Ugly round of ESPN layoffs? | The Boneyard

Ugly round of ESPN layoffs?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_2964.jpg

Reaction Score
Supposedly Greenberg is getting a big raise with his talk show. They could start the cutting there.
Im not that big of a Seth Greenberg fan. I dont hate him, I just dont understand how he became one of the top 2-3 analysts for ESPN. He basically took over Digger's role.

Reaction Score
Well...Brent Musberger is off the payroll....no loss

Skip Bayless is gone...addition by subtraction

Chris Berman is gone...he was getting a bit long in the tooth

Chris Carter is gone....he held up a chair

And Cowherd...he just stirred the pot looking for negative attention...any attention...

Reaction Score
So ESPN will continue to go on a downward subscriber and income spiral with future rounds of cost-cutting to follow. I would expect some of the better of the released on-air talent will be picked up by rival networks.

Reaction Score
They seem to be cycling off some of the higher priced talent like Chris Fowler, Tim Brando et al and using less costly talent...(I was impressed with Doris Burke's coverage of the ACC tournament)...young guys like Danny Kannell, mixed with the more veteran talent seem to be where they are heading.

You know, they cut down Mark May's role substantially and I kind of missed his role....but I never missed a wink by losing Beano, Craig James, Trev Alberts, Craig James, Rod Gilmore....and Lou Holtz.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I only watch the games at this point in my life. Maybe when the kids are older or when we play in a meaningful game I'll watch the pre/post game and sportscenter, but for now I'm lucky if I can carve out the time for the actual sporting events. And it seems to me that you could get competent color/PBP guys for low to mid 6 figures.

Reaction Score
Im not that big of a Seth Greenberg fan. I dont hate him, I just dont understand how he became one of the top 2-3 analysts for ESPN. He basically took over Digger's role.
He was never that good a coach, his teams were NIT bound most years. I think he barely made the dance two or three years. ESPN likes any former ACC coach. Lol

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I only watch the games at this point in my life. Maybe when the kids are older or when we play in a meaningful game I'll watch the pre/post game and sportscenter, but for now I'm lucky if I can carve out the time for the actual sporting events. And it seems to me that you could get competent color/PBP guys for low to mid 6 figures.

I don't watch any pre or post game stuff and Michigan has been somewhat relevant these past two years. It's annoying and half of them just yell at you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So here's the question: how does this effect the American contract? We all think that it grossly undervalued but ESPN sets the market. Will they invest in the American or pay a nominal amount for it and risk break up?

Reaction Score
Supposedly Greenberg is getting a big raise with his talk show. They could start the cutting there.
not sure why he's so determined to get away from Bristol now after 18 yrs with Golic (except for the money of course). they had a good thing going and now he's ruining it. and i sure as heck am not going to watch Trey and Mike in the morning. maybe they should get rid of Wingo too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here's another doomsday article about ESPN. This time from Bloomberg.
ESPN Has Seen the Future of TV and They’re Not Really Into It

What jumped out at me was that ESPN is only paying $15M for the Longhorn Network. It makes the argument of how the LHN's value to Texas is so critical in its conference decisions, more than a bit puzzling.

I didn't read that as a doomsday article. Actually, quite the opposite. Surprised to learn that ESPN is still getting its $7 cut via cheaper services like Hulu, et.al.

Reaction Score
Courant: ESPN Layoffs Reportedly To Begin Layoffs Of 'Significant On-Air Names'

>>ESPN is set to begin its latest round of layoffs, with Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch reporting via Facebook that employees could be informed starting Wednesday. Some of them could be "significant on-air names," he says. The job cuts, which will come from the network's sizable stable of on-air and online talent, have long been expected as ESPN looks to pare expenses in the wake of mounting subscriber losses and rising rights fees. Over the past five years, the network has lost somewhere around 12 million subscribers while shelling out billions for the right to televise leagues such as the NFL and NBA. It will be ESPN's second round of layoffs in less than two years: In October 2015, ESPN laid off about 300 people who worked behind the scenes.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom