UConn vs. Xavier post game | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Xavier post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, the MOV per Vegas was about 45 with a predicted score of 89-44. Clearly the oddsmakers got it wrong. Not not by much. The 4th Q was a sloppy mess. But the first 3 Q's featured stifling defense. Xavier shot 20% from 3. 8-39. YIKES. But 6 of those came in Q4 with all our reserves in. Geno had the team slow the game down in the 2nd half. HOWEVER as enjoyable as the smackdown was, keep in mind Xavier is absolutely dreadful. 1-21 overall and 0-13 in the BE. So as nice as it was to see the bench contribute, I think we are all aware that they can't do it against elite competition. The effort is there, the experience is not (yet). Having said that, it has to feel good for them to contribute and see the ball go into the basket, as well as rebound, dish assists, make steals, etc.

The first 3 minutes were a tad ragged (down 6-4), then it was off to the races with a 32-0 run. UConn had several other runs as well throughout the game, but holy cow the beatdown was on. Xavier "only" had 16 turnovers (they average about 20 per game) and 13 of them were on steals. KK led the way with 5.
  • Paige and Aaliya seemed like they could score whenever they wanted (aside from missed 3's and a few other missed shots). I think Liya had a double double, or close to it, at halftime. Paige not only scoring, but assisting as well.
  • Nika "only" scored 7, but had 11 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and only 1 TO.
  • 31 total assists on 36 made baskets. Not sure what the record % is for UConn for an entire game, but that has to be up there.
  • Some extended minutes for Ice and Q. Ice shot 5-5 with 14 boards. Oh and 3 assists too. Really nice game for Ice.
  • IMHO I did not like Q and Ash shooting so much. they went 9-24 overall and 4-12 from 3. When the 3 is not falling, they need to drive to the basket. Ash is 19-20 from the FT line but hardly ever shoots FT's.
  • Paige "only" took 14 shots. I get that they wanted everyone else involved, but shouldn't Paige be taking closer to 20 shots EVERY game? This is not a team who will win against good teams expecting contributions from everyone. Paige can take 18+ shots, and everyone else will still get theirs.
We lost Q4 with Ines, Ash, Q, Ice, and Amari in. 'Nuff said about that. You get my point. Xavier is dreadful and our reserves could not outscore them in Q4.. Bottom line a nice feel good smackdown where everyone got to contribute, but which tells us nothing new about the team. Still, like I said, a feel-good win.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm thinking plenty of BYers are hoping the streaming snafu is a single game thing. Much easier watching the TV than live stats play by play on my phone.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
C47C318B-4651-44A7-B897-36E12E888861.jpeg

Reaction Score
Xavier was completely out classed and no wonder they are the bottom feeders of the Big East. The starters did what was expected of them, and Brady was "Icing" on the cake. Amari appears to be regressing, hope she is OK.

Reaction Score
Xavier was completely out classed and no wonder they are the bottom feeders of the Big East. The starters did what was expected of them, and Brady was "Icing" on the cake. Amari appears to be regressing, hope she is OK.
I honeslty don't know how to assess our performance, given the level of the competition. Based on our recent games, I am feeling a little less concerned when Ines comes in. She clearly appears to belong out there on the floor. Amari, not so much -- even against opponents that are barely D-I level.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How about some X users contact SNY to find out what happened.
Maybe SNY will upload this game to YouTube if enough people tweet them...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's good that they had an easy, relaxing, non-competitive game after the weekend.

But if you were looking for dramatic improvement, change of spots, certainty that they beat a top ten team...there wasn't that much to hang your hat on...

Luckily, our domicile in NY (we're up in VT) gives us SNY so with my new ROKU TV, I was able to see the game.

For those who were counting on FOX and couldn't ... you didn't miss much.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Definitely a miss match tonight. It will take some time for Xavier to be competitive.

Good bounce back game. Ball movement was much better tonight. Defense looked better.

Ice had a good game with a double-double. Need to see it again on Friday.

Aaliyah and Paige doing Aaliyah and Paige things.

Not mentioned so far, but Nika with 11 assist is now 2 assists away from tying Christal Dangerfield with 599 career assists. 3 more and she has 600 career assists and 5th place by herself. Next on the list is Renee Montgomery with 632.

Next up Georgetown and Senior night.

Reaction Score
Not a wild, crazy game....actually, most of it was boring. Once again Paige chooses to pass the ball instead of shooting it (14 shots), Edwards was good as usually, and Brady had a great game. Congrats to Muhl, moving up the ranked in assists, will pass Crystal next game. Amari looks like she has physical issues, not moving well or playing well, maybe it is something else?

Reaction Score
As mentioned, given the level of competition the game went as expected, a feel good win. Lots of physical rest for the team. Had many open looks and knocked them down.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not a wild, crazy game....actually, most of it was boring. Once again Paige chooses to pass the ball instead of shooting it (14 shots), Edwards was good as usually, and Brady had a great game. Congrats to Muhl, moving up the ranked in assists, will pass Crystal next game. Amari looks like she has physical issues, not moving well or playing well, maybe it is something else?
And how many shots should Paige take per game? 20, 25?

You are asking Psige to change her basketball nature. Not that easy.

Reaction Score
I am happy that Paige, Aaliyah, and Nika played less than 30 minutes. Any chance they can get some quality rest minutes, is a huge plus for them and the program. Awesome game by Ice. Sometimes you need games like this to remind yourself "Hey, I can play at this level!" Ice did well on the boards, being active on the floor, and playing with a lot of intensity. Well done, Ice!

Q, Ashlynn, & KK-Outstanding. They are only going to get better. Ashlynn & KK played well. Q got some solid minutes and did not disappoint.

Ines & Amari- I am just glad they got some floor time and did what they could in the minutes they were out there.

We need this game. After that tough loss to South Carolina, we needed a bounce back game. Gear up for the final few games of the Big East season and on to the Big East Tournament.

Well done, UConn!!

Reaction Score
I only got to watch the 1st half due to a Valentine’s Day dinner out, but I was happy to see UConn bounce back and perform to the “typical standards” for UConn teams against inferior opponents (set the tone early and put the game out of reach immediately).

I was a little nervous this game would be like last season after we lost to SCar and then lost to another BE opponent we typically dominated. But I’m glad that was not even remotely that type of game tonight!

BE competition is what it is, but we SHOULD be feasting on these teams, so I will just take the win and go enjoy my evening.

Reaction Score
I mean, wasn’t Ines basically brought on as like a Pulido and Lawlor? Expectations for her are different.
She was, but some people on this site have even opined that she would start for any other Big East team.

Reaction Score
Any analysis of this game can be captured by three words…………Big East Women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom