Ugly round of ESPN layoffs? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ugly round of ESPN layoffs?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Each School is building or has built their own broadcast studio??? Production work at each school??? Doesn't sound kosher.

Despite your protests it's true and has been well-publicized.

Reaction Score
Every ACC school is doing it. I read about the work that Louisville and others are doing.

Here is what ND is doing:

As part of its $400 million Crossroads project (stadium additions/renovation), ND is almost finished building a new media center:

“It is a massive undertaking by the university,” says Scott Rinehart, broadcast technology program director, Fighting Irish Media, which will move into its new home — a state-of-the-art media center — next August. “It’s a media center that takes the Fighting Irish Media mission of telling the story of Notre Dame through the lens of athletics and expanding it to all of campus. We’re supporting non-athletic events today, but this just takes it to a whole other level.”

The media center will be located on the first floor of the complex’s east building and operated by a newly formed group called Notre Dame Studios, reporting to the university’s Office of Information Technology. The 18,000-sq.-ft. facility will support all facets of Notre Dame media production. From digital content in support of academics and faith-based initiatives to production of the videoboard shows in Notre Dame Stadium, Purcell Pavilion, and Compton Family Ice Arena, it will be a resource for students, faculty, and staff.

“The media center,” says Dan Skendzel, senior associate athletic director for media and branding, “is the manifestation of University President Rev. John Jenkins CSC and VP/Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick’s vision when they approved the launch of Fighting Irish Media: get started in athletics but always with the intent of scaling capability to support the university’s academic and faith missions.”

The media center will house two control rooms to support live productions for ACC Network Extra and NBC digital shows as well as live linear-television broadcasts. Two additional studio spaces, six edit rooms, and two audio rooms will also be brought online. Existing FIM facilities of two edit rooms, three control rooms, and one studio will be folded into a new IP-centric infrastructure. All venues —academic, athletic, and faith — will be connected via single-mode fiber to the media center.

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/09/15/am...e-stadium/

Reaction Score
Despite your protests it's true and has been well-publicized.
But is it legal for public (and even private) educational institutions supported in part by the states they're in to produce they're own live or taped sports content? I mean are they building earth stations as well? Who pays for the uplink facility, for the Satellite time and space etc? I can see the FCC, broadcasting labor unions, going apesh*t over this. And if one dime of taxpayer money is used it'll be a real storm. I mean when CPTV used to broadcast the UCONN women's games, they had to be very careful how they did it since it was public television, no commericals, no advertisers. It smells to me even if it is legal , schools are losing sight of their mission and core values.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But is it legal for public (and even private) educational institutions supported in part by the states they're in to produce they're own live or taped sports content? I mean are they building earth stations as well? Who pays for the uplink facility, for the Satellite time and space etc? I can see the FCC, broadcasting labor unions, going apesh*t over this. And if one dime of taxpayer money is used it'll be a real storm. I mean when CPTV used to broadcast the UConn women's games, they had to be very careful how they did it since it was public television, no commericals, no advertisers. It smells to me even if it is legal , schools are losing sight of their mission and core values.

What in the world are you talking about.

They are building out the ability for the students to broadcast non-revenue sports. You know supporting their educations by giving them real-life experience.

They aren't going to be doing North Carolina/Virginia Tech football on ESPN2.

I'm pretty sure they have more insight into the legality of their contracts than say... you.

Reaction Score
What in the world are you talking about.

They are building out the ability for the students to broadcast non-revenue sports. You know supporting their educations by giving them real-life experience.

They aren't going to be doing North Carolina/Virginia Tech football on ESPN2.

I'm pretty sure they have more insight into the legality of their contracts than say... you.
Broadcast on what channels??? Are they commercial free? If not, who sells the air time? Students an earth station and uplink facility at each School while taking a full course load??? And what exactly is a "non revenue sport"? Please explain that. I mean are the tickets and hot dogs free for christ sake? There are interns during the summer and there are students with full time jobs who go to night school. I'm sure there are courses offered to learn broadcasting in the studio, control room and uplink facility, but working there and running it is something entirely different.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Broadcast on what channels??? Students running an earth station and uplink facility at each School while taking a full course load??? And what exactly is a "non revenue sport"? Please explain that. I mean are the tickets and hot dogs free for christ sake? There are interns during the summer and there are students with full time jobs who go to night school. I'm sure there are courses offered to learn broadcasting in the studio, control room and uplink facility, but working there and running it is something entirely different.

Do yourself a favor and delete your account.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_3454.PNG
Do yourself a favor and delete your account.

I wasn't kidding

Reaction Score
But is it legal for public (and even private) educational institutions supported in part by the states they're in to produce they're own live or taped sports content? I mean are they building earth stations as well? Who pays for the uplink facility, for the Satellite time and space etc? I can see the FCC, broadcasting labor unions, going apesh*t over this. And if one dime of taxpayer money is used it'll be a real storm. I mean when CPTV used to broadcast the UConn women's games, they had to be very careful how they did it since it was public television, no commericals, no advertisers. It smells to me even if it is legal , schools are losing sight of their mission and core values.
Broadcast on what channels??? Are they commercial free? If not, who sells the air time? Students an earth station and uplink facility at each School while taking a full course load??? And what exactly is a "non revenue sport"? Please explain that. I mean are the tickets and hot dogs free for christ sake? There are interns during the summer and there are students with full time jobs who go to night school. I'm sure there are courses offered to learn broadcasting in the studio, control room and uplink facility, but working there and running it is something entirely different.

Come into the new age (Google can be your friend and safety net):

UConn Student Television

Student Television Groups

Reaction Score
Every school in the country has one. So what's your point or it's relationship to the ACC Network?
I think those links clearly help to answer your rant question below:
But is it legal for public (and even private) educational institutions supported in part by the states they're in to produce they're own live or taped sports content?

Reaction Score
Many, many schools have production facilities...many schools, like FSU, Ohio State, Alabama have broadcast both radio and television programs for a long time. Ohio State was a pioneer in public broadcasting.

WFSU TV is a primary public television production facility....

"WFSU-TV is the anchor public television station for the State of Florida. WFSU and the School of Communication have a close working relationship where students are offered the opportunity to learn media production within an active, working television station environment. WFSU produces a series of original programs in Studio A as well as a range of student material that is produced in Studio B and aired on Channel 4. Classes offered at WFSU include Multiple-Camera Studio Production (RTV 3227), Television Interviewing and Hosting (RTV 3234) and Video Workshop (RTV 3225r). WFSU"

Seminole Productions (separate from the public TV) has been operating for 30 years...

"While Seminole Productions has been an industry leader in video sports applications and live event coverage the past three decades, the department is undergoing $3 million in renovations and state-of-the-art upgrades that will enhance production workflow for the upcoming athletic season."

"Seminole Productions – located in the Moore Athletic Center and part of the university’s College of Communication – handles many video production needs for FSU athletics and produces more than 100 television programs annually.

Seminole Productions also produces live events for ESPN, an important component to the ACC’s desire to team with the sports media conglomerate on a dedicated channel/platform(s)."

Reaction Score
Notre Dame owned WNDU television station in South Bend for many years before selling it to a private company in 2005.

"The station first signed on the air on July 15, 1955, originally broadcasting on UHF channel 46. WNDU-TV was owned by the Michiana Television Corporation, a subsidiary of the University of Notre Dame."

How is building studios and production facilities any different than owning a television station?

WNDU-TV - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Camtasia + iPhones + YouTube + Garage with panel lighting and green-screen = Yesterday's $500,000 studio + $500,000 in equipment + $500,000 broadcast tower.

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU already were equipped with the Panasonic HC 5000 high speed cameras.

Although pretty decent specs....they are probably upgrading

The AK-HC5000, capable of high-speed output up 1080/239.76p, incorporates new 2/3” 2.2M 3-CMOS sensors with high sensitivity (F11/2000lx), low noise (S/N 60dB+), and resolution measured at 1100 TV lines. Features encompass Advanced Focus Assist Functions, shockless Gain (-3~36dB), a User Gamma setting, Black Gamma Correction tracking pedestal, multi-step Digital Noise Reduction (DNR), reduced skew and, Dynamic Range Stretch (DRS) and Chromatic Aberration Compensation (CAC)

My I 7 is nice...but the video is not really suitable for professional sports broadcasting...don't know about camtasia

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU already were equipped with the Panasonic HC 5000 high speed cameras.

Although pretty decent specs....they are probably upgrading

The AK-HC5000, capable of high-speed output up 1080/239.76p, incorporates new 2/3” 2.2M 3-CMOS sensors with high sensitivity (F11/2000lx), low noise (S/N 60dB+), and resolution measured at 1100 TV lines. Features encompass Advanced Focus Assist Functions, shockless Gain (-3~36dB), a User Gamma setting, Black Gamma Correction tracking pedestal, multi-step Digital Noise Reduction (DNR), reduced skew and, Dynamic Range Stretch (DRS) and Chromatic Aberration Compensation (CAC)

My I 7 is nice...but the video is not really suitable for professional sports broadcasting...don't know about camtasia

My comment had plenty of sarcasm mixed in. I did look up the cost of High Def studio cameras. They are expensive, and I'm sure a broadcast tower cost more the $500k to build and then operate.

That said, I think the schools are mostly just competing against each other at this point in building these state-of-the-art studios. Most of the schools probably already had the basics; but probably not a studio that could be branded and dedicated for use as the "ACC" studio. Further, the football team probably has a video editing room with equipment to die for, but I don't imagine they're typically in a "sharing" mood.

I know that small schools (even high schools) can get by with very little. Throwing together a highlight film with cuts from different angles doesn't take much.

Reaction Score
Given CTs bleak state budget any cuts to high priced talent is bad news on the taxes front. Hold onto your wallets!
Wait, you still have your wallet? Now I know why taxes in CT are going up, you still have potential monies - and our state wants/needs that and more - always always always more!

Reaction Score
You are not very bright are you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom