UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man UConn was terrible today against a mediocre team. Of course, they were worse last year when they won 91-48. They were even worse the year before when Stewie and company won 86-46 and 83-40. All atrocities.
FWIW, CD was very happy with the team especially after a long layoff.
Me too.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
so sorry to hear about that. Hope she gets through it soon and can still get good things out of her freshman year.
I'm with you, of course. You could see her in that video of the half court practice. I guess we'll know more in a few days.

Reaction Score
Andra moved back to Ossining to be near her grandmother who, if I remember correctly, was not in the best of health. Hopefully her grandmother is okay.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Andra moved back to Ossining to be near her grandmother who, if I remember correctly, was not in the best of health. Hopefully her grandmother is okay.

Her grandmother has ALS, but I don't think Geno would've been cryptic with his response if the issue was with her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My only two bad's to take away from this game are the personal issues that AEH has to deal with, and the fact that Touley didn't get to play more minutes. She's a physical force in the paint on offense and defense and her progress would be such a plus for this team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FWIW, CD was very happy with the team especially after a long layoff.

What does she know?

When I read game and post-game threads I'm often reminded of one of my favorite phrases: "don't make perfection the enemy of the good."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good, bad, ugly means 2 out of 3 are negative. Sorry, not the game I saw. The 3 things I saw were: good, good, and good. There were some fabulous passing and overall they hustled hard and played an even game..
Doesn't mean that at all and not what I typed in... :)

Reaction Score
Saw the whole game and Gabby, Precious, and KLS were the all around stars. Megan played perfect, a solid game by Crystal and Kia (who had some hiccups). Z was Z.

But if Geno (or fans) took Precious out for a few defensive lapses then he must think she is capable of the second coming of DT (or Maya). Precious was our top player along with Gabby. She is phenomenal, an All American; but so is KLS and Gabby. I dont know how to categorize Z, but she's almost an All American too.

Wow.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Katie Lou had an all-around game. It's difficult to score a lot of points when you only take 7 shots. Nine rebounds, 3 assists and 0 turnovers. A solid performance.
UCONN scored over 90 points. KLS did not need to take more shots. She seemed to work on other parts of her game. As you pointed out, she did other things to help the team. Yes, her performance was solid.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
View attachment 27402
Good, bad, ugly means 2 out of 3 are negative. Sorry, not the game I saw. The 3 things I saw were: good, good, and good. There were some fabulous passing and overall they hustled hard and played an even game.

Doesn't mean that at all and not what I typed in... :)

Well in Eric's defense....Back in the day a western came out with Clint Eastwood that was a total flop.

greatgoodsoso.jpg

The producers quickly scrambled and re-titled the movie to be a little more of an attention grabber and the rest is history as they say. ;)

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In Eric's defense, the setup is a well-worn classic, and shouldn't imply 2 out of 3 are negative. Do a word count - lot's of positives.

For me, I am ecstatic seeing Gabby return to form.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did you know:

"The win was UConn’s 71st straight AAC regular season victory, the third longest conference winning streak in NCAA Division I women’s basketball history breaking the tie with Stanford. There’s some work to do to move up as Old Dominion on 96 straight Colonial Athletic Association games from 1995-2001 and Texas won 124 in a row in the Southwest Conference from 1981-1990. Counting postseason games, UConn is 83-0 in AAC games."

UConn women roll past Memphis to cap off 2017

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Missing.....

UConn freshman Andra Espinoza-Hunter was not with the team, an absence that coincides with the end of her first academic semester. Auriemma said she went home to deal with some personal issues. ''Until she can handle those things, it's going to be hard for her to play,'' Auriemma said. ''We might have more of an update in a couple of days.''

[LINK]
:(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speaking of Chloe, check out the look she gives Geno as he is walking off he floor. My guess is that in addition to all the winning, Geno must be a good man to work for.
I think they tapped each other on the arm too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought there was lots of good and not much bad. The starters all looked good to me. The defensive pressure led to about 10 near-steals that were not actualized. As a result, Memphis got some open shots and made them. I thought that Memphis shot and held on to the ball better than I expected. I also thought they competed well. Most of our missed 3-pointers were dead on line and missed by just a little. That's true of at least 2 by Lou, 3-4 by Kia, and 2 by Crystal. It's a game of inches. I liked Gabby's and Megan's willingness to shoot. Considering that the team may have been rusty and is not in class, they played pretty well. Some teams today were way off their games. We were not among them.

Reaction Score
AEH missing at the first game of the second semester and Geno ascribing a disenguous reason to her not being present is an unhappy sign that we have seen before. This is not good news.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first quarter. We had 7 tips--6 in the first 3 minutes--that did not turn into steals. Close, but not quite.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first quarter. We had 7 tips--6 in the first 3 minutes--that did not turn into steals. Close, but not quite.
And at least 3 more tips in the 2nd quarter.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Was able to see the game only on replay, and then chef for our huge New Year's dinner so late to the party.

I thought the team looked great; people bellyaching? About what?
Great D led by Gabby, mucho beautiful offensive BB
Walker breaks out, no one hurt...team cohesion excellent

And credit CD who ran the lion's share of practices.
See, Geno, it's ok to take a personal day; now and then.

Happy new Year all.

Reaction Score
After watching the segment with Geno recruiting Gabby, I realized that the black bandages on her shoulder are not there for any medical reason but to cover a tattoo. I guess CD is obsessive about no visible tattoos.

Maybe other people knew this all along but I didn't.

Reaction Score
AEH missing at the first game of the second semester and Geno ascribing a disenguous reason to her not being present is an unhappy sign that we have seen before. This is not good news.
Your speculation? I don't think Geno will say this.

Reaction Score
Let us not let Lou's 9 rebounds go unnoticed

Didn't go unnoticed by me. The team's rebounding yesterday, especially on offense, was excellent. So glad the coaching staff is making this a point of focus. It's the kind of thing that can be a difference maker in a tough game come tournament time, when up against a Wilson or a McCowan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom