UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Memphis - The good, bad and ugly

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After watching the segment with Geno recruiting Gabby, I realized that the black bandages on her shoulder are not there for any medical reason but to cover a tattoo. I guess CD is obsessive about no visible tattoos.

Maybe other people knew this all along but I didn't.
Many of us knew it. Saniya has a tat on her arm in memory of her brother that she always covered. I noticed that some of Gabby’s tat was showing yesterday. It’s the first time I recall that any of it showed.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
After watching the segment with Geno recruiting Gabby, I realized that the black bandages on her shoulder are not there for any medical reason but to cover a tattoo. I guess CD is obsessive about no visible tattoos.

Maybe other people knew this all along but I didn't.
To which segment are you referring?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I remember that was always a plus for Russ - he would block it and keep it in play

Yup, nobody's ever done it better and I'm at a loss as to who was even close to being as good. Abdul-Jabbar maybe in his younger days.

The guy who played center for Chicago for Jordan's first three championships might have been good at it. Too long ago.

That was Bill Cartwright, who was traded to the Bulls from the Knicks. The Knicks got Charles Oakley from the Bulls. The Chicago PA announcer used to introduce him in the starting lineup as "The man in the middle".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That was Bill Cartwright, who was traded to the Bulls from the Knicks. The Knicks got Charles Oakley from the Bulls. The Chicago PA announcer used to introduce him in the starting lineup as "The man in the middle".
Ah, thanks. I kept coming up with "Wainwright" but knew that was not wright.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Many of us knew it. Saniya has a tat on her arm in memory of her brother that she always covered. I noticed that some of Gabby’s tat was showing yesterday. It’s the first time I recall that any of it showed.

Gabby got it at age 15, getting permission from her dad when he was drugged up for eye surgery! " The tattoo has special meaning for Williams as it says "nothing will break our bond in French, my mom is French, and the rose, she has roses tattooed on her body." The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: No hiding UConn's Williams passion

Reaction Score
Start with the ugly. The only thing I can REALLY pick on after the lengthy holiday rest time is that they came out VERY lethargic to start the game and to start the 2nd half. Both times, Memphis was close to even with UCONN (UCONN up only 12-9 at the 4:45 mark in the 1st half and tied 7-7 at the 4:30 mark in the 2nd half). Other than that, and it's really a nit-picky thing, UCONN dominated in almost every way.

Next - on to the bad - Memphis' Elmore went off for 20 points. While I think the UCONN defense was for the most part, good, Elmore, averaging 13+ PPG this season went off for 20. As far as "bad" goes, it's pretty mild, but UCONN generally does a better job of shutting down the opposing teams' best scoring option(s). In this case they did a better job against leading scorer Creighton who averages 15.5 PPG and was held to 8.

Now for the good - pretty much everything else. Sure there were moments (not counting the start of each half) where UCONN made a few boneheaded plays (forcing passes, dribbling too much or dribbling into traffic), but overall, after the holiday layoff, it was a solid performance. Memphis is really not a good team - they are 5-9 now - so let's not pretend this was anything close to a tough game.

Gabby - she's my POG. She DID pick up 3 fouls in about 3 minutes in the 2nd half, but other than that, played the type of game we've come to expect - almost everywhere on defense, scored in a variety of ways (loved seeing her nail the mid range jumpers), and while she only had 3 boards, she dished out 7 assists and had 4 steals.

Megan - Rusty from missing 2 games? Hardly! She did miss a simple bunny from a terrific pass from Coombs, but other than that, was 5-6 from the floor scoring 12 points and grabbing 4 rebounds.

Kia - Her 3 point shot was off (2-7) and many of the shots she took seemed just a tad rushed - she'd get the pass not in her sweet spot, and need to adjust/shuffle her feet to get the 3 point shot off quickly. Not sure if that affected her accuracy, but it was noticeable. Other than that, played some really solid defense and had 16 points and 4 boards.

Lou - not her best scoring game, but I really thought she stood out especially on defense. Whereas her defense used to be a liability (had a really tough time keeping opponents in front of her when defending them), she seems MUCH better at that and to me it was noticeable in this game. Only 12 points but had 9 boards.

Collier - I think Geno was not happy with her today. While she had 14 points and 9 boards, Geno took her out twice - once in the 1st half in favor of Coombs, and in the 2nd half, she did not return after Walker replaced her - I think it was in the 3rd quarter. She only played 21 minutes. Great productivity, but the 21 minutes IMHO is indicative of Geno's general displeasure with her play.

Dangerfield - she was also benched a time or 2 in the game for some not so great play. Dribbling too much, dribbling into traffic with no back up plan, and some poor passes. Ended up playing 33 minutes with 11 points, but had only 3 assists to 3 turnovers. Love her with the ball, but today she was a tad off.

Stevens - a solid game from her, but not outstanding numbers. I noticed several times in the 2nd half she was roaming around the perimeter, and I still think Geno would rather she not do that. And she may well make 3's in practice, but she's shooting a dreadful 18% (4-22). Also when she goes for a block, she still jackhammers at the defender - a sure way to pick up foul calls.

Coombs - for the first time this season she gets her own mention. 11 minutes, made a bunch of mistakes in the first half, but Geno let her play thru them. Noticeable improvement on defense, and looks more comfortable on the floor.

Irwin - The kid can play. Put her on the floor with most of the core 7 and she looks solid. She's a competent shooter, rebounder, and passer.

Hard to tell much from the rest of the bench BUT... UCONN outscored Memphis 21-7 in Q4. Q4 was the only quarter where UCONN held Memphis to single digits in scoring and much of that time was with the bench players on the floor. For as much as we have criticized them for getting demolished by other teams, they certainly held their own and then some, and that deserves acknowledgement.

I'm not sure how much useful info can be extracted from games like the Memphis contest. But there were two observations of yours that seem particularly relevant: Meg Walker is going to be a major contributor to the team (especially when she starts next year alongside Crystal, Lou, 'Pheesa, and Z). We've seen her skill demonstrated as a ferocious rebounder and an instant scorer. She seems to understand and subscribe to Geno's edict about playing w/in a team system. She looks totally comfortable on the floor with the starters and is clearly a superior athlete and teammate.

But the real news is the development of Kayla Irwin. Last year before the season started, I had high hopes that this solid 6'2” forward would become a stalwart in the mold of Morgan Tuck, a tough inside player who could rebound and score. Alas, she looked slow, w/out quicks and w/out hops. Opponents ran around her and shot over her. Her destiny seemed to be a seldom-used bench player.

Not anymore. She got herself in terrific shape this season, figured out the UConn system, and positioned herself to become what I hoped she would when the arrived. Look for her to be a big-time contributor, relegated to being a sub but becoming a SUPER sub. Geno trusts her now to provide minutes along with rebounds, points, a rugged body under the basket, and a foul-eater. Kayla has proven that some physical shortcomings can be overcome by being just plain smart.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While we are talking Gabby ... the Gabby Geno would have seen on the recruiting trail. What, you have something better to do?

THE DRAGON ... who knew!

Reaction Score
Your speculation? I don't think Geno will say this.
I use the word “disengenuous” because this is the same generic language that Geno used in the Semarie Walker and Sadie Edwards situations. My point is not to criticize Geno’s use of the generic. Rather, it is simply an acknowledgement that Geno’s use of this phrase portends “trouble in River city.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom