UConn & UC to ACC? Who is this guy? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn & UC to ACC? Who is this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Oh it is used. It makes the board far, far more readable.
Agree 10000000% There are only a few who get the "ignore" (mainly RU and Louisville trolls) but it makes the board so much easier to read.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this. One, of many options, is that Swofford could be posturing for a 4x4 pod to a ACC Championship semifinal. Another would be a single large division where the conference gets to choose the top 2.

ACC wants to change Championship Game Requirements- also 9 games?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...fying-redo

Really interesting...
ACC commissioner John Swofford said Friday he is in favor of conferences having "the autonomy" to determine how teams qualify for their league championship games, and should the NCAA decide this spring to lighten its restrictions, the ACC would consider a different format.

Under the current structure, the NCAA requires that each conference have an equal number of teams in each division, and every team must play each opponent in its own division. Swofford said the NCAA is likely to re-evaluate those rules this spring.

also:
ACC officials will meet later this month and will also continue to discuss whether the league will play eight or nine conference games, along with possible scheduling alignments with other conferences, but Swofford said that nothing would change for the 2014 season.

"Any change to that, if it were to come, would be after the 2014 season," Swofford said.

Reaction Score
Pods.....

FSU would not have to play Pitt, BC and Cuse every year while not playing GT and UNC.

The ACC has had real problems with divisional alignment...make it pods, with the two best teams playing in a CCG...and you solve a ot of scheduling problems.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Pods.....

FSU would not have to play Pitt, BC and Cuse every year while not playing GT and UNC.

The ACC has had real problems with divisional alignment...make it pods, with the two best teams playing in a CCG...and you solve a ot of scheduling problems.

What would the pods look like?

pj

Reaction Score
What would the pods look like?

Presumably ACC pods would be geographic, then a few horse trades.

A possible starting point: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson; UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke; VTech, UVa, Louisville, ?? Cincy ??; BC, Pitt, Cuse, ?? UConn ??. Maybe USF or UCF would be taken instead of Cincy for 16. Or maybe ND would come in, displacing Cincy.

Then horse trades: UVa would be in the UNC pod for tradition's sake and Wake would move to the other. If ND entered, they would probably want to be paired with BC and Pitt and maybe Duke or Miami.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson

UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke

VTech, UVa, Louisville, Cinci

BC, Pitt, Cuse, UConn

Looks good to me. F ND.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
They are going to 3 pods of 5 each and UConn will be going to the ACC.

But seriously, this isn't the first time we've heard this from Swofford. He previously made the same points before the GOR and in my opinion I think Swofford was looking out for the ACC by getting the Big 12 the option to have a championship game w/o expanding to 12.

Reaction Score
Clearly Swofford wants this so ND can become a football member of the ACC without having to change anything. They can join a division without having to add another school.

ND, Clemson and FSU will be able to play a schedule that benefits them most without regard to divisions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn Dan said:
They are going to 3 pods of 5 each and UConn will be going to the ACC.

But seriously, this isn't the first time we've heard this from Swofford. He previously made the same points before the GOR and in my opinion I think Swofford was looking out for the ACC by getting the Big 12 the option to have a championship game w/o expanding to 12.

Close. The likely outcome would be two divisions of 7 with a guarantee of only playing 4 others from your division. It would allow them to create better TV matchups (BC/Pitt/Cuse who?) And, it allows FSU, Clemson to avoid playing so far from home.

The primary reason however is to allow the B12 to hold a championship game without going to 12 teams and divisions which protects the ACC from a raid if it comes to pass that the playoff favors teams that win CCG's

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson

UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke

VTech, UVa, Louisville, Cinci

BC, Pitt, Cuse, UConn

Looks good to me. F ND.
If it's 3 pods of five will look like this:
UConn, Cuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville
FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake
UNC, NC State, Duke, Virginia, VA Tech

Top 2 ranked teams will play CCG.

Plus 15 teams in football (w/ the pod system) would mean an even 16 teams in all other sports with ND.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
If it's 3 pods of five will look like this:
UConn, Cuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville
FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake
UNC, NC State, Duke, Virginia, VA Tech

Top 2 ranked teams will play CCG.

Plus 15 teams in football (w/ the pod system) would mean an even 16 teams in all other sports with ND.

It is really hard to argue against those pods.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Close. The likely outcome would be two divisions of 7 with a guarantee of only playing 4 others from your division. It would allow them to create better TV matchups (BC/Pitt/Cuse who?) And, it allows FSU, Clemson to avoid playing so far from home.

The primary reason however is to allow the B12 to hold a championship game without going to 12 teams and divisions which protects the ACC from a raid if it comes to pass that the playoff favors teams that win CCG's
In that case, i don't think they go to divisions at all. Just one division and the two TOP ranked teams play CCG .

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Explaining to my daughter that there is no Santa will be far easier than getting this board to give up its ACC fantasies.
But, but... the Fat White Guy said so!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Explaining to my daughter that there is no Santa will be far easier than getting this board to give up its ACC fantasies.

Why do I feel like if I were on my death-bed you would show-up and tell me there is only fire and brimstone on the other side right before I croaked.

Reaction Score
Presumably ACC pods would be geographic, then a few horse trades.

A possible starting point: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson; UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke; VTech, UVa, Louisville, ?? Cincy ??; BC, Pitt, Cuse, ?? UConn ??. Maybe USF or UCF would be taken instead of Cincy for 16. Or maybe ND would come in, displacing Cincy.

Then horse trades: UVa would be in the UNC pod for tradition's sake and Wake would move to the other. If ND entered, they would probably want to be paired with BC and Pitt and maybe Duke or Miami.

FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville

ND, UVA, VT, Pitt

Miami, UConn, BC, Syracuse

Wake, UNC, NC State, Duke

The cross division rivals are in vertical orders (i.e. FSU,ND, Miami, Waks) (i.e. GT, UVA, UConn, UNC). If ND isn't coming, make a run at WVU for the UVA division instead of ND. They are already rivals with Pitt and VT, and they do not fit the Big XII. We'll just have to hold our nose.

You go to a 9 game schedule playing the three in your division, 4 in another division, and the other 2 designated rivals each year. If only 8 games then you rotate the extra designated rivals.

Some obstacles are 1) what happens with ND, 2) what happens with FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville who have annual non-conference SEC rivals.

Reaction Score
FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville

ND, UVA, VT, Pitt

Miami, UConn, BC, Syracuse

Wake, UNC, NC State, Duke

The cross division rivals are in vertical orders (i.e. FSU,ND, Miami, Waks) (i.e. GT, UVA, UConn, UNC). If ND isn't coming, make a run at WVU for the UVA division instead of ND. They are already rivals with Pitt and VT, and they do not fit the Big XII. We'll just have to hold our nose.

You go to a 9 game schedule playing the three in your division, 4 in another division, and the other 2 designated rivals each year. If only 8 games then you rotate the extra designated rivals.

Some obstacles are 1) what happens with ND, 2) what happens with FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville who have annual non-conference SEC rivals.

But....UConn isn't in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Why do I feel like if I were on my death-bed you would show-up and tell me there is only fire and brimstone on the other side right before I croaked.

I was raised Catholic. That is exactly what my deathbed experience is going to be like. :(

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I was raised Catholic. That is exactly what my deathbed experience is going to be like. :(

If you were raised Catholic and the first time you heard you were going to hell was your deathbed then you have lived a blessed life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you were raised Catholic and the first time you heard you were going to hell was your deathbed then you have lived a blessed life.
Not so much. That's bigger for other Christians. It's the ages old faith vs. works dichotomy.

Reaction Score
I need some Pepto Bismol. All those example ACC pods containing UConn have made me nauseous.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I need some Pepto Bismol. All those example ACC pods containing UConn have made me nauseous.

Hold your nose and suck it up. After all, vomit tastes better than diarrhea, and that's what the AAC offers. Besides, we'll likely need a few more years for AAU, after which, we can leave for B1Ger pastures together with UVA, GTech or Florida Gulf Coast for all I care.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The ACC wants to make it's own division rules so they can:

a) Add ND and have a division of 8 and one of 7.
b) Add ND and have 3 pods of 5.

Unless the ACC is raided in the distance future, I don't see any way we end up in this conference.

Basically our only hope is we start to kick ass in football, continue to kick ass in basketball, get AAU and then it has to be shown Rutgers has traction in NYC, but needs a little more to get over the hump. In addition to that, we need a suitable partner for 16 that is willing to go.

It really doesnt look good, but what else can we do?

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC wants to make it's own division rules so they can:

a) Add ND and have a division of 8 and one of 7.
b) Add ND and have 3 pods of 5.

Unless the ACC is raided in the distance future, I don't see any way we end up in this conference.

Basically our only hope is we start to kick ass in football, continue to kick ass in basketball, get AAU and then it has to be shown Rutgers has traction in NYC, but needs a little more to get over the hump. In addition to that, we need a suitable partner for 16 that is willing to go.

It really doesnt look good, but what else can we do?

(1) If the ACC can go with 15, so can the B1G. The ACC getting this rule change works to UConn's benefit by opening up the 15-team conference possibility. We would no longer need a partner to go to either league.

(2) If we start to kick ass in football, continue to kick ass in basketball, and get AAU, why do we need Rutgers to get traction in NYC? UConn getting traction in NYC would help us a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom