UConn vs. #1/#9 Michigan @ Mets' Tradition Field in Port St Lucie Florida (Friday 2/21 @ 2p, Saturday 2/22 @ 2p & Sunday 2/23@ 11a) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. #1/#9 Michigan @ Mets' Tradition Field in Port St Lucie Florida (Friday 2/21 @ 2p, Saturday 2/22 @ 2p & Sunday 2/23@ 11a)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's the #1 team in the country. Obviously thrilled with the win but if you think that's some scalding hot take you clearly have not been to other message boards.

I was, and will be, careful to not insult you, but I do not back down at all on mocking your original post.

#1 team? Based on what? One weekend into a season? MIchigan had a great post-season run, all credit to them, but their computer rankings last year weren't in a different stratosphere than ours for the full season. And, even if they were, you didn't just give up on the game, which was obviously premature but would have been understandable -- you said we were OUTMATCHED. After one bad inning AGAINST A TEAM WE HAD BEAT UP ON FIVE DAYS EARLIER.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I hope both you and the team have a good day today. But OUTMATCHED does need to be the rallying cry this year.

Reaction Score
IIRC he was a ridiculous pitcher in the LLWS some odd years ago

If the pitching is this good right now, imagine what it will look like next year with so many key parts returning + Casparius + a tremendous recruiting class on the docks.

1. Managed on national television by Fairfield's own Chris Daley, as nice a man as you would ever want to meet.

2. I hope you know more about next year than I do. As I understand it Haus is a senior and all three weekend starters, Wurster, Wang and Casparius are draft-eligible at the end of the season. If you or anyone else knows what people's intent are to come back next year I'd love to hear it, but I don't know how we're supposed to be sure about next year's pitching depth at this time.

Reaction Score
It's the #1 team in the country. Obviously thrilled with the win but if you think that's some scalding hot take you clearly have not been to other message boards.

I was, and will be, careful to not insult you, but I do not back down at all on mocking your original post.

#1 team? Based on what? One weekend into a season? MIchigan had a great post-season run, all credit to them, but their computer rankings last year weren't in a different stratosphere than ours for the full season. And, even if they were, you didn't just give up on the game, which was obviously premature but would have been understandable -- you said we were OUTMATCHED. After one bad inning AGAINST A TEAM WE HAD BEAT UP ON FIVE DAYS EARLIER.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I hope both you and the team have a good day today. But OUTMATCHED does need to be the rallying cry this year.

Baseball America had Michigan as No. 1 in their poll. D1Baseball.com had Michigan as No. 9. There are many other baseball polls, not sure where they all had Michigan. But as I've said before, the college baseball polls can be all over the map. Teams highly rated in one poll can barely register in another.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I know Baseball America had them as #1. My point is that anyone ranking a BASEBALL team at any level after four games is just talk -- not something that opponents need to be afraid of.,

Reaction Score
1. Managed on national television by Fairfield's own Chris Daley, as nice a man as you would ever want to meet.

2. I hope you know more about next year than I do. As I understand it Haus is a senior and all three weekend starters, Wurster, Wang and Casparius are draft-eligible at the end of the season. If you or anyone else knows what people's intent are to come back next year I'd love to hear it, but I don't know how we're supposed to be sure about next year's pitching depth at this time.

UConn has 11 pitchers who are draft eligible. That would include Haus and Polonia, both seniors. Others are Casparius, Stock, Simeone, Dunlop, Krauth, Wurster, Willis, Wang, and Mayock. I doubt all will be drafted, but still, it looks like this freshman class plus Will Lucas will provide a nice base to work off of for next season. Plus, there are a number of nice looking recruits for next season, but you never know how they are going to pan out until they actually get to Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be clear, I know Baseball America had them as #1. My point is that anyone ranking a BASEBALL team at any level after four games is just talk -- not something that opponents need to be afraid of.,

I agree with that. I'm just saying that Baseball America having them as number one is just the opinion of one publication out of many that put out polls. And like I said, these polls are often wildly divergent.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I wonder when we will see Crawford pitch?

Reaction Score
I was wondering what the Michigan team wears on their belt buckles. Here is an explanation and link.

They actually aren't buckles…they're play cards. According to Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press, the coaches signal numbers with their hands to indicate plays, which the players translate with their belts. The cards are similar to those football quarterbacks wear on their wristbands

Reaction Score
I wonder when we will see Crawford pitch?
Personally, I hope we don't see him pitch until tourney time. He sure looks like a ball player. I observed that Michigan looks big but the Huskies have some size as well in their position players with Reggie, Chris Winkle, Maycock, Kyler and Petersen.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Unless Wang has a breakout year, he will probably not be drafted given his lack of experience. Casparius and Willis won't be either - MLB teams are going to want to see how they do in a full year of starting before picking him. Wurster will almost certainly be drafted, and based on how he has pitched in his collegiate career I don't see any way he comes back. We will see on Dunlop, Krauth, and Simeone. Love all these kids to death and all of them have the talent, but I expect several of them to be back next year to serve as the staff's foundation. Not a sure thing, though.

The incoming recruiting class is loaded on pitching. Ziegler is arguably the best pitching prospect in Canada, Siravo throws 93 and is even more highly rated than Crawford was (meaning MLB draft is a concern), and we have other guys that ranked in the top 500 / 1000 as well. Between them, Lucas, Crawford, and the transfers, I am confident in the young core of next year's bunch with how well MacDonald develops pitching.

Again though, admittedly nothing is a sure thing...not with all the variables in play.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Personally, I hope we don't see him pitch until tourney time. He sure looks like a ball player. I observed that Michigan looks big but the Huskies have some size as well in their position players with Reggie, Chris Winkle, Maycock, Kyler and Petersen.

He pitched a bunch in the fall so his time is probably coming soon. I could see him potentially starting weekdays once we reach that part of the schedule.

Reaction Score
Pitching Crawford midweek makes sense to keep him sharp so that he could be relied upon post season.

Reaction Score

>> UConn Turns Mets Complex Into Fedko Park - After wrapping up opening weekend with a 7-1 win over Michigan in Arizona, Connecticut took down the ninth-ranked Wolverines again on the side of the country Friday, winning 8-7 in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Michigan actually led 5-0 after one inning and 6-2 after two innings, but the Huskies tied it up with four runs in the sixth, keyed by Christian Fedko’s two-run double. After Michigan regained the lead in the bottom of the frame, UConn battled back again, tying it in the eighth on Kyler Fedko’s RBI double, then winning in the ninth on Christian Fedko’s RBI single. All told, the Fedko brothers combined for six hits and five RBIs, while six UConn pitchers combined to limit Michigan to four hits.<<

Reaction Score
Unless Wang has a breakout year, he will probably not be drafted given his lack of experience. Casparius and Willis won't be either - MLB teams are going to want to see how they do in a full year of starting before picking him. Wurster will almost certainly be drafted, and based on how he has pitched in his collegiate career I don't see any way he comes back. We will see on Dunlop, Krauth, and Simeone. Love all these kids to death and all of them have the talent, but I expect several of them to be back next year to serve as the staff's foundation. Not a sure thing, though.

The incoming recruiting class is loaded on pitching. Ziegler is arguably the best pitching prospect in Canada, Siravo throws 93 and is even more highly rated than Crawford was (meaning MLB draft is a concern), and we have other guys that ranked in the top 500 / 1000 as well. Between them, Lucas, Crawford, and the transfers, I am confident in the young core of next year's bunch with how well MacDonald develops pitching.

Again though, admittedly nothing is a sure thing...not with all the variables in play.

Chris Jones was saying during the last game that pro scouts were looking at Casparius. We will see what happens.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
On a plane all day and land to this and icebus! Where shall I fly today??

Reaction Score
Wow when was the last time Wink didn’t start? I believe he started every game last year.

Reaction Score
Listening to game at Gampel, Chris Jones says Winkel is out sick.

Reaction Score
Surprising that a guy who has been called out by coach in a couple interviews as not being college baseball ready defensively in OF is playing in left field today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom