Ugly round of ESPN layoffs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ugly round of ESPN layoffs?

Reaction Score
Seeing how they're basically closing up shop in Charlotte to come back home to Bristol, I don't think their complex is going anywhere anytime soon. If there was any positive from all the madness of yesterday it was that they moved more of their off site production back to CT and not out of it.
ESPN heavily overpaid for content.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just heard that Andy Katz's position has been eliminated. There is almost no reason to have ESPN dot com bookmarked or Channel 1605, 1606, etc. on Comcast favorited anymore.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see if any of the traditional networks (outside of Abc obviously) step up to purchase content. The cable conference sports network model is broken with way to much cost and not enough boxes. Not necessarily their forte, but they do need content.

Reaction Score
My assumption is ESPN is headed for the TMZ route. That would be horrible. They didn't lay off Stephen A Smith, did they? Nope.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I used to be a Baseball Tonight addict. Then the moment MLB Network came along it was "see ya!!!" ESPN. I rarely watch live events on their channels. And I never watch their talk shows. Maybe I will catch an Inside The Lines.

Even tonight...I will be watching the NFL Network 90% of the time.

And I can't remember when I went to ESPN dot com for anything.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I used to be a Baseball Tonight addict. Then the moment MLB Network came along it was "see ya!!!" ESPN. I rarely watch live events on their channels. And I never watch their talk shows. Maybe I will catch an Inside The Lines.

Even tonight...I will be watching the NFL Network 90% of the time.

And I can't remember when I went to ESPN dot com for anything.
Bob Ley just ended an OTL with a, "You may have heard that a number of our colleagues are leaving..."

All due respect, but they aren't "leaving." They are being shown the door and asked "head or feet?"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Checked in with my Bristol friends today they said the mood is bleak.

I was wondering how they were going to fill the time and space these people used...

ESPN is going to air Intentional Talk from the MLB network starting May 1. Well that's one way to fill time.

Yikes.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I was wondering how they were going to fill the time and space these people used...

ESPN is going to air Intentional Talk from the MLB network starting May 1. Well that's one way to fill time.

Yikes.
I think both the MLB and NFL Networks really took a bite out of ESPN's hind parts. MLB Tonight eclipsed Baseball Tonight almost as soon as it launched and they have an out of town game almost every night. If someone launches an NCAA Network, ESPN is really screwed to the wall.

The only non-live action sporting production that ESPN does well at this point is fantasy sports analysis, but at this rate they will need to dig up Hector the Projector and Victor the Predictor again.

It's a real shame...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think both the MLB and NFL Networks really took a bite out of ESPN's hind parts. MLB Tonight eclipsed Baseball Tonight almost as soon as it launched and they have an out of town game almost every night. If someone launches an NCAA Network, ESPN is really screwed to the wall.

The only non-live action sporting production that ESPN does well at this point is fantasy sports analysis, but at this rate they will need to dig up Hector the Projector and Victor the Predictor again.

It's a real shame...

MLB Network has some pretty terrible ratings themselves but I agree their shows are better.

OTL and 30 for 30 are good shows that aren't live action.

Reaction Score

It's a real shame...
Well ESPN had a fairly big hold on CFB before conferences put together their own networks and cut ESPN out so to speak, right? Doesn't excuse them grossly over-paying for NFL and NBA rights

Reaction Score
Well ESPN had a fairly big hold on CFB before conferences put together their own networks and cut ESPN out so to speak, right? Doesn't excuse them grossly over-paying for NFL and NBA rights

Although hindsight will show that they grossly overpaid for The NFL, I could sort of understand it at the time. You are going to pay a major premium to be a rights holder for America's Game. The NBA Deal? WTF was the thinking behind that? Lets pay and then pay some more?

Who was the brain trust charged with reviewing the deal, and were they double agents working for Fox or some other network? "Hey lets make a deal that pays the NBA so much money that guys who average single digit points and rebounds will end up making 15 million dollars a year." Remember when players actually had to be good to earn big money? If this is a turn back toward that eventuality I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yikes.
Layoffs were not limited to on-air folks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
MLB Network has some pretty terrible ratings themselves but I agree their shows are better.

OTL and 30 for 30 are good shows that aren't live action.

I think my phase out from ESPN began around the time of SNY. I'm a big mets fan and so I'm on their channel all the time and then they do a decent job covering all the other NY teams, most of which I care about. Come to think of it I actually watch GEICO sports night.

I watch MLB channel and NFL channel as much as I do ESPN, particularly the baseball tonight show. I tend to watch NBC sports for some hockey beyond the Rangers.

Really, the specialized channels are eating into their business - maybe not as much as cord cutting, but it's a factor.

Reaction Score
I just heard that Andy Katz's position has been eliminated. There is almost no reason to have ESPN dot com bookmarked or Channel 1605, 1606, etc. on Comcast favorited anymore.

And they kept Jeff Goodman...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
ESPNU: ESPN layoffs hit Charlotte offices

>>When you watch a college football halftime show on ESPNU, the studio you’re seeing will no longer be in Charlotte. As part of a round of about 100 layoffs companywide, the sports network is moving its ESPNU studio operation from Charlotte to Bristol, Conn., where ESPN is based, a source close to the matter told the Observer. A few ESPNU positions will remain in Charlotte, primarily the people responsible for producing the large number of events that air on the channel. In total, fewer than 10 people in Charlotte are being laid off. The SEC network operations, as well as an events division, will remain in Charlotte. ESPN employs about 200 people locally.<<
Wouldn't be surprised to see the ACCN based out of the Charlotte office come 2019

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised to see the ACCN based out of the Charlotte office come 2019

Much of the production work will occur at the ACC school facilities that are currently being built or enhanced.....

FSU, Louisville, NC State that I I know of, have built new facilities or are in the process.

Reaction Score
Much of the production work will occur at the ACC school facilities that are currently being built or enhanced.....

FSU, Louisville, NC State that I I know of, have built new facilities or are in the process.
Each School is building or has built their own broadcast studio??? Production work at each school??? Doesn't sound kosher.

Reaction Score
Man the new "talent" they've kicked up in the ranks now appearing on the air have been rough

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom