UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Start with the ugly. The only thing I can REALLY pick on after the lengthy holiday rest time is that they came out VERY lethargic to start the game and to start the 2nd half. Both times, Memphis was close to even with UCONN (UCONN up only 12-9 at the 4:45 mark in the 1st half and tied 7-7 at the 4:30 mark in the 2nd half). Other than that, and it's really a nit-picky thing, UCONN dominated in almost every way.

Next - on to the bad - Memphis' Elmore went off for 20 points. While I think the UCONN defense was for the most part, good, Elmore, averaging 13+ PPG this season went off for 20. As far as "bad" goes, it's pretty mild, but UCONN generally does a better job of shutting down the opposing teams' best scoring option(s). In this case they did a better job against leading scorer Creighton who averages 15.5 PPG and was held to 8.

Now for the good - pretty much everything else. Sure there were moments (not counting the start of each half) where UCONN made a few boneheaded plays (forcing passes, dribbling too much or dribbling into traffic), but overall, after the holiday layoff, it was a solid performance. Memphis is really not a good team - they are 5-9 now - so let's not pretend this was anything close to a tough game.

Gabby - she's my POG. She DID pick up 3 fouls in about 3 minutes in the 2nd half, but other than that, played the type of game we've come to expect - almost everywhere on defense, scored in a variety of ways (loved seeing her nail the mid range jumpers), and while she only had 3 boards, she dished out 7 assists and had 4 steals.

Megan - Rusty from missing 2 games? Hardly! She did miss a simple bunny from a terrific pass from Coombs, but other than that, was 5-6 from the floor scoring 12 points and grabbing 4 rebounds.

Kia - Her 3 point shot was off (2-7) and many of the shots she took seemed just a tad rushed - she'd get the pass not in her sweet spot, and need to adjust/shuffle her feet to get the 3 point shot off quickly. Not sure if that affected her accuracy, but it was noticeable. Other than that, played some really solid defense and had 16 points and 4 boards.

Lou - not her best scoring game, but I really thought she stood out especially on defense. Whereas her defense used to be a liability (had a really tough time keeping opponents in front of her when defending them), she seems MUCH better at that and to me it was noticeable in this game. Only 12 points but had 9 boards.

Collier - I think Geno was not happy with her today. While she had 14 points and 9 boards, Geno took her out twice - once in the 1st half in favor of Coombs, and in the 2nd half, she did not return after Walker replaced her - I think it was in the 3rd quarter. She only played 21 minutes. Great productivity, but the 21 minutes IMHO is indicative of Geno's general displeasure with her play.

Dangerfield - she was also benched a time or 2 in the game for some not so great play. Dribbling too much, dribbling into traffic with no back up plan, and some poor passes. Ended up playing 33 minutes with 11 points, but had only 3 assists to 3 turnovers. Love her with the ball, but today she was a tad off.

Stevens - a solid game from her, but not outstanding numbers. I noticed several times in the 2nd half she was roaming around the perimeter, and I still think Geno would rather she not do that. And she may well make 3's in practice, but she's shooting a dreadful 18% (4-22). Also when she goes for a block, she still jackhammers at the defender - a sure way to pick up foul calls.

Coombs - for the first time this season she gets her own mention. 11 minutes, made a bunch of mistakes in the first half, but Geno let her play thru them. Noticeable improvement on defense, and looks more comfortable on the floor.

Irwin - The kid can play. Put her on the floor with most of the core 7 and she looks solid. She's a competent shooter, rebounder, and passer.

Hard to tell much from the rest of the bench BUT... UCONN outscored Memphis 21-7 in Q4. Q4 was the only quarter where UCONN held Memphis to single digits in scoring and much of that time was with the bench players on the floor. For as much as we have criticized them for getting demolished by other teams, they certainly held their own and then some, and that deserves acknowledgement.

Reaction Score
Good: Megan is healthy and becomes the solid 7th man and, she can score. I guess Kyle becomes the 8th man and she can score too

Bad: not really too much.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Bad, another slow start in the 3rd Quarter. Don't understand why its happening so frequently this year. Maybe the starters want to play more minutes. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Start with the ugly. The only thing I can REALLY pick on after the lengthy holiday rest time is that they came out VERY lethargic to start the game and to start the 2nd half. Both times, Memphis was close to even with UCONN (UCONN up only 12-9 at the 4:45 mark in the 1st half and tied 7-7 at the 4:30 mark in the 2nd half). Other than that, and it's really a nit-picky thing, UCONN dominated in almost every way.
I didn't see lethargic at the start of the first half at all. The press was stifling and Memphis was well into the shot clock when they started their offense. You've got to give Memphis some credit for hitting some tough, tough shots as the shot clock wound down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Bad, another slow start in the 3rd Quarter. Don't understand why its happening so frequently this year. Maybe the starters want to play more minutes. ;)

Sometimes it seems to me that they get tangled up in all the options, weapons, they see. Too much thinking and not enough feeling.

Reaction Score
Not with the team. Cuomo said she was home to attend to a personal matter.

I have no inside knowledge on why she went home but AEH's grandmother has been very ill for a while, that's why she transferred back to her home high school last year

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nice post. A few comments on your comments:

Megan - Rusty from missing 2 games? Hardly! She did miss a simple bunny from a terrific pass from Coombs,

Yup, cost Coombs an assist, and Kyla cost Crystal a 3.

Collier - I think Geno was not happy with her today. While she had 14 points and 9 boards, Geno took her out twice - once in the 1st half in favor of Coombs, and in the 2nd half, she did not return after Walker replaced her - I think it was in the 3rd quarter. She only played 21 minutes. Great productivity, but the 21 minutes IMHO is indicative of Geno's general displeasure with her play.

I wondered about this in the game thread. I just re-watched the game. She went out at the 5-minute mark of the third and never got back in. I wondered if she was not feeling well. I didn't see her do anything wrong and she seemed fine in the first half. Of course, mine is not a trained eye.

Also when she goes for a block, she still jackhammers at the defender - a sure way to pick up foul calls.

This is a part of her game I would most like to see her improve. She needs to channel her inner Bill Russell. When she gets a block, she often just swats it away instead of keeping it in play. Hard not to, I know.

Irwin - The kid can play. Put her on the floor with most of the core 7 and she looks solid. She's a competent shooter, rebounder, and passer.

I'm a fan. I think she does well on offense. I'd really like to see her play with the first team to see how she does on defense. She seems to get a lot of fouls when she's in but maybe that's because of some shortcomings in team defense by the reserves.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Good: Lexi had a chance to get her nose into the fray in the lane today. She always impressed with that on her highlight films. Sure wish she could get more time.

Also good: I thought the color Chloe was sporting today was splendid.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This was Gabby's game, some wonderful takes to the hoop. I also thought Napheesa looked pretty darn good and was surprised that she only got 21 minutes.

Walker moves so easily and athletically out there, a real joy to watch.

Lou was fine but I think she plays better when she seeks her offense out more aggressively than she did today. Needs to take more than 7 shots.

Thought our defense was good throughout, Memphis had some good offensive players who made some tough shots in the first half. Held them to only 20 points in the second half.

What impressed me above all was the ease with which we were able to score and the number of legitimate offensive weapons that we have. Except for the sluggish start to the third quarter, it seemed as if we could score at will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And then there's Molly, who continues to look pretty tentative out there and still won't take the open shot. Really hoping to see some progress for Molly during conference play.

Track down a few Kelly Faris interviews when she talks about her thoughts on what being a good teammate meant. Turns out taking a shot was just about the last thing on every version of the list no matter what she was hearing from coaching since she was surrounded by good shooters. It wasn't until much later when UConn was struggling with injuries to starters that she changed her mind about her role with regard to shooting whenever open. I'd like to hear Molly's take on what being a good team player entails.

Reaction Score
Nice post. A few comments on your comments:

This is a part of her game I would most like to see her improve. She needs to channel her inner Bill Russell. When she gets a block, she often just swats it away instead of keeping it in play. Hard not to, I know.

I remember that was always a plus for Russ - he would block it and keep it in play, Wilt would swat into row 15. :D

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I remember that was always a plus for Russ - he would block it and keep it in play

Yup, nobody's ever done it better and I'm at a loss as to who was even close to being as good. Abdul-Jabbar maybe in his younger days.

The guy who played center for Chicago for Jordan's first three championships might have been good at it. Too long ago.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Speaking of Chloe, check out the look she gives Geno as he is walking off he floor. My guess is that in addition to all the winning, Geno must be a good man to work for.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Missing....................

UConn freshman Andra Espinoza-Hunter was not with the team, an absence that coincides with the end of her first academic semester. Auriemma said she went home to deal with some personal issues. ''Until she can handle those things, it's going to be hard for her to play,'' Auriemma said. ''We might have more of an update in a couple of days.''

[LINK]

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Re: Napheesa, she didn't have her usual energy today. In the post-game radio show, CD said the flu is going through the team. Maybe Napheesa is recovering from the flu?

CD also said Geno has bronchitis, not the flu and that he's basically Felix Unger with the nasal spray and medicine, complete with the honking.

Reaction Score
Good, bad, ugly means 2 out of 3 are negative. Sorry, not the game I saw. The 3 things I saw were: good, good, and good. There were some fabulous passing and overall they hustled hard and played an even game.

Basketball is a really tough game to play even when you're great. No NBA team has ever gone undefeated, and only 7 MCBB teams have (4 being UCLA and none since Indiana in 76). Sorry, remembering how tough it is to play well consistently (I didn't even play well inconsistently!), I just can't get into these kinds of diagnoses. Some played great much of the time, the rest played good enough. That's all you can ever ask of a team, and more than you can hope for most of the time.

Reaction Score
Missing.....

UConn freshman Andra Espinoza-Hunter was not with the team, an absence that coincides with the end of her first academic semester. Auriemma said she went home to deal with some personal issues. ''Until she can handle those things, it's going to be hard for her to play,'' Auriemma said. ''We might have more of an update in a couple of days.''
so sorry to hear about that. Hope she gets through it soon and can still get good things out of her freshman year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Speaking of Chloe, check out the look she gives Geno as he is walking off he floor. My guess is that in addition to all the winning, Geno must be a good man to work for.
Yeah, they kind of gave each other a fist bump on the arm or something.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Missing.....

OH NO!!

Where did you see this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom