Uconn with no recruits in class of 2018? Unlikely. | The Boneyard

Uconn with no recruits in class of 2018? Unlikely.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Come on really. No recruits. Nope. Guess what Im thinking. CW and Nelson Ododa havent committed yet. So Im thinking we get one of them or both of them. I really like our chances alot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Come on really. No recruits. Nope. Guess what Im thinking. CW and Nelson Ododa havent committed yet. So Im thinking we get one of them or both of them. I really like our chances alot.
I sincerely hope you’re right, but UConn has had lean recruiting years before, most recently when Saniya was a class of 1, and it was typically followed by several strong recruiting years: Gabby & Kia the next year, Lou & Pheesa the following year and so on.

So if the Huskies whiff on the class of 2018, I’m expecting Brunelle, Boston, etc. to end up in Storrs the following year.

Reaction Score
You know what a
I sincerely hope you’re right, but UConn has had lean recruiting years before, most recently when Saniya was a class of 1, and it was typically followed by several strong recruiting years: Gabby & Kia the next year, Lou & Pheesa the following year and so on.

So if the Huskies whiff on the class of 2018, I’m expecting Brunelle, Boston, etc. to end up in Storrs the following year.
Ugh. You know what a whiff leads to in the end.

Reaction Score

Has it happened before?

Reaction Score
Recruiting is what it is. There is only one way to see this and that is Uconn will get a top recruit. If we fans can't believe these young ladies shall choose Uonn, why should they? \ I have hi hopes hi apple pie in the sky hopes.

Reaction Score
I agree. The program is simply too rewarding for top prospects to stay away. And to some degree, the problem is self-correcting, as lean recruiting years lead to a direct increase in the impact that a good prospect will have and experience by coming to Connecticut. It's for these reasons that I also believe the current lack of new post players may ultimately end up being solved by more transfers, like Z.

Reaction Score
I definitely don't think it's closed yet, but the window to be coached for an entire 4 years by Geno will start to close soon--or at least potential recruits will be asking that question and opposing coaches will be whispering it in the ears of recruits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I definitely don't think it's closed yet, but the window to be coached for an entire 4 years by Geno will start to close soon--or at least potential recruits will be asking that question and opposing coaches will be whispering it in the ears of recruits.
That’s why Geno should always be signed to a 5-yr contract extension. He can tell recruits I plan to be at UConn for at least 5 years.

Reaction Score
There are only 2 types of recruits IMHO, 1 is the player with major talent that talks a good game but doesn't want to work as hard as Geno and his staff requires and chooses somewhere else where they can coast and be very successful but not reach their ultimate heights! And 2 the player also with major talent that is low key, signs her letter of intent on the hood of her Dad's truck, and dreams of reaching all her goals and become the best she can be no matter what it takes and will retire content in the fact that she did everything humanly possible to be the best she could be and will be a success no matter what field she chooses because of the foundation poured at UCONN!
It's really that simple, if they are recruited by UCONN and other schools and don't choose UCONN it's because they're scared off by the huge demand on their talent and their time! No matter what they say, they are not driven personalities!
Remember when a student picks a College they are making plans to leave "the nest" and get on with the rest of their lives! They are leaving home and starting a new chapter! So saying they want to stay close to home is an excuse! You choose the best place that will drive you to be successful socially, athletically, and in education, and prepare you for what the world demands of you!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think that this view is completely unfair. Although UCONN is clearly the best program in WBB, with the best coach/staff, not every talented recruit who decides to go elsewhere does so because "they're scared off by the huge demand on their talent and their time." Academics come into play (a Stanford education is difficult to turn down), as does location (the ability of family to attend games, etc.). And there can be other (legitimate) reasons as well. Being the best game in town doesn't mean you are the only one or necessarily the "best" for all comers, and denigrating every potential UCONN recruit who chooses (for whatever reason) to go elsewhere is an activity that imo does not belong on a board celebrating the many achievements of the Women's BB Program at UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that this view is completely unfair. Although UCONN is clearly the best program in WBB, with the best coach/staff, not every talented recruit who decides to go elsewhere does so because "they're scared off by the huge demand on their talent and their time." Academics come into play (a Stanford education is difficult to turn down), as does location (the ability of family to attend games, etc.). And there can be other (legitimate) reasons as well. Being the best game in town doesn't mean you are the only one or necessarily the "best" for all comers, and denigrating every potential UCONN recruit who chooses (for whatever reason) to go elsewhere is an activity that imo does not belong on a board celebrating the many achievements of the Women's BB Program at UCONN.

Everything I wanted to say but said much more eloquently than I could (would) have said it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are only 2 types of recruits IMHO, 1 is the player with major talent that talks a good game but doesn't want to work as hard as Geno and his staff requires and chooses somewhere else where they can coast and be very successful but not reach their ultimate heights! And 2 the player also with major talent that is low key, signs her letter of intent on the hood of her Dad's truck, and dreams of reaching all her goals and become the best she can be no matter what it takes and will retire content in the fact that she did everything humanly possible to be the best she could be and will be a success no matter what field she chooses because of the foundation poured at UCONN!
It's really that simple, if they are recruited by UCONN and other schools and don't choose UCONN it's because they're scared off by the huge demand on their talent and their time! No matter what they say, they are not driven personalities!
Remember when a student picks a College they are making plans to leave "the nest" and get on with the rest of their lives! They are leaving home and starting a new chapter! So saying they want to stay close to home is an excuse! You choose the best place that will drive you to be successful socially, athletically, and in education, and prepare you for what the world demands of you!
I'm sure, I could not disagree with any more that I do. UCONN is a special place but not for everyone. Those BB players that choose not to come to UCONN are really making a harder decision in many cases and I hope we can all get to the point where we respect the decisions and wish them well. Everyday, 17 and 18 year old young men and women, such as those that choose to defend this country, are making far more important decisions that deciding where to college. Going to college is not a permanent decision about what you do with the rest of your life, it a decision to explore the possibilities. Perhaps this next part will sting a bit; there are many better schools to explore the possibilities for your life than UCONN even for the most talented Women's basketball players.

Reaction Score
Bags I'm sure you are correct in the WHISPERING, it has happened before--remember--"Uconn is a white girls school"??? That dog died and Geno thought he put this new dog to rest with his statements about retiring--if ever. Any kid that listenS to that BULL, will listen and believe CAMPAIGN RHETORIC!! The less than truthful coaches out there have and will say anything to lure a top recruit away from Geno. Remember a legend's use of a Recruits Jersey with her name on it and a bit stronger lure??

Reaction Score

well then how much is each year of Geno's tutelage worth to a recruit?...........wouldn't you still take two years of Geno followed by two more with one of his disciples over most any other program?

Reaction Score
I'm sure, I could not disagree with any more that I do. UCONN is a special place but not for everyone. Those BB players that choose not to come to UCONN are really making a harder decision in many cases and I hope we can all get to the point where we respect the decisions and wish them well. Everyday, 17 and 18 year old young men and women, such as those that choose to defend this country, are making far more important decisions that deciding where to college. Going to college is not a permanent decision about what you do with the rest of your life, it a decision to explore the possibilities. Perhaps this next part will sting a bit; there are many better schools to explore the possibilities for your life than UCONN even for the most talented Women's basketball players.

While I agree with your comparison to the military and life long choices I believe that mostly right. Also, Uconn or any school even STANFORD, MIT, RPI, Oklahoma City are not for everyone. Uconn is not the last school in the list of academics. Unless it has changed in the many years since I was there ; Uconn has produced not only W or M BB players or football players or tiddly wink player--MANY have been successful in their fields of endeavor.
I have middle age daughter that attended some of the schools believed to be the best and Uconn and West Chester (Geno's ) school. They are all successful. But success is not measured (as you of all people know) buy dollars alone but even by that measure they are successful and contributing.
I keep reading this about Uconn as not a TOP University--it is --depending upon what you want to be tops in. And they make as good a waiter as any from Cal Tech, MIT, Duke, ND, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
well then how much is each year of Geno's tutelage worth to a recruit?......wouldn't you still take two years of Geno followed by two more with one of his disciples over most any other program?
I like your reply--but I ask YOU--because it sound like Geno has 1, 2, years left--how long does he stay in your opinion?? Until he finds it no long fun or the body says stop , if the latter he has 15- 20 years

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I agree with your comparison to the military and life long choices I believe that mostly right. Also, Uconn or any school even STANFORD, MIT, RPI, Oklahoma City are not for everyone. Uconn is not the last school in the list of academics. Unless it has changed in the many years since I was there ; Uconn has produced not only W or M BB players or football players or tiddly wink player--MANY have been successful in their fields of endeavor.
I have middle age daughter that attended some of the schools believed to be the best and Uconn and West Chester (Geno's ) school. They are all successful. But success is not measured (as you of all people know) but dollars alone but even by that measure they are successful and contributing.
I keep reading this about Uconn as not a TOP University--it is --depending upon what you want to be tops in. And they make as good a waiter as any from Cal Tech, MIT, Duke, ND, etc.
UCONN is a top University- there should be no doubt about that and it was not my intent to imply that it isn't. My point, however clumsily expressed, is that for even the most talented HS basketball players UCONN is one of many ( not the only) good schools to explore the possibilities of life.

Reaction Score
UCONN is a top University- there should be no doubt about that and it was not my intent to imply that it isn't. My point, however clumsily expressed, is that for even the most talented HS basketball players UCONN is one of many ( not the only) good schools to explore the possibilities of life.

Excuse my zest in being protective of Uconn---I know from whence you came, academically (a bit) and the honorable a person you are--I suggest we both did a bit of the clumsily routine. In terms of recruits--some want academic and BB and some want academics and others just BB. With the schedule Uconn has I'm not surprised that academic take harder work.

HGN

Reaction Score
This recruiting 'slowdown' always seem to happen when UConn gets a loaded team with some talented freshmen and sophomores. Kids seem to think that PT is
going to be hard to come by so they hesitate in signing with the Huskies. Many want guaranteed PT , others are afraid of the team competition for PT.

But those that are not afraid and those that are confident in their own ability and talent know that iron sharpens iron . They come to UConn knowing that they will be much better 4 yrs from then.
I think UConn is one of the few programs in the country that sometimes get No or few recruits , because they are good. And because they are picky of the ones they really want.
Some programs get No recruits because they are so bad. Not the Huskies. They got one(1) recruit 4yrs ago (Saniya). Right after the Stewie , MoJeff, and Tuck haul. They took Saniya and 2 -walk-ons
and won a NC. So don't count them out yet..........Multiple recruits or No recruits.

Reaction Score
As impossible as it is, I have tried to put my self in the shoes of CW- SC or Uconn? At SC, I would play for a legend pg and current U.S Team coach, perhaps play immediately or sooner and, put SC in a position to win a NC-- just like Aja. At Uconn, I'll sit, perhaps, for a year (2?), be part of 1 or 2 NC, and have the opportunity to be among a list of outstanding pg from the School. The X-factor lies in the personal!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom