UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Or maybe, maybe Geno will not be playing TN again? Maybe the "rivalry" goes on without him?
If no apology has happened, does anyone see Geno agreeing to this? Something to consider.

Nothing happens with the Huskies without Geno's input or consent.

“I am happy to have the Lady Vols back on our schedule and am thrilled that proceeds to our games will benefit such an important endeavor like the Pat Summitt Foundation,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. “I know our fans will be excited to renew the rivalry with Tennessee and expect them to fill the building for some good basketball and a great cause.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Best guess? UConn resolves their football game contract with Tennessee, probably with a home and away game. The timing of this game being agreed to while Tenn was holding up the other game doesn't seem coincidental to me.

I hope so. My best guess is that we end up with less than bupkis.

Reaction Score
Boo young players who chose to play for the Evil, well not really an Empire anymore, ? Sure that's perfectly acceptable.

Appropiate. If you can't get to Hitler (an Evil Empire then); then you kill their population, right?
The kids playing for Tn now and in 2020 13 years previous were what, 5,7,8 years old? Boo or Moo them for what? Accepting the opportunity to an education and the chance to play the game?
I was never a big fan of Pat and her team during her final years; unknown to me her mind slipped a dozen cogs. At some time it shall happen to many of us without a cure, if that is even possible!

Geno is getting OLD. Acceptance of the reality of life happens to many if not all intelligent people. Some call that mellowing and Geno has mellowed.

A veryoldog did not say EVERY year of the 50's were bad for UC football the impression was Uconn was not a very good football school and that appears to be accurate.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Or maybe, maybe Geno will not be playing TN again? Maybe the "rivalry" goes on without him?
If no apology has happened, does anyone see Geno agreeing to this? Something to consider.

No!! If they issue an apology, then let the games begin. If not, what are they doing. :eek: This is a win-win for Tennessee if the series (not a rivalry) resumes, and they don't issue the apology that Geno wanted, and the games resume like nothing happened. I stand firmly behind Geno. No apology, no games. Warlick is saying how happy she is that the series is resuming. I guess so. They have more to gain by the resumption of this series that UConn does. Warlick approached Geno about resuming the series. He did not approach her. Like the rest of us, he had obviously moved on, they hadn't. Why do they feel they have to grab onto UConn's coat tails at this juncture?

Exactly what does UConn gain by the resumption of this series, and having Tennessee on their schedule??? Tennessee can't do anything for UConn. SMH. :oops: The news media wanted these games to resume. A few bleeding heart WCBB fans wanted this to resume. The majority of the fan bases of both schools DID NOT!!! I can only imagine the greeting UConn and especially Geno will receive from their fans the first time they enter the arena in Knoxville. We know they'll boo Geno. I've got no problem with that. The question is will they boo the UConn players (that were in 2nd-4th grade when Pat pulled the plug). We'll see what kind of class (if any) they have.

The animosity between the two programs remains as hot as the current lava flow in Hawaii. Geno may have not have had the final say (or any say) in the negotiations. The administration may have pulled rank on this one. I hope the details of the negotiations will be disclosed in the days and weeks to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I respect the hated because I have actually read the very shallow allegations and the character assassination by innuendo which followed , i.e., "They know what they did". For those advocating for an apology (public or otherwise) it has been 10+ years, an apology at this point would be as shallow as the original allegations.
Best to speak of this "rivalry" in the pasttense because the two teams have diverged greatly since the rivalry ended, especially with Holly as coach i.e., In only the past two full seasons Holly's losses to unranked teams (8) (Penn State, VTech, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama (3X), & LSU) > UCONN total losses (7) since Holly became the TN head coach.
The build up to the game may be great and nostalgic with clips of old alumni but then you actually have to play a worthwhile game. If unranked teams can "routinely" go into Knoxville and come away with a win, UCONN might just go in there and "snatch souls"!

Reaction Score
Yes series will be good for Tennessee... it will certainly keep Holly relevant and in spotlight a bit longer.... why TN has not turned the corner and into the next phase of WCBB I do not know I can only guess that football and mens basketball are not settled and in need of top priority attention. I do think when the time comes for these games the LVs will rise to the occasion and keep things quasi competitive.... probably with little help from Holly.... she has to solve the mystery of Alabama's 4 game winning streak and add solution more than "they wanted it more than us"....

Good for WCBB because this series will be talked about.... but i hope expectations are limited..... i think the best to come out of these games (seriously) are the highlights of past battles..... particularly in the mid 90s and early 2000s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope so. My best guess is that we end up with less than bupkis.
We should end up with something. If they end up buying out the game UT wants to pay $300k and UConn wants $1M.

Reaction Score
Besides the Notre Dame game, this one will be the biggest and most talked about (most watched) game on the schedule. :eek: I never thought I'd see it happen!?!

We all know that the networks and the print media very much wanted the resumption of this series. It's being reported that the Naismith Hall of Fame brokered the deal.

A report says: "A "portion" of proceeds benefitting the Pat Summitt Foundation and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame". This may have been a decision that was made by the administration, and was not left up to Geno. :rolleyes: I know UConn can use the $$$, but I can't see Geno selling out Maya and her mom for any amount of money.

From what I understand, UConn (Geno) was OK with never playing Tenn again, as was Tenn. Neither fan base has any love for the other. This had to be fueled by an outside third party. I want to hear from Geno on this, with respect to if his apology stipulation was met or not.
When UConn and Tenn were still playing was second best rivalry in men and women CBB! Only Duke and UNC men were better according to ESPN! Notre Dame still not close to that rivalry!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Appropiate. If you can't get to Hitler (an Evil Empire then); then you kill their population, right?
Not really sure about equating booing and killing. Kind of a leap there Joe.

Appropiate.
The kids playing for Tn now and in 2020 13 years previous were what, 5,7,8 years old? Boo or Moo them for what? Accepting the opportunity to an education and the chance to play the game?
Accepting an offer from TN?, absolutely. There are 300+ other schools they could have chosen that are not as evil. But they chose, of their own free accord, TN. They deserve every boo (or moo) they get.

p.s. Where the hell you been?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Back in 2010-2011, this news would have thrilled me (as a Duke grad and a fan of the entire sport). But with the development of Notre Dame as a rival for UConn in the last 8 years and with other programs stepping up to have multiple Final Four appearances in the past 7-8 years (e.g., Louisville, Stanford, etc.), my reaction to this news is, "Meh."

BUT HONESTLY...

Had Gail Goestenkors stayed at Duke, the Blue Devils would have emerged as the new rival for UConn. Follow me through this...

1) When Gail left Duke in 2007, her record was 2-2 against Geno Auriemma (winning the last two matchups, both in Connecticut).

2) When Gail left Duke, her record was 5-4 against Pat Summitt (including winning the last three matchups, winning the last two matchups in Knoxville, and going 3-0 against the recruiting class of Parker/Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike).

3) Had Goestenkors stayed at Duke, Nneka Ogwumike would have attended Duke (info from Nneka to Alana Beard to my source).

4) Had Nneka gone to Duke, Chiney would have gone to Duke (info from Nneka to Beard to my source).

5) Had G stayed at Duke, Skylar Diggins likely would have gone to Duke (per my source).

The two biggest beneficiaries of Gail Goesktenkors leaving Duke were Muffet McGraw and Tara Vanderveer. And that is what is so frustrating for me, as a Duke grad/fan - to see where the program was, where the program is, and what the program should have become but did not.

Sorry for the side rant.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Back in 2010-2011, this news would have thrilled me (as a Duke grad and a fan of the entire sport). But with the development of Notre Dame as a rival for UConn in the last 8 years and with other programs stepping up to have multiple Final Four appearances in the past 7-8 years (e.g., Louisville, Stanford, etc.), my reaction to this news is, "Meh."

BUT HONESTLY...

Had Gail Goestenkors stayed at Duke, the Blue Devils would have emerged as the new rival for UConn. Follow me through this...

1) When Gail left Duke in 2007, her record was 2-2 against Geno Auriemma (winning the last two matchups, both in Connecticut).

2) When Gail left Duke, her record was 5-4 against Pat Summitt (including winning the last three matchups, winning the last two matchups in Knoxville, and going 3-0 against the recruiting class of Parker/Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike).

3) Had Goestenkors stayed at Duke, Nneka Ogwumike would have attended Duke (info from Nneka to Alana Beard to my source).

4) Had Nneka gone to Duke, Chiney would have gone to Duke (info from Nneka to Beard to my source).

5) Had G stayed at Duke, Skylar Diggins likely would have gone to Duke (per my source).

The two biggest beneficiaries of Gail Goesktenkors leaving Duke were Muffet McGraw and Tara Vanderveer. And that is what is so frustrating for me, as a Duke grad/fan - to see where the program was, where the program is, and what the program should have become but did not.

Sorry for the side rant.

photo_00126.jpg

Thanks for ruining my day.... Maybe lunch will cheer me up :oops:

Reaction Score
Might want to blow the dust off those memories a bit more. UConn has won 25 conference championships, 15 shared and ten outright, including 2 Big East conference co-championships. The last year in Big East they went to the Fiesta Bowl.

UConn Football Conference Championships

Season Coach Conference Overall Record Conference Record
1901 T. D. Knowles Athletic League of New England State Colleges 8–2 1–0
1924 Sumner Dole New England Conference 6–0–2 3–0
1926† Sumner Dole New England Conference 7–1 2–1
1928† Sumner Dole New England Conference 4–1–3 1–0–2
1936 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 7–2 2–0
1937† J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 6–2–1 1–0
1942 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 6–2 2–0
1945 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 7–1 2–0
1949† J. Orlean Christian Yankee Conference 4–4–1 2–0–1
1952† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–3 2–1
1956 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 6–2–1 3–0–1
1957† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–4–1 3–0–1
1958 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 7–3 4–0
1959 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 6–3 4–0
1960† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–4 3–1
1968† John Toner Yankee Conference 4–6 4–1
1970 John Toner Yankee Conference 4–4–2 4–0–1
1971† Robert Casciola Yankee Conference 5–3–1 4–1–1
1973 Larry Naviaux Yankee Conference 8–2–1 5–0–1
1982† Walt Nadzak Yankee Conference 5–6 3–2
1983† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 5–6 4–1
1986† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 8–3 5–2
1989† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 8–3 6–2
2007† Randy Edsall Big East 9–4 5–2
2010† Randy Edsall Big East 8–5 5–2

† - Co-champions
Look, UConn which is my alma mater, has never had a creditable football program, ever. If they did, they would not be in the American Conference today and would have been in something better. And I recall the Fiesta Ball against Oklahoma, it was laughable at something like 5000 to 7. They were totally outclassed and outplayed even if they got there in the first place. Calhoun was the main guy who gave UConn a name.

Reaction Score
Look, UConn which is my alma mater, has never had a creditable football program, ever. If they did, they would not be in the American Conference today and would have been in something better. And I recall the Fiesta Ball against Oklahoma, it was laughable at something like 5000 to 7. They were totally outclassed and outplayed even if they got there in the first place. Calhoun was the main guy who gave UConn a name.
Well, it was only 48-20, but you're right - UConn didn't belong there. I live in Phoenix and was at that game. Oklahoma (my alma mater) was finishing up an 11-2 season (disappointing for them), had just given Nebraska one last butt kicking in the Big 12 conference championship game - the Cornhuskers' last Big 12 game before leaving for the B1G. They at least deserved to play a serious football team in their bowl game.

UConn's rabid fan base didn't even buy up their ticket allotment. I bought my ticket below face value from a "scalper" outside the stadium. Actually most bowl games are like that - the easiest ticket in town. But that's because there are too many bowl games with bad teams - shouldn't have been the case for a major New Year's Day BCS (at the time) bowl game. It was a joke.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn's rabid fan base didn't even buy up their ticket allotment.

Neither did Oklahoma's. They didn't buy that many more than UConn. Most fans bought tickets to that game on the secondary market. They were so plentiful because those who wanted tickets to the Championship game were forced to buy tickets to the Fiesta Bowl. What's your point?

Reaction Score
Neither did Oklahoma's. They didn't buy that many more than UConn. Most fans bought tickets to that game on the secondary market. They were so plentiful because those who wanted tickets to the Championship game were forced to buy tickets to the Fiesta Bowl. What's your point?
Just correcting @veryolddog's "5000-7" game report, but corroborating his opinion of how "creditable" UConn's football program was at its highest point.

Oklahoma's fans normally travel well, and they are much closer to Phoenix than CT fans are. If they didn't buy up all their tix to see their team play an 8-4 UConn team, why do you suppose that is?

CL82

Reaction Score
Look, UConn which is my alma mater, has never had a creditable football program, ever.

25 conference championships would seem to say different.

If they did, they would not be in the American Conference today and would have been in something better.

Actually, the reason why we aren't in the ACC right now is because BC blocked us stating that they "wanted to be the only New England team." That's pretty well established. You can find out more about conference realignment, particularly as it pertains to UConn, HERE.

And I recall the Fiesta Ball against Oklahoma, it was laughable at something like 5000 to 7.

UConn lost to Oklahoma, a football powerhouse, 48 - 20 but it was a respectable 20-10 at the half and 34-20 after three quarters. It was a very good showing, considering the respective status and stature of the two programs. Remember that UConn's first season UConn played as a full 1A (now BCS) football school was 2002. To make it to a BCS bowl game in 8 years was a meteoric ascent.

I take it you aren't much of a football fan, because you seem not to know much about the program at all.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just correcting @veryolddog's "5000-7" game report, but corroborating his opinion of how "creditable" UConn's football program was at its highest point.

Oklahoma's fans normally travel well, and they are much closer to Phoenix than CT fans are. If they didn't buy up all their tix to see their team play an 8-4 UConn team, why do you suppose that is?
Because there was a glut in the secondary market given the ticket policy for the championship game. Did you miss that in Waquoit's post?

Reaction Score
I know I'm late to the dance here, and the BY has gone off on several tangents since the start of this post, but as far as UConn playing Tennessee goes, I think it's fine, and if the two teams are decent (and we think at least one of them will be), and if it's promoted properly, it might generate some excitement for a sport that needs all the excitement-generation it can get. I was as rabidly anti-Tennessee as the next guy back when the rivalry was hot, and still have no love for their teams. As others have said, all the things that justifiably infuriated UConn fans years ago are ancient history now. It's time to move on and act in a way that's good for the sport. This game will be exactly that.

Reaction Score
MikeAnthony: UConn-Tennessee Rivalry Renewed, But Geno Auriemma Still Not Over Past

>>It just means it’s a game that works for both programs, an idea that had been kicked around for the past couple years, and that Auriemma sees enough good in the involvement of the Hall of Fame and the Pat Summitt Foundation, with a portion of proceeds benefitting both. Nothing more. Nothing less.

“I’ve always thought that a lot of things were said and there was an awful lot of insinuations, things that everybody’s read about, people dissected it over and over, so whether we ever played the game or not didn’t matter to me one bit,” Auriemma said Wednesday. “We’ve kind of moved on and gone our separate ways so there was no interest on my part in beating down the doors and saying we have to have this game. I couldn’t care less whether we had the game or not because I did feel like there’s got to be some sort of acknowledgement, anyway. But I think you and I both know that’s probably never going to happen. No one is going to admit to any of that. If the Hall of Fame hadn’t gotten involved — the level of respect I have for them, and how the game is going to be handled, I decided it’s worth doing.”<<

Jeff Jacobs: Geno says Tennessee allegations still sting, but he’s glad series benefits good cause

>>Nor does the resumption of the series have anything to do with influencing Tennessee to honor a two-game football contract with UConn.

“Mostly it was the Hall of Fame wanting to do something,” Auriemma said. “It had been batted around for a few years. You could never find the right balance of where, when and all that. “Neal Eskin (senior associate athletic director) did an amazing job of coordinating all this. He worked with the Hall of Fame. They came up with a plan.”<<

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If they didn't buy up all their tix to see their team play an 8-4 UConn team, why do you suppose that is?
Because, like UConn, they bought most of their tickets on the secondary market. There were plenty of Sooner and UConn fans at the game but neither team came close to selling their allotment. You clearly don't know what you are talking about here.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was never a big fan of Pat and her team during her final years; unknown to me her mind slipped a dozen cogs. At some time it shall happen to many of us without a cure, if that is even possible!

Geno is getting OLD. Acceptance of the reality of life happens to many if not all intelligent people. Some call that mellowing and Geno has mellowed.

A veryoldog did not say EVERY year of the 50's were bad for UC football the impression was Uconn was not a very good football school and that appears to be accurate.
Broadway! You're back!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

BUT HONESTLY...

Sorry for the side rant.

Agree 100% about Duke. Thanks for sharing. They were unquestionably the 3rd best program during much of the rivalry, at least from 99-07. In those 9 years they accomplished:
99-upset powerhouse Tennessee and Chamique Holdsclaw in the regionals, finished as runner up
00-nothing of memory
01-#1 seed and Sweet 16
02-#1 seed and Final Four
03-#1 seed and Final Four. Beat Tennessee in regular season.
04-#1 seed (possibly overall?) and upset in Elite 8 by Lindsay Whalen and McCarville. Beat UCONN in Storrs.
05-#2 seed with small roster, Elite 8. Beat Tennessee during regular season.
06-runner up, lost championship game on miracle 3 by Toliver. Beat UCONN in Connecticut in NCAA tournament, slaughtered Tennessee in regular season matchup.
07-undefeated regular season, #1 overall seed, lost on missed free throws by Harding in massive upset by Rutgers.

Very interesting to read about Nneka/Chiney and Diggins. GG was a recruiting powerhouse at Duke and likely would've nabbed (and developed) other great players outside of those three. She would've had extremely good teams in 2009-2012 had those players come. Her starting lineup in 2011 could've been Diggins, J. Thomas, Karima Christmas, Nneka and Krystal Thomas with Chiney coming off the bench. Other teams would've had to pray to grab a rebound against that crew.

Reaction Score
That "best rivalry" you speak of is past tense. You cannot bring back something that used to be, just because they schedule games. Mark my word, the rivalry you speak of does NOT exist. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the best rivalry currently in WBB is UConn/ND. HW does not have the talent to put a team together that can compete at the same level. She has enough talent on the floor but does not posses the ability to develop that talent to compete and renew any rivalry that Pat had.
You are right about UConn and ND but it will never compare to Uconn and Tennessee. It's not even close!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom