UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Tournament matchup I've been waiting 24 years to see again. Just wish it was a round or two later in the tournament. Lot more meaningful than the 3rd place Atlantis game in 2015 lol.

Seen both of these teams in person a combined 10 times this season. Timme vs Sanogo should be fireworks if the refs don't hit either with some weak early fouls. UConn efficiency on the perimeter very well could be the difference along with depth. Hurley definitely needs to hit Gonzaga with the full court press as the Zags have struggled with that all season as shown tonight.

Now to decide if I can swing a late notice flight to LV to see this in person..

Reaction Score
How is Timme going to guard Sanogo? It will be interesting to see how they try and guard us
He will definitely have his trouble defending against Sanogo, no two ways about it.

Reaction Score
The UCLA crowd was very lively, during the second game it was 70/30 UCLA fans.
wow interesting. I always thought Gonzaga fans showed up well at Las Vegas.

Unlike in 1999, Gonzaga is a household name elite program and no longer that loveable Cindarella that the entire country and the stadium was pulling for.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Timme is this generations Christian Laettner…..except he hasn’t won anything. We will manhandle him and then it will be time for him to move onto his professional career in Greece.
He has another year of eligibility if he wants to stay and develop an outside shot.

Reaction Score
yeah that is what I am worried about. That is why I wanted UCLA. I think UConn matches up better against them.

Timme is going to be real problem, like you said.
I kind of think we put Timme in a body bag. It's the same thing we talked about against St. Mary's, they haven't seen this. Timme is obviously great and an all-time college player but he just hasn't seen Sanogo and Clingan. I love this matchup.

Reaction Score
Tournament matchup I've been waiting 24 years to see again. Just wish it was a round or two later in the tournament. Lot more meaningful than the 3rd place Atlantis game in 2015 lol.

Seen both of these teams in person a combined 10 times this season. Timme vs Sanogo should be fireworks if the refs don't hit either with some weak early fouls. UConn efficiency on the perimeter very well could be the difference along with depth. Hurley definitely needs to hit Gonzaga with the full court press as the Zags have struggled with that all season as shown tonight.

Now to decide if I can swing a late notice flight to LV to see this in person..
The problem for Timme is it's him against Sanogo, then it's him against Clingan.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to two things.
1. Fouls. If Sanogo picks up two quick fouls and DC simply is too green to deal with Timme its going to be a problem. If its Timme who picks up a couple early ones and his supporting cast plays like they did against UCLA we could be looking at a replay of the Arkansas beat down.
2. As mentioned Timme cant do it all by himself. If the supporting cast for the Zags are not hitting shots its a blowout. If you cannot hit 3s against this team you are in trouble.

Should be a great game.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga just barely beat a UCLA team missing a stud in Jaylen Clark and their center Bona. It’s not a surprise that Timme went off for 35 against UCLA’s backup center who is just downright atrocious and averages 1 point per game.

They aren’t going to outrebound us by 20. They probably aren’t going to outrebound us at all. Gonzaga plays a 7 man rotation. Their center depth is non-existent. Their guards aren’t even close to Suggs level Gonzaga teams. They also don’t play any defense.

caw

Reaction Score
They are the best offensive team (Orating)in the country for a reason. They are superb on that end and play at a pretty high pace.

Of course UConn happens to be #3 in Orating (fun fact #4 is FAU, Kst is at 49).

Gonazaga’s defense on the other hand is between Nova and DePaul.

Only three teams both teams played in Bama, X and SMC.

It’s going to be a high scoring affair I think.

Reaction Score
How is Timme going to guard Sanogo? It will be interesting to see how they try and guard us

How is Sanogo going to guard Timme? He hasn’t been as good on D as he has on O. Both he and Clingan will need to stay on their feet and move them as well, guy has tremendous footwork.

I don’t like Timme at all but this is a test. He also gets away with murder a refs favorite.

I like ours!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They are the best offensive team (Orating)in the country for a reason. They are superb on that end and play at a pretty high pace.

Of course UConn happens to be #3 in Orating (fun fact #4 is FAU, Kst is at 49).

Gonazaga’s defense on the other hand is between Nova and DePaul.
Through the three tourney games so far, both UConn and Zags have scored 245 pts, an average of 81.67/game.

However, Zags have given up an average of 75.67 ppg vs UConn's 61.

Advantage UConn defense.

caw

Reaction Score
How is Sanogo going to guard Timme? He hasn’t been as good on D as he has on O. Both he and Clingan will need to stay on their feet and move them as well, guy has tremendous footwork.

I don’t like Timme at all but this is a test. He also gets away with murder a refs favorite.

I like ours!

Sanogo will have to hedge less, I am not kidding. The plus side is Timme initiates a lot of their offense. Sanogo will have to make Timme get touches further from the rim and move his feet if Timme faces him up. Make Timme work on the defensive side also. Timme is probably worse of a defender than Sanogo is.

Honestly, Gonzaga is a very good offensive team, UConn needs to control the boards like they have the past three games because Gonzaga has been hitting the boards hard recently. Both teams are fantastic offensive teams, but UConn as a whole is a better defensive team and should be able to limit Gonzaga a bit better than Gonzaga can limit UConn.

Reaction Score
Sanogo will have to hedge less, I am not kidding. The plus side is Timme initiates a lot of their offense. Sanogo will have to make Timme get touches further from the rim and move his feet if Timme faces him up. Make Timme work on the defensive side also. Timme is probably worse of a defender than Sanogo is.

Honestly, Gonzaga is a very good offensive team, UConn needs to control the boards like they have the past three games because Gonzaga has been hitting the boards hard recently. Both teams are fantastic offensive teams, but UConn as a whole is a better defensive team and should be able to limit Gonzaga a bit better than Gonzaga can limit UConn.

Sanogo has done a super job on body up players but less with guys who can create like Timme. Agree hedge less and move his feet like never before but will he. Timme leads the Zags in assists so we also need to stay away from the double team, AS needs to win this battle on both ends continue his dominance.

Reaction Score

Now to decide if I can swing a late notice flight to LV to see this in
I hope they let Adama/Timme play down low and the refs don’t get in the way with cheap fouls.

Clingan will need to stay disciplined.
Don’t worry. I’m wearing my lucky UConn socks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member