UConn vs. MSU Game Thread | Page 34 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. MSU Game Thread

Reaction Score
UConn is the best program in wcbb. Geno is the ultimate coach as is Chris Dailey. Your team fell short of the ultimate expectation this year (the National Championship). So what. This is normal for most programs. You lost 3 AA's last year and your young team made it to the Final Four. They were awesome.

Reaction Score
They outplayed you tonight. Doesn't mean you don't have the best team - you do. Just not tonight and unfortunately it cost you the National Championship. It happens.

Sure, your right. Outplayed to the point that it took a last second shot in OT to beat us. It took one of our worst games too. I will not take credit away from MS, they played great and deserve it. However missing easy shots at the glass among other things just has our heads scratching because it just was not seen (hardly) this year.

Reaction Score
Don't quite understand why Lou wasn't more involved in the offense. I realize her tourney was a bit sub par for her, but on last possession it should have been first option Lou, Gabby 2nd and Kia 3rd, full stop.

Oh well when you are lucky enough to win 111 the snake is going to bite you sometime.

Reaction Score
It will be kinda embarrassing if, as expected, UConn cleans up on the WBCA AA awards. Tonight's game isn't something you should get on the wall for.

Reaction Score
Feel bad for the team. They were a part of history and just fell short of completing an incredible season. Of course they will be back and I look forward to watching them start another chapter.

Congrats to Mississippi St for making their own history tonight.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It will be kinda embarrassing if, as expected, UConn cleans up on the WBCA AA awards. Tonight's game isn't something you should get on the wall for.

Why? Those awards aren't based on "ONE" game in your season. They worked their butts off all year. All the other teams but one will have their seasons end with a loss too.

Reaction Score
They played like they were trying to protect the title. But it is so thoroughly understandable. They played tight, but who in their right mind can't understand that? It was a great season, and though I am so disappointed, I had tremendous fun watching them this year. And next year is going to be great.

Reaction Score
Sure, your right. Outplayed to the point that it took a last second shot in OT to beat us. It took one of our worst games too. I will not take credit away from MS, they played great and deserve it. However missing easy shots at the glass among other things just has our heads scratching because it just was not seen (hardly) this year.
Of course you are right, but you lost tonight. Why did your team play so badly? Was the pressure too much? Did your girls choke? Was the gameplay wrong? Certainly it wasn't on the coach. IMO, if you just lower your expectations to normal level, I think you will find that your women just didn't perform as well as the MSU women tonight. I am as shocked as any of you that UConn lost, but as I watched the game, it became apparent to me that you probably would lose this game. And you did. You won't have 5 in a row and your win streak is ended, but you are still the best program in wcbb and you are amazing.

Reaction Score
Free throws killed us. We just needed one of the misses to go in. Pheesa's eyes looked so big the whole game. I'm so upset because we had our chances even though this will make next year more enjoyable. I haven't read all of the posts in here, but does anyone else think that the back door was open. I'm no coach, but it seemed they were really denying up close all game and it worked because we never tried to go back door. Again I could be totally wrong, just looked open to me.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

No embarrassment at all. They will be enshrined on the wall at Gampel for a season that gave us more than most of us thought possible.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Clearly you should be coaching UConn because your knowledge and acumen far exceed that of the current coach.

I stated facts about close games. If you don't like it, fine. Doesn't change the fact that in at least each of their last 4 losses they made one head-scratching decision after another down the stretch. You wanna blame all those on the players, all on the coach, some on both? Doesn't matter to me, but they certainly took place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice to see so many former players in the crowd, has anyone seen Mo this year?

Reaction Score
when karlie got injured my immediate thought was katie lou.would it affect her? and they showed uconn team watching stanford game in the 3rd qtr, the look in KLS face looking at karlie says it all.having watched collier and gabby and kia carried this team, i wasnt worried that much.
it so hard to watch napheesa struggling and lou not being lou.yes this is a young team, they lost the mental battle.lou lost it early with karlie's injury.
HUGE no call on that flagrant foul then calling it after msstate had one possession. really??

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why? Those awards aren't based on "ONE" game in your season. They worked their butts off all year. All the other teams but one will have their seasons end with a loss too.
I agree, this doesn't sound like @j66kicker at all

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno and CD are always teaching even more about life than basketball. The lessons they are teaching right now are among the most important they have the opportunity to teach. Life is hard and sometimes even when you give your all you can't have what you most desire or even need but never let it be because you haven't given your sweat, your blood, your best. It won't stop the pain but only then whatever the outcome can you have no regrets.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just had breakfast in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. My plan was to avoid all news of the final four until I return to watch the recorded games, but I doubt I'll have the willpower to do that. Best wishes from here on the other side of the planet to the team, and to all loyal Boneyard fans!! GO HUSKIES!!

I was right... no will power to avoid the news. My thanks to the whole Husky WBB organization for continuing to set the bar for success. All this loss does is to illustrate how very difficult it is to sustain the kind of winning record we have enjoyed over the last 20+ years. This was a season full of wonderful and surprising sucesses... the OOC game run, Gabby and Pheesa's emergence in the nation "best player" conversation, Saniya finally playing to her potential as a genuine leader on the team, and a hundred "wow" moments when the team played near-perfect basketball and/or one player or another did something truely amazing.
It is very much against my nature to say something like this but here goes.... next year, UConn WBB will go undefeated and will get ANOTHER natioal championship. Take it to the bank.

Reaction Score
I'd say the responses have been mostly sportsmanlike and reasonably restrained. But if you think you hear whining, maybe you do. You'll call it what you want to.
If you read the comments during the game people are giving up in the first half and saying the players choke , tight game and people are jumping off the bridge

Reaction Score
Miss St was what the #4 team in the country and it took them playing the game of their lives combined with a crappy game by UConn, to win by 2 points in OT on a buzzer beater in the national semi-final. Yeah Miss St is a great team, but this one also took sun, moon and stars to line up - basically exactly what Geno has been warning us about all season. Hopefully this is the wake up call that Geno had hoped would come during the regular season. I feel bad for our opponents next season. I expect the team to take no prisoners next year Roman campaign style.

Reaction Score
Wait, was that a dream? Did phees really miss those FTS? Did Chong really prematurely drive the ball? Did Lou take a mr miyagi to the throat?? Was Dak Prescot acting like a dueche in front of America at a women's game??? Was all this happening while there was a monsoon rain storm outside my window? Was Doris Burke having a big O as the seconds of overtime ticked to 0?

Nah. Can't be.

Reaction Score
In PARTIAL defense/explanation of Chong's attempt to drive to the basket: From the replays that they showed, especially the one from behind the basket, there was a lot of hardwood in front of her with no one in it when she started in. Looked like a chance to steal a lay up. Maybe from another angle it looked different. Yes, it was a little early to shoot in that situation, but the baskets had been hard to come by. William cut her off and you know the rest. But if she makes a shot there, it's either a win or double OT....Anyway, it's over now, and the team has a lot to be proud of, which I hope they can see once the disappointment subsides...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom