UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think so. It's not going to be what it was in its heyday. First game or two will get attention then it will just fade away. Unless of course they are epic games, but as you point out that's not likely.

So $$$$ and hype is a bad thing? I think some UConn hype that doesn't involve ND is a good thing.

Voepel says 1st game will be Jan 23 2020.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So $$$$ and hype is a bad thing? I think some UConn hype that doesn't involve ND is a good thing.

Voepel says 1st game will be Jan 23 2020.
Cat I don't think it's money motivated. I expect we will know more in the coming weeks.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This news is incredibly seismic!!

I am in the :yawn: column here but it's nice to see we'll be hitting something orange again.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
There doesn't seem to be anything in the form of an apology. Reading all of the articles and what little the media has to say, I can't believe even Geno would be persuaded to renew the rivalry without something. Of course, the excitement is probably overshadowing the complete story. If there is nothing, I would be terribly disappointed in Geno, our AD and the school administration. Has anybody out there got anything?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN must be dangling some $$$ in front of the teams. I'm underwhelmed. And if the game is in in the 2019-20 season we can look forward to at least 1.5 years of incessant hype.
ESPN and Nike.

There is some spin in the Tennessee news release, as expected, but consider this:

In the past 10 years, the LVa have made 5 Elite Eights.

In the past 10 years, the Huskies have made all 10 Final Fours. And won 6 championships.

Does a Royal Flush beat Two Pairs? ;)

Reaction Score
From now until that first game in 2020, every reporter should ask UT officials if they will apologize for the false accusations against UConn and the smear against Coach Geno and the UConn program. If no, keep asking until they finally do apologize.

Coach Geno, UConn, UConn players, coaches, AD's, Ass't AD's, and all UConn fans are due a total, unqualified apology from Tennessee.

And if they refuse to apologize, they should be greeted with a torrent of boo's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There doesn't seem to be anything in the form of an apology. Reading all of the articles and what little the media has to say, I can't believe even Geno would be persuaded to renew the rivalry without something. Of course, the excitement is probably overshadowing the complete story. If there is nothing, I would be terribly disappointed in Geno, our AD and the school administration. Has anybody out there got anything?
Tennessee is trying to wheedle out an agreement to play a home and away against the football team. Let's see if that gets resolved in the coming weeks.

FWIW, just because Holly didn't apologize today, doesn't mean she or the school won't in the future. It might look like an acknowledgement that the NCAA found that UConn had not had any major violations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat I don't think it's money motivated. I expect we will know more in the coming weeks.

You're right, I actually don't think there is any extra $$$ -- but if there is that's not something UConn is in a position to dismiss given its financial situation. I just like the idea of the buzz that has nothing to do with Notre Dame. That's a good thing for obvious reasons.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s obviously going to be a lot different than what it was 15 years earlier, but there will be massive crowds, big media presence and high viewership. Games probably won’t be very dramatic, but it’s rare that anyone gives UCONN an exciting game these days. Bringing back the best rivalry in women’s basketball history is great for the sport.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I feel the need to expand upon my brief reference to UT recruiting. What I was thinking was, with this Holly can say: Hey, we're not afraid to play anybody anywhere. We play in the best league [no] and we play schools like Notre Dame and UConn in huge nationally televised games in front of sold out crowds. I was offering that as about the only thing good about the whole thing, other than the charity aspect. And on a personal note, both of my parents were in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's when they died, so there's that.

Re Holly's recruiting. I've seen many posts over the past year or so, and in this thread, saying she recruits well but can't coach them up. But if memory serves (and it increasingly doesn't), she pulled a Warlick Whiff about three years ago, getting essentially nothing. Then she got that assistant, now at SCar, who recruited last year's freshman class. I read that Holly has a decent class coming in, but then again she ought to every year, given the history, facilities, etc., as many have noted.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
It’s obviously going to be a lot different than what it was 15 years earlier, but there will be massive crowds, big media presence and high viewership. Games probably won’t be very dramatic, but it’s rare that anyone gives UCONN an exciting game these days. Bringing back the best rivalry in women’s basketball history is great for the sport.
That "best rivalry" you speak of is past tense. You cannot bring back something that used to be, just because they schedule games. Mark my word, the rivalry you speak of does NOT exist. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the best rivalry currently in WBB is UConn/ND. HW does not have the talent to put a team together that can compete at the same level. She has enough talent on the floor but does not posses the ability to develop that talent to compete and renew any rivalry that Pat had.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That "best rivalry" you speak of is past tense. You cannot bring back something that used to be, just because they schedule games. Mark my word, the rivalry you speak of does NOT exist. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the best rivalry currently in WBB is UConn/ND. HW does not have the talent to put a team together that can compete at the same level. She has enough talent on the floor but does not posses the ability to develop that talent to compete and renew any rivalry that Pat had.

Right...I'm not questioning that. All I'm saying is it's great for the sport because it'll increase attendance, viewership and will bring more eyes to the sport. Acknowledging the greatness of Tennessee/UCONN's rivalry takes nothing away from the current UCONN/ND one.

Reaction Score
The promise of big showpiece games against UConn might be attractive...until the games actually start happening. If getting one's butt kicked by UConn every year was a recruiting draw, players would be flocking to the likes of Tulsa and Temple by now.

I watched the Tenn freshmen play last season and adding in who they got this coming season I don't think the game will be a blowout. This is the same Tenn program that handed mighty Notre Dame (this year's heavy favorite to repeat as NC's) a loss 2 years ago, along with wins over Miss St and S Car? They stink against a lot of pathetic opponents but usually represent fairly well in big games.

This game will happen during the freshman years of Bueckers, Boston, Horston and Jones ..... right??????? :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched the Tenn freshmen play last season and adding in who they got this coming season I don't think the game will be a blowout. This is the same Tenn program that handed mighty Notre Dame (this year's heavy favorite to repeat as NC's) a loss 2 years ago, along with wins over Miss St and S Car? They stink against a lot of pathetic opponents but usually represent fairly well in big games.

This game will happen during the freshman years of Bueckers, Boston, Horston and Jones ..... right??????? :rolleyes:
TN certainly has talent, but under HW the Lady Vols are light years behind UConn in both execution and effort. The game in CT will likely be a one sided affair. A year later in Knoxville we’ll see. The one thing I’m certain of is that both games will be sellouts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Right!!! Enquirering minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
unfair-fight.jpg

Reaction Score
count me among those upset about this. We did nothing to end the series to begin with and Tennessee made a ton of terrible comments that didn't even reach the level of false accusations (since they never had the guts to accuse us of anything concreate). Without an apology it feel to me we should never have played them again (unless during the tournament). I for one don't forgive Pat or the team. Didn't they stand by Pats innuendos after she was no longer coach?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Back in the day, I thought this was the one women's hoops rivalry that could actually be played in a truly neutral location, and it would be attended very well.

Washington D.C. perhaps? Maybe one day.

Reaction Score
From now until that first game in 2020, every reporter should ask UT officials if they will apologize for the false accusations against UConn and the smear against Coach Geno and the UConn program. If no, keep asking until they finally do apologize.

Coach Geno, UConn, UConn players, coaches, AD's, Ass't AD's, and all UConn fans are due a total, unqualified apology from Tennessee.

And if they refuse to apologize, they should be greeted with a torrent of boo's.
Well that won’t be a problem, in any case :D

Reaction Score
Sure thing. Once the Tennessee administration issues an apology to Maya Moore and her family for how they treated her when she chose UCONN (which was terrible), I say let's do it. Of course, until that happens, Geno will NEVER schedule Tennessee. He's the one who called for the apology, by the way.

Tee hee. Your expert opinion?

Reaction Score
When fans were clamoring for the Beatles to get back together Paul McCartney said, “You can’t re-heat a soufflé.” But now he’s 70-something and still out there selling out arenas every night singing Let It Be.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tee hee. Your expert opinion?
Nope. It's what Geno said over the years. After the crap that Tenn/Pat pulled with the 37 page complaint and how they treated Maya and her family, he was pretty blunt. But I'm sure he knows Tenn will get slaughtered early and often so... Plus, after Pat petulantly canceled the series, he's clearly the bigger person letting bygones be bygones. Tee Hee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom