, SUNY Binghamton, Rutgers, Penn State, Vermont or Virginia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom