UConn v. Houston — Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Houston — Game Thread

Reaction Score
Have you noticed she also continues to get leaner. Working as hard as they do in season putting weight loss on top of that is very tough. A dedicated kid. And, to answer an earlier post of yours, she is directing some traffic when she's in there and they are listening.
I believe/ed that leaner, meaner, edge is what make Kayla the much better player she has become. When is the last time you heard or read: Geno: I like watching her play!!????

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe/ed that leaner, meaner, edge is what make Kayla the much better player she has become. When is the last time you heard or read: Geno: I like watching her play!!????
Don't forget that she is also a Coaches daughter, some of the leadership portion I think she gets from her mom.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There were some posters last year who stated that she would never be any help to UCONN , that she was not talented enough for this level of D1 basketball. I think Bent will eventually get it because she is playing with more confidence now. She just needs one game in which she does not have a turnover.

Here's an idea. How about we wait until Kyla completes her four years of eligibility before we grade her worth and career performance? Don't forget, Saniya Chong didn't fully blossom to the beautiful flower she became until her senior year. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Irwin earns the credits. She has very high basketball IQ.
She knows where she should be. One thing she needs to improve is avoiding foul troubles.
Kyla’s mom is a coach. I believe Kyla wants to be a coach. I see a great future in coaching, more than a career as a pro player.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea. How about we wait until Kyla completes her four years of eligibility before we grade her worth and career performance? :rolleyes:

If we fans had to wait until a player completed 4 years of eligibility before commenting on them---the boneyard would become dust. We'd then be speculating on nothing--where is the fun in that??

Reaction Score
Good win for the Huskies against a vastly over matched Houston team. The game was over at halftime (45-13). Credit to the Cougars though, they kept playing and competing. The 60 point MOV illustrates the difference in the quality, skill and athleticism of the players on either team. While most of UConn's players were ranked in the top 100 in their class, few if any top 100's are on Houston's roster. The Cougars and the Huskies DO NOT compete for the same recruits. The "pool" that Houston gets its players from is not the pool from which UConn gets theirs. Thus, a one-sided score of this nature is to be expected.

There is still a month and a half left in the regular season. Hopefully the reserves will rise to the occasion and earn more playing time. Geno won't simply give it to them, regardless of the score. He's said many times, he won't do that. It's nice to want your favorite freshman or reserve get more playing time, but in reality, we all know how Geno's rotation policy/protocol works. Playing time MUST be earned, not given. UConn has games coming up against some conference teams that are not very good, i.e. Tulsa, SMU, Tulane and Wichita State. Excellent opportunities for reserves to cash in that hard work they put in during practice. Only 14 regular season games left. Go Huskies. :cool:

since Houston beat SMU, Tulane and Wichita St. there certainly should be opportunities, but I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
I've been to the game today's and the Houston fans were very unhappy with the refs asking if they came together with UConn :)

Reaction Score
I've been to the game today's and the Houston fans were very unhappy with the refs asking if they came together with UConn :)
I am not happy with the refs too.
I thought one call for Kia and one for Kyla are bad calls.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kyla’s mom is a coach. I believe Kyla wants to be a coach. I see a great future in coaching, more than a career as a pro player.

Dad is also a coach. “(She has) genuine passion for the game, and excitement for other people’s success as much as herself if not more,” said Huskies assistant coach Marisa Moseley, who was on hand for the 43-point night against Hollidaysburg and figures she has seen Irwin play about 10 times. “She competes on every single play, plays both sides of the ball, runs the floor harder than most kids in college do.”

Quite the background article on our Kyla. Kyla Irwin’s life spent on basketball court

Reaction Score
Dad is also a coach. “(She has) genuine passion for the game, and excitement for other people’s success as much as herself if not more,” said Huskies assistant coach Marisa Moseley, who was on hand for the 43-point night against Hollidaysburg and figures she has seen Irwin play about 10 times. “She competes on every single play, plays both sides of the ball, runs the floor harder than most kids in college do.”

Quite the background article on our Kyla. Kyla Irwin’s life spent on basketball court
Kyla's twin brother Patrick plays QB at Stony Brook.
Personal: Patrick Collins Irwin ... born March 19, 1996 in State College, Pennsylvania ... son of Rob and Bethany Irwin ... mother, Bethany played basketball at Penn State University and father, Rob, played football at Wilkes University and had a rookie free-agent tryout with the Philadelphia Eagles ... one of six children ... sister, Kate, played softball at Penn State-Altoona ... sister, Kristen, played basketball and volleyball at the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown ... brother, Robbie, played football at Clarion University...sister Kyla is a member of the UConn women's basketball team.

Pat Irwin - 2016 Football Roster - Stony Brook University Athletics

Reaction Score
Colliern had seven rebounds, four assists, three steals, and four blocks. Seems like a pretty good day. They did not need her scoring a lot today.

She couldn't make a layup today. It happens. I am not attacking her or saying she is a bad player, all I am saying is she had a rough day shooting. If we are not going to acknowledge poor play on this board it completely discredits the praise when players play well.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She couldn't make a layup today. It happens. I am not attacking her or saying she is a bad player, all I am saying is she had a rough day shooting. If we are not going to acknowledge poor play on this board it completely discredits the praise when players play well.
A player having a bad shooting day does not mean that player had a bad game. I know you are not attacking her. If she had two or three turnovers and played poor defense I would agree with you. But when one part of a player's game is not working and they do other things to help the team, it's hard for me to say they had a poor game. A poor shooting game yes, but not a poor game because she did other things well. However, I know that is your opinion and I should not have commented on it. I apologize for that.

Reaction Score
A player having a bad shooting day does not mean that player had a bad game. I know you are not attacking her. If she had two or three turnovers and played poor defense I would agree with you. But when one part of a player's game is not working and they do other things to help the team, it's hard for me to say they had a poor game. A poor shooting game yes, but not a poor game because she did other things well. However, I know that is your opinion and I should not have commented on it. I apologize for that.

I agree, that aside from shooting, Collier played well today. All I was saying is that she was having a tough day shooting the ball. No worries and no need to apologize.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay. I thought most players played well. Crystal was a dynamo and took over the game. Lou was efficient and diverse. Pheesa played well, though she left most shots short. Z gave us a big inside presence. Gabby was very good other than fouls. Kia played well, but committed 3 travels that weren't called. Kyla had a nice game with a career high in points. I thought Mikayla showed her quick hands and feet and was aggressive on takes to the hoop. Lexi was aggressive and scored. Molly was willing to shoot, but threw a few poor passes. Meg was ok, but did make one and pass. She missed a couple of makable shots. She'll be back in the flow soon. Batouly shot 3-4 on FTs plus one airball. Odd.

Reaction Score
Same with Lou when she was a Freshman, sometimes she looked like a deer in the headlights out there.
KLS and Stewie both gained significant minutes as frosh, where outstanding in some areas, and had the opportunity to work through their "Geno perceived" isues in games.

Reaction Score
I agree, that aside from shooting, Collier played well today. All I was saying is that she was having a tough day shooting the ball. No worries and no need to apologize.
Purely a guess. Collier hurt her ankle in Italy and appears a fraction of a step off in approaching the basketball. That being said, she is one of the best all around players in nation. Even with missing a few layups, she rebounds, blocks shots and passes well. Hope she gets some rest remainder of season-suspect several double doubles in her future.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Better but still more room for improvement. Still tends to strike down on blocks, increasing chance of fouls (See Gabby for how to video). By next year she will be scary for other teams.
Actually, the person Z could learn from is Pheesa. She is keenly aware of where the offensive player is holding the ball, keeps both arms straight up and is equally adept at blocking shots with either hand.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Better but still more room for improvement. Still tends to strike down on blocks, increasing chance of fouls (See Gabby for how to video). By next year she will be scary for other teams.
I think she's scaring teams this year, blocks notwithstanding.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually, the person Z could learn from is Pheesa. She is keenly aware of where the offensive player is holding the ball, keeps both arms straight up and is equally adept at blocking shots with either hand.
And she often keeps them in play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom