UConn to Bridgeport ? | The Boneyard

UConn to Bridgeport ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just my opinion folks. With all UConn has been through this season and to be where they are right now, they've earned Bridgeport. They've had to overcome so much. UConns resume suggests they are a 1 seed. You can argue it and thats fine but when you look at the stats they certainly could be a 1 seed. With that said I dont think that will happen. Ive read where you cant have two top teams in the same region. Well my thought is change things around and perhaps maybe some conferences should not have more then 5 teams in the tournament because of the problems its causing with seedings. Lets face it folks if you have a 500 record or loosing record in your conference you should not be in the NCAAs. UConn is the hottest team in WCBB right now and they are because they are finally healthy and not even up to speed yet. Think about that. We won last nite by 30 and Paige was/is not 100% yet. How good will UConn be when she gets back. We go with where we are now and now we are peaking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tony, there is no doubt in my mind that right now UConn is one of the top 4 teams in the country. But whether or not the Selection Committee will see it that way once they get through looking at SOS, NET, the price of tea in China and whatever else they consider, I just don’t know.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, NO WAY UConn is placed in Bridgeport. Any number one seed should not have to play the regionals in the home state of the number two seed. And the Committee would face charges of favoritism toward the 11-time champions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, NO WAY UConn is placed in Bridgeport. Any number one seed should not have to play the regionals in the home state of the number two seed. And the Committee would face charges of favoritism toward the 11-time champions.
Then make UCONN #1 seed in Bridgeport.
The Daily Show Reaction GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

In all seriousness I don't see a logical case for Baylor to be ranked ahead of UCONN as this point. SC, Stanford, NCSt and UCONN are your 4 #1 seeds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As others have commented, the scenario of a #2 in its home region vs a #1 has happened many times before. In 2019, #2 UConn beat #1 Louisville in the Elite 8 game in Albany, NY before a loud, pro-UConn crowd at the friendly confines of the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tony, there is no doubt in my mind that right now UConn is one of the top 4 teams in the country. But whether or not the Selection Committee will see it that way once they get through looking at SOS, NET, the price of tea in China and whatever else they consider, I just don’t know.
Good one OD........but true. :D Just think, we could get a 2 seed in Bridgeport, or a 3 seed out west. :confused:

Reaction Score
I think this happens every year almost. Didn't South Carolina, being the one seed a couple years ago, play on Stanford's (#2 seed) literal home court? Do you think the committee actually said behind closed doors, "Hope nobody thinks we showed favoritism to Stanford.." ? I can't imagine worrying they will show favoritism to any team is even a remote possibility.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion folks. With all UConn has been through this season and to be where they are right now, they've earned Bridgeport. They've had to overcome so much. UConns resume suggests they are a 1 seed. You can argue it and thats fine but when you look at the stats they certainly could be a 1 seed. With that said I dont think that will happen. Ive read where you cant have two top teams in the same region. Well my thought is change things around and perhaps maybe some conferences should not have more then 5 teams in the tournament because of the problems its causing with seedings. Lets face it folks if you have a 500 record or loosing record in your conference you should not be in the NCAAs. UConn is the hottest team in WCBB right now and they are because they are finally healthy and not even up to speed yet. Think about that. We won last nite by 30 and Paige was/is not 100% yet. How good will UConn be when she gets back. We go with where we are now and now we are peaking.
Tony, I’ll go further than that. I think UConn, right now is even better than they were last fall, if the team that smothered Villanova by 30 played South Carolina last Fall, South Carolina would not have won that game. Last Fall, Ducharme, Fudd, Dorka, and Edwards were not the same players they are now. I don’t think SC would have had an answer for all that extra firepower.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This scenario has happened many times before. It doesn't factor into the committee's decision making at all:

2004 and 2006 had UCONN getting homecourt advantage as a 2 seed until the final four.

2019 #1 seed Mississippi State had to play Oregon in Portland.

2014 #3 seed Louisville and #2 seed Stanford had home crowds until the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Tony, I’ll go further than that. I think UConn, right now is even better than they were last fall, if the team that smothered Villanova by 30 played South Carolina last Fall, South Carolina would not have won that game. Last Fall, Ducharme, Fudd, Dorka, and Edwards were not the same players they are now. I don’t think SC would have had an answer for all that extra firepower.
Add Evina to that list also. That was some performance in the fourth quarter last night.

Reaction Score
We are not the 9th -12th best team in the country. Therefore, we are a 2 seed at worst. NC State is a deserving 1 seed and an Eastern team for purposes of the NCAAs. We are an Eastern team also and that should also matter for seeding purposes. If they put UCONN in another bracket it's a "fooled you" to everyone from around here who bought tickets to Bridgeport. It's very easy to justify putting UCONN in Bridgeport and with 5 losses, with 3 to non top tier ranked teams at the time, I don't think we will be a 1 seed. The charge is to look at the "body of work" and that includes the early losses. I would be surprised if we aren't there.

Reaction Score
The info available to the committee is coming more and more into alignment. I suspect UCONN will be their #6 ranked team behind CoCar, Standford, NC St., Louis, and Baylor...and IF they follow the S curve, UCONN will land as the #2 rin Bridgeport... just like 2019 (KLS and Pheesa Senior Year).

Of course the committee will do what they do, and come up with what they do...but this is the scenario I see playing out..
GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
I agree, UConn today is better than they were when they last played SC, however, SC is better also, no one has beat SC that did not have phenomenal success shooting 3’s. Neither of the teams that beat SC were a better team, they just were better that game. Question is today‘s UConn better than today’s SC, I do not know but I think tomorrow’s UConn can beat Tomorrow’s SC if Paige can just be Paige again. GENO, GET PAIGE READY!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree, UConn today is better than they were when they last played SC, however, SC is better also, no one has beat SC that did not have phenomenal success shooting 3’s. Neither of the teams that beat SC were a better team, they just were better that game. Question is today‘s UConn better than today’s SC, I do not know but I think tomorrow’s UConn can beat Tomorrow’s SC if Paige can just be Paige again. GENO, GET PAIGE READY!
I think UConn is more dangerous because they don’t NEED Paige to be spectacular any more. If she is, it’s just icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
a number two seed in Bridgeport sounds about right to me but I assume one way or the other UConn is going to have to beat two of South Carolina, NC State, Louisville or Stanford eventually so if it's earlier than normal bring them on......

Reaction Score
I think UConn is more dangerous because they don’t NEED Paige to be spectacular any more. If she is, it’s just icing on the cake.
My take: UConn team chemistry is better today than ever, however UConn performance against really good teams has not been proven against the elite teams they will face in the Big Dance. When Paige was dominate UConn stumbled against SC and after the injury they loss to Oregon, Louisville and GT but that team lacked depth and chemistry, today’s team has depth and chemistry but Paige is not back to dominate Paige yet. That is why I believe UConn needs Paige to be NC. SC is an elite team and UConn will need the old Paige to win the NC.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The BE only gets 2 teams. Come on. Your kidding. Other conferences get 6-9 teams in some with loosing conference records. I completely and totally disagree. Those conferences arent that strong. If they were they may not have lost early in their conference tournaments. Big East deserves 4. I guess we wait for the NCAA to deliver the good news to some and the bad news to others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom