UConn To Reclaim E.O. Smith? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn To Reclaim E.O. Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time before these cutters put together a team and look to challenge us in our annual cycling race. . .

Reaction Score
On a slightly more serious note, I think it's great that UConn is looking to acquire the high school. It's just goofy to expand the campus on its fringes and have to walk through a high school to get there. It's also silly to create a patchwork of a campus plan when the campus sits in such a rural location. It actual may ultimately benefit the town. Although I can't be certain of it, there's at least a chance the deal can get done without panzers. . .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
C'mon. The State took a person' house just so it could sit vacant for a decade and fought the right to that all the way to the Supreme Court.

Certainly Connecticut isn't going to be gun shy about a l'il eminent domain in some hick town.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I love how the sentiment here is that the town is so piss poor at planning anything. Yet you guys want the university to to acquire land so they can replace a football stadium that is just over ten years old.

Seems like the university doesnt always get the plans right either.

There is a huge contigency of townies who believe that mansfield officials roll over for anything the university wants to do. And i have seen projects go forward on campus that would not meet town requirements (encroaching on wetlands setbacks for example) that the university has done anyway.

What i havent seen is any townies(including me) on this forum who really care if EO smith gets moved or not. As far as laying waste to the town, maybe you have to actually live in mansfield to be smart enough to realize that it would not be in the university's best interest.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I love how the sentiment here is that the town is so piss poor at planning anything. Yet you guys want the university to to acquire land so they can replace a football stadium that is just over ten years old.

There is a huge contigency of townies who believe that mansfield officials roll over for anything the university wants to do. And i have seen projects go forward on campus that would not meet town requirements (encroaching on wetlands setbacks for example) that the university has done anyway.

What i havent seen is any townies(including me) on this forum who really care if EO smith gets moved or not. As far as laying waste to the town, maybe you have to actually live in mansfield to be smart enough to realize that it would not be in the university's best interest.

Agree 100%. As a EO alumnus, my only attraction to the current site was being able to walk across the street and get burritos during my free periods. Now that I'm gone (and living walking distance from dozens of Chipotles) they can put the school wherever they want.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I graduated in the late 70s. I didn't realize EO Smith was an actual high school. We viewed it as simply a soccer camp for Morrone.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If I had to give up my land, first born child, and left ball and it gave UConn a much greater chance of getting out of the hell hole that is the AAC and into a P5 conference, please tell me where I can sign.
How does this thread and its 'ideas' get us in a P5?

Building an on Campus FB stadium doesn't get UConn in a P5 nor does it fill the seats. Sure 500 more students will attend the game mid way thru the 1st quarter and be back tailgating after the 3rd quarter - and most likely lose 1000 season tix holders (2-4 seats per holder) with travel - with an on campus stadium.

Filling the Rent this year - which used to happen - gives UConn a better chance of getting into a P5.

Reaction Score
That's not what I'm reading here, boss.

Probably not fair for me to jump to this conclusion, but here I go:

I think you know exactly what people are saying here ( that the vocal townspeople are lunatics.... Not that we are literally advocating mass murder ). But still you are compelled to be a drama queen.

Nobody wants to bulldoze your family home. They want to negate their silly votes. They should not have moved to a college town if the were looking to live in a briar patch.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The characterization of Mansfield residents being some sort of barrier to progress is based on mythology.

The university pretty much does what it wants.

A lot of what UConn has done, especially lately, would not be tolerated by anyone in this thread if it happened to their town (like lobbying the state for the de-funding of several local day care centers because Herbst has a friend who wants to open one in Storrs Center).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's always a hoot to read the comments from fans who have no vested interest in town affairs. Rarely is such ignorance so unfiltered.
It's less of hoot so hear a town NIMBY away a partnership with Pfizer that would have greatly benefited the university's research profile and created jobs for the area. Rarely is such ignorance so prevalent in a community.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It's less of hoot so hear a town NIMBY away a partnership with Pfizer that would have greatly benefited the university's research profile and created jobs for the area. Rarely is such ignorance so prevalent in a community.
This one may be my favorite myth.

Let me ask you this: on the day of the hearing that killed the project, in the South Campus ballroom, what was the ratio of UConn students to Mansfield residents in the opposition crowd? 20/1? 30/1?

Those must have been some really crafty residents to be able to rally the university community to such a degree!

Reaction Score
Remember that recent closed door BOT session? Someone leaked photos of the E.O.Smith Acquisition Plan. . .

IMG_5896.JPG

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

FYI, in CT there is no such thing as a wetland setback. It's a myth used by local boards to initiate review of a project. There is no legal standing to build right up to the line. In truth, there is very little to prevent going over the line except a protracted legal battle.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

This was actually killed because DEP wouldn't sign off on the NEPA permit in a reasonable time frame, like another 13 years. (think Keystone pipeline, same law)

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Probably not fair for me to jump to this conclusion, but here I go:

I think you know exactly what people are saying here ( that the vocal townspeople are lunatics.... Not that we are literally advocating mass murder ). But still you are compelled to be a drama queen.

Nobody wants to bulldoze your family home. They want to negate their silly votes. They should not have moved to a ing college town if the were looking to live in a ing briar patch.

I've used this argument on fellow townspeople who were seemingly against any development and they usually counter by saying their family has owned the property longer than the university has been here.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
As for E.O. Smith, the university can have the land as long as they fully fund the construction of a replacement. This is the position of most of the townspeople.

If recent history is any indicator, UConn will want something less than this.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
FYI, in CT there is no such thing as a wetland setback. It's a myth used by local boards to initiate review of a project. There is no legal standing to build right up to the line. In truth, there is very little to prevent going over the line except a protracted legal battle.

I will make sure I show this post to the building officials who reject my plans. I was denied a permit to build a portico on the front of a house once because the client had dug a pond in their backyard. I still cant figure out how a person can get a permit to add a wetland next to an existing structure then be denied any future permits to work on the house.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
This was actually killed because DEP wouldn't sign off on the NEPA permit in a reasonable time frame, like another 13 years. (think Keystone pipeline, same law)

I think the university is in a bind on developing horsebarn hill. It is prime real estate but a conservationist battle ground and an iconic area in its current pristine state.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm cool with EOS but moving them is best for everyone involved.

I was kind of a in the early 90's and wore wrestling shoes and cuffed my jeans. If anyone is close to Pres. Herbst please tell her to call me if she finds a left, 11.5 shoe like this at the groundbreaking for the new Arena at EOS.

6592914665_75ea6aab9b_b.jpg

I lost that f^cker two months into Freshman year during a drunken night on the EOS baseball field. My date was a field hockey player and she actually carried me over a few puddles on the way back to my dorm.

Haha! Sucks getting old.

Reaction Score
I live in Tolland (the town only known for being the highway exit to UConn) and I agree that the University needs to do whatever possible to continue building. I don't really want to go to school there because it's in the middle of nowhere out here, they need to do whatever possible to turn that campus into a small city.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't speak for every other resident. Despite what you read here, we're not a hivemind of duck*ing insects.
Nope because insects in a hive can work for the collective good. They don't oppose the next layer honeycomb.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It's not realistic to expect to change such a strongly held opinion with just a few posts on a message board, but if the reader would set aside his cognitive dissonance for one moment and consider a different perspective, you may learn something.

Mansfield residents taking the rap for standing in the way of UConn progress is like blaming the World Trade Center for standing in the way of those planes.

I challenge you to name one project the residents have successfully blocked? Everyone brings up Pfizer, but the resistance put up by the university's own community dwarfed any contribution by Mansfield town residents. Convenient to find such an easy scapegoat, though.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, I have been a resident of Mansfield for 20+ years and own a piece of property right in the epicenter, so to speak.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
tdrink said:
I will make sure I show this post to the building officials who reject my plans. I was denied a permit to build a portico on the front of a house once because the client had dug a pond in their backyard. I still cant figure out how a person can get a permit to add a wetland next to an existing structure then be denied any future permits to work on the house.

That's what they what you to think and it's better for the environment if the setback is respected, but the law says only direct affects to "wetland soils" are subject to jurisdiction. What is means is you would win on appeal if you were in fact not building on wetland soil or discharging anything that would affect wetland soil.

In CT, the plants are irrelevant. Only under federal jurisdiction do the plants and buffers matter. DEP, cares too but they use administrative tactics to get you to comply, they don't have jurisdiction over buffers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom