UConn v. Houston — Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Houston — Game Thread

Reaction Score
Only saw 2nd and third quarters but they were playing well from what I saw.

Reaction Score
And I think this was Kyla's best defensive effort, got into the body and held her ground without jumping off balance.

She really anticipated well and her foot speed seems to be getting a lot better.
She's the only one on the team that doesn't mind contact.

Reaction Score
Stewart was starting and, for the most part, really good. She had that one bad 7-game stretch. Walker's had a couple of good games and a couple good quarters.

According to her career stats, Stewart as a freshman only started 14 of the 36 games she appeared in - with most of her starts toward the end of the season once she finally cracked the starting lineup and became settled. She also logged 23+ minutes per game over the season, which indicates prime substitute status. In a way her freshman season was similar to Katie Lou's, who started 22 of 37 games and averaged 23+ minutes, finishing the season as a starter.

Megan Walker's situation appears very different. Barring injury to Nurse, Dangerfield, or Williams, she has practically no shot at cracking the starting lineup her freshman season. That's no indication, of course, of her eventual impact over her UConn career. More than a few of UConn's most prominent players never started as freshmen, most recently Gabby Williams and Kelly Faris.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gotta celebrate. Vermicelli and vino.

Ah yes! Homemade steak fries in the oven. Fresh asparagus spears, seasoned with parmesan cheese in the over. Next up will be steaks on the grill. I'll wash it all down with a glass of Knobb Creek 100 proof bourbon.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Funny SNY picked Kia Nurse and Lou as co players of the game. I think Crystal and Z had more impact.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
According to her career stats, Stewart as a freshman only started 14 of the 36 games she appeared in - with most of her starts toward the end of the season once she finally cracked the starting lineup and became settled. She also logged 23+ minutes per game over the season, which indicates prime substitute status. In a way her freshman season was similar to Katie Lou's, who started 22 of 37 games and averaged 23+ minutes, finishing the season as a starter.

You're right, Stewart started fewer games then I was thinking. She still made an impact in many of them though. Walker has yet to reach that level.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ah yes! Homemade steak fries in the oven. Fresh asparagus spears, seasoned with parmesan cheese in the over. Next up will be steaks on the grill. I'll wash it all down with a glass of Knobb Creek 100 proof bourbon.
Pizza (buffalo chicken) and a really nice Cab.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good win for the Huskies against a vastly over matched Houston team. The game was over at halftime (45-13). Credit to the Cougars though, they kept playing and competing. The 60 point MOV illustrates the difference in the quality, skill and athleticism of the players on either team. While most of UConn's players were ranked in the top 100 in their class, few if any top 100's are on Houston's roster. The Cougars and the Huskies DO NOT compete for the same recruits. The "pool" that Houston gets its players from is not the pool from which UConn gets theirs. I did some research to make sure this observation is true and correct. I checked ESPN's Hoopgurlz top 100 ranked player classes back to the 2014. Not a single top 100 player from any of the last 4 classes committed to Houston. Thus, a one-sided score of this nature is to be expected.

There is still a month and a half left in the regular season. Hopefully the reserves will rise to the occasion and earn more playing time. Geno won't simply give it to them, regardless of the score. He's said many times, he won't do that. It's nice to want your favorite freshman or reserve get more playing time, but in reality, we all know how Geno's rotation policy/protocol works. Playing time MUST be earned, not given. UConn has games coming up against some conference teams that are not very good, i.e. Tulsa, SMU, Tulane and Wichita State. Excellent opportunities for reserves to cash in that hard work they put in during practice. Only 14 regular season games left. Go Huskies. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Geno said of Irwin---(paraphrasing) Irwin is a player I like to watch, she does every thing and works hard all the time.
Also, I noted that Irwin, with the bench team and Z, directed them on defense--she told Z where she had to be on an in bound play--is Kayla a natural leader??

Reaction Score
Ya typo. My fault. Sorry Alexis ...

Thank you I am pleased I am not the only one who "fat fingers" a word here and there. (Ok so I can't spell any word--I admit it) . Lexi, Alexi, Alexis, Gordon---she gets renamed in my every posting.

Reaction Score
Irwin earns the credits. She has very high basketball IQ.
She knows where she should be. One thing she need to improve is avoiding foul troubles.
For her playing as hard and with such vigor---fouling just happens along the way. But she is improving by leaps and bounds.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Kyla has some stuff figured out.
There were some posters last year who stated that she would never be any help to UCONN , that she was not talented enough for this level of D1 basketball. I think Bent will eventually get it because she is playing with more confidence now. She just needs one game in which she does not have a turnover.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For her playing as hard and with such vigor---fouling just happens along the way. But she is improving by leaps and bounds.

Have you noticed she also continues to get leaner. Working as hard as they do in season putting weight loss on top of that is very tough. A dedicated kid. And, to answer an earlier post of yours, she is directing some traffic when she's in there and they are listening.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, that was slightly anticlimactic. I drove from Austin to Houston today and thought I might be able to get to the H&PE Arena by halftime, but it wasn't until the start of 4Q that I actually got inside. Sorry I missed most of the party! By the time I got there, Kia was the only starter still on the court. I didn't get to see any of Lou, Gabby, Danger, or Pheesa (other than seeing them on the bench).

BUT I do plan on being at the Erwin Center in Austin from tipoff to final buzzer!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom