UConn to open with Stanford | The Boneyard

UConn to open with Stanford

Reaction Score
Carl Ademec is reporting that UConn will open with Stanford instead of Ohio State.

The Buckeyes will play Louisville instead (previously Stanford was scheduled to
play Louisville).

I think the cardinal will be a tougher opponent.

I'm not good at posting links, but it's on the SNY website.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe my mind will change when the game time gets closer, but I'm not the least bit worried about this game. They lost Erica McCall and Karlie Samuelson. They DO have an excellent freshman class coming in anchored by Maya Dodson and Kiana Williams (top 15 kids), but let's see...

Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, Danger, Stevens, Camara, Walker, Coombs, etc. vs
McPhee, Smith, Roberson, Sniezak, Fingall, Johnson, Wilson, Dodson, Williams etc...

Stanford lost their #1 and 3 scoring options in McCall and Samuelson. UCONN lost starter Chong.

Stanford has new players in Williams, Dodson, Moschkau (a highly rated wing - 5 star), and Jerome (NR).
UCONN has new players in Stevens, Camara, Walker, Coombs, E-H, and Gordon.

I'd be stunned if UCONN won this game by less than 15, and think the MOV will be closer to 25. 3 of our 4 starters who are coming back are All Americans from LAST YEAR. Even tho it's the first game of the new season, it's not like UCONN lost a ton to graduation and needs time to mesh with new chemistry. Tara gets a TON out of average to very good players. But they will be no match for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Carl Ademec is reporting that UConn will open with Stanford instead of Ohio State.
The Buckeyes will play Louisville instead (previously Stanford was scheduled to
play Louisville).
I think the cardinal will be a tougher opponent
I'm not good at posting links, but it's on the SNY website.

UConn's 13-game non-league schedule will also have it hosting California-Berkeley (Nov. 17), Maryland (Nov. 19), Notre Dame (Dec. 3), and Louisville (Feb. 12), visiting UCLA (Nov. 21), Nevada (Nov. 28), DePaul (Dec. 8), Texas (Jan. 15), and South Carolina (Feb. 1), and neutral site games with Michigan State in Eugene, Oregon (Nov. 25), Oklahoma at Mohegan Sun Arena (Dec. 19), and Duquesne in Toronto (Dec. 22).

The Huskies' 16-game American Athletic Conference schedule will have them playing five schools -- Central Florida, Memphis, South Florida, Temple and Tulane -- home and away, hosting Cincinnati, Tulsa, and Wichita State, while visiting East Carolina, Houston, and SMU.

Schedule switch: UConn to open with Stanford

Reaction Score
I cannot ever remember a high profile switch of opponent like this.

I wonder what or who was the cause of it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For obvious reasons, I can't think of a better way to begin the season than to begin with Stanford.

Kudos to who ever came up with the idea of Ohio St. and UConn switching opponents. I wonder if it was done to accommodate television. A UConn/Stanford matchup would draw more TV viewers than if UConn played either Louisville or Ohio State. Regardless, I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Currently Geno trails Tara by 21 wins in the race to 1099.
After this game he will hopefully trail by 20 wins.
This should be a powerful incentive for all pro-Geno forces to change the schedule.
Kudos to Stanford for accepting the change.

Reaction Score
Maybe my mind will change when the game time gets closer, but I'm not the least bit worried about this game. They lost Erica McCall and Karlie Samuelson. They DO have an excellent freshman class coming in anchored by Maya Dodson and Kiana Williams (top 15 kids), but let's see...

Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, Danger, Stevens, Camara, Walker, Coombs, etc. vs
McPhee, Smith, Roberson, Sniezak, Fingall, Johnson, Wilson, Dodson, Williams etc...

Stanford lost their #1 and 3 scoring options in McCall and Samuelson. UCONN lost starter Chong.

Stanford has new players in Williams, Dodson, Moschkau (a highly rated wing - 5 star), and Jerome (NR).

I'd be stunned if UCONN won this game by less than 15, and think the MOV will be closer to 25. 3 of our 4 starters who are coming back are All Americans from LAST YEAR. Even tho it's the first game of the new season, it's not like UCONN lost a ton to graduation and needs time to mesh with new chemistry. Tara gets a TON out of average to very good players. But they will be no match for UCONN.

There was a lot of talk like this before their last matchup.

Since the games in 08 & 10 I always have a pit in my stomach when UConn plays Stanford. Tara has had success in denying both passes and driving into the paint and forcing UConn to take 3's from places they don't like (and missing a lot). And Tara will have 3 months to come up with her game plan.

And in a side note to those who think Jefferson was such a great sophomore, she had 2 pts (1-7) in 17 minutes in the last game UConn won vs the Trees. Chong, a freshman, had better numbers across the board.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really like the switch. With all the talent at tOSU, I think the outcome was a foregone conclusion with the Huskies winning by 20+.

While I don't think the outcome vs Stanford is in doubt, Tara's teams force you to play hard and smart to beat them. Great test right out of the gate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I come home to find this! Report: UConn to face Stanford in season opener

Gotta say, and I haven't read anything in the above posts, early season West Coast games make me more than a little antsy/nervous. I was surprised because: " Originally, UConn was supposed to play Ohio State but now the Buckeyes will meet Louisville while UConn and Stanford will square off in a doubleheader."

"The Stanford game will be one of three games in the regular season against Pac 12 opponents as the Huskies host Cal on Nov. 17 in UConn's home opener and will play at UCLA on Nov. 21. The Huskies will also play on Oregon's home court as part of the PK80 event in honor of Nike founder Phil Knight's 80th birthday. However, the opponent in the Nov. 25 game will be Michigan State."

Reaction Score

What is the cause of a lot things in this world? Money. I would think local ticket sales are going to be higher in a game held in Columbus, Ohio if OSU is playing a team they actually have a chance of beating. The same locals also will be more likely to come out and watch the precision and beauty that is UConn when they are beating someone other than the "home" team.

Reaction Score
Stanford has a better coach and will probably be better prepared, but I guess I'm the only one who thinks Ohio St is the stronger of the two.

I would put the Buckeyes in the top 10. Not the Card.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Roberson graduated and is playing in Europe this fall. She started 37 of 38 games for The Farm, avg 25mpg, 6.5ppg with 94 assists and 56 turnovers. Very steady player for the one time walk on who got a scholarship later on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With the Texas game on Jan 15, South Carolina on Feb 1 and Louisville on Feb 12, that's 3 non-conference games after Jan 1 and during the AAC schedule. This is probably the first time that's happened since Maya played. Back then UConn regularly played 2-3 non-conference games during its Big East schedule. This is great news and will help the team prepare for March and help fans get through the AAC schedule.

Feb 1 is a Thursday, BTW. The Jan 15 and Feb 12 games will be Big Monday games on one of the ESPN channels.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tara has the whole off season to come up with a Game Plan to Beat UConn. She's extremely good at doing that. Stanford is a much tougher opponent then what Ohio State would have been. The one advantage that UConn will have is Stanford won't know how Geno plans to use Azura' Stevens.

Reaction Score
Tara has the whole off season to come up with a Game Plan to Beat UConn. She's extremely good at doing that. Stanford is a much tougher opponent then what Ohio State would have been. The one advantage that UConn will have is Stanford won't know how Geno plans to use Azura' Stevens.

Tara can have the next hundred off seasons to game plan and it won't make a difference. UConn is just simply too talented and too deep for Stanford. Honestly, I don't think this game will be close at all.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Wow, this is GREAT news! Stanford is one of the few schools that has continued (albeit NOT continuous) success against UConn. I'm excited to see the teams go at it again.
I agree with most posters, that the game is not be close, but I'm glad see two great coaches facing off against one another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom