Uconn with no recruits in class of 2018? Unlikely. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn with no recruits in class of 2018? Unlikely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A year with no NC.
Thanks for the clarification. I’m sort of counting on Z to hang around next season to help deliver the 2nd straight NC, and the following year with Danger, MW, Coombs, Batouly, AEH, Gordon, Molly & Kyla, along with hoped for newbies Brunelle & Boston, and maybe a transfer or two, the championship train just keeps on rolling along.

Of course that would be BAD for Women’s Basketball. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I like your reply--but I ask YOU--because it sound like Geno has 1, 2, years left--how long does he stay in your opinion?? Until he finds it no long fun or the body says stop , if the latter he has 15- 20 years

I have no idea how long he's staying..........he is only 63 after all.........by comparison Muffet is 61 and Tara V is 64..........physically he doesn't look or sound within 10-15 years of retirement age..........I'm sure it's going to come down to a question of when all of the work just isn't worth the effort anymore and who's to say when that will happen

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here is my position on lean recruiting this year. Would you rather watch your team win or would rather play and try to win. The only 2018 prospects with a chance for minutes next year are the top 3-5 in ranking. So how many stud super stars are going to come to UConn? If I'm ranked top 10 - 25. I'm going to go to a good school. I'm going to win some tourneys, I'm going to win some conferences and I'm going to get my name in the paper. Turn pro in Turkey and make $250,000.
Why bother watching KLS, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, Z, Walker, Batouley.

When there is a chance for freshmen to get minutes, UCONN will score in the recruiting.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how long he's staying.....he is only 63 after all....by comparison Muffet is 61 and Tara V is 64.....physically he doesn't look or sound within 10-15 years of retirement age.....I'm sure it's going to come down to a question of when all of the work just isn't worth the effort anymore and who's to say when that will happen
all he's ever said (IIRC) is that he doesn't want to be coaching when he's 80.

Reaction Score
BTW.........when we talk about UConn not having recruiting success with the 2018 class, does anybody have a good count about how many offers UConn actually made?
There's a big difference between going zero or one for five and going zero or one for fifteen............I think we're a lot closer to the former then the latter............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Geno’s longevity will come down to his health/energy level as his passion for the game will always be there.

I’m glad he gave up the Olympic gig, because it was clear that was taking a lot out of him. I’m hoping for another 10-12 years, but if Geno decides tomorrow that this is his last rodeo, I’ll be extremely grateful for everything he accomplished.

Reaction Score
all he's ever said (IIRC) is that he doesn't want to be coaching when he's 80.
t

As I have all too often said: Geno will stay until it is no long fun, ie it becomes a chore or drudgery like most of us who liked what we were doing. It would be a dis-service to Uconn or the coach that follows him for him to announce: I'll retire in 2022 or some such date. The kids that come to Uconn for several years there after will have Geno methods is not his personality if Shea, Christine (which I doubt will stay) or Marisa stay.

Reaction Score
t

As I have all too often said: Geno will stay until it is no long fun, ie it becomes a chore or drudgery like most of us who liked what we were doing. It would be a dis-service to Uconn or the coach that follows him for him to announce: I'll retire in 2022 or some such date. The kids that come to Uconn for several years there after will have Geno methods is not his personality if Shea, Christine (which I doubt will stay) or Marisa stay.

I think if Shea, Marissa and maybe another former player take over as the coaching staff, it will still be a very attractive option for highly ranked recruits

Reaction Score
Closest has been (since '94)

1999 - Kennitra Johnson
2001 - Ashley Valley (Stacey Marron w/o)
2009 - Kelly Faris
2013 - Saniya Chong (Tierney Lawlor w/o)
I loved watching KJ play! She was on that stacked team of 2001 that had Shea, Sue, Sveta and Diana. She would have made Taurasis life easier in 2003.

Reaction Score
Bags I'm sure you are correct in the WHISPERING, it has happened before--remember--"Uconn is a white girls school"??? That dog died and Geno thought he put this new dog to rest with his statements about retiring--if ever. Any kid that listenS to that BULL, will listen and believe CAMPAIGN RHETORIC!! The less than truthful coaches out there have and will say anything to lure a top recruit away from Geno. Remember a legend's use of a Recruits Jersey with her name on it and a bit stronger lure??
Ann Strother and Tennessee!

Reaction Score
I think if Shea, Marissa and maybe another former player take over as the coaching staff, it will still be a very attractive option for highly ranked recruits
Maybe CD stays for the transition for 1 or 2 years. I assume a former player and I would say Shea would have the inside track right now. Imo Sue Bird would be a great choice also.

Reaction Score
I loved watching KJ play! She was on that stacked team of 2001 that had Shea, Sue, Sveta and Diana. She would have made Taurasis life easier in 2003.
KJ--I've said this before, we, the wife and I liked her, at a Gampel game we noticed the team all together and she was sitting up high in the stands--all alone. The wife spoke with her for 20 minutes, super nice kid. Obviously there were some problems with who or what I don't care. KJ was a terrific guard in the mold of Rene Montgomery. She was fun to watch. She transferred then transferred again--lost track of her. I wish her well and health.

Reaction Score
Maybe CD stays for the transition for 1 or 2 years. I assume a former player and I would say Shea would have the inside track right now. Imo Sue Bird would be a great choice also.

Sue Bird sure would be a great choice at some point...........I wonder what her level of interest is in coaching........

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As an elite recruit, It’s probably harder to turn down UConn than it is to accept an offer. If you’re an elite recruit people almost expect you to go to UConn and nowhere else. Not just UConn fans either.. everyone expects that recruit to want to go to UConn and they find it hard to believe when an elite recruit just doesn’t want to go to UConn.. it’s almost a “Well are you crazy? It’s UConn!” sort of response. Going against that peer pressure has to be tough, so when I read about a recruit receiving interest from UConn but chooses to go elsewhere I commend them because I’m aware of the pressure that recruit probably faced turning down Connecticut.

For example, read an article (especially local articles) on any elite player in the 2019, 2020 or 2021... there’s always that part that says something like “____ is receiving offers from schools across the country, including UConn” or “11-time National title winning head coach Geno Auriemma has been by to watch ____ work out” ... stuff like that builds the expectation that if you’re a top player, you should be looking at UConn and nowhere else.

If an elite player turns down THAT kind of pressure to go to a school they really want to, then it shouldn’t be looked at as “well they didn’t want to be coached hard and reach their fullest potential”.. that recruit probably made a really smart personal decision that worked best for them. No recruit with a UConn offer turns it down lightly. We should give them the benefit of the doubt. If I were a UConn fan I’d much rather have that then have a player here that doesn’t really want to be here, only to transfer later.

Reaction Score
I

I love everything Sue Bird but coaching isn't playing and Shea has ooodles of coaching experience. To make Uconn Sue's first coaching job IMO would be a disaster--give Sue 5 years around the coaching circuit then maybe she'd be a coach. A year or 5 ago I would have reject Shea, but now she--in my opinion--is the ONLY choice. Next choice Jamelle and or Tanya--experienced.\
CD may stay for a short transition period, but only if it feels right. The next coach does not need anyone looking over HER shoulders.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird sure would be a great choice at some point......I wonder what her level of interest is in coaching...
Being one of the best pg of all time it should be easier for her to go from player to coach! Playing and coaching are 2 entirely different things!

Reaction Score
I

I love everything Sue Bird but coaching isn't playing and Shea has ooodles of coaching experience. To make Uconn Sue's first coaching job IMO would be a disaster--give Sue 5 years around the coaching circuit then maybe she'd be a coach. A year or 5 ago I would have reject Shea, but now she--in my opinion--is the ONLY choice. Next choice Jamelle and or Tanya--experienced.\
CD may stay for a short transition period, but only if it feels right. The next coach does not need anyone looking over HER shoulders.
Sue would be in same position as Kevin Ollie was except KO assisted Calhoun 2 years before being HC. Ollie became HC before Karl Hobbs, George Blaney and Coach Miller. All 3 were Division 1 head coaches and on Calhouns staff.

Reaction Score
As an elite recruit, It’s probably harder to turn down UConn than it is to accept an offer. If you’re an elite recruit people almost expect you to go to UConn and nowhere else. Not just UConn fans either.. everyone expects that recruit to want to go to UConn and they find it hard to believe when an elite recruit just doesn’t want to go to UConn.. it’s almost a “Well are you crazy?

If an elite player turns down THAT kind of pressure to go to a school they really want to, then it shouldn’t be looked at as “well they didn’t want to be coached hard and reach their fullest potential”.. that recruit probably made a really smart personal decision that worked best for them. No recruit with a UConn offer turns it down lightly. We should give them the benefit of the doubt. If I were a UConn fan I’d much rather have that then have a player here that doesn’t really want to be here, only to transfer later.

I appreciate your thoughtful response on this and for the most part I agree with you.............here's why most Boneyarders are somewhat amazed when UConn looses out on a recruit................. if a highly touted recruit who wants to become a professional basketball player gets a UConn offer and turns it down, they are assured of two things at the current time..........one......they are less likely to win an NC and two.........they are not going to receive the highest level of collegiate basketball coaching possible........if the recruit wants to win and wants to become the best player they can be then any other choice just doesn't make sense to us..........for those with other priorities there are certainly other great choices out there
and like you said, transfers are not a fun option for the player or the team...........

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I seem to remember one year, there were three recruits, who all ultimately left. Liz Sherwood's class, I believe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughtful response on this and for the most part I agree with you...here's why most Boneyarders are somewhat amazed when UConn looses out on a recruit....... if a highly touted recruit who wants to become a professional basketball player gets a UConn offer and turns it down, they are assured of two things at the current time.....one.they are less likely to win an NC and two....they are not going to receive the highest level of collegiate basketball coaching possible...if the recruit wants to win and wants to become the best player they can be then any other choice just doesn't make sense to us.....for those with other priorities there are certainly other great choices out there
and like you said, transfers are not a fun option for the player or the team......
I liked SCG's response as well. And I sort of disagree with what you post here. There are 140 or so WNBA players each year and the uconn contingent is never 10% even discounting foreign players so 90+% of the US collegiate WNBA players went elsewhere. The odds for anyone coming out of HS making the pros in four years and having a serious career not named Parker or Moore or Stewart or Griner are pretty slim. And they are slimmer if they are not enjoying the collegiate experience.

There are so many factors going into college choice, that putting it all on a WNBA career or an NC, and then adding that Geno and Uconn are the 'only guarantee' is not logical.

And I understand all the fans and posters here who disagree with choices that are not Uconn (I have probably posted something like that myself!) These are kids in the process of learning to be adults, making likely the first life altering decision of their lives - and it isn't all basketball.

Reaction Score
I liked SCG's response as well. And I sort of disagree with what you post here. There are 140 or so WNBA players each year and the uconn contingent is never 10% even discounting foreign players so 90+% of the US collegiate WNBA players went elsewhere. The odds for anyone coming out of HS making the pros in four years and having a serious career not named Parker or Moore or Stewart or Griner are pretty slim. And they are slimmer if they are not enjoying the collegiate experience.

There are so many factors going into college choice, that putting it all on a WNBA career or an NC, and then adding that Geno and Uconn are the 'only guarantee' is not logical.

And I understand all the fans and posters here who disagree with choices that are not Uconn (I have probably posted something like that myself!) These are kids in the process of learning to be adults, making likely the first life altering decision of their lives - and it isn't all basketball.

I agree with your premise, that's why I specified highly rated recruits who's ultimate goal is to play professionally..........meaning players that have a higher likelihood of playing pro basketball somewhere in the world, although not necessarily the WNBA.........no doubt the vast majority of college players have different goals and therefore different criteria in choosing a school

Reaction Score
Sue would be in same position as Kevin Ollie was except KO assisted Calhoun 2 years before being HC. Ollie became HC before Karl Hobbs, George Blaney and Coach Miller. All 3 were Division 1 head coaches and on Calhouns staff.
That was men coaching men, I'm sure you have read or heard the difference, just ain't the same. Some of those you mention had issues that precluded them from taking over, certainly George the HC head coach didn't want the job.. There was a bit of a scandal going. Something with Christine or Geno you won't have with WBB. But this is off topic.
Sue is a great point guard, nice person, has loads of people following her every move but no experience. How many times has a great BB player been anointed coach and flopped. In the WcBB game olympic and Wnba stars were terrible and fired.
I will leave this at this: If I were hiring for that replacement right now it would be Shea not Sue. Shea has the toughness to dictate what she demands. Sue I don't know, sure she is a tough PG but she has a coach behind her. Nuff sed.

Reaction Score
That was men coaching men, I'm sure you have read or heard the difference, just ain't the same. Some of those you mention had issues that precluded them from taking over, certainly George the HC head coach didn't want the job.. There was a bit of a scandal going. Something with Christine or Geno you won't have with WBB. But this is off topic.
Sue is a great point guard, nice person, has loads of people following her every move but no experience. How many times has a great BB player been anointed coach and flopped. In the WcBB game olympic and Wnba stars were terrible and fired.
I will leave this at this: If I were hiring for that replacement right now it would be Shea not Sue. Shea has the toughness to dictate what she demands. Sue I don't know, sure she is a tough PG but she has a coach behind her. Nuff sed.

I'd love for SR to take the head coaching job with MM as her assistant but if Sue Bird wants to join the staff I'd be thrilled...............having her walk into a recruit's house would be a pretty special experience

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughtful response on this and for the most part I agree with you...here's why most Boneyarders are somewhat amazed when UConn looses out on a recruit....... if a highly touted recruit who wants to become a professional basketball player gets a UConn offer and turns it down, they are assured of two things at the current time.....one.they are less likely to win an NC and two....they are not going to receive the highest level of collegiate basketball coaching possible...if the recruit wants to win and wants to become the best player they can be then any other choice just doesn't make sense to us.....for those with other priorities there are certainly other great choices out there and like you said, transfers are not a fun option for the player or the team......
There are at least a couple of incorrect assumptions in that line of thinking.
One assumption is that we know why everyone comes to UCONN WBB and it's for the same reasons: to win NC, to become a professional basketball players, or to be coached by Geno etc. In reality we do not know why the decide to come & there are many different reasons. Far more dangerous is the assumption that we know why players don't come to UCONN and the attribution of weakness to those that decide not to come: not up to the challenge, didn't want to be great, didn't want to be coached hard etc. Geno and CD have created from scratch a great institution call UCONN WBB. It takes special players to sustain what has been created by CD and Geno. If every kid that got a UCONN offer accepted, suddenly UCONN would not be so special anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom