Uconn women | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn women

Reaction Score
Heard Boomer Esaison chime in this morning with the fact if not for a 2OT loss at home by 2 to Stanford a couple years ago they would be at 147 or something. Some amazing facts in this streak.

But then again one ESPN commentator mentioned the fact that only 1/5 of the games have been against competitive teams, Mr Kornheiser so he didn't put it up there with the greatest of streaks.:oops:

Kornheiser is clearly just trying to rile people up, or he is so ignorant that he doesn't even think about the stupidity of his own comments. Even if 1/5 of the UConn Women's games were against "competitive teams" the streak would still be ridiculous. I assume he's referring to top 10ish teams. So a streak of 20+ straight wins by high double digit margins isn't impressive? How about if you factor in the 147-1 run (don't know the exact number)? What would that be 30+ wins and 1 loss? That's not up there with the greatest streaks? I'm sure if we weren't UConn fans we'd hate the UConn program and try to belittle the streak, but even Kornheiser's streak sounds pretty awesome to me.

Reaction Score
If you care about UConn men's basketball then you should care about UConn women's basketball even if you don't like to watch the games. If UConn wants out of the AAC and into the P5 then we need the women to keep dominating. The woman's success is helping UConn's overall athletic portfolio.

Women's basketball may not move the needle enough for a P5 invite but they are drawing attention to UConn and last night got the highest rating of any (men's or women's ) basketball game on ESPN 2 this season. Ratings = money = more likely for a P5 invite = better opportunity for men's basketball.

But hey, you don't like women's basketball so lets not mention it even if it effects the men's program..SMH

Well, you don't get to dictate what I care about. And if their 1,000 wins in a row hasn't helped us dig out it the AAC by now, it simply isn't going to ever. They could win a million games in a row and it doesn't impact the mens program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't like following or talking about the women's team. There's a specific board dedicated solely to that topic. If I choose to voice my displeasure, that's my right. And if post something you don't like seeing, it's your right to point that out as well.
Here's a thought - don't read the thread. Easy. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... tremendous accomplishment. Truly worthy of time on our board, on ESPN, and any other sports network. A great representation of the University - so proud of the women.

Reaction Score
UNC Women's soccer: from 1982-2012 (30 yrs) - 21 National Championships; 3 runner ups; 3 semi finals. Including 3 in a row and 9 in a row.

Just ridiculous.
UNC is old money. We are LUCKY we have Geno.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you care about UConn men's basketball then you should care about UConn women's basketball even if you don't like to watch the games. If UConn wants out of the AAC and into the P5 then we need the women to keep dominating. The woman's success is helping UConn's overall athletic portfolio.

Women's basketball may not move the needle enough for a P5 invite but they are drawing attention to UConn and last night got the highest rating of any (men's or women's ) basketball game on ESPN 2 this season. Ratings = money = more likely for a P5 invite = better opportunity for men's basketball.

But hey, you don't like women's basketball so lets not mention it even if it effects the men's program..SMH

It doesn't effect or help the men's program . In the slightest.

Listen, I'm am very very proud of the incredible job the women's program has done for our school and our state. Simply unrivaled accomplishments . Proud to have them as our team.

Women's basketball generates no revenue for the country for it to move the needle at all. Uconn is an island with their fan support and ratings, but it helps UConn and UConn alone.it has no bearing on the rest of women's basketball as a sport of importance in CR or a P5 invite. If it did we'd be there already.

In fact an argument can be made that UConn being so dominant ( which they should never apologize for) actually hurts the potential revenue generating of women's basketball as a sport.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that idea..that Uconn being so dominant might be a negative for Women's basketball.

The news said ESPN had 100 credentials at the game last night. I wonder how often that happens for Women's basketball??

August_West

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that idea..that Uconn being so dominant might be a negative for Women's basketball.

The news said ESPN had 100 credentials at the game last night. I wonder how often that happens for Women's basketball??

Never.

A typical non UConn AAC game probably has zero

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's a specific board for women's basketball discussion. I don't care that they've won 1 or 101 in a row.

There's a specific board for professional sports as well. I don't see you carping about Super Bowl, NBA or baseball threads.

What's the matter, Diana took your lunch money?

Reaction Score
Never.

A typical non UConn AAC game probably has zero
Every time UConn travels in conference, their opponent always has a record setting night for attendance.

No, I don't think women's basketball will have any real effect on conference realignment, but the UConn women are nothing but a positive. Every conference wants its own network to increase profits. UConn women vs. whoever=more content, which helps them achieve that goal, however so slightly.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on some things in the thread:
1) I don't know how anyone can say it doesn't help with P5 advancement. Sure, you can say it hasn't helped enough to make the jump, but I would be hugely surprised if it hasn't moved the needle a little. Being front page ESPN news and driving good TV ratings simply has to help.
2) Related to 1), saying it doesn't help anyone but UConn is also shortsighted. When UConn comes to town, women's programs sell more tickets - that's a fact. Several thousand extra tickets probably turns many programs games against UConn from money losing to at least money neutral. If you don't think P5 conferences wouldn't mind not losing a little money on home games vs UConn and generating better ratings for better revenue on TV, I think you are missing something. Again - not a huge difference but a positive difference to be sure.
3) Expanding on the ideas above, if it comes down to say Cincy or UConn getting an invite and the analysis shows that between football and mens basketball, they are about even in terms of generating revenue or TV viewers, but adding in the Women's basketball tips the scales in UConn's favor, that obviously can't hurt. Yes - I know, it's not necessarily a lot in terms of what football does, but I'm quite certain any analysis considers every aspect and the Women help.
4) Not related to the above, saying the streak is against weak competition is kind of strange. Yes, they are simply better, but there are several teams with more top 10 recruits on the roster.
5) 28% of the wins are against teams in the top 25. 15% are against the top 10. 10% are against teams in the top 5. I haven't bothered to do the research, but I would be willing to bet there isn't a men's program that has come close to playing 28 or their last 100 against ranked teams, 15 of their last 100 against top 10 or 10 of their last 100 against top 5 teams. I bet it's not close.
6) Anything positive that gets UConn athletics in the news is great.
7) 100 in a row in ridiculously impressive and 25 in a row this season with road games against #2, 4 and 7 is a testament to the coaching and team play.
8) My favorite stat of all the amazing ones out there: 98 of 100 wins have been by double digits. Pure dominance.

Final thought - shut up Deep!

Reaction Score
It doesn't effect or help the men's program . In the slightest

Women's basketball generates no revenue for the country for it to move the needle at all. Uconn is an island with their fan support and ratings, but it helps UConn and UConn alone.it has no bearing on the rest of women's basketball as a sport of importance in CR or a P5 invite. If it did we'd be there already.

Interesting opinion....I'll respond with the below links

UConn Women Make Impressive TV Ratings Inroads In New York

S.C.-UConn Game Was A Ratings Bonanza For ESPN2

Like it or not, UConn women are the face of the game

Bottom line - the UConn women are obtaining unprecedented TV ratings and fan attendance particularly for opposing team. Almost every women's team highest attendance game will be when UConn comes to town.

SNY is making a killing on broadcasting the UConn women which means a P5 conference could be making money on UConn. It doesn't just "help UConn alone", it makes money for the conference and teams that UConn plays. To argue ratings and fan attendance has no bearing is to ignor the fundamental rule of conference realignment which is money drives all decisions. It's not winning, it is money.

Whether the UConn women's can generate enough money to substantially effect a P5 invite is a very legitimate argument. But to say their success has absolutely no effect is not accurate. When the ratings and popularity change for a team then the evaluatory criteria will also change. This is why past decisions will not always dictate future decisions..."new money" matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are threads on this board every flippin' year about the best pizza in CT, best beer, sandwich shops, steakhouses, pubs, golf courses, fishing spots, ice cream flavors, antique car shows, whatever, etc., but we can't spare one lousy thread to honor the women hoops teams' 100 game win streak? Yeah, OK, Deep.

Whether you're a fan of them or not, the fact is they still put UConn sports on the map, outside of our local bubble.

August_West

Reaction Score
Whether you're a fan of them or not, the fact is they still put UConn sports on the map, outside of our local bubble.

That and a dime will buy you AAC affiliation.

All the things people said above are true. UConn sells road tickets. UConn gets better ratings. Thewomen enhance our national name. Etc...... Do they hurt? No! My point is they don't help. Not with the way the current lay of the land is. It is an infinitesimal factor that UConn fans tell themselves to justify feeling slighted by the P5 . How many times do people have to be beat over the head with football drives the bus? Point being if we were ever attractive enough from a football/ basketball point of view to get an invite, we would whether the women's team won 250 in a row or was in the toilet with geno retired. we get that invite either way. That's why I'd doesn't matter.

It's simply like extra credit on an exam.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
From 1986 to 1990 North Carolina women's soccer had an unbeaten streak of 103 games. The streak was broken by a UConn win in Storrs in overtime.

And if this was our first and only uber-winning streak, I would say yeah, maybe we are equivalent. But we have another few streaks that were nearly as big. And this one is still going. That's why I say that what we've done is more impressive than the UNC legacy.

We are number 1...

Reaction Score
There are threads on this board every flippin' year about the best pizza in CT, best beer, sandwich shops, steakhouses, pubs, golf courses, fishing spots, ice cream flavors, antique car shows, whatever, etc., but we can't spare one lousy thread to honor the women hoops teams' 100 game win streak? Yeah, OK, Deep.

Well, there is this thread and the one that compares some girl named Gabby to Dennis Rodman.....who led the NBA in rebounding seven years in a row at one stretch and was named Defensive 1st team 7 times. Oh and he's in the Hall of Fame.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That's an interesting take, because I don't like something that you do, I'm close minded. Hmm. Let me guess. You're a democrat, right?

Let me know when you want to finally answer why you think it's perfectly OK to post about pro sports on the UConn hoops board, but not the women's team.

Reaction Score
But then again one ESPN commentator mentioned the fact that only 1/5 of the games have been against competitive teams, Mr Kornheiser so he didn't put it up there with the greatest of streaks.:oops:

This is true of any top College program.

Reaction Score
Let me know when you want to finally answer why you think it's perfectly OK to post about pro sports on the UConn hoops board, but not the women's team.

Here's my answer.

1) First off, the main board is a melting pot for a lot of OT topics. Pizza, Beer, etc. No one (like 0 people) will first go to the OT board or post the original note there. That's kind of a given. So, I can see why those posts are on the main board.

2) There is a Pro Sports forum. I frequently visit/post there. Honestly? I don't think a lot of people know it exists. There is a very small cluster of people who are active there and maybe a handful of posts each week and 99% of them are baseball related. I do believe that the Patriots, Oakley, NBA stuff should go there. I don't say anything about it because, quite frankly, I don't think it'd do any good. It's an empty space. The last post there was from me at noon on Friday.

3) In regards to the women's team posts on this board? The women's board is almost as active as the men's board. 518,000 posts. If you want to talk about the women's team? Go there. There's way, way, way, way more excitement, knowledge, tolerance and passion for whatever question you want to pose or topic you want to discuss. Additionally, I think (and it's my personal thought) that the discussions here are generally stupid in nature. It's like when your wife makes dinner plans with a co-worker, says her husband is a "big sports fan" and in the first 5 minutes he says something like "Those girls could teach the men's team a thing or two!" or that Gabby Douglas is like NBA hall of fame rebounder Dennis Rodman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom