Men - UConn v. Villanova Wildcats @ Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 4/26/24 @6:05p, Sat. 4/27/24 @2:05 & Sun. 4/28/24 @1:05) All Games streamed on FloSports. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men UConn v. Villanova Wildcats @ Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 4/26/24 @6:05p, Sat. 4/27/24 @2:05 & Sun. 4/28/24 @1:05) All Games streamed on FloSports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed it. Kept me connected to every pitch. I don’t know how you do it every game, though. Kudos to you!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Finally got to Elliot today. Some thoughts:
1) batters worked counts much better than a few weeks ago.
2) when Coe has command, he is tough to square up. Coming down the stretch, he is pitching as well as he has ever pitched.
3) Malcolm does not shorten up with 2 strikes. He let's it rip and we see what happens when Bat meets ball.
4) outside of the Broadhurst error, the defense was outstanding.
5) Dalena is coming into his own. He has a chance to be really good.
6) Minick isn't ready just yet, but as he fills out and gets more time, he will be very good.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Finally got to Elliot today. Some thoughts:
1) batters worked counts much better than a few weeks ago.
2) when Coe has command, he is tough to square up. Coming down the stretch, he is pitching as well as he has ever pitched.
3) Malcolm does not shorten up with 2 strikes. He let's it rip and we see what happens when Bat meets ball.
4) outside of the Broadhurst error, the defense was outstanding.
5) Dalena is coming into his own. He has a chance to be really good.
6) Minick isn't ready just yet, but as he fills out and gets more time, he will be very good.
Thoughts on the crowd and environment with it being your first time there?

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed it. Kept me connected to every pitch. I don’t know how you do it every game, though. Kudos to you!

Part of my posting I have to blame on Chris Jones, as I have loved listening to him call games ever since he first joined the WHUS sports department right around 2000 or 2001, and then he got connected to UConn baseball and stayed with the team after he graduated from UConn.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Malcolm does not shorten up with 2 strikes. He lets it rip and we see what happens when Bat meets ball.
Good point. Exactly what Randy and CJ said about him. He needs to add that to his game.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Part of my posting I have to blame on Chris Jones, as I have loved listening to him call games ever since he first joined the WHUS sports department right around 2000 or 2001, and then he got connected to UConn baseball and stayed with the team after he graduated from UConn.
He is a very enjoyable listen. I’ve listened to a lot of college games due to my UConn obsession. None of the announcers come close to CJ.

Reaction Score
Malcom had 2 homers today, he is now third on the team with 8 in the number of homers he has hit, with Broadhurst and Dalena ahead of him.

This despite that he has not been getting regular playing time, especially of late. Of course, there is more to being good at baseball than just hitting homers, and that would include defense and and other areas of offense such as batting average and on base percentage.

Reaction Score
He is a very enjoyable listen. I’ve listened to a lot of college games due to my UConn obsession. None of the announcers come close to CJ.

CJ used to work with Adam Giardino at WHUS, Giardino was the sports director at the station I believe just prior to CJ taking over that job at WHUS. At the time I really enjoyed listening to Giardino call games as well. Giardino really helped to expand WHUS coverage of UConn baseball games, and then Chris Jones expanded the baseball coverage on WHUS even further. To bad WHUS coverage of UConn games in all sports has declined so much.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Malcom had 2 homers today, he is now third on the team with 8 in the number of homers he has hit, with Broadhurst and Dalena ahead of him.

This despite that he has not been getting regular playing time, especially of late. Of course, there is more to being good at baseball than just hitting homers, and that would include defense and and other areas of offense such as batting average and on base percentage.
He did a good job at the plate today. Right when it was needed. CJ and Randy mentioned our depth at catcher today.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the crowd and environment with it being your first time there?
I have had season tickets since Elliot opened. Crowd was good today, not many students, though. Tough part is when the weather gets better, the kids are just about done with school.
It is a fun experience and I hope all of you get a chance to get out there.

Reaction Score
After having started in a midweek game, I was a bit surprised that Coe pitched a complete game today. However, Coe was pretty solid during the whole game. I'm sure the coaching staff wanted to preserve the big bullpen arms for the game tomorrow, considering we do not know if Ian Cooke will be able to be the starting pitcher in the game tomorrow.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I have had season tickets since Elliot opened. Crowd was good today, not many students, though. Tough part is when the weather gets better, the kids are just about done with school.
I may go tomorrow. I’ve been to one game but It’s always tough for me with the weather and such. I’m an old fart. Is 63 old? I always make it up there for hockey games.
After having started in a midweek game, I was a bit surprised that Coe pitched a complete game today. However, Coe was pretty solid during the whole game. I'm sure the coaching staff wanted to preserve the big bullpen arms for the game tomorrow, considering we do not know if Ian Cooke will be able to be the starting pitcher in the game tomorrow.
That was a gift from Coe, that certainly sets us up for a sweep. Their staff is tired. Ours is ready to go.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I misread your post. Thought it was your first visit. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom