UConn vs. #1/#9 Michigan @ Mets' Tradition Field in Port St Lucie Florida (Friday 2/21 @ 2p, Saturday 2/22 @ 2p & Sunday 2/23@ 11a) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. #1/#9 Michigan @ Mets' Tradition Field in Port St Lucie Florida (Friday 2/21 @ 2p, Saturday 2/22 @ 2p & Sunday 2/23@ 11a)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As expected, Wurster is in to pitch the 9th, top of the order to bat for Michigan.

Reaction Score
What a bleepin’ win! I was swamped at work and couldn’t get an ear on the game until the top of the 9th, but what a final inning it was!

I didn't get out of work until 3:45. I was depending on my wife's emails to keep me updated until then, except for being able to listen to most of the 1st inning while on my break. By the way, my wife is an absolute baseball nut, so I'm sure she enjoyed it to a certain degree.

Reaction Score
Indeed, at worst Uconn will have a 2-2 record against Michigan when all is said and done.

This. If we can't take the series, we did ourselves no real harm the opening two weekends. But the opportunity is there to win a game from the current #1, and taking the opportunity will go a long way when the Committee sits down at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Great job by Jonesy today!!! And...thank you Mr. Fedko for pitching in to FaceTime from behind home plate for CJ. Appreciate the effort they went through to get the audio for this game. They even had Michigan fans listening in because they had no feed. Awesome job!!!

Reaction Score
This was a great win. I was very impressed with Lucas as well as the other pitchers. He shut down the Wolverines except for that solo HR. And good work by team to chip away at the lead. I was there and the weather was windy and a bit cold for the native Floridians. Should be better weather the next two days.

Reaction Score
Love how they have repurposed will lucas. Struggled mightily last year in field and at plate. McDonald obviously worked with him and has given two really solid performances out of the pen. depth On this staff so far has been nicest and biggest surprise

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Man, I hate the Boneyard sometimes. It's asinine enough to give up on a baseball game after 1 inning, but to declare "we're outmatched" playing one baseball game on one day against a team we rolled over five days ago is beyond my comprehension.

It's the #1 team in the country. Obviously thrilled with the win but if you think that's some scalding hot take you clearly have not been to other message boards.

Reaction Score
Love how they have repurposed will lucas. Struggled mightily last year in field and at plate. McDonald obviously worked with him and has given two really solid performances out of the pen. depth On this staff so far has been nicest and biggest surprise

I'm sure part of the switch to the mound for Will Lucas is due to UConn having plenty of infielders on the roster this season, with a couple more coming in next season. Lucas coming into last season was billed as a two way player, although he never pitched in a game last season. I do recall an interview or two with the coaching staff last season that said they were going to have Lucas concentrate his play as a position player. During this past summer season with the Mystic Schooners Lucas played the infield, I don't recall if he pitched at all. At the Alumni game this past fall, Lucas played 3B.

Not sure when the decision was made to give Lucas a shot as a pitcher, but non of the preseason articles or interviews I saw or listened to mentioned Lucas as a possible mound candidate. And on the 2020 roster, Will Lucas is listed as an infielder, with no mention of being a RHP. Whatever the case, imagine my surprise when Lucas took the mound last weekend and came out of it with a solid outing. And then my wife tells me that during the early part of the game broadcast today, Chris Jones said that Lucas was going to focus on his pitching this season. Sure looks like the right decision was made here, and I look forward to see how he does in his next mound appearance.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I'm sure part of the switch to the mound for Will Lucas is due to UConn having plenty of infielders on the roster this season, with a couple more coming in next season. Lucas coming into last season was billed as a two way player, although he never pitched in a game last season. I do recall an interview or two with the coaching staff last season that said they were going to have Lucas concentrate his play as a position player. During this past summer season with the Mystic Schooners Lucas played the infield, I don't recall if he pitched at all. At the Alumni game this past fall, Lucas played 3B.

Not sure when the decision was made to give Lucas a shot as a pitcher, but non of the preseason articles or interviews I saw or listened to mentioned Lucas as a possible mound candidate. And on the 2020 roster, Will Lucas is listed as an infielder, with no mention of being a RHP. Whatever the case, imagine my surprise when Lucas took the mound last weekend and came out of it with a solid outing. And then my wife tells me that during the early part of the game broadcast today, Chris Jones said that Lucas was going to focus on his pitching this season. Sure looks like the right decision was made here, and I look forward to see how he does in his next mound appearance.

IIRC he was a ridiculous pitcher in the LLWS some odd years ago, so he already has experience pitching under the spotlight. Boy, he sure looks the part.

If the pitching is this good right now, imagine what it will look like next year with so many key parts returning + Casparius + a tremendous recruiting class on the docks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom