UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football?

Reaction Score
There are a few problems with going independent. The biggest is scheduling. If we were ND or BYU it wouldn't be a problem, but nine years of losing seasons makes us about as attractive as New Mexico St. or UTEP.

With no conference tie ins, we get no bowl games...ever, unless we miraculously become BYU or ND.

No bowl games means no bowl money and exposure, and no conference means no shared bowl revenue from the conference.

Also, if we start having to play a strange schedule with teams like Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Monroe, and Middle Tennessee State on our home schedule, who's going to attend the games?

UConn football fans need to face reality. The program is in shambles and needs a full makeover. Edsall has a huge rebuilding challenge on his hands, and he’s proven capable at the task in the past. However, I expect that the rebuild to making UConn a competitive program will take 10-15 years, minimum. So if the Huskies have to play Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Monroe and Middle Tennessee State at The Rent so be it - that may well be the harsh reality. At least football fans will still have a product to watch.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think there will be less fan angst regarding a poor performing football program once it sails off into total national irrelevance.

UConn basketball first/only fans will be overjoyed that football becomes a very minor side show.

Where football ends up is anybody's guess....but an all sports conference taking a football only program, to me, seems less likely than indy.

This decision tells us what we all knew..
....regionalism still is important to fans
....basketball is far, far away the UConn primary sport
....the nostalgia for the old Big East is a strong pull
....UConn didn't ultimately have the $$ to compete in football.
With a strong football program, UConn is the University of Michigan. Without a strong football program, we are the University of New Hampshire.

Both are good schools, but Michigan is more prestigious.

Reaction Score
UConn football fans need to face reality. The program is in shambles and needs a full makeover. Edsall has a huge rebuilding challenge on his hands, and he’s proven capable at the task in the past. However, I expect that the rebuild to making UConn a competitive program will take 10-15 years, minimum. So if the Huskies have to play Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Monroe and Middle Tennessee State at The Rent so be it - that may well be the harsh reality. At least football fans will still have a product to watch.
This guy has clearly not seen the new locker rooms.

Reaction Score
This guy has clearly not seen the new locker rooms.

The next time that UConn wins a football game because they have adequate facilities will be the first time.

Reaction Score
Candidly if you’ve been a UConn football fan long enough - the best era was when they were essentially a MAC team.

That's why I prefer MAC to INDY. If we go to the MAC our recruiting might fall off a bit initially..but ..recruiting could pick up again and start a comeback if we start stringing together winning seasons. Look at what Western Michigan did a couple seasons ago.

Problem is of course ESPN controls everything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Apparently the guy who claims he can't wait to coach in the NBA.

You missed the point (shocking).

Our basketball brand can lure a Hurley and our football brand can lure an Edsall...

Some of you guys would have been screaming to stick with New Coke.

Reaction Score
You missed the point (shocking).

Our basketball brand can lure a Hurley and our football brand can lure an Edsall...

Some of you guys would have been screaming to stick with New Coke.

The AAC has better coaches then the C7 league. Hurley joined the AAC. There is no way this move was guaranteed to him when he signed on. Maybe it was presented as a possibility and he swung the pendulum internally.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's why I prefer MAC to INDY. If we go to the MAC our recruiting might fall off a bit initially..but ..recruiting could pick up again and start a comeback if we start stringing together winning seasons. Look at what Western Michigan did a couple seasons ago.

Problem is of course ESPN controls everything.

MAC kicked out UMass, why would they want us? I doubt we can get an invite.

Reaction Score

Our selling points would be a better fanbase and football stadium than UMASS. (see picture of empty NFL stadium)

We could also guarantee them basketball games. Men's and Women's. I agree they might still say no especially with ESPN controlling them.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs 57 seconds ago
This day may have been destined for UConn following the 2011 Fiesta Bowl when the Huskies were boat-raced by OU. Lost game, P5 status and momentum toward moving up. Edsall bolted. Could have been final straw toward a playoff -- that an 8-4 UConn could get to a major bowl.
We lost 1 game, then the coach, and then the program. If Edsall had stayed, I think it would have been completely different. We were trendy upward.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

But, you're talking about rebuilding a program when the principals have taken a deliberate decision to move a step back. So why do they want to rebuild it? If they wanted to rebuild it, they wouldn't have made the decision to dismantle it.

Reaction Score
Tell me how leaving the AAC helps UConn?

Tell me who from the university has stated this is a fait accompli?

Tell me how playing Georgetown, St. Johns, Providence and Villanova is some drastic improvement over Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and Temple?

Tell me how downgrading football(and leaving the AAC for the MAC or an independent schedule would be a downgrade) will in any way improve UConn's chances of an invite to the best possible fit, membership in the ACC or B1G?

I have a feeling this is more of a hack job by someone with an ax to grind against UConn than anything concrete. Until there is an official announcement from the school don't believe this nonsense. It would be suicidal for the school to go that route.

Reaction Score
Who would want to play us as an Independent? In our present state, we'd kill anybody's SOS. We also lose the conference share of bowl revenue. Within the past couple of years, Val Ackerman indicated the NBE wasn't interested in us unless we decided to do something with football, as in drop it or downgrade it to FCS.
We’re not downgrading to FCS. Val will have to change her rhetoric.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Tell me how playing Georgetown, St. Johns, Providence and Villanova is some drastic improvement over Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and Temple?

Tell me how downgrading football(and leaving the AAC for the MAC or an independent schedule would be a downgrade) will in any way improve UConn's chances of an invite to the best possible fit, membership in the ACC or B1G?

I have a feeling this is more of a hack job by someone with an ax to grind against UConn than anything concrete. Until there is an official announcement from the school don't believe this nonsense. It would be suicidal for the school to go that route.

Buddy,,,

You don’t get tired of being wrong.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

If it's real, as usual the UConn administration is doing an incompetent job of handling it. You don't announce you're leaving one conference for another unless and until the new landing spot is already confirmed, unless you're trying to play one conference off against the other to gain concessions. That can be a dangerous game. What's to prevent your present conference from voting you off the island? It doesn't seem very well thought out by the administrators, but then what else is new? Hiring Warde Manuel, Bob Diaco and Dave Benedict don't appear to have been well thought out decisions either.

Reaction Score
If it's real, as usual the UConn administration is doing an incompetent job of handling it. You don't announce you're leaving one conference for another unless and until the new landing spot is already confirmed, unless you're trying to play one conference off against the other to gain concessions. That can be a dangerous game. What's to prevent your present conference from voting you off the island? It doesn't seem very well thought out by the administrators, but then what else is new? Hiring Warde Manuel, Bob Diaco and Dave Benedict don't appear to have been well thought out decisions either.
They didn't announce it. In fact, they technically denied it this morning in a statement.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Did the MAC kick out UMass? Was it a Big East-Temple situation? I don’t follow these things as closely as most people on this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom