UConn's Shifting Starting Lineup? | The Boneyard

UConn's Shifting Starting Lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, with just 10 days until Opening Night, I thought it would be interesting to share my ideas about how I see UConn's starting lineup shifting as the season progresses.

First Game Lineup:

Bria, Caroline, KML, Kelly and Stef.

First/Second BE game:

Bria, KML, Breanna, Kelly and Stef.

BE Tournament and NCAA's:

Moriah, KML, Breanna, Morgan and Stef/Kiah (situational - depening upon who we are playing).

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
...she could leave UConn with 1,000 points, 750 rebounds, 500 assists, and 250 steals. Only one other player in program history has done that — three-time Wade Trophy winner Maya Moore.

Yes, it's so likely that Geno won't start THAT player. We have shiny new freshmen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, with just 10 days until Opening Night, I thought it would be interesting to share my ideas about how I see UConn's starting lineup shifting as the season progresses.

First Game Lineup:

First/Second BE game:

Moriah, KML, Breanna, Morgan and Stef/Kiah (situational - depening upon who we are playing).

Peace,

John Fryer

You haven't been watching Geno coach very long, have you.

Why would he change the starting lineup before playing ND (1st BE game) or Georgetown (2nd BE game)?

After 12 OOC games including games against Texas A&M, Maryland, Penn State and Stanford, do you expect UConn to be struggling so badly with the starting lineup with Caroline that he will remove her and replace her with Stewart? It has to be that, because Geno doesn't tinker.

And then, obviously, that change didn't work through the BE season, probably losing to Duke and Baylor and in the final game, Notre Dame.

So, now he will sit Hartley, Faris along with Doty from his previous benching and also spot start Stef. Basically starting 3 freshman and 2 sophs, and have 3 seniors, 2 juniors and a soph coming off the bens.

I think you are confusing what YOU might do if you were coach in some far off planet and not what Geno will do in the reality of the real world.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes, it's so likely that Geno won't start THAT player. We have shiny new freshmen.
Exactly. Anyone who thinks Kelly won't start for the remainder of her UConn career hasn't watched Geno coach over the years.

Yes, you need scorers, and no, that isn't Kelly's strong suit, but SERIOUSLY. The girl is a beast. He isn't sitting her to start the game. Doty, maybe. Not Kelly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Game 1 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

Game 39 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

I think there are other lineups that would allow for better scoring or better mismatches against other teams, but when Geno's had the option, he's NEVER started freshmen if he doesn't have to...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
IMO, two things would have to happen for Moriah to start ahead of Bria at any point this year (barring injury):

1. Mo would have to exceed the already lofty expectations associated with a HG 98 rated point guard.
2. Bria would have to go backwards, in relation to her performance last year.

I hope #1 happens! If not, we'll still be fine.
And I hope #2 does not happen. My guess is at worst, Bria will perform about like she did last year. And Geno values her leadership very highly. To me she is now the natural oncourt leader of this team, though it's certainly not clear cut like it was with Renee.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Exactly, doggydaddy. Geno loves having senior leadership, unless the talent disparity is obscene (like when the TASSK force came in).

Why are we thinking Geno & Co are all of a sudden going to switch things up? In the past three years with the current senior class (four if you count Doty's and Buck's redhisrt years) you have four trips to the FF and two NCs.

Reaction Score
Game 1 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

Game 39 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

I think there are other lineups that would allow for better scoring or better mismatches against other teams, but when Geno's had the option, he's NEVER started freshmen if he doesn't have to...

My guess is that somwhere around the middle of the season the lineup will be:
Bria, Kelly,KML, Stewart and Stef.

Reaction Score
Didn't finish. I think it unlikely that Caroline will start all season unless she is vastly improved over last year, which is unlikely because of the multiple ACLs.

Stewart is too strong a player both offensively and defensively not to start particularly during tournament time.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Exactly, doggydaddy. Geno loves having senior leadership, unless the talent disparity is obscene (like when the TASSK force came in).

Why are we thinking Geno & Co are all of a sudden going to switch things up? In the past three years with the current senior class (four if you count Doty's and Buck's redhisrt years) you have four trips to the FF and two NCs.

"We" are not thinking that, only a few who don't seem to understand despite multiple attempts at this over the summer. Leadership is big, and Geno likes his seasoned players to start. He also likes a big zing off the bench, so please put away those thoughts of Stewart starting. Likely it ain't gonna happen.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Why would he change the starting lineup before playing ND (1st BE game) or Georgetown (2nd BE game)?

After 12 OOC games including games against Texas A&M, Maryland, Penn State and Stanford, do you expect UConn to be struggling so badly with the starting lineup with Caroline that he will remove her and replace her with Stewart? It has to be that, because Geno doesn't tinker.

And then, obviously, that change didn't work through the BE season, probably losing to Duke and Baylor and in the final game, Notre Dame.

So, now he will sit Hartley, Faris along with Doty from his previous benching and also spot start Stef. Basically starting 3 freshman and 2 sophs, and have 3 seniors, 2 juniors and a soph coming off the bens.

I think you are confusing what YOU might do if you were coach in some far off planet and not what Geno will do in the reality of the real world.

That's pretty harsh.

I read John as suggesting that we have three very, very good frosh (good enough that the class is not just labeled as the best recruiting class of this year, but possibly the best recruiting class of all time).

Despite the ability of players like Stewart to shine as a high school player on teams made up of college players (Pan Am), he knows Geno's reticence for starting frosh, so doesn't think any of them will start early in the season. However, he predicts they will be so good, that sometime during the season, Geno will decide to start them.

Now, I happen to think you are more likely to be correct than John, but it's a discussion board, and doesn't really deserve the implied "you don't know what the hell you are talking about"

Reaction Score
That's pretty harsh.

I read John as suggesting that we have three very, very good frosh (good enough that the class is not just labeled as the best recruiting class of this year, but possibly the best recruiting class of all time).

Despite the ability of players like Stewart to shine as a high school player on teams made up of college players (Pan Am), he knows Geno's reticence for starting frosh, so doesn't think any of them will start early in the season. However, he predicts they will be so good, that sometime during the season, Geno will decide to start them.

Now, I happen to think you are more likely to be correct than John, but it's a discussion board, and doesn't really deserve the implied "you don't know what the hell you are talking about"

John wished predicted Caroline out of the lineup last season, also.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
John's post reminded me of back in the summer of '68, during the Chicago Democratic convention...Abby Hoffman (some of you may remember him) used to say things guaranteed to rile up the citizenry...then smile and say "peace." Of course he meant the exact opposite....and methinks, so does John. JMO.

Reaction Score
That's pretty harsh.

FRYER: Take heart. Thought your post was interesting, understandable, and clearly provocative; all good things for a sports board, I'd say.

PHIL: Appreciated and respected the tone of your good note. Like you, I think the majority on this thread will likely be closer to the actual results than will the initial poster.
But, I wanted to explicitly champion his right to his point of view, and express my respect for his having the guts to post it, knowing I'm sure that some derision would likely follow.
So often folks seem to react, when someone has a dramatically different opinion from theirs, as if the reactor is Last Word, Only Word, and Truth, while the differer is some sort of a tool or fool for for their differing vantage point. But, all part of the rough the tumble of sports talk where we all have our passions, our different personalities, and our different styles as well as our different opinions; Without the last of those, especially, the board wouldn't be much fun.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I don't think that this post is particularly harsh. It is straightforward and logical, asks the question of the length of time one has observed Geno's lineups, and also implies the illogic of starting 5 underclassman during the most critical part of the season.

That's not harsh IMO. That's telling it like it is.

3 frosh and 2 sophs starting during the tourneys - wow, just wow

and I can imagine the harsh words will ensue when these young kids (please read as underclassmen) don't live up to the armchair coaches expectations...

Reaction Score
I feel like a lot of people keep forgetting how good Bria is.

Second year in a row people are forgetting she's our best player. You think she would have proved it, considering she was our best player in pretty much every single big game Uconn played.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am going to be interested in how CD the younger plays this year - as far as I know she has had no set backs during the off season like she did last year so I hope her shot will have come back.
I think Stef, Bria, and Kelly are going to start all year. The other two positions may rotate a bit as the season goes along. KML is the most likely of the others to lock down a permanent spot, but her game is also a classic style for a 6th man/instant fire power.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
FRYER: Take heart. Thought your post was interesting, understandable, and clearly provocative; all good things for a sports board, I'd say.

PHIL: Appreciated and respected the tone of your good note. Like you, I think the majority on this thread will likely be closer to the actual results than will the initial poster.
But, I wanted to explicitly champion his right to his point of view, and express my respect for his having the guts to post it, knowing I'm sure that some derision would likely follow.
So often folks seem to react, when someone has a dramatically different opinion from theirs, as if the reactor is Last Word, Only Word, and Truth, while the differer is some sort of a tool or fool for for their differing vantage point. But, all part of the rough the tumble of sports talk where we all have our passions, our different personalities, and our different styles as well as our different opinions; Without the last of those, especially, the board wouldn't be much fun.
Yes, his post was provacative and he got the same responses he got the last two times he started a thread about not starting people. And I don't see why anyone needs someone to "champion his right to his point of view". I don't see anyone denying him that.

Are you saying I don't have the same right to post to him as he has in making his original point? I TOTALLY disagree with him.

And while it was on the snarky side, it was well within the rules of the board. Not sure why you are so sensative about this. You don't see John complaining about my post. He knows the responses he will get. He's gotten them before.

The rest of your post is just gobbeldy- to me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am going to be interested in how CD the younger plays this year - as far as I know she has had no set backs during the off season like she did last year so I hope her shot will have come back.

I remember plenty of times that out on the court, she looked pretty darn good. And remember Kalana? Didn't it her 2 years for her? And she is playing minutes in the W still.

It's not like Doty is limping around the court.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That's pretty harsh.

Not harsh at all. He said that by the BE Tourney, Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson would start over Hartley, Faris and Doty.

I went easy on him.

Reaction Score

First Game Lineup:

First/Second BE game:

Peace,

John Fryer

Question: In Geno's career how often has he changed a starting lineup mid-season (not counting injuries, senior night, or a player at her 'home' game)?

Answer: Very very rarely (in my memory). The few cases I can recall were because the team was not performing well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

First Game Lineup:

First/Second BE game:

Peace,

John Fryer

Clearly, you are expecting a lot of injuries because that is the only way the changes you suggest happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom