UConn to open with Stanford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to open with Stanford

Reaction Score
Not to worry: UConn has never had a tough time with Stanford in the first or second game of the season.:rolleyes:
Didnt Stanford win in the 2nd game of 2014-15 in OT.

Reaction Score
That was then this is NOW.
If we want to go backwards and look at losses---well , ND won 7 of 8 in the 2012/13 era--
But We don't want to go there, do we?? Uconn took care of that with the NC victory over Diggin's ND team.

Last edited:

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score

I, on the other hand, am a bit peeved at this switch. I wonder what led to the change of schedule? Nothing in the article explains it.

I have had this game circled on my mental calendar since it was announced. Easy driving distance, a PAC team ( for some reason we rarely schedule), and Stanford, who we only ever play in post season. I was so looking forward to this matchup.

Ohio State is an easy drive, there is the B10/ACC matchup that could pair us, and there are connections within the programs that make it an easy game to schedule any time. Any time. Why do it now when the opportunity is there to play a T10 team that you rarely play?

I don't know what has driven the changing of the schedule, but I can tell you as happy as you all are, equal displeasure on our side.

I'm grumpy. I've sent an email asking about it. With Walz out of the country not sure what I will hear, if at all.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Is anyone else hyperventilating?

Reaction Score
Tara can plan and scheme as much as she likes, but UConn has too much firepower and too much depth.

Reaction Score
I would be more concerned if UConn had won the NC and was coming in feeling invincible. Instead they will be hungry for this one to start erasing some of the sting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric---I detest "nit-pickers", yet here I go picking a nit: "incredibly deep", at guard, wing, etc; how is Uconn in tall post depth (that lacking of a true big post last season was a killer). I'm not being a true NIT I may appear--I'm asking, you and others with expertise in the uses of players--First I should say: I think, while real pro writers here say Azura will not play center, I cannot allow my self to think this can be so, since Uconn's need is in that position.So, Eric--learn me! Durn me, show me the way!!
LOL! Well, I'm not sure I have the answer but I'll give it a shot...

There are very few teams who have 6'4" or 6'5" TRUE centers - big players who have no shot outside of 3' around the basket (basically layups). UCONN almost ran the tables last year with no post player taller than 6'1". They did it with Gabby and Napheesa patrolling the paint - sometimes 1 on 1, sometimes double teaming. And in spite of that, with virtually no bench depth, they were a hair away from the NC game.

When I talk about depth, I am referring to legit players who Geno could rely on in big games. Last year he basically went 6 deep, 7 if you count Butler. Against Miss State, Butler logged only 6 minutes. Danger logged 17 minutes. This year IMHO he will have 9 legit players who he will be able to rely on in big games - 4 returning stars of Nurse, Pheesa, KLS, and Gabby. Then 4 top level newbies in Azura, Batouly, Megan and Mikayla. And then sophomore leap from Danger. I am not discounting contributions from the other 4 - AEH, Gordon, Bent or Irwin, but unless they come to campus showing something dramatic that we've never seen before, they won't see the court against the likes of SC, Texas, Baylor, ND, Stanford, OSU, etc.

Regardless of who you think starts, we add 2 players 6'2" or taller. I don't know how Geno will deploy his defense, but given that we don't have Charli Collier this year (a true post presence), Geno will have to mix and match. UCONN has traditionally had the best defense of any team in WCBB, and it's something they do literally every year. Without the luxury of a 6'5" true center, as usual, Geno will be the master of getting his team to play the best defense in the nation, and that's not even counting the danger these kids will present for other teams on offense. The talent we have is so superior to every other team out there that even a lesser coach could probably win the NC with that. THAT'S how confident I am of this team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Danger's defense and shot are still issues for me. The ankle was definitely a factor in U 19 though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Danger's defense and shot are still issues for me. The ankle was definitely a factor in U 19 though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
I agree about Danger's defense and shooting. Defensively, UConn switches on everything and Danger can be a liability because she's just, well, short. Even Geno can't teach height.

Reaction Score
I agree about Danger's defense and shooting. Defensively, UConn switches on everything and Danger can be a liability because she's just, well, short. Even Geno can't teach height.

Im glad none of you are coaching uconn because M Jefferson would've road the bench her 4yrs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why Does Kim Mulkey dodge UConn?

When you're trying to build confidence in your team (especially a young one), a win will do that better than anything else, plus it gives you something to build on for the next game. We've shared thoughts and ideas as to why Mukey schedules "soft" opponents every year. It maybe because she wants to assist some of the smaller programs in the area that could really use the financial $tipend they get from Baylor for traveling to Waco for a game.

It could be (as some have suggested here) that Mulkey uses the pre-conference portion of the season to train, coach and develop the new incoming players on her team. Using these games to develop rhythm and chemistry. It also provides them fresh game film to watch and critique. Showing her players the good and bad things they did against someone else beside follow teammates in practice.

Or, maybe she wants to begin conference play with a perfect 13-0 record. She's done that the last few years, and has received a #1 seed each time. Regardless of what you may think about Mulkey, know this, she's not stupid. She is very good coach that knows the game, and knows exactly what she is doing.

ANYTIME you play UConn, there is a real good chance you're going to get beat. Depending on the severity of the loss, it may push you all the way back to square one. Some coaches don't want to suffer that kind of humiliation and defeat. You run and practice hard all week, only to have your butt handed to you on a plate, with a 50+ point loss, it can be very humbling.

Some teams play UConn and use the experience as an opportunity to learn (and grow) how to play at the next level. Who better to learn that from than UConn?
It's much different watching a game from the floor, than from the stands. Lubbock Christian played an exhibition game against the huskies to begin the 20115-2016 season. They took a 95-39 arse whuppin and parlayed that experience into an undefeated 35-0 championship season in Division 2. So, go figure.
One more reason Mulkey shies away from UConn, she doesn't like to lose. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That was then this is NOW.
If we want to go backwards and look at losses---well , ND won 7 of 8 in the 2012/13 era--
But We don't want to go there, do we?? Uconn took care of that with the NC victory over Diggin's ND team.
Did you read why I posted that! Bags said they NEVER lost to Stanford in the !st or 2nd game of the season! 2014 They did!

Reaction Score
Im glad none of you are coaching uconn because M Jefferson would've road the bench her 4yrs.
I suggest those that think Danger is more of a liability than Moriah as a Frosh---please look at the ND games in her frosh year 2013--Moriah that that is! I was as much, maybe a bit more, of a Moriah booster than as I am now a Danger supporter-- Also look at the OOC games last fall that Danger was in--they are enlightening.
The amount of time Danger was given in those games--is an indicator of Geno's belief in Danger; as does the NCAA games Elite 8, FF minutes Danger endured .
I don't believe Danger would have rode/ridden the bench much longer than Moriah did as a frosh--not a statistician so I don't have numbers, excluding her concussion, to back this up--just re-watching the games mentioned above.
The road Danger has taken to get better should preclude her riding the bench--as Geno rides her about her abilities to play.

Reaction Score
Danger's defense and shot are still issues for me. The ankle was definitely a factor in U 19 though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.[/QUOTE\\

I tend to agree that Danger's defense isn't comparable to Moriah as a Junior or senior--or Gabby's right now. She has a lot to learn, and she is learning. Her real liability is her size and unlike Moriah--she doesn't jump and stuff--or at least we haven't seen it yet.
But if you'll look as some of the final 6 or so game Dangers had a nice jumper and a less often used 3. But here too you are correct--we have not seen her shot very often--over the years, other than top Uconn stars, freshmen as did less often used players--in tough situations pass the ball in circles (a CPTV segment) with none wanting to take the shot. Erwin is one bright exception.
Obviously, my expectations for Danger are high, not Moriah high, but high. I tend to believe Geno has the same level of expectation based on his words this summer and the amount of big game time Danger played last spring and winter. I will not bet the house on this expectation--but I have high hopes. (Few to day want to purchase a tumbled down shack in the Virginia hinterland)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
as they are not returning 4 starters and 3 All Americans

Huh? 3 All Americans? Who? I think they had maybe 1, and they didn't lose 4 starters. They will definitely miss McCall and Samuelson. Roberson is easily replaceable. Sniezek has been a part time starter during her 2 years and is a much better PG than Roberson ever was. McPhee and Johnson are returning starters, and by the end of last season Smith was actually their best post player, not McCall. So they have a core of 4 very experienced players, 2 Sr. and 2 Jr., who almost certainly will be starters next year. Add to that 3 highly touted rising sophs and 3 highly touted freshmen, and you've got plenty of talent and plenty of experience. They will probably get better as the season progresses, as most teams do, but they should be competitive right out of the gate.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just a couple of notes on Height on the team. Last season imo Geno showed how great of a coach he is because he didnt have height and beat teams who believe they need to stack their teams with height. True many of those tall players cant shoot consistently outside a few feet from the basket. When I look at Steph Dolsen and how Geno developed her into a very good inside player, passer and into a consistent outside shooter well you dont need to say much more. She made the WNBA and looking at her freshman year and looking at her now the improvement is amazing.

As for Ohio St. Like a few programs in WCBB it is a mess. We'll leave it at that. Top players transfering like some other programs is an indication to me that the problems are internal. One other point. UConn would beat Ohio St by 50. Stanford would offer a much more conpetitive game. I dont think Ohio St losing by 50 is something they want to entertain. JMO

This season UConn is far above any other team in WCBB. With the incoming class and transfers its a Great Big WOW. Once again the only way imo UConn loses if they play poorly. There isnt a team that can beat them this season. Foul trouble this season shouldnt be a problem because of UConns depth. Barring injuries this year should be another undefeated season and most likely so will the following year. UConn has a few players who could be NPOY and a couple of freshman who will be in the running for NFOY. Geno continues to raise the bar in WCBB and no other teams are even close to reaching it. Geno continues to beat his best. It seems everytime he sets a record with his team his team breaks it. Talk about over achieving. So now we wait til the season beings.

Reaction Score
Huh? 3 All Americans? Who? I think they had maybe 1, and they didn't lose 4 starters. They will definitely miss McCall and Samuelson. Roberson is easily replaceable. Sniezek has been a part time starter during her 2 years and is a much better PG than Roberson ever was. McPhee and Johnson are returning starters, and by the end of last season Smith was actually their best post player, not McCall. So they have a core of 4 very experienced players, 2 Sr. and 2 Jr., who almost certainly will be starters next year. Add to that 3 highly touted rising sophs and 3 highly touted freshmen, and you've got plenty of talent and plenty of experience. They will probably get better as the season progresses, as most teams do, but they should be competitive right out of the gate.

I think the poster meant Uconn has 3 all Americans and 4 returning starters

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="nwhoopfan, post: 2295622, member: 7894"]Huh? 3 All Americans? Who? I think they had maybe 1, and they didn't lose 4 starters. They will definitely miss McCall and Samuelson. Roberson is easily replaceable. Sniezek has been a part time starter during her 2 years and is a much better PG than Roberson ever was. McPhee and Johnson are returning starters, and by the end of last season Smith was actually their best post player, not McCall. So they have a core of 4 very experienced players, 2 Sr. and 2 Jr., who almost certainly will be starters next year. Add to that 3 highly touted rising sophs and 3 highly touted freshmen, and you've got plenty of talent and plenty of experience. They will probably get better as the season progresses, as most teams do, but they should be competitive right out of the gate.[/QUOTE]
That would be Williams, Samuelson and Collier. You may want to read that post again. It was pretty early in the morning, maybe you were half asleep.

"they (meaning Stanford) are not returning 4 starters and 3 All American (like UCONN is)"

Reaction Score
Just a couple of notes on Height on the team. Last season imo Geno showed how great of a coach he is because he didnt have height and beat teams who believe they need to stack their teams with height. True many of those tall players cant shoot consistently outside a few feet from the basket. When I look at Steph Dolsen and how Geno developed her into a very good inside player, passer and into a consistent outside shooter well you dont need to say much more. She made the WNBA and looking at her freshman year and looking at her now the improvement is amazing.

As for Ohio St. Like a few programs in WCBB it is a mess. We'll leave it at that. Top players transfering like some other programs is an indication to me that the problems are internal. One other point. UConn would beat Ohio St by 50. Stanford would offer a much more conpetitive game. I dont think Ohio St losing by 50 is something they want to entertain. JMO

This season UConn is far above any other team in WCBB. With the incoming class and transfers its a Great Big WOW. Once again the only way imo UConn loses if they play poorly. There isnt a team that can beat them this season. Foul trouble this season shouldnt be a problem because of UConns depth. Barring injuries this year should be another undefeated season and most likely so will the following year. UConn has a few players who could be NPOY and a couple of freshman who will be in the running for NFOY. Geno continues to raise the bar in WCBB and no other teams are even close to reaching it. Geno continues to beat his best. It seems everytime he sets a record with his team his team breaks it. Talk about over achieving. So now we wait til the season beings.
You are being generous when you limit it to last season. When was the last time we had two starters 6'3" or taller? Unlike some of our opponents, other than the Lobo/Walters teams, while we've have some outstanding "5"s, (Centers - Charles & Dolson to name couple - not to mention Stewie's freakish length, but, as we know, while she patrolled the paint, she was anything but a "5"), we've never really had the dominant height of many of our opponents. And, as mentioned in a previous post, while it seemed they simply wanted it more than we did, Miss St exploited our lack of size, as well as any team has. It says a lot that we've, for the most part had special 5'10"-6'2" players like Maya, Tuck, Asjha, Tamika, Ashley, Kalana, and many other undersized front line players, winning the battle on the boards, time and again, against bigger opponents. Now, don't get me wrong, rebounding is about a lot more than height, but, it certainly helps. Like any contest, you've got to have the foundation of fundamentals, excellent coaching, and the want to - heart, and our staff and culture bring out the best in our teams. But, truth be told, I'd sure like a bit more height - let's just call it a "hedge bet". Having said that, its hard to argue with Geno's championship formula. Again, with this season approaching, we can enjoy the speculation on just how good this version of our UCONN Huskies will be:cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LOL! Well, I'm not sure I have the answer but I'll give it a shot...

There are very few teams who have 6'4" or 6'5" TRUE centers - big players who have no shot outside of 3' around the basket (basically layups). UCONN almost ran the tables last year with no post player taller than 6'1". They did it with Gabby and Napheesa patrolling the paint - sometimes 1 on 1, sometimes double teaming. And in spite of that, with virtually no bench depth, they were a hair away from the NC game.

When I talk about depth, I am referring to legit players who Geno could rely on in big games. Last year he basically went 6 deep, 7 if you count Butler. Against Miss State, Butler logged only 6 minutes. Danger logged 17 minutes. This year IMHO he will have 9 legit players who he will be able to rely on in big games - 4 returning stars of Nurse, Pheesa, KLS, and Gabby. Then 4 top level newbies in Azura, Batouly, Megan and Mikayla. And then sophomore leap from Danger. I am not discounting contributions from the other 4 - AEH, Gordon, Bent or Irwin, but unless they come to campus showing something dramatic that we've never seen before, they won't see the court against the likes of SC, Texas, Baylor, ND, Stanford, OSU, etc.

Regardless of who you think starts, we add 2 players 6'2" or taller. I don't know how Geno will deploy his defense, but given that we don't have Charli Collier this year (a true post presence), Geno will have to mix and match. UCONN has traditionally had the best defense of any team in WCBB, and it's something they do literally every year. Without the luxury of a 6'5" true center, as usual, Geno will be the master of getting his team to play the best defense in the nation, and that's not even counting the danger these kids will present for other teams on offense. The talent we have is so superior to every other team out there that even a lesser coach could probably win the NC with that. THAT'S how confident I am of this team.

Real depth is a wonderful and meaningful asset for any team to have. As you stated, last year, UConn had none. Dangerfield and Butler, that was it. Geno and staff knew the short comings and limitations of that team. That's why he kept saying early in the season, that a big loss would serve that team well. He was right. But that loss came too late. The timing could not have been worse.

That's why he just smiled after the final buzzer against Miss St, because he knew that team over achieved all year, and they came within two games of pulling off a very improbable run.

At the beginning of the season, few envisioned UConn even getting to the final four, let alone arriving there undefeated. Most of UConn's OOC games should be decided midway through the 4th quarter. As you said, I also expect the bench to see limited spot duty during the first 13 games. Camara and Dangerfield/Stevens (which ever of these two that does not start) will be the 6th & 7th man off the bench. The bench players will cut their teeth on conference games. Barring injury, this year's team should live up to its expectations, and the NC should be UConn's for the taking.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's why he just smiled after the final buzzer against Miss St, because he knew that team over achieved all year, and they came within two games of pulling off a very improbable run.

At the beginning of the season, few envisioned UConn even getting to the final four, let alone arriving there undefeated.

Undefeated, no. Final Four, possibly. But I don't agree with the idea that the run was improbable or that a loss had to occur. There were many unknowns heading into the season but it was clear after a while that they were the best team in the nation and all the metrics bear that out. Certainly no case can be made that South Carolina or Mississippi State were better teams than UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn't UConn finish the season ranked 3rd behind South Carolina and Mississippi State? Clearly some thought UConn was not better than those two teams.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Didn't UConn finish the season ranked 3rd behind South Carolina and Mississippi State? Clearly some thought UConn was not better than those two teams.

Pretty sure you know the final rankings were a result of who made the title game. What makes either of those teams better than UConn? The fact that MSU eeked out an overtime win?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom