UConn to open with Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to open with Stanford

Reaction Score
I have enormous respect and admiration for Tara, obviously a great person and a true pillar of WCBB...but if she pulls off a win against this particular group of Huskies, and does so on a neutral court, I'll be shocked. Of course a first game loss is no season deal-breaker for either team, but the discrepancy in talent for the matchup this time around is way too slanted in UConn's favor to raise any undue concerns. More importantly, since the game itself is not freighted with all that much meaning, we should all be pleased to have as many of the toughest potential OOC opponents on the schedule as reasonably possible...heightens both the interest and anticipation levels dramatically, and makes the team much more battle-hardened and ready for post-season play. I grew up in the Deep South, and was weaned, among other things, on SEC football, where it was total war for most teams every Saturday. There were very few "yawners," and by the time the regular season ended, any team facing post-season play viewed such contests as "just another game" after the gauntlet they'd already been through. If our favorite team is, as we believe, of true championship caliber, it, and we, should gleefully welcome these opportunities to prove the point! The opposition should (and undoubtedly will), face such games with much more trepidation than the other way around!

Reaction Score
Do you think the team forgot about the feeling they had in the locker room after the miss st game? This may be the first game of the season but it will actually be their 7th game as a team. No team will play uconn close this season. They will go undefeated and win their 12th championship.

Reaction Score
Tara has the whole off season to come up with a Game Plan to Beat UConn. She's extremely good at doing that. Stanford is a much tougher opponent then what Ohio State would have been. The one advantage that UConn will have is Stanford won't know how Geno plans to use Azura' Stevens.

Agreed..........Stanford is one of the few teams I would be worried about playing especially early in the season regardless of UConn's superior talent. I wouldn't underestimate Tara's ability to make it a tight game. Ohio State on the other hand would most likely have been a blow out.

Reaction Score
Do you think the team forgot about the feeling they had in the locker room after the miss st game? This may be the first game of the season but it will actually be their 7th game as a team. No team will play uconn close this season. They will go undefeated and win their 12th championship.
Can't say I've agreed with much of what you've said on these boards, but you get a head nod for the following:
"No team will play uconn close this season. They will go undefeated and win their 12th championship.":cool:

Reaction Score
Those of us who ask for a tough schedule every year have to be happy. On the basis of coacing alone, Stanford is a tougher matchup.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tara has the whole off season to come up with a Game Plan to Beat UConn. She's extremely good at doing that. Stanford is a much tougher opponent then what Ohio State would have been. The one advantage that UConn will have is Stanford won't know how Geno plans to use Azura' Stevens.
That's the only advantage we will have? How about bringing back 4 starters from last year's team? How about bringing back 3 All Americans from last year's team? How about the fact that UCONN has one of the best recruiting classes in the nation coming in including the #1 player, and another top 10-15 player? How about the fact that Stanford lost their #1 and 3 scorers from last year, while UCONN "only" lost 1 starter, who was not relied on for scoring (don't get me wrong - Chong was terrific!)? How about the fact that the team is on their way to Italy to bond, and to play a bunch of games and iron out very early preseason chemistry issues while acclimating all the newbies?

I think UCONN has many advantages over Stanford, and I don't think the game will be close, no matter what game plan Tara comes up with... I get that historically Stanford has been a tough matchup, but this UCONN team may be as talented and deep as any team we've ever had. I wholeheartedly support fans' feelings of angst and/or worry about games next season and I know that in no way will my post change that, but I do want to point out that we will be phenomenally talented, incredibly deep, and have the best coaching staff in the game.

Reaction Score
That's the only advantage we will have? How about bringing back 4 starters from last year's team? How about bringing back 3 All Americans from last year's team? How about the fact that UCONN has one of the best recruiting classes in the nation coming in including the #1 player, and another top 10-15 player? How about the fact that Stanford lost their #1 and 3 scorers from last year, while UCONN "only" lost 1 starter, who was not relied on for scoring (don't get me wrong - Chong was terrific!)? How about the fact that the team is on their way to Italy to bond, and to play a bunch of games and iron out very early preseason chemistry issues while acclimating all the newbies?

I think UCONN has many advantages over Stanford, and I don't think the game will be close, no matter what game plan Tara comes up with... I get that historically Stanford has been a tough matchup, but this UCONN team may be as talented and deep as any team we've ever had. I wholeheartedly support fans' feelings of angst and/or worry about games next season and I know that in no way will my post change that, but I do want to point out that we will be phenomenally talented, incredibly deep, and have the best coaching staff in the game.

Well said but I would have much preferred an early tussle against a less masterful coach............exhibition games mean very little, despite all of this talent, we won't know exactly what this year's team is like until they face up against a legit opponent like Stanford..........I always assume a UConn victory but I simply have no idea if it will be a blowout or a nail biter and that's because historically Stanford can look awful or play way over their heads................

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Well said but I would have much preferred an early tussle against a less masterful coach..exhibition games mean very little, despite all of this talent, we won't know exactly what this year's team is like until they face up against a legit opponent like Stanford.....I always assume a UConn victory but I simply have no idea if it will be a blowout or a nail biter and that's because historically Stanford can look awful or play way over their heads......
I think Stanford will be more of a challenge later in the season than this early, as they are not returning 4 starters and 3 All Americans and instead need to figure out a new lineup, likely including sophomores and maybe freshmen.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Doesn't UConn have a pretty good coach too?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Currently Geno trails Tara by 21 wins in the race to 1099.
After this game he will hopefully trail by 20 wins.
This should be a powerful incentive for all pro-Geno forces to change the schedule.
Kudos to Stanford for accepting the change.
I'm not at all sure that Geno will catch Tara. I'm okay with it though.

Rank Name Years Wins Losses Pct. Teams (Seasons)
1 Pat Summitt 38 1098 208 .841 Tennessee (1974–2012)

2 Tara VanDerveer 38 1012 231 .814 Idaho (1978–80), Ohio State (1980–85), Stanford (1985–95, 1996-)

3 Geno Auriemma 32 991 135 .880 Connecticut (1985-)

4 Sylvia Hatchell 42 990 374 .726 Francis Marion (1975–86), North Carolina (1986-)

6 C. Vivian Stringer 46 977 390 .715 Cheyney (1971–83), Iowa (1983–95), Rutgers (1995-)

11 Muffet McGraw 35 853 268 .761 Lehigh (1982–87), Notre Dame (1987–)

Milestones that Geno will likely reach include
  • 1000 wins (9 away)
  • Passing Summitt (97 wins away)
  • 90% (.900) winning percentage. (.020 away)

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since it's being played on the court that will host the Final Four I'm tempted to say yes. :D

It will be a neutral site game.
Ok thanks.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I said that in my last line. "I do want to point out that we will be phenomenally talented, incredibly deep, and have the best coaching staff in the game"... ;)
I'm not getting on you, neighbor, but so much of the thread has been about Tara and the amount of time she'll have to prepare. Geno will have that time, too. I probably should have placed my reply elsewhere but I'm new to the site and still finding my way.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm not at all sure that Geno will catch Tara. I'm okay with it though.

Rank Name Years Wins Losses Pct. Teams (Seasons)
1 Pat Summitt ** 38 1098 208 .841 Tennessee (1974–2012)

2 Tara VanDerveer ** 38 1012 231 .814 Idaho (1978–80), Ohio State (1980–85), Stanford (1985–95, 1996-)

3 Geno Auriemma ** 32 991 135 .880 Connecticut (1985-)

4 Sylvia Hatchell ** 42 990 374 .726 Francis Marion (1975–86), North Carolina (1986-)

5 Barbara Stevens * 40 983 274 .782 Clark (MA) (1977–83), Massachusetts (1983–86), Bentley (1986-)

6 C. Vivian Stringer ** 46 977 390 .715 Cheyney (1971–83), Iowa (1983–95), Rutgers (1995-)

8 Jim Foster * 39 886 334 .726 Saint Joseph's (1978–91), Vanderbilt (1991–2002), Ohio State (2002–13), Chattanooga (2013-)

11 Muffet McGraw ** 35 853 268 .761 Lehigh (1982–87), Notre Dame (1987–)

Milestones that Geno will likely reach include
  • 1000 wins (9 way)
  • Passing Summitt (97 wins away)
  • 90% (.900) winning percentage. (.020 away)
I'm absolutely sure that Tara will never catch Geno in the stat that matters most, National Championships. Geno leads 11-2 and no one on the Stanford roster was even born the last time The Cardinal won the national title.

Reaction Score

Eric---I detest "nit-pickers", yet here I go picking a nit: "incredibly deep", at guard, wing, etc; how is Uconn in tall post depth (that lacking of a true big post last season was a killer).
I'm not being a true NIT I may appear--I'm asking, you and others with expertise in the uses of players--
First I should say: I think, while real pro writers here say Azura will not play center, I cannot allow my self to think this can be so, since Uconn's need is in that position.
So, Eric--learn me! Durn me, show me the way!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the Texas game on Jan 15, South Carolina on Feb 1 and Louisville on Feb 12, that's 3 non-conference games after Jan 1 and during the AAC schedule. This is probably the first time that's happened since Maya played. Back then UConn regularly played 2-3 non-conference games during its Big East schedule. This is great news and will help the team prepare for March and help fans get through the AAC schedule.

Feb 1 is a Thursday, BTW. The Jan 15 and Feb 12 games will be Big Monday games on one of the ESPN channels.

It will break up the monotony of playing in the AAC. Let's face it, there's not much to look forward to once conference play begins. There's 3 (dates) games you can circle on your calendar for the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Tara will spend the next 3 months planning for this game. She will find a way to beat UConn 92-87 in double overtime, then lose 10 of the next 12 games finishing the season 17-12.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
With the Texas game on Jan 15, South Carolina on Feb 1 and Louisville on Feb 12, that's 3 non-conference games after Jan 1 and during the AAC schedule. This is probably the first time that's happened since Maya played. Back then UConn regularly played 2-3 non-conference games during its Big East schedule. This is great news and will help the team prepare for March and help fans get through the AAC schedule.

Feb 1 is a Thursday, BTW. The Jan 15 and Feb 12 games will be Big Monday games on one of the ESPN channels.

Oh, I see, all of a sudden Geno is willing to play this schedule now that he thinks he can win. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom