Ugly round of ESPN layoffs? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ugly round of ESPN layoffs?

Reaction Score
Darren Rovell needs to go tweet picture of stadium hot dog prices from 20 years ago for someone else too.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Most of the talented reporters are the ones leaving. ESPN has become MTV, trying to appeal to segment that was never their core audience.

This article is pretty decent in looking the situation.
I expected more on-air talent where the savings would be greater. The bloggers and reporters are closer to middle class schmucko's like me, and will have a hard time finding similar gigs. Anyone who is rejoicing over some stranger's loss of a job, pray it never happens to you.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No matter how anyone feels about ESPN in particular or The Mouse in general. No matter how good/bad any individual is at his/her job, and whether or not you think anyone will end up on their feet (or better), it is never pleasant to "move on" on someone else's terms.

In fact, I probably (personally) have more animosity toward the corporate entity. Much of the purge happening in Bristol is a result of upper management shortsightedness. They spread themselves too thin, trying to create a monopoly on the eye catching leagues and conferences and it backfired. As a result, it will really up heave some people's lives through no fault of their own.

Asking for a friend...What does John Skipper's salary look like?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jayson Stark‏ @jaysonst 12m12 minutes ago
For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!

Wow. He's excellent. It is clear to me now that ESPN is basically purging the website of talent. They likely won't be doing much, if any, off air reporting.

Reaction Score
Supposedly Greenberg is getting a big raise with his talk show. They could start the cutting there.

Absolutely, the guy is a peevish idiot. I think the North Koreans make their political prisoners watch him 24/7.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wow. He's excellent. It is clear to me now that ESPN is basically purging the website of talent. They likely won't be doing much, if any, off air reporting.
They laid off Jay Crawford who I believe was one of the main hosts of the morning SC. So on air personalities are getting hit too.

Some of the names laid off ar shocking to me. Ed Werder was a consistent reporter on their NFL coverage. Jason Starks was huge on the baseball side

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised by any of the names. The sports world is actually saturated with reporters, particularly the major sports. It would be nice to see some of them land on NBC, CBS or FOX. Maybe some would be decent radio personalities.

I do feel bad for the families....and I do feel bad for the hit to our state income tax revenues. Many of these jobs were contributing healthy sums to the state coffers. More trouble for Hartford ahead.

Reaction Score
ESPNU: ESPN layoffs hit Charlotte offices

>>When you watch a college football halftime show on ESPNU, the studio you’re seeing will no longer be in Charlotte. As part of a round of about 100 layoffs companywide, the sports network is moving its ESPNU studio operation from Charlotte to Bristol, Conn., where ESPN is based, a source close to the matter told the Observer. A few ESPNU positions will remain in Charlotte, primarily the people responsible for producing the large number of events that air on the channel. In total, fewer than 10 people in Charlotte are being laid off. The SEC network operations, as well as an events division, will remain in Charlotte. ESPN employs about 200 people locally.<<

Reaction Score
When they convert ESPN's campus into a condo complex, are they going to leave the satellite dishes there?? And please erase all memories of Syracuse alumni being there?!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is what happens when you allow Syracuse alumni to run a business.
Let's hope the new Syracuse AD produces similar results.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
When they convert ESPN's campus into a condo complex, are they going to leave the satellite dishes there?? And please erase all memories of Syracuse alumni being there?!
Seeing how they're basically closing up shop in Charlotte to come back home to Bristol, I don't think their complex is going anywhere anytime soon. If there was any positive from all the madness of yesterday it was that they moved more of their off site production back to CT and not out of it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seeing how they're basically closing up shop in Charlotte to come back home to Bristol, I don't think their complex is going anywhere anytime soon. If there was any positive from all the madness of yesterday it was that they moved more of their off site production back to CT and not out of it.

Does NC have a tv production credit like CT? They probably moved production back because CT gives tax credits for TV production. Easy choice if NC does not.

As for Charlotte, it says fewer than 10 people out of 200 are losing their job.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Does NC have a tv production credit like CT? They probably moved production back because CT gives tax credits for TV production. Easy choice if NC does not.

As for Charlotte, it says fewer than 10 people out of 200 are losing their job.
True but it's better then finding out they're cutting folks in CT and moving more production to Charlotte.

Reaction Score
Given CTs bleak state budget any cuts to high priced talent is bad news on the taxes front. Hold onto your wallets!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom