UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 42 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
More like we don’t add enough value to the right conference. B1G took Rutgers (and Maryland) not because they were athletic powerhouses. B1G member schools have large alumni presence in NYC and Maryland. Four corner schools don’t have near that presence. What’s B1G presence in New England?
I also think it is possible the B12 is posturing now to give the President’s /AD’s cover to go back to their donors and say, “Look, we were also skeptical at first, but the plan Brett shared and the future numbers presented to us were too great to ignore”. Let us see how this plays out.

Reaction Score
I also think it is possible the B12 is posturing now to give the President’s /AD’s cover to go back to their donors and say, “Look, we were also skeptical at first, but the plan Brett shared and the future numbers presented to us were too great to ignore”. Let us see how this plays out.

Why would they need to go back to their donors? Donors aren’t going to stop donating because they added UConn. They’ll get some big time basketball games for both men and women out of it and get exposure in a huge media market for their university. It’s an easy sell unless someone is doing a really bad job of it. Given how misinformed about us B12 podcasters are, that’s quite possible.

Reaction Score
If Yormark and Endeavor support UConn what reason is there to oppose?
"Why would bosses ever not listen to their employees?" is your question? Because they are arrogant and think they know better.

Reaction Score
It's not over until the fat lady sings. Just have to wait it out. Thank God we have the football season to distract us. If it doesn't happen, I hope we at least get an official statement that the discussions are over.

Reaction Score
Listened to the new locked on UConn video, a reporter who has been on top of this essentially thinks it’s not happening anytime soon if at all. Pretty much back in a holding pattern and put on the back burner to see how the settlement plays out. The votes just aren’t there yet. He could be wrong but he has sources so I wouldn’t doubt it

Reaction Score
You know what I meant dps. If I had said they are “exactly the other side of the Hudson River” that would’ve inferred walking or biking distance, which of course is not true.

I did KNOW what you MEANT. What you wrote, however, was dumb. Does it ever occur to you to own it when you write something dumb instead of attacking the person who points it out? It would be worth trying. Simply saying "my bad" and moving on takes care of it.

Reaction Score
I did KNOW what you MEANT. What you wrote, however, was dumb. Does it ever occur to you to own it when you write something dumb instead of attacking the person who points it out? It would be worth trying. Simply saying "my bad" and moving on takes care of it.
BIZ

Troll or guy who got cut from FB team?
My troll software still needs fine tuning.

Reaction Score
Listened to the new locked on UConn video, a reporter who has been on top of this essentially thinks it’s not happening anytime soon if at all. Pretty much back in a holding pattern and put on the back burner to see how the settlement plays out. The votes just aren’t there yet. He could be wrong but he has sources so I wouldn’t doubt it
How many times can we get jerked around like this? We keep winning national championships and everyone uses us and treats us like dirt, it's unbelievable.

Reaction Score
How many times can we get jerked around like this? We keep winning national championships and everyone uses us and treats us like dirt, it's unbelievable.

Like everyone has been saying. They won’t vote until they have enough.

We haven’t been told no. It’s still in the maybe column.

Let it get into basketball season and then everyone willl see. I’m telling you people get amnesia about basketball.

Realignment timing has always took place right before or at the beginning of football season. Which is a really bad time for us.

ESPN is now saying that they want to get into the regional sports space since that has collapsed, that could really work in our favor long term.

Reaction Score
UConn keeps getting dragged around by a narrative that's not in their control. Maybe we need to come up with a completely different way to approach the situation, so we control the narrative. What about a "Welcome to Wrexham" type documentary, with a bit of Ted Lasso and Hard Knocks thrown in, that tells the story of UConn's perpetual struggle to get back into a power conference and overcome the repeated nut kicks of realignment, and the incredulousness we've felt at our athletic accomplishments somehow not being enough to warrant inclusion? The tone could be both funny and cynical, but always with a lingering hope that somehow we break through. Maybe with some composite characters who can win over the audience, including characters who are diehard fans.

I don't know. I'm just spitballing here. We need to Notre Dame-ify the brand somehow, and transcend where we're at.

Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

-> Does Yormark have the votes?

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve.

Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

A reminder, it only takes five votes to nix the move. Additionally, Yormark is trying to steer this issue amid a new group of presidents who don't fully align on this topic. Expansion is always a hot-button issue. Yormark is trying to work his pitch while avoiding disagreement as the Big 12 debuts with 16 teams in the latest era of profound transformation in college athletics.

If Yormark doesn't have the votes, there probably won't be a vote. That's what the next few weeks about -- presidents sharing information with their ADs and administrators to come up with an institutional opinion. Ideally, any commissioner would want a unanimous vote to assure alignment in the conference. Even though the presidents have the vote on this issue, it would be advantageous for Yormark to have total alignment. That means president and athletic director across the Big 12 board agree to bring in UConn. <-

There is a lot more in the article. Strongly suggest a read before commenting.

ESLNKY03

ESLNKY
Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve. Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

A reminder, it only takes five votes to nix the move. Additionally, Yormark is trying to steer this issue amid a new group of presidents who don't fully align on this topic. Expansion is always a hot-button issue. Yormark is trying to work his pitch while avoiding disagreement as the Big 12 debuts with 16 teams in the latest era of profound transformation in college athletics.

If Yormark doesn't have the votes, there probably won't be a vote. That's what the next few weeks about -- presidents sharing information with their ADs and administrators to come up with an institutional opinion. Ideally, any commissioner would want a unanimous vote to assure alignment in the conference. Even though the presidents have the vote on this issue, it would be advantageous for Yormark to have total alignment. That means president and athletic director across the Big 12 board agree to bring in UConn. <-
Not quite as negative as other pieces this week

Reaction Score
I know people don't think this game against Maryland has any impact with the B12 decision makers. I disagree.
If we play a hell of a game win or lose it will definitely help shift the current narrative at least a little bit.
I'm sure most of the B12 presidents are expecting a lopsided score.
You know that Yormark will make sure the schools are aware of us playing a hard fought game if that happens.

Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve.

Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

There is a lot more in the article. Strongly suggest a read before commenting.

They must be thinking Hartford rather than Storrs.

I don't get why SOS is such a big deal. UConn may not play football in conference until 2031 and that is if certain metrics are met. Maybe UConn won't accept that late a start date. And if SOS is a concern, they can all go out and schedule tougher out of conference games. Basketball is a slam dunk. Just do it!!

"CBS Sports has reported that ESPN, which lost the Big Ten, would be in favor of the addition. UConn basketball would be a ratings winner, plus the Huskies' campus is only 14 miles away. ESPN began in 1979 showing the likes of local sports from Central Connecticut State just to get stuff on the air."

Reaction Score
where's KU going? that would be a huge blow for the bball fans but it's not something i'm worried about. they dont have good enough football or a big enough market for the BIG. they would be far behind UNC/Miami/UVA/ND...even Duke would get into BIG ahead of KU.
I'm not saying a Kanasa move is, sorry, imminent but it's not crazy for them to improve football a bit more and be coveted for basketball, decent football, and their AAU status by either the B1G and/or the SEC.

Reaction Score
I know people don't think this game against Maryland has any impact with the B12 decision makers. I disagree.
If we play a hell of a game win or lose it will definitely help shift the current narrative at least a little bit.
I'm sure most of the B12 presidents are expecting a lopsided score.
You know that Yormark will make sure the schools are aware of us playing a hard fought game if that happens.
Oh I think it could have a big impact which is why I wanted an invite before the Maryland game. If UConn plays a great game win or lose it will help them a lot. However, if they get destroyed the downside could be worse than the upside of them playing great to a win or a close loss.

Reaction Score
UConn keeps getting dragged around by a narrative that's not in their control. Maybe we need to come up with a completely different way to approach the situation, so we control the narrative. What about a "Welcome to Wrexham" type documentary, with a bit of Ted Lasso and Hard Knocks thrown in, that tells the story of UConn's perpetual struggle to get back into a power conference and overcome the repeated nut kicks of realignment, and the incredulousness we've felt at our athletic accomplishments somehow not being enough to warrant inclusion? The tone could be both funny and cynical, but always with a lingering hope that somehow we break through. Maybe with some composite characters who can win over the audience, including characters who are diehard fans.

I don't know. I'm just spitballing here. We need to Notre Dame-ify the brand somehow, and transcend where we're at.

Hard Knocks UConn. At least you are thinking.

Reaction Score
The timing of this 'leak' seems so odd. Why would the BIG 12 look at any conference realignment one week before College Football season starts? In a perfect world they would have met in April following Uconn's National Champioship- then have all summer to work out the details.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom