Reaction Score
From Wednesday, Feb. 1

ESPN2
Men’s College Basketball, Syracuse vs. NC State, 7-9:15pm: 0.38
Men’s College Basketball, Baylor vs. Kansas, 9:15-11pm: 0.74

FS1
Men’s College Basketball, Villanova vs. Providence, 7-9pm: 0.10
Men’s College Basketball, Seton Hall vs. Xavier, 9-11pm: 0.10

Congrats, you had one of the best teams in America getting 1/4th the audience of a Syracuse-NC State game. Good job, good effort.
Nova vs PC on prime time got a 0.10?? Is that the real figure? Holy shhh that's awful.

Reaction Score
Don't PAC 12 games get bad ratings on FS1 as well? Its more that nobody watches FS1 regardless of content.
The terrible ratings are not because its the BE, it is because no one knows what FS1 is or where the heck it on their TV.

Fox made some big financial gambles and considering the ratings the BE, Skip Bayless, Cowheard, ect. are getting does not look to be paying off.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't the Big East of legend any more either. Sorry but there is a huge difference between UConn-Syracuse or Pitt-Georgetown and DePaul-Creighton-type games. Add in the fact that Georgetown and St Johns are a long long way from their levels in the glory days and add that to the mess that is fs1 and it is a recipe for nobody warching

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The terrible ratings are not because its the BE, it is because no one knows what FS1 is or where the heck it on their TV.

Fox made some big financial gambles and considering the ratings the BE, Skip Bayless, Cowheard, ect. are getting does not look to be paying off.
I will say though I enjoyed their coverage and broadcast they did for our game against Georgetown. Beat the HELL out of listening to Tim Welsh, and Len Elmore chit chat about nothing and just generally better than the product CBSSN tries to put out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nova vs PC on prime time got a 0.10?? Is that the real figure? Holy shhh that's awful.

Creighton-Butler and Georgetown-DePaul both did 0.1's in primetime last Tuesday as well.

At the same time on ESPN2, Pitt-UNC drew 5x that audience, followed by WVU-Iowa State drawing 3x that audience.

Gotta give it up to FS1 and the Big East. They're really consistent. They're consistently getting their asses kicked in ratings.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I will say though I enjoyed their coverage and broadcast they did for our game against Georgetown. Beat the HELL out of listening to Tim Welsh, and Len Elmore chit chat about nothing and just generally better than the product CBSSN tries to put out.
I've watched some Big East games on FS1 and must admit they are way better presentation-wise the AAC on ESPN networks. Also, if we were to join the NBE, their ratings would definitely go up especially if they bumped some of our Saturday games to big FOX.

Reaction Score
Butler currently is the only non religious affiliated university in the BE and we would be the second? Just checking.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
At this point one thing going against us in realignment too is that some of these conferences, especialyl a basketball centric one like the Big East, simply may not want more competition from an established power that has shown it can take the spotlight in the right conditions. If I'm Villanova or Xavier in the Big East I may not want to get pushed down the totem pole, rule #1 of UConn CR or whatever.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
At this point one thing going against us in realignment too is that some of these conferences, especialyl a basketball centric one like the Big East, simply may not want more competition from an established power that has shown it can take the spotlight in the right conditions. If I'm Villanova or Xavier in the Big East I may not want to get pushed down the totem pole, rule #1 of UConn CR or whatever.
Believe me, 90% of the fans from Georgetown, Nova, St. John's, etc. would bend over to have UConn back in the conference. UConn needs to get in a power conference (at least in basketball for now), and the Big East needs another big brand and a flaghip.

Reaction Score
The way we are right now, they're afraid of us? LOL

Reaction Score
Does anybody have the ratings for our game vs. G-Town on FOX?
Pulled in 764k viewers. Rating was .54.
Weekend-Sports-Sat-Sun-2017-01-14.png

SKEDBALL: Weekend Sports TV Ratings 1.14-15.2017 | Showbuzz Daily

Reaction Score
UCONN cannot downgrade football to "Save" basketball. Basketball is down because Jim Calhoun is gone not because of the AAC. We would all be very happy if we were where Cincy is right now. If UCONN needs to save money they can ditch some other sports before football.

Hopefully Fox will bid on the AAC when the contract is up.

Rothstein just needed some clicks.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've said this many times but this is not the solution. We can hardly claim that we are too good for a league where we regularly finish 6th or so. And it is a disgrace that a league with UConn Temple Memphis SMU Cincinnati Tulsa is this bad. Of that group only Cronin has kept his program where it should be. Memphis looks like they are serious but not so sure about the rest.

Temple should be much better than they are. They play in decent arena in a basketball rich town and have easy access to great recruiting markets. They have talent.

Reaction Score
Temple should be much better than they are. They play in decent arena in a basketball rich town and have easy access to great recruiting markets. They have talent.
I agree. When this league was formed I wasn't too worried about the hoop side. With the pedigrees we had it looked like a layup that there would be 5 bids most years and if a couple of others stepped up it would be really strong. But you Cincinnati has maintained its program. Everyone else has really taken big steps back. It is disgraceful really.

Reaction Score
Obviously my first choice is the B1G or ACC, however, I don't want to let basketball die while rebuilding football for the chance of an invite in one of these conferences. As long as we can park Football in a semi-decent league (would love the AAC as football only), I'm fully on-board with the new Big East. FS1, ratings be damned. I want interesting match-ups, back in MSG in March, etc. I know football drives the bus and I know we are on a huge upswing with RE 2.0 and recruiting but we have to save basketball (yes, even the women. This league is absolutely trash for them. It's nothing more than a scrimmage).

I'd rather see Nova, PC, GTown, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, even St. John's back on the schedule over ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, UCF/USF, etc. Only teams I have semi-interest in is Temple and Houston and SMU (and they're going to crash and burn shortly). Only team I have full interest in is Cincy.

Put us back in the Big East, give us back some regional and historical rivalries and the tourney in March. Play Cincy OOC. We can't stay where we are and let basketball die while hoping football can someday get us an invite. I'm much more worried about the present than the future at this point. We need to save our brand.

Reaction Score
I agree. When this league was formed I wasn't too worried about the hoop side. With the pedigrees we had it looked like a layup that there would be 5 bids most years and if a couple of others stepped up it would be really strong. But you Cincinnati has maintained its program. Everyone else has really taken big steps back. It is disgraceful really.
SMU has taken a step back? Could have fooled me...

Reaction Score
Obviously my first choice is the B1G or ACC

You are living in a dream world if you think Uconn has a ¨choice¨. Uconn will feel blessed to get into the Big East again, that is if the Big East does not leapfrog Uconn for a superior and more importantly, consistent AAC team, like Cincy or even SMU or go elsewhere to another conference.

Reaction Score
Football can have some time, but I don't see why that absolutely means the hoops program should wait around. To be honest, I'm not sure they have the time to.

I mean on the surface, the Big East as a ratings mine doesn't seem like much, but when you look at UConn's schedule, i'd much rather play Georgetown's JV team than see almost any other team in the American. And I mean that. Because there's history. There's a rivalry. There's actual interest. If you're going to tell me that fans wouldn't rather see UConn play Providence than say... USF, East Carolina, UCF and Tulane - you're just nuts. Or even Seton Hall and St. John's at this point... and I'd absolutely eat my left shoe to get Villanova back on the schedule, Georgetown back on the schedule (both twice) and add Butler and Xavier into the mix. And Marquette isn't exactly a storied rivalry, but at least there's a little history there and it's by all accounts a pretty good program. And i'm going to go see UConn play Providence. And I'm going to show up to discount days for Seton Hall and St John's, too I guess. And Creighton is a decent program, too.

I mean in the AAC, you have a sort of, I guess rivalry with Cincinnati (in the loosest sense possible). SMU, Temple and Memphis are the only other real 'interesting' games on the conference schedule. I mean I guess Houston will get there eventually I suppose - but I just don't give two about half of the conference. There's no history there, no shared culture, no nothing. Just another game on a Thursday night.

To me - I think Uconn is a tremendous asset to the Big East across the board - if for nothing that bringing interest back. You're basically looking at your old conference minus Syracuse, Pitt and BC and BC brings nothing to the table anymore, Syracuse is likely to take a big step back in the next few years and Pitt is... Pitt. I guess. Switch that out with a steadily rising Xavier, and strong Butler program.. I'll take that just fine.

As for their ratings, it's FS1. No one watches it anyway with the exception of their UFC shows. And the Big East has a lot of the same problems we do - which is meaningful games in the W-L column and traditional rivalries. Adding UConn adds two interesting games to almost everyone's slate. And New York and stuff.

Reaction Score
I'd rather see Nova, PC, GTown, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, even St. John's back on the schedule over .... Tulsa ....
I am a Uconn fan and I do not know where some of these fans get off sometimes.

Uconn is a grand total of 3-3 vs Tulsa in 3 years and one of those wins was an ugly 47 to 43 stinker. Plus, the next game is doubtful in regards to victory. The three years since Tulsa joined the AAC, they have finished AHEAD of Uconn all 3 times. Maybe Uconn can, I don´t know, try to do better than the team in the standings for once (1 game back this year too, will it be four years running?) and win more often against Tulsa before fans claim they are not interested in Tulsa....IMO this is unwarranted arrogance. But maybe I took it the wrong way.

ECU, Tulane, USF, I will give you that. They are lousy and Uconn better beat the 0 and 11 Bulls.

As for SMU, I have full interest until Uconn can actually consistently make it a game but they have kicked the c==p out of Uconn numerous times...not sure how one could lose interest in actually trying to beat a team on the road which Uconn has failed to do FOUR years in a row, not even making it a game even once, plus getting smoked two years ago after that ugly 47 to 43 game.

Be better than the teams before complaining about the conference made up of those teams. The way some people think, you would think Uconn was crushing this leauge Kansas style. No, they can´t even make it a game on the road vs. SMU, are .500 vs Tulsa, etc.

I mean I guess Houston will get there eventually I suppose -

Uconn is 2 and 4 vs Houston since they joined as far as I recall and this next game is doubtful. If Houston is ¨not there¨I am a little afraid for Uconn who has a losing record vs. them over the past 3.5 years and might have an 0 and 2 record this year...

Again, beat the teams, often, before having misplaced arrogance against them.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I like playing Houston, Temple, Memphis, Cinnci and SMU. That's a decent slate. You add in a good non-conference schedule including some old Big East foes... and I think you've got a pretty good mix. Is it my dream conference? No... but if you win 25 games against that schedule... I bet most of our attendance woes go away...

That being said... our attendance is not bad. We average 10k fans and play more than half of our games in a 10k arena. Yes the XL Center could could have better crowds but given the state of attendance declines across all sports... how many more per game are we talking... 2k... probably not 5k. We average 3k fans more and we're in the Top 25 in attendance... We don't have the arenas to average much more than that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom