UConn vs. Xavier post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Xavier post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honeslty don't know how to assess our performance, given the level of the competition. Based on our recent games, I am feeling a little less concerned when Ines comes in. She clearly appears to belong out there on the floor. Amari, not so much -- even against opponents that are barely D-I level.
If you wanted to give the starters some rest, why wouldn't you play Ines more in a blowout game like this, especially in a 32 to 0 run. I continue to wonder what the problem is here, she plays hard when given a chance, is a more than adequate defender and seems to have a good attitude. You can't get better if you don't get actual game experience. Go figure...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you wanted to give the starters some rest, why wouldn't you play Ines more in a blowout game like this, especially in a 32 to 0 run. I continue to wonder what the problem is here, she plays hard when given a chance, is a more than adequate defender and seems to have a good attitude. You can't get better if you don't get actual game experience. Go figure...
You should post more. :)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I liked the way that Ice played. She was overall much more active and was getting to rebounds outside of her zone. Her outside shot also looked softer, she has had a tendency to shoot back-rim clanging line drives but it looked good last night. Some nice moves inside as well.

I also liked how Paige came out shooting and wish she had continued to do so.

I liked seeing Q fly by everyone on a fast break and get rewarded with the hoop. She can motor.

I liked 31 assists on 36 baskets, and Nika getting 11 of them to move further up the list. I think she has a better than even chance of breaking the career assists record.

I liked that the starters got some rest especially games coming up on Friday and Monday.

Better shooting from three and a better fourth quarter effort would have been nice. But take the win and move on. No reason UConn can`t run the table going into the NCAA Tournament.

Now on to Senior Night with the ceremonies being held AFTER the game. That, and the "will I stay or will I go" vibe, could make for a strange night.

Reaction Score
The last time I listened to a game on radio was when Jerry West was playing college ball. Lot less static these days. Very disappointed with the less than professional way Fox shut us out

Reaction Score
When you are the worst in the Big East that is not a good sign for your program. UConn will continue to stroll through the conference and will get a three or four seed in the tournament which could be good if they have the group proposed this week. They are the best small team out there but last nights game meant nothing unless they did something different than they have been to compete with longer teams. Ice having a good game is a positive for sure.

Reaction Score
We pretty much are locked into a 7 player rotation. FOUR are freshman. So, I don't look at simply wins or stats, but individual player progression. ICE. Her conditioning is really improving, and she is working hard to adjust to the college pace. When you can breathe, then you can think and play. I liked that they got her the ball in SPACE and BELOW the foul line and isolated against no more than 2 defenders. Keep that up.

Q wasn't "highly" recruited but trust me when I say that she will not leave UCONN without being an impactful player on both ends of the floor. She's coachable as he!!. When know she is not shy about shooting and that is a good thing. And that high arching jump shot is just really beautiful. I want to see her mix in backdoor cuts to the rim with that jumper to keep the defense honest. She's long and a good finisher. Weight training in the off season and I anticipate a significant sophomore jump.

Reaction Score
But... Ines played 14 minutes, beginning in the second quarter at the 6:42 mark (with one
assist at about the one-minute mark). She came back in the fourth quarter at the 7:27 mark and finished the game with
two rebounds, one assist and one BLOCK!!! on zero for two shooting, she missed a three pointer. Did you notice the
nice passes she made? Being a nature Point Guard perhaps she is a "first pass" type of
team player? GO INES!

Reaction Score
We pretty much are locked into a 7 player rotation. FOUR are freshman. So, I don't look at simply wins or stats, but individual player progression. ICE. Her conditioning is really improving, and she is working hard to adjust to the college pace. When you can breathe, then you can think and play. I liked that they got her the ball in SPACE and BELOW the foul line and isolated against no more than 2 defenders. Keep that up.

Q wasn't "highly" recruited but trust me when I say that she will not leave UCONN without being an impactful player on both ends of the floor. She's coachable as he!!. When know she is not shy about shooting and that is a good thing. And that high arching jump shot is just really beautiful. I want to see her mix in backdoor cuts to the rim with that jumper to keep the defense honest. She's long and a good finisher. Weight training in the off season and I anticipate a significant sophomore jump.
Q also looks like an antelope (e.g. like Aubrey) on those transition fast breaks, catching those
"post pattern" passes from Nike, KK, and Ash (one of those catches is on the highlight
reel of Ash's early season highlights: a magnificent pass, superb catch, and fantastic finish!). Go Q!!!.

Reaction Score
Finally got to see the game on the Fox replay. A few observations:
  • There is no problem with the defense. The offense can sputter but the defense doesn’t. This means Geno has established a foundation.
  • They are seven. This number is not going to change. The only question is whether Ice and Q can average 40 mins between them. If they can’t, it means a lot of minutes for the starters. So far it looks like they’re not quite ready for that responsibility in a competitive game.
  • Inês hasn’t earned a rotation spot yet, but she looks like she could contribute if I can judge merely from her energy and athleticism.

As for Xavier, they have a well-respected new coach, Billy Chambers, who is at the very beginning of a building project. If everything goes her way it will likely take at least 5 years to get into the competitive middle of the BE. Currently, her players just don’t have the athleticism to run with UConn, or Creighton or Marquette or Villanova yet. This could mean an opportunity for a few unheralded hs recruits, kids who have the strength and speed but not the skills (yet) to catch the attention of the scouts. I hope the Xavier AD has the patience to let the coach do the long and arduous work of building a winner.

Reaction Score
Even though we could use help inside, I hope this convinces people not to call for Amari to play more.
Backwards for me.

Last night she presented, to me, as unusually dispirited, utterly out of sorts. Easy to draw conclusions as to why, but, as posted by others, the only way to improve is to play minutes in real game situations. Again, as noted previously, a talented, highly recruited, 15th ranked overall, 3rd ranked post, doesn't just lose it. We can speculate (not here) but without being in that locker room, and at practice, it's just noise.

Either way, it's clear Ms. Bettancourt is a talented guard. I share in the hopes of others, for seeing more of her, in minutes that actually matter.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
That box score for UCONN has lots of tasty treats for discussion. I was most impressed by

-- overall shooting percentage for the game

-- 31 assists on 36 made baskets. Is that a program record?

-- Only 5 fouls called on UCONN in 40 minutes of play.

It sounds like UCONN did whatever it wanted to do and received very little resistance from the opposition.

Reaction Score
That box score for UCONN has lots of tasty treats for discussion. I was most impressed by

-- overall shooting percentage for the game

-- 31 assists on 36 made baskets. Is that a program record?

-- Only 5 fouls called on UCONN in 40 minutes of play.

It sounds like UCONN did whatever it wanted to do and received very little resistance from the opposition.

Just imagine what it would have looked like if UConn had scored more than 3 points in the last 6:22 of the game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Weight training in the off season and I anticipate a significant sophomore jump.
Agree on all points. Plus, I think she should add some mashed potatoes and milk gravy to her diet.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Xavier was completely out classed and no wonder they are the bottom feeders of the Big East. The starters did what was expected of them, and Brady was "Icing" on the cake. Amari appears to be regressing, hope she is OK.
Amari. Bless her heart.

She didn't look like she felt good. I hope she is not having back pain. A few games ago when she got extended minutes she did a lot of good things. This game was the total opposite. It was sad to see her drop her head after a couple of misplays. A quick shot of her after the game made her look to be on the edge of crying. That of course could have totally not been the case.

In any event, I will continue to think good thoughts about her and hope that things will get better.

Reaction Score
Agree- and playtime is something players being recruited notice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I am constantly wishing for Nesh to get more minutes. Beyond what you've said, she impresses as an athlete.

It's been a catastrophic year injury-wise, and one more would be Armageddon. And if Paige chooses to depart, Nesh would be the only true point guard on the squad besides KK. (I'm not counting on Morgan Cheli being a point guard at the college level.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom