UConn vs So. Carolina prediction thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs So. Carolina prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
the OP's assessment is pretty well reasoned, but of course, I think the Gamecocks will win because of our experience with tight games and deep bench. I would like to ask why you're overlooking your next 3 games before you play USC, though.

Not overlooking the next three games...just musing the time away while we waited for the Record Setting Blizzard that didn't happen... We are just fans and while we have the luxury of looking ahead and doing these prediction threads on the Boneyard...be assured that Geno and staff have the team focused on the game in front of them and nothing else...it is always one game at a time with UConn... This isn't their first rodeo!

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here as well!

The game at Gampel on Feb. 9th is SoCar 1st time on the big stage in front of those 10,000+ screaming UCONN fans, with all the 9 NC banners, The Wall of Honor, nat'l tv audience, them #1, UCONN #2, time for bs is over, put up the big performance, UCONN has been there many times SoCar never has! MD, ND, PSU, Duke, NoCar, recently has shown up and thought they couldn't lose and did by 20 or more points! And before you throw in Stanford last November, UCONN lost the game Stanford didn't win it! The team now is not even close to the horror show that showed up in Palo Alto on that day!
I think Dawn Staley is feeling too full of herself, and the cockiness that made her a great player will work against her as a coach on her team's 1st big performance!
Until you step on the court at crunch time you are not prepared for the tightness in the pit of your belly as you line up in the center for the ball toss at the start of the game! I truly feel SoCar while very talented will play negatively different than they have all season that night!
UCONN by 20+ points, possibly 70 to 48!

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What of Dawn is hired to replace Geno when he retires? Could happen.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Do you not find predictions of 30 point victories to be arrogant?
Why would you say that. Its not arrogant its fact. UConn beats a lot of good teams by 30 pts. Most by 20+. Heck early in the season when UConn was not playing all that well had a 28 pt turn around at ND and ND is a very good team. Im sorry if you think its arrogant however it is fact. I can see this game, depending on how big of a lead UConn has and how Geno manages the game anywhere between 15 and 30+ pts. No disrespect to SC or their fans but that's what UConn does to teams. I expect Geno to call of the dogs at some point but it wont be until late in the game. I think WCBB fans will understand more when the watch the game. UConn right now is almost unbeatable because of the level theyre at and at the level they are consistently playing to that level an above. Take into consideration that Stewie and KML aren't carrying this team. The team is being carried by all its player who can pick up for each other when somebody is having an off game.

Reaction Score
I think for the Feb 9th game the Huskies should change their nickname to the UConn Henpeckers. Not sure what the mascot graphics would look like. Any suggestions?:)

Reaction Score
With what the SoCar fans are saying comparing the dregs of the AAC to the 'riches of the SEC". When was the last time the SEC won a National Title? Let alone make a Final Four Championship game! And TX am was a member of the Big 12 when they won in 2011!

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here as well!

The game at Gampel on Feb. 9th is SoCar 1st time on the big stage in front of those 10,000+ screaming UCONN fans, with all the 9 NC banners, The Wall of Honor, nat'l tv audience, them #1, UCONN #2, time for bs is over, put up the big performance, UCONN has been there many times SoCar never has! MD, ND, PSU, Duke, NoCar, recently has shown up and thought they couldn't lose and did by 20 or more points! And before you throw in Stanford last November, UCONN lost the game Stanford didn't win it! The team now is not even close to the horror show that showed up in Palo Alto on that day!
I think Dawn Staley is feeling too full of herself, and the cockiness that made her a great player will work against her as a coach on her team's 1st big performance!
Until you step on the court at crunch time you are not prepared for the tightness in the pit of your belly as you line up in the center for the ball toss at the start of the game! I truly feel SoCar while very talented will play negatively different than they have all season that night!
UCONN by 20+ points, possibly 70 to 48!
I tend to agree with you about the potential "big stage" effect on SC, as well as on the likely outcome of the game. With respect to the Stanford game, I know what you are saying, and yes, the current UConn team is now a very different unit from the one that lost at Palo Alto, but, much as we hate it, credit must go out to Stanford. They certainly did win the game...and made the Huskies a much better team as a result. But where I must disagree with you is relative to your rather negative outlook on Dawn. Is she, not unlike GA himself, self-assured, cocky (no pun intended), and a bit arrogant? Sure, and why not...look what she has put together in a relatively short space of time. I, like some others, tend to complain about lack of parity in WCBB. Some on this board correctly respond to those complaints by saying, in essence, "Look, that's not UConn's fault. It's the responsibility of other programs to step it up!" I agree. So here comes Dawn, who's done just that. We all ought to applaud her for it, and even give a nod of appreciation to the kind of contentious personality traits that helped her put it all together. Not to be repetitive, but we UConn fans have read that book before. I know that many here do not share my feelings, but I would much rather see many more intense rivalries develop with more agonizing nail-biters to watch that to sit through many more of the yawners we've been witnessing lately. It's hard to watch so many games being televised these days that show 3/4 empty arenas. Good competition is the only remedy for that, the game needs it, and we all ought to be in favor of it. Thanks, Dawn, for doing your part!

Reaction Score
Do you not find predictions of 30 point victories to be arrogant?

No, just realistic.

"It's because they're afraid that we're on the verge of supplanting them as the top program in WBB. They are upset that we're number one in the polls..."

You are delusional. Enjoy your last week at #1, and prepare for the harsh reality that nobody will be supplanting anybody anytime soon.

Reaction Score
UConn is "almost unbeatable?" Is that like being "almost pregnant?" UConn has a loss already, so by definition they are beatable. And this game is not the first time South Carolina has been on the big stage. They've already played games at Kentucky and Duke which I've heard are pretty big basketball schools and big stages themselves. South Carolina has also proven they have the mental toughness to pull out close games that come down to the wire.

Reaction Score
You don't like the idea of Gabby getting any playing time?
I would certainly include Gabby in my game plan. She is a great offensive rebounder and her quickness and ability to elevate will raise havoc with their bigs. Fouls will get her into trouble but I wouldn't plan on her playing more than 15 minutes anyway.

Reaction Score
You are predicting SCU will score more points against us than they average? What team has ever done that in the last 20 years?

UCONN 83
SCU. 63
Notre Dame. But it took three overtimes to do it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would certainly include Gabby in my game plan. She is a great offensive rebounder and her quickness and ability to elevate will raise havoc with their bigs. Fouls will get her into trouble but I wouldn't plan on her playing more than 15 minutes anyway.
Every game, Gabby reminds me more and more of Nina Davis of Baylor...but PLEASE keep her off of the free throw line...

Reaction Score
You are predicting SCU will score more points against us than they average? What team has ever done that in the last 20 years?

UCONN 83
SCU. 63
USC averages 79 points (cferraro predicted 83-74)

upload_2015-1-28_12-14-24.png

I do like your 83-63 prediction though

Reaction Score
the OP's assessment is pretty well reasoned, but of course, I think the Gamecocks will win because of our experience with tight games and deep bench. I would like to ask why you're overlooking your next 3 games before you play USC, though.
How deep into the bench do you think Dawn will go. Obviously Coates and Wilson. But do you think she will go much farther. I believe Geno goes with Stokes, Williams and maybe Chong but no more. Should be a great game. And overlooking the next three games is because the level of competition is considerably lower than UCONN's. Geno will use them to work on perfecting certain aspects of their game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn is "almost unbeatable?" Is that like being "almost pregnant?" UConn has a loss already, so by definition they are beatable. And this game is not the first time South Carolina has been on the big stage. They've already played games at Kentucky and Duke which I've heard are pretty big basketball schools and big stages themselves. South Carolina has also proven they have the mental toughness to pull out close games that come down to the wire.
I could not agree more! Both Duke and Kentucky have a rich tradition of winning national basketball championships...or wait, you were talking about their women's teams, ah, then....not so much.

Reaction Score
This is going to be one of those ugly games. SC likes to muck things up and I can see that happening in this game. I like our chances though.

UConn: 75

South Carolina: 53

Reaction Score
Why would you say that. Its not arrogant its fact. UConn beats a lot of good teams by 30 pts. Most by 20+. Heck early in the season when UConn was not playing all that well had a 28 pt turn around at ND and ND is a very good team. Im sorry if you think its arrogant however it is fact. I can see this game, depending on how big of a lead UConn has and how Geno manages the game anywhere between 15 and 30+ pts. No disrespect to SC or their fans but that's what UConn does to teams. I expect Geno to call of the dogs at some point but it wont be until late in the game. I think WCBB fans will understand more when the watch the game. UConn right now is almost unbeatable because of the level theyre at and at the level they are consistently playing to that level an above. Take into consideration that Stewie and KML aren't carrying this team. The team is being carried by all its player who can pick up for each other when somebody is having an off game.
Stanford?

Just sayin'...

Reaction Score
I'll wait until the day of the game to offer a prediction. Too much could happen between now and then. I will say that I'd give SC more of a chance if the game was in South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I'll wait until the day of the game to offer a prediction. Too much could happen between now and then. I will say that I'd give SC more of a chance if the game was in South Carolina.
I agree. This making a prediction on a game that is still 2 weeks out is not good for the Mojo...

Reaction Score
Every game, Gabby reminds me more and more of Nina Davis of Baylor...but PLEASE keep her off of the free throw line...
I know nothing about free throw shooting but I noticed that almost every Gabby miss back rims on the left side. For those of you who do know something about FT shooting, does this give a clue as to how she might improve in this area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom