Men - UConn @ UC-San Diego Tritons (Saturday 3/19/22 @ 9p EDT, Sunday 3/20/22 @ 5p EDT & Monday 3/21/22 @ 4p EDT). All games on ESPN+/MIXLR | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ UC-San Diego Tritons (Saturday 3/19/22 @ 9p EDT, Sunday 3/20/22 @ 5p EDT & Monday 3/21/22 @ 4p EDT). All games on ESPN+/MIXLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ridiculous. We need to find a closer. No excuse for 4 straight walks

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
4-2 on our west coast swing so far. I think most of us would have taken 5-3 before this trip started and splitting with this team should not be that difficult.

Reaction Score
Coe, our new closer!

I don't know about that, but at the very least it would seem we will be seeing a lot more of Garrett Coe in important innings late in games out of the bullpen.

It's not often that I have seen Coach Penders take out his closer when the game is still in a save situation, no matter how badly that closer is doing. Usually with Coach Penders the closer is in until the game is over.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I don't know about that, but at the very least it would seem we will be seeing a lot more of Garrett Coe in important innings late in games out of the bullpen.

It's not often that I have seen Coach Penders take out his closer when the game is still in a save situation, no matter how badly that closer is doing. Usually with Coach Penders the closer is in until the game is over.

Willis was doing well early on. He got us out of that 8th inning jam and recorded 2 quick outs in the 9th before tiring. This game is evidence he is more of a 1 inning closer than a "enter vs Oklahoma State and strike out the entire planet" guy. We were all spoiled by Jacob Wallace.

Reaction Score

Yes have seen this before from Penders and I get why he does it. Relatively recent example being Wurster against Texas Tech last year giving up three straight bombs. Glad we eeked this one out!

Reaction Score

-> Game Notes
  • Ben Huber and Casey Dana combined to go 5-7 at the plate with a double, home run, three runs scored and three RBIs.
  • David Smith is the first Husky to record a multi-HR game this season.
  • UConn is 5-0 to open weekend series this season.
  • The Huskies are 11-2 in road games this season. <-

Reaction Score
Willis was doing well early on. He got us out of that 8th inning jam and recorded 2 quick outs in the 9th before tiring. This game is evidence he is more of a 1 inning closer than a "enter vs Oklahoma State and strike out the entire planet" guy. We were all spoiled by Jacob Wallace.

Comparing a reliever to Jake Wallace in his last year is as silly as comparing a basketball coach to Jim Calhoun.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Comparing a reliever to Jake Wallace in his last year is as silly as comparing a basketball coach to Jim Calhoun.
Pj Poulin, John Russell et al were multi inning guys. Let's have the season play out before we compare Willis to any of the previous closers.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Didn't think Coach Mac did Sullivan any favors in the 7th. All fastballs where a slider might have helped just to get the batters a little less comfortable at the plate. Change of speed or ball level

Reaction Score

As Coach Penders said, Garrett Coe has never been put into a position like this at UConn before, but he was ready to do it. Both Chris Jones and Penders noting that Coe was very calm and cool, and when he came into the game he had a great look in his eye. Justin Willis remains the closer, Coach Penders doesn't expect nights like this to happen to him very often.

Reaction Score

Justin Willis had 5 games last season where he pitched more than 1 inning. His longest stint was 2 innings. He had some success in those appearances last season. Things just turned bad for him with 2 out in the ninth. I would not mark him down has just a 1 inning guy just yet.

UConn baseball has had a string of star relievers who could go a bunch of innings at a clip if needed besides Jake Wallace. Ruotolo, Poulin, Russell, and Wurster come to mind as well. You get spoiled when you have that sort of reliever repeatedly. Hopefully there will be enough pitchers who develop into providing solid appearances for UConn that it won't be necessary for Willis to have to try to do this sort of thing.

I suspect that Willis threw enough pitches last night that we probably won't see him for the next couple of games against UC San Diego. It will be interesting to see how the use of pitchers out of the bullpen is handled the next couple of games for UConn.

Reaction Score
As Coach Penders said, Garrett Coe has never been put into a position like this at UConn before, but he was ready to do it. Both Chris Jones and Penders noting that Coe was very calm and cool, and when he came into the game he had a great look in his eye. Justin Willis remains the closer, Coach Penders doesn't expect nights like this to happen to him very often.

By the way in the second half of the post game interview last night, Coach Penders talks about David Smith. That part is worth a listen as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom