UConn To Reclaim E.O. Smith? | The Boneyard

UConn To Reclaim E.O. Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Latest Mansfield P & Z Zoning Minutes: Mansfield residents are concern UConn might reclaim E. O. Smith for future development . Ideal site for a future multipurpose arena . What would it cost UConn to reaquire E.O. Smith

Reaction Score
Latest Mansfield P & Z Zoning Minutes: Mansfield residents are concern UConn might reclaim E. O. Smith for future development . Ideal site for a future multipurpose arena . What would it cost UConn to reaquire E.O. Smith

What would it cost UConn to move Mansfield residents to a planned retirement community?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yup, perfect spot for a hockey barn and parking garage.

School can go anywhere. A decent one will cost you at least $50M.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
195 is already busy so they'd have to really figure out a good parking situation. If they plan on making what is now Mansfield Apartments a hockey arena, then EO Smith could potentially become just a new parking garage. Or maybe they would switch it around and have Mansfield Apartments become a parking area and make an arena where EO Smith is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I HOPE this happens. E.O. Smith is just an average high school that could be literally anywhere that is the middle of nowhere we call Storrs, yet it has to be right on the shoulder of UConn essentially limiting the university's expansion potential. For a school that is in surrounded by farmland for miles in every direction, it really seems like the developers cornered UConn into an area where they are beginning to run out of space. For such a large, flagship state university, UConn desperately needs to get with the times in regards to making the campus and surrounding town friendly to the college students. Luckily the Storrs Center expansion that was started a few years ago and starting to take form is a step in the right direction, yet like I said E.O. Smith is right in the middle of this proposed expansion and really limiting the university's options.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
The town has been talking about consolidating the elementary schools(currently 3-vinton,southeast and goodwin) with one central school- located at the current middle school location. It would save a ton on bussing.

If the goodwin school is abandoned it would be an ideal location for EO smith. Could probably hook into the new 4 corners sewer system. I would be all for Uconn ponying up to build both schools in exchange for walking away from the current location.

I've heard Uconn has purchased the nearby prison and is planning on building up the depot campus as well.

It will interesting to see what they do with the creepy abandoned mental hospital.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I say trade real estate. Build a football stadium on the EO Smith property and then move Mansfield to the Rentschler Field property.

Let them build their houses on the abandoned runways. No one will bother the residents there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I say trade real estate. Build a football stadium on the EO Smith property and then move Mansfield to the Rentschler Field property.

Let them build their houses on the abandoned runways. No one will bother the residents there.

Not sure my folks would like that too much. UCONN can do whatever it wants on the property it owns, but it doesn't own every single acre in town.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not sure my folks would like that too much. UCONN can do whatever it wants on the property it owns, but it doesn't own every single acre in town.

That's not true. UConn was not allowed to build a football stadium on land it owned. Something about causing traffic six days a year...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, they can't.

The miserable f---s in Mansfield have stopped several projects that would have been good for the school.

It really is a parasitic relationship.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
No, they can't.

The miserable f---s in Mansfield have stopped several projects that would have been good for the school.

Oh cry me a river. I know you wish you could nuke the town, but it's not going to happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mmm not nuke, neutron bomb.

Might have been a mistake for the locals to raise a fuss about the site for the hockey barn.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Mmm not nuke, neutron bomb.

Might have been a mistake for the locals to raise a fuss about the site for the hockey barn.

Real duck*ing funny.

Reaction Score
No, they can't.

Not true.

The University has the right to run their own approvals & entitlements; but, as a courtesy (good relations) have gone through the Town since Celeron Square was done by Forest City in 1985.

The University has told a client that they are taking that process back. Setting up a separate State Authority to expedite projects on University land. This is brand new.

Parasitic relationship blown up.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I'd go one step further. The state should set university boundary and aquire all the land between 44, 195, 275, 32 and the Depot Campus. Storrs is really an ineffective use of space from decades of poor planning and just fit it in attitude. not many flagship state campuses have major roads running through the middle of them.

Reaction Score
The University does own most all that land. Its holdings are massive. And, some of the things that you wouldn't think are owned by the University are actually on long term Ground Leases.

Reaction Score

If UConn had panzers, I would tell UConn to roll the panzers on Mansfield.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The next target should be the trailer park.

Reaction Score
I remember hearing they once considered moving EO Smith to over near the Depot Campus but didn't because of the proximity to the prison. Well now that the prison is closed, it'd be awesome if EO Smith moved over there and UConn could take over that prime property.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This would be the best news for UConn in a long time. Hopefully they utilize the space correctly, theres enough room to have lots of parking in addition to a mirror of the Storrs Center and still leave room in the back for a football stadium. Add it on to the Hockey Arena going in at Mansfield apartments and you've really got something going in good ole Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom