UConn to the Big East? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

Reaction Score
I like playing Houston, Temple, Memphis, Cinnci and SMU. That's a decent slate.

Add in Tulsa and you got it! If Uconn could play 10 to 12 games per years against them, that is not bad. If they could go 7 and 3 or 8 and 4 with that kind of slate, that would be even better because other than the occasional upset, Uconn will not lose to the other teams and finish a respectful 14 and 4 or 15 and 3, but Uconn is a long way from that. They do need to get decent non conference games. I would love to see more cuse, gtown, miami, providence, the good old rivals.

Reaction Score
T-man gets it. UConns problem is UConn not the conference. Cincy and SMU have managed to make some progress just as teams like Gonzaga have in other lesser leagues. Last I looked the Zags were doing pretty well. Memphis succeeded in the old CUSA and Temple did in the old A10. It is easy to blame the conference change but UConn hardly has been the dominant program in a he AAC.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if the people floating the UConn to the Big East were associated with the Big East. Instant ratings boost for a large portion of there TV schedule... also add in the absurdly free addition of the women's team... and you've got a lot of great content. Maybe we do it if Fox takes our football games and gives us a Notre Dame like deal. :p:D

Reaction Score
Football can have some time, but I don't see why that absolutely means the hoops program should wait around. To be honest, I'm not sure they have the time to.

I mean on the surface, the Big East as a ratings mine doesn't seem like much, but when you look at UConn's schedule, i'd much rather play Georgetown's JV team than see almost any other team in the American. And I mean that. Because there's history. There's a rivalry. There's actual interest. If you're going to tell me that fans wouldn't rather see UConn play Providence than say.... USF, East Carolina, UCF and Tulane - you're just nuts. Or even Seton Hall and St. John's at this point.... and I'd absolutely eat my left shoe to get Villanova back on the schedule, Georgetown back on the schedule (both twice) and add Butler and Xavier into the mix. And Marquette isn't exactly a storied rivalry, but at least there's a little history there and it's by all accounts a pretty good program. And i'm going to go see UConn play Providence. And I'm going to show up to discount days for Seton Hall and St John's, too I guess. And Creighton is a decent program, too.

I mean in the AAC, you have a sort of, I guess rivalry with Cincinnati (in the loosest sense possible). SMU, Temple and Memphis are the only other real 'interesting' games on the conference schedule. I mean I guess Houston will get there eventually I suppose - but I just don't give two about half of the conference. There's no history there, no shared culture, no nothing. Just another game on a Thursday night.

To me - I think Uconn is a tremendous asset to the Big East across the board - if for nothing that bringing interest back. You're basically looking at your old conference minus Syracuse, Pitt and BC and BC brings nothing to the table anymore, Syracuse is likely to take a big step back in the next few years and Pitt is.... Pitt. I guess. Switch that out with a steadily rising Xavier, and strong Butler program.. I'll take that just fine.

As for their ratings, it's FS1. No one watches it anyway with the exception of their UFC shows. And the Big East has a lot of the same problems we do - which is meaningful games in the W-L column and traditional rivalries. Adding UConn adds two interesting games to almost everyone's slate. And New York and stuff.

You are correct in every sense, its unfortunate that some people on here just refuse to believe that a P5 conference isn't calling for us anytime soon (evidenced by months ago) and that because of this conference, our basketball team IS falling behind the 8 ball (for WHATEVER reason- Ollie as a coach, non development....WHATEVER) the fact is, is that besides an OOC schedule in November and December (when UConn teams are usually still very raw) there are barely any chances to sneak top 25 wins in or play top 25 talent unless Cincy is having a great year. It makes it THAT much harder for us to make a case to be in the tourney when were having a so so year, and it makes us that much less appealing to the country. It sucks and it sucks to be in this situation, but I have always, always stuck by the mantra that UConn needs to save basketball first, before considering any other sport. Soon enough- I think were going to see (if were not already based on this thread) that UConn basketball needs saving.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is complaining about the top half of the AAC conference. SMU, Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, Temple are solid programs. The rest of the conference schedule is a JOKE. ECU, UCF, USF, Tulane are just bad. THIS is the issue people have. Not only are these teams not good, there is no geographical or historical rivalry with any of these teams. I'd MUCH rather play St Johns or Seton Hall. The only cupcake game in the Big East is DePaul.

Bottom line is UConn men's basketball is fine in either conference, IMO. Would I prefer a P5? Of course. But if I were given the choice, I'd want Big East. It's where we belong, honestly. Big East would also boost attendance. People will go to the XL Center for a game against Seton Hall or St. Johns. They don't for ECU or Tulane. Playing the tournament in MSG is also nice. Sure we will have had home court in 2 of the last 3 after this season, but who cares? Playing in MSG is basically a home game and just brings better juice.

Reaction Score
I mean in the AAC you have:

-UConn is an elite program
-Cincinnati is a perennial top 25 team
-Memphis and Temple who have some tradition of being very good teams, usually pretty consistent, too. Tulsa's probably the penultimate mediocre team.
-While it's kind of hard to say where SMU is right now, Houston and Tulane are doing a lot of the right things and should only stand to get better.
-UCF, USF and East Carolina are atrocious.

In the Big East you have:

-Villanova is an elite program
-Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Georgetown (less so) and Marquette are perennial top 25 teams
-Providence has a some tradition of being a very good team, fairly consistent.
-Seton Hall and St John's have been mostly bad, but at least have some tradition, some brand recognition and a natural rivalry with UConn.
-DePaul is, was and always will be awful.

So by going there we're with another elite program. Instead of one perennial top 25 opponent we have four or five. Even the bad teams are teams we have history with, geographic location, etc. You know - and Providence.

I DO think the AAC stands to continue to improve. I really do. But it's not the Big East and right now - I just don't think there's much of a discussion which place would be better for UConn hoops. There just isn't.

Reaction Score
There is a change that would make a big difference in UConn basketball but it isn't going to the Big East. UConn made the classic error that schools and even professional teams and businesses make when an iconic leader retires. It usually takes a few years of falling performances before you can move on. I actually think we are not there yet but could be in about 2 years if we don't get back to winning games and making it past the first weekend of the dance.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I am a Uconn fan and I do not know where some of these fans get off sometimes.

Uconn is a grand total of 3-3 vs Tulsa in 3 years and one of those wins was an ugly 47 to 43 stinker. Plus, the next game is doubtful in regards to victory. The three years since Tulsa joined the AAC, they have finished AHEAD of Uconn all 3 times. Maybe Uconn can, I don´t know, try to do better than the team in the standings for once (1 game back this year too, will it be four years running?) and win more often against Tulsa before fans claim they are not interested in Tulsa.....IMO this is unwarranted arrogance. But maybe I took it the wrong way.

ECU, Tulane, USF, I will give you that. They are lousy and Uconn better beat the 0 and 11 Bulls.

As for SMU, I have full interest until Uconn can actually consistently make it a game but they have kicked the c==p out of Uconn numerous times....not sure how one could lose interest in actually trying to beat a team on the road which Uconn has failed to do FOUR years in a row, not even making it a game even once, plus getting smoked two years ago after that ugly 47 to 43 game.

Be better than the teams before complaining about the conference made up of those teams. The way some people think, you would think Uconn was crushing this leauge Kansas style. No, they can´t even make it a game on the road vs. SMU, are .500 vs Tulsa, etc.

Uconn is 2 and 4 vs Houston since they joined as far as I recall and this next game is doubtful. If Houston is ¨not there¨I am a little afraid for Uconn who has a losing record vs. them over the past 3.5 years and might have an 0 and 2 record this year....

Again, beat the teams, often, before having misplaced arrogance against them.

In his defense, we could be 15-0 or 0-15 against Tulsa and I'd still rather see our old conference foes. No one is debating we have underperformed but I don't know how you can debate Tulsa is a draw.

Reaction Score
Fox Sports did that Big East tv deal when they were trying to force themselves into the market. At the rate subscriber numbers are going, the next deal will be much less if in fact they want to retain it or go elsewhere for content. That thing bleeds $.

Reaction Score
Football can have some time, but I don't see why that absolutely means the hoops program should wait around. To be honest, I'm not sure they have the time to.

I mean on the surface, the Big East as a ratings mine doesn't seem like much, but when you look at UConn's schedule, i'd much rather play Georgetown's JV team than see almost any other team in the American. And I mean that. Because there's history. There's a rivalry. There's actual interest. If you're going to tell me that fans wouldn't rather see UConn play Providence than say.... USF, East Carolina, UCF and Tulane - you're just nuts. Or even Seton Hall and St. John's at this point.... and I'd absolutely eat my left shoe to get Villanova back on the schedule, Georgetown back on the schedule (both twice) and add Butler and Xavier into the mix. And Marquette isn't exactly a storied rivalry, but at least there's a little history there and it's by all accounts a pretty good program. And i'm going to go see UConn play Providence. And I'm going to show up to discount days for Seton Hall and St John's, too I guess. And Creighton is a decent program, too.

I mean in the AAC, you have a sort of, I guess rivalry with Cincinnati (in the loosest sense possible). SMU, Temple and Memphis are the only other real 'interesting' games on the conference schedule. I mean I guess Houston will get there eventually I suppose - but I just don't give two about half of the conference. There's no history there, no shared culture, no nothing. Just another game on a Thursday night.

To me - I think Uconn is a tremendous asset to the Big East across the board - if for nothing that bringing interest back. You're basically looking at your old conference minus Syracuse, Pitt and BC and BC brings nothing to the table anymore, Syracuse is likely to take a big step back in the next few years and Pitt is.... Pitt. I guess. Switch that out with a steadily rising Xavier, and strong Butler program.. I'll take that just fine.

As for their ratings, it's FS1. No one watches it anyway with the exception of their UFC shows. And the Big East has a lot of the same problems we do - which is meaningful games in the W-L column and traditional rivalries. Adding UConn adds two interesting games to almost everyone's slate. And New York and stuff.

I don't consider Butler or Xavier any kind of replacement for the Cuse or Pitt or any other of the OBE.

The fact that NBE is having the same problems as UConn, etc.is that they have no rivalry with Creighton, Xavier or Butler.

We already had games at Georgetown and hopefully Villanova as the only 2 teams I care about in the BE. They both have FB teams, I would love it if the would move them up and join the AAC, but fat chance.

Probably no one cares what I think but NO to moving to the BE and boy am I sorry we sold the name and all that goes along with that name. Yes I know why, but we are now facing the same situation and are in a worse spot.

Reaction Score
I am a Uconn fan and I do not know where some of these fans get off sometimes.

Uconn is a grand total of 3-3 vs Tulsa in 3 years and one of those wins was an ugly 47 to 43 stinker. Plus, the next game is doubtful in regards to victory. The three years since Tulsa joined the AAC, they have finished AHEAD of Uconn all 3 times. Maybe Uconn can, I don´t know, try to do better than the team in the standings for once (1 game back this year too, will it be four years running?) and win more often against Tulsa before fans claim they are not interested in Tulsa.....IMO this is unwarranted arrogance. But maybe I took it the wrong way.

ECU, Tulane, USF, I will give you that. They are lousy and Uconn better beat the 0 and 11 Bulls.

As for SMU, I have full interest until Uconn can actually consistently make it a game but they have kicked the c==p out of Uconn numerous times....not sure how one could lose interest in actually trying to beat a team on the road which Uconn has failed to do FOUR years in a row, not even making it a game even once, plus getting smoked two years ago after that ugly 47 to 43 game.

Be better than the teams before complaining about the conference made up of those teams. The way some people think, you would think Uconn was crushing this leauge Kansas style. No, they can´t even make it a game on the road vs. SMU, are .500 vs Tulsa, etc.

Uconn is 2 and 4 vs Houston since they joined as far as I recall and this next game is doubtful. If Houston is ¨not there¨I am a little afraid for Uconn who has a losing record vs. them over the past 3.5 years and might have an 0 and 2 record this year....

Again, beat the teams, often, before having misplaced arrogance against them.

I'm not talking about having no interest in regards to standings. Of course I want UConn to beat up on them and be on top. I'm not looking down on those teams either. What I am simply saying is that I'd rather play teams that I have memories of having big games against that are local and that we have been playing for 25+ years. What the hell do we have in common with SMU? Tulsa? Tulane? ECU? Nothing. No history, no geography, etc.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn Basketball is fine in the AAC, under the condition, they actually win games in the league.

UConn Basketball doesn't have an AAC problem, UConn Basketball has a winning problem.

Long term, I think we're going to face monetary issues and attendance issues (for the lower half of the league especially) but overall the only thing holding us back is us.

I hate being in here, but bitching and moaning that the league is holding us back when we are consistently a middle of the pack team is pretty laughable.

Reaction Score
I'm going to sound like the ultimate Ollie apologist but the AAC's travel is partially to blame for the mediocre records in conference plan year to year. Unless UConn has significantly better players, they are going to struggle every year they travel to Houston, Dallas and Tulsa. The Texas, Oklahoma trips are very similar to the NBA's San Antonio, Houston, Dallas trip where teams are ecstatic to win 2/3. The AAC though is not the NBA and college kids really struggle playing hostile road games with significant travel in a different time zone regardless of opponent. In fact, I think their success in the AAC and NCAA tournament over the last several years is partially due to that crucible.

Ollie has upped the talent level significantly which bodes well for future years and I think would have paid dividends eventually this season but as long as 2 of the top 5 players are sitting on the bench, they won't be beating SMU in Dallas.

Reaction Score
Just to avoid travel to such "far away" (even by usa standards which is a huge country) places, I think Uconn should try to get into the Big East, actually. It is insane to have to travel across numerous time zones for a conference game, multiple times per year. This re-alignment business blows IMO, makes no sense geography wise. I think I read a graphic one year that Uconn was the most travelled squad in the country, by far. I bet they rank in the top 10 every year too. A lot of that is simply Houston, SMU and Tulsa. I have nothing against those three teams, but it is a pain to have to travel so much.

Reaction Score
When does there tv contract end. I can see ESPN buying back the rights
It's possible but doubtful it will be for much more than they are getting. Here is the problem. The market is saturated and ESPN is losing subscribers in the new cordcutting world. And they are saddled with P5 deals that really make no long term sense. Frankly I wouldn't be shocked to see fs1 shut down

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Rothstein is spot on. I swear 50% of the US doesn't even know the American Conference exists, and this is from someone who wants UC to be recognized. We should have kept basketball there. Geographically it makes absolutely no sense and there are zero traditional rivalries (other than late Big East add Cincy).

Get us OUT! Who gives a about the ratings. It's 100% branding that is killing us.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Rothstein is spot on. I swear 50% of the US doesn't even know the American Conference exists, and this is from someone who wants UC to be recognized. We should have kept basketball there. Geographically it makes absolutely no sense and there are zero traditional rivalries (other than late Big East add Cincy).

Get us OUT! Who gives a about the ratings. It's 100% branding that is killing us.
On top of that, we would have a better schedule and more fans would show up. The only deadbeat in the BE is DePaul. In the AAC, ECU, USF, and Tulane definitely fit the bill and the jury is out on UCF and Houston (due to an impending recruiting violation...remember who their coach is). The BE is a power conference according to the media, the pollsters, and the NCAA committee. The AAC is not a power conference by anyone's standards. On top of that, the BE might keep the double round-robin and just go to 20 games. As far as football, we should go independent and we can do it and arguably get more P5 opponents a year. Football will be on the way out in the next 10 years due to lawsuits anyway. Basketball is where it's at in the future.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
How so Shizz?
Football won't survive past about 10-15 years from now due to CTE and concussions. It will be played in the deep South and Texas, and that is about it. Basketball is the one major sport where there are no major injury concerns and is growing globally. Football's decline will be both basketball and soccer's gain. Better athletes playing basketball leads to better college basketball leading to a better NBA which leads to higher viewership around the US and the world leading to higher participation rates among youth and the cycle continues.

Reaction Score
On top of that, we would have a better schedule and more fans would show up. The only deadbeat in the BE is DePaul. In the AAC, ECU, USF, and Tulane definitely fit the bill and the jury is out on UCF and Houston (due to an impending recruiting violation....remember who their coach is). The BE is a power conference according to the media, the pollsters, and the NCAA committee. The AAC is not a power conference by anyone's standards. On top of that, the BE might keep the double round-robin and just go to 20 games. As far as football, we should go independent and we can do it and arguably get more P5 opponents a year. Football will be on the way out in the next 10 years due to lawsuits anyway. Basketball is where it's at in the future.

The Big East is a power conference because the Big East was a power conference name. As much as Providence et al said they have more right to the name, it was Cuse, Pitt,Wv, UConn, Georgetown and Villanova that built the name .

Truthfully I cannot recall much of the games we played against the C-7 except for those two teams and PC when they had Gomes.

I don't watch any BE games except if we are playing them. I hate that we don't have the BE name.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The Big East is a power conference because the Big East was a power conference name. As much as Providence et al said they have more right to the name, it was Cuse, Pitt,Wv, UConn, Georgetown and Villanova that built the name .

Truthfully I cannot recall much of the games we played against the C-7 except for those two teams and PC when they had Gomes.

I don't watch any BE games except if we are playing them. I hate that we don't have the BE name.
There were a lot of big games against St. John's in the 80s and 90s. Regardless, the BE is a power conference whether we like it or not. We should strive to be in a power conference in our main sport and the one that actually runs a profit.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, we may now wait to see the identity of our newly configured football team before making any major changes.

The Big East is interested in us for a few reasons. One, that has not been mentioned in this thread is attendance at their tournament at MSG. They want to protect their dates/time-slots at MSG from possible Big Ten or ACC intrusion. UConn has a great reputation for fan turnout at MSG.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we may now wait to see the identity of our newly configured football team before making any major changes.

The Big East is interested in us for a few reasons. One, that has not been mentioned in this thread is attendance at their tournament at MSG. They want to protect their dates/time-slots at MSG from possible Big Ten or ACC intrusion. UConn has a great reputation for fan turnout at MSG.
I think we should give football 3-4 years to see what happens with the team, the new AAC media rights deal, how the AAC fares vs. the NBE, and potential CTE lawsuits. If the Big 12 doesn't come calling by then, it might be time to move to the BE.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Just to avoid travel to such "far away" (even by usa standards which is a huge country) places, I think Uconn should try to get into the Big East, actually. It is insane to have to travel across numerous time zones for a conference game, multiple times per year. This re-alignment business blows IMO, makes no sense geography wise. I think I read a graphic one year that Uconn was the most travelled squad in the country, by far. I bet they rank in the top 10 every year too. A lot of that is simply Houston, SMU and Tulsa. I have nothing against those three teams, but it is a pain to have to travel so much.

Given your user name, your last sentence is the most ironic thing you could have possibly said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom