UConn vs ND in the second game on Friday night | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs ND in the second game on Friday night

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1554232392133.png

Doomed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford. As a former altar boy, I'll risk a ruler over my wrist by suggesting we get some church wine and hear Debbie Antonelli talk about the holy trinity of WCBB offense: UConn, Oregon and Notre Dame. And all three of them are in the Final Four. I've heard Deb, in particular, about loving Oregon's outside game; UConn's overall smoothness in the half-court and ND''s downhill approach on the break (Bonus shots for how often Charlie cites Jess Shepard's outlet passes :rolleyes:).

Better yet, bag the church wine, mute the programming network and enjoy your favorite refreshing adult beverage while mulling (pun intended) or watching coverage.
Deb is intelligent, but highly annoying to me.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In last year's loss to ND by three points, UConn shot six free throws and made four. ND shot twenty three ( see , it even takes two words) free throws and made nineteen. That difference was the difference. And it is a statistically significant one to boot. I do not expect each game to have a balanced number of fouls, and some fouls get free throws while others do not. But last year's game was way out of proportion. I sincerely hope the stripes do not decide the game this year. We must find an answer to Young and Ogunbowale smashing their way through the lane , getting a bucket, and one. I wish I knew how often blocks are called as opposed to charges but my sense of it tells me around three to one. A game played well by both teams without serious foul trouble for either is my fond desire. I'll take our chances in a contest like that. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In last year's loss to ND by three points, UConn shot six free throws and made four. ND shot twenty three ( see , it even takes two words) free throws and made nineteen. That difference was the difference. And it is a statistically significant one to boot. I do not expect each game to have a balanced number of fouls, and some fouls get free throws while others do not. But last year's game was way out of proportion. I sincerely hope the stripes do not decide the game this year. We must find an answer to Young and Ogunbowale smashing their way through the lane , getting a bucket, and one. I wish I knew how often blocks are called as opposed to charges but my sense of it tells me around three to one. A game played well by both teams without serious foul trouble for either is my fond desire. I'll take our chances in a contest like that. :)
Some of it is the way N.D. plays--attacking the rim. But since the Skylar years, they have perfected getting questionable calls. That's part of my dislike.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
please please please can ESPN keep the Muffet vs Geno storylines to the barest of minimums , if at all.

I guess I don't understand. Most BY posters complain that there is too little interest/coverage of WCBB. Much of that is aimed at ESPN. Yet when a network tries to generate interest by promoting a rivalry (that may or may not exist) the very same people whine about it.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand. Most BY posters complain that there is too little interest/coverage of WCBB. Much of that is aimed at ESPN. Yet when a network tries to generate interest by promoting a rivalry (that may or may not exist) the very same people whine about it.
Love the rivalry... expect great game.
I went out on a limb and reached out to ESPN to have them teach Andy Landers how to pronounce Olivia Nelson-Ododa. He gets it wrong every time. :mad: it isnt "southern folksy" or professional to pronounce names wrong. Perhaps ONO makes BIG impact on the game so Andy will learn.

Reaction Score
So the two eastern time zone teams play second and the central time zone and west coast teams play first. Makes perfect sense.:confused:

Time zones irrelevant. It's about the matchups for TV. The bigger game is almost always gonna get the later timeslot -- it starts in primetime in the East and, if the game is good, you won't lose those folks to bedtime. In contrast, how many east coasters are gonna stay up late to watch Baylor-Oregon (a lot fewer than CT-ND I guarantee). And people out west who are flipping the dial at 6 or 7 are more likely to stop on a high-profile matchup.

Note that last weekend's men's tournament had Gonzaga-Texas Tech (in LA) ... on at 7 pm eastern, with Duke-Mich St (in DC) at 9pm.

Same idea.

Reaction Score
The “civility” of the the rivalry debacle and Arike’s shots will be the narrative of the pregame.

Few off topic things:

1) Arike reminds me of Jewell Loyd with the shot creativity. Loyd would be the all time leading scorer had she not left early.

2) Napheesa reminds me of Morgan Tuck with the consistency and calmness in the post.

————
This will be a good game. If Jackie Young can be kept in check, I like our chances!

Reaction Score

Arike lived at the line against Stanford. Nothing changes.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Arike lived at the line against Stanford. Nothing changes.
I watched that happen last night ,and so created today's post. Hoping it can stop.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
These are the two faces of people. Quite common.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Love the rivalry... expect great game.
I went out on a limb and reached out to ESPN to have them teach Andy Landers how to pronounce Olivia Nelson-Ododa. He gets it wrong every time. :mad: it isnt "southern folksy" or professional to pronounce names wrong. Perhaps ONO makes BIG impact on the game so Andy will learn.
It is quite tiring for Landers to mispronounce names again and again. And he doesn't even mispronounce them consistently. He gets the same name wrong more than once within the same game break. I do not think it is "southern folksy" , although there are names that are rarely seen in the Deep South. It is at a minimum unprofessional. No one wants their name mangled. It is a sign of disrespect. So it was hilarious when a poster listed him as Andy "Launders" in a thread the other day. Some wonderful karmic justice. :p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drinking game: take a shot every time they show the last second shots from last year’s final four
Sorry, I can't do that. I'd not see the game. They beat the Ms St final shot to death too. Uconn so rarely loses a game (we are never beaten) the pundits are in awe or amazed when that happens.

Reaction Score
Time zones irrelevant. It's about the matchups for TV. The bigger game is almost always gonna get the later timeslot -- it starts in primetime in the East and, if the game is good, you won't lose those folks to bedtime. In contrast, how many east coasters are gonna stay up late to watch Baylor-Oregon (a lot fewer than CT-ND I guarantee). And people out west who are flipping the dial at 6 or 7 are more likely to stop on a high-profile matchup.

Note that last weekend's men's tournament had Gonzaga-Texas Tech (in LA) ... on at 7 pm eastern, with Duke-Mich St (in DC) at 9pm.

Same idea.
I fully realize it's all about the $$$. Just griping that that's the way it is. Which I suppose is kinda silly.

Reaction Score
It is quite tiring for Landers to mispronounce names again and again. And he doesn't even mispronounce them consistently. He gets the same name wrong more that once within the same game break. I do not think it is "southern folksy" , although there are names that are rarely seen in the Deep South. It is at a minimum unprofessional. No one wants their name to mangled. It is a sign of disrespect. So it was hilarious when a poster listed him as Andy "Launders" in a thread the other day. Some wonderful karmic justice. :p
Concur with all... but weird thing...he cant say "Ododa" but has no trouble with Ogunbowale... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
please please please can ESPN keep the Muffet vs Geno storylines to the barest of minimums , if at all.
I wonder if they'll spend any time on the Geno vs. Arike confrontation from the game in December or steer clear?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Your trying to put some bad juju on ND. I don’t like it haha
just covering myself... but seriously ND should’ve beaten UConn at home, this game on a neutral court will be interesting. Louisville took care of business on their home court but couldn’t on a neutral court

Reaction Score
It is quite tiring for Landers to mispronounce names again and again. And he doesn't even mispronounce them consistently. He gets the same name wrong more that once within the same game break. I do not think it is "southern folksy" , although there are names that are rarely seen in the Deep South. It is at a minimum unprofessional. No one wants their name to mangled. It is a sign of disrespect. So it was hilarious when a poster listed him as Andy "Launders" in a thread the other day. Some wonderful karmic justice. :p

As a now Deep South-er, I'm sure you know people that far south have as much trouble with names as anyone from Brooklyn may have. Or Bar Harbor (Pronounce that as a native) Me. Andy isn't my favorite by a long shot ---however, there are some of us who try as we may have trouble with a name or 3. I agree some level of preparation with those names should be done before games and probably is done.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I fancy our chances.
If ND comes out like they did against the Cardinal,
We could be up 25 at the half and even with heroics, the game would be over.
Despite their apparent size advantage, I am less fearful of their front line.
If our early win seemed almost like an accident, a complete game and UConn triumph
wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom