UConn vs. Buffalo Bulls (Saturday 9/28/24 @ Noon @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Buffalo Bulls (Saturday 9/28/24 @ Noon @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting thing I was reading about Buffalo/NIU game. Had no idea how badly they got outgained, and still somehow managed to win

Despite being outgained in offensive yards by a margin of 359 to 184 yards, the Buffalo Bulls (3-1, 1-0 MAC) were able to outlast the 23rd-ranked Northern Illinois Huskies (2-1, 0-1 MAC), 23-20, in overtime.

Reaction Score
Buffalo Scouting Report

(Win) Lafayette 30-13
(Loss) @ #9 Missouri 38-0
(Win) Massachusett 34-3
(Win) @ #23 N Illinois 23-20

RATINGS:
TeamMasseySagarinESPN
UConn10710583
Buffalo95124104
NIU9499108
FAU11212282

TEAM RANKS:
StatUConnBuffaloNIUFAU
Total Offense5812667114
Rushing Offense151024469
Passing Offense10812587117
Total Defense9855889
Rushing Defense978124131
Passing Defense84511113

Team Notes:
  • I wouldn't read too much into the team rankings this early into the season. We're only at week 4. So anomalous games can skew the rankings heavily. Like our run heavy game against FAU.
  • Even though Buffalo is getting a lot of buzz for knocking off #23 @NIU, NIU is not a statistically top 25 team.
  • They have a new Head Coach, Pete Lembo. Previous stops at South Carolina, Memphis, Rice, Maryland as assistant coaches. Some experience as head coach Elon, Ball State, and Lehigh.
Offensive Notes:
  • Run heavy team. Two back feature, #5 AL-JAY HENDERSON (3.5 YPC) and #4 JACQEZ BARKSDALE (4.5 YPC).
  • QB is #7 C.J. OGBONNA. Senior, transfer from FCS Southeast Missouri State. He has not been good for the Bulls. Highest QBR was 29.7 against UMass. 53% completion rate. 4 TDs to 1 INT.
  • Best receiver is probably RS SO #0 VICTOR SNOW. 13 REC, 179 total yards. Fast, shifty skill player. Longest reception was 46 yards, a key TD in double coverage to tie the game late against NIU. Lines up all over the place, including the backfield. If he is in the backfield, look for screen or outside runs.
  • Oline does not grade well. Their best linesmen is probably SR Right Guard TYLER DOTY. Lots of run plays to the right with having more seniors on that side of the ball. They have a FR LT HENRY TABANSI who could be a target of the defense. This line has already given up 8 sacks in four games.
Defensive Notes:
  • By far, the best player on defense is RS SR #52 SHAUN DOLAK. Plays MLB. He is their Jackson Mitchell. Avgs 15.5 tackles a game. Already has 2 INTs, including a key one against NIU to go with 2 sacks. He's your typical, gym-rat, sneaky athletic, eats film type of linebacker that we could all use.
  • Second best player might be OLB RS SO #2 RED MURDOCK. 10.2 tackles a game.
  • 4/3 base defense. Secondary plays off the line a lot. Lots of room for slant passes.
My takes:
  • I think we have a real advantage on the lines. Both offensive and defensive. We just need to play to our strengths. Everyone and their mothers know that we will do outside zone runs or wide leverage runs. We do that extremely well. Buffalo's defensive strength is their LB corps. Outside runs neutralizes that to a great degree. Also, run away from Dolak and Murdock. Force the other players to beat you. Remember last year when Mitchell was the only good LB we had? Teams just ran away from him.
  • Mix in more RPOs, keep them off balance by constantly forcing them to guess run or pass.
  • Looking for big games from our slot guys Sheffield and Buckman (not really sure who plays slot because we don't throw much to them). We don't do this much (and there might be reasons for this which I'm not privy to), but crossing routes and quick outs are ideal against LB-heavy defenses. The goal is to tire them out so they have nothing for the second half.
  • Overload the left side on defense. If Snow is lined up on the right, send a corner blitz on the left.
  • Ogbonna dances a lot in the pocket, he is not a very accurate passer. But he is also not much of a run threat even though he is a dual-threat QB. Our 3-3-5 is a very confusing defense when played to a high level. A good mix of blitzes from different positions will make their QB see ghosts.
  • Ogbonna has 4 fumbles on the year, two in the last game. DEs need to come in with strip sacks. Perfect game for Pryce Yates to come back??
  • I think our corners are good enough against their WRs 1v1. Should free up the front seven to be more aggressive.
Prediction:
  • I don't think this game will be close. We are the better team on paper. UConn should win by two touchdowns if they play the same way against FAU. 30-16, good guys.
  • Big return game for Yates
  • 3+ sacks
  • 2+ receiving touchdown
  • 1 TE TD

Reaction Score
Buffalo Scouting Report

(Win) Lafayette 30-13
(Loss) @ #9 Missouri 38-0
(Win) Massachusett 34-3
(Win) @ #23 N Illinois 23-20

RATINGS:
TeamMasseySagarinESPN
UConn10710583
Buffalo95124104
NIU9499108
FAU11212282

TEAM RANKS:
StatUConnBuffaloNIUFAU
Total Offense5812667114
Rushing Offense151024469
Passing Offense10812587117
Total Defense9855889
Rushing Defense978124131
Passing Defense84511113

Team Notes:
  • I wouldn't read too much into the team rankings this early into the season. We're only at week 4. So anomalous games can skew the rankings heavily. Like our run heavy game against FAU.
  • Even though Buffalo is getting a lot of buzz for knocking off #23 @NIU, NIU is not a statistically top 25 team.
  • They have a new Head Coach, Pete Lembo. Previous stops at South Carolina, Memphis, Rice, Maryland as assistant coaches. Some experience as head coach Elon, Ball State, and Lehigh.
Offensive Notes:
  • Run heavy team. Two back feature, #5 AL-JAY HENDERSON (3.5 YPC) and #4 JACQEZ BARKSDALE (4.5 YPC).
  • QB is #7 C.J. OGBONNA. Senior, transfer from FCS Southeast Missouri State. He has not been good for the Bulls. Highest QBR was 29.7 against UMass. 53% completion rate. 4 TDs to 1 INT.
  • Best receiver is probably RS SO #0 VICTOR SNOW. 13 REC, 179 total yards. Fast, shifty skill player. Longest reception was 46 yards, a key TD in double coverage to tie the game late against NIU. Lines up all over the place, including the backfield. If he is in the backfield, look for screen or outside runs.
  • Oline does not grade well. Their best linesmen is probably SR Right Guard TYLER DOTY. Lots of run plays to the right with having more seniors on that side of the ball. They have a FR LT HENRY TABANSI who could be a target of the defense. This line has already given up 8 sacks in four games.
Defensive Notes:
  • By far, the best player on defense is RS SR #52 SHAUN DOLAK. Plays MLB. He is their Jackson Mitchell. Avgs 15.5 tackles a game. Already has 2 INTs, including a key one against NIU to go with 2 sacks. He's your typical, gym-rat, sneaky athletic, eats film type of linebacker that we could all use.
  • Second best player might be OLB RS SO #2 RED MURDOCK. 10.2 tackles a game.
  • 4/3 base defense. Secondary plays off the line a lot. Lots of room for slant passes.
My takes:
  • I think we have a real advantage on the lines. Both offensive and defensive. We just need to play to our strengths. Everyone and their mothers know that we will do outside zone runs or wide leverage runs. We do that extremely well. Buffalo's defensive strength is their LB corps. Outside runs neutralizes that to a great degree. Also, run away from Dolak and Murdock. Force the other players to beat you. Remember last year when Mitchell was the only good LB we had? Teams just ran away from him.
  • Mix in more RPOs, keep them off balance by constantly forcing them to guess run or pass.
  • Looking for big games from our slot guys Sheffield and Buckman (not really sure who plays slot because we don't throw much to them). We don't do this much (and there might be reasons for this which I'm not privy to), but crossing routes and quick outs are ideal against LB-heavy defenses. The goal is to tire them out so they have nothing for the second half.
  • Overload the left side on defense. If Snow is lined up on the right, send a corner blitz on the left.
  • Ogbonna dances a lot in the pocket, he is not a very accurate passer. But he is also not much of a run threat even though he is a dual-threat QB. Our 3-3-5 is a very confusing defense when played to a high level. A good mix of blitzes from different positions will make their QB see ghosts.
  • Ogbonna has 4 fumbles on the year, two in the last game. DEs need to come in with strip sacks. Perfect game for Pryce Yates to come back??
  • I think our corners are good enough against their WRs 1v1. Should free up the front seven to be more aggressive.
Prediction:
  • I don't think this game will be close. We are the better team on paper. UConn should win by two touchdowns if they play the same way against FAU. 30-16, good guys.
  • Big return game for Yates
  • 3+ sacks
  • 2+ receiving touchdown
  • 1 TE TD
Great Job!!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interesting thing I was reading about Buffalo/NIU game. Had no idea how badly they got outgained, and still somehow managed to win

Despite being outgained in offensive yards by a margin of 359 to 184 yards, the Buffalo Bulls (3-1, 1-0 MAC) were able to outlast the 23rd-ranked Northern Illinois Huskies (2-1, 0-1 MAC), 23-20, in overtime.
I noticed that also. Bizarre box score. Seems like Buffalo had a lot of luck to win that game.

Reaction Score
Hate calling games must win but this one.. Win it and we have real some momentum and show a bit of G5 separation. Lose it and we slip back into the pit of despair. We have some real talent on the field and I think if we maintain the intensity, we will be in good shape..

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Hate calling games must win but this one.. Win it and we have real some momentum and show a bit of G5 separation. Lose it and we slip back into the pit of despair. We have some real talent on the field and I think if we maintain the intensity, we will be in good shape..
When climbing a ladder, every rung matters. Maybe a little more so as you get up off the ground.

Reaction Score
When climbing a ladder, every rung matters. Maybe a little more so as you get up off the ground.
We’ve spent 13 years with a ridiculously low ceiling, and it has cost us dearly in terms of being left behind the schools who we want to be our peers. If you have a chance to break through the ceiling, you can’t let it go because you don’t know in this world where bigger schools can buy our high performing players when it will come again.

The next two weeks are simply must win games, so we are set up to get a win against a P-4 school when Wake comes to town.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IMG_20240924_064952.jpg

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The next two weeks are simply must win games, so we are set up to get a win against a P-4 school when Wake comes to town.
I don't know if these games set us up to win vs. Wake but they'll make a big difference in how we can leverage that win... We don't need a one-off wtf win in another bad season; we need a win that is (and looks like) a reflection of serious progress. Maryland notwithstanding (what an unfortunate bit of scheduling), this team looks a lot better to me. The eyes are happy. Time to get some results to match.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We’ve spent 13 years with a ridiculously low ceiling, and it has cost us dearly in terms of being left behind the schools who we want to be our peers. If you have a chance to break through the ceiling, you can’t let it go because you don’t know in this world where bigger schools can buy our high performing players when it will come again.

Perfectly written. The next three are must win games. No time for quibbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom