UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 44 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's still really just one season for Kansas football. Leipold seems like the right guy for them but outside of last year Kansas football has pretty much been a disaster since their historic 2007 season and the Orange Bowl win.
They were good two years ago too, until Daniels got hurt against TCU. Two years in a row he got hurt. 5-0 and ranked 19th coming into that game. Lost by 7 to the NC runner up.

K-State was even worse than KU has been before Snyder so Leipold may be the guy. The new stadium and facilities will help. My main worry is that he’d leave but he seems to like it there.

Reaction Score
If you have to lose to an FCS team, ND State would be the one. Dominant and better than quite a few FBS programs.
It’s a very good team. Maybe this year we’ll be of the caliber that we could beat them. We haven’t been at their level in many years. Colorado is going to be in trouble if NDSU scores a TD here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This appears to be heading to an SMU-style offer, where they will let us play a schedule if we do it for free. Actually it will be worse than SMU, because they won't let our football team play them at all until 2153 or whenever.

This round doesn't even have the energy needed to generate a real kick in the nuts.

Reaction Score
This appears to be heading to an SMU-style offer, where they will let us play a schedule if we do it for free. Actually it will be worse than SMU, because they won't let our football team play them at all until 2153 or whenever.

This round doesn't even have the energy needed to generate a real kick in the nuts.

I know you are exaggerating, but it does have that feel. I can see Big 12 people saying, “Why do we have to pay them? The ACC didn’t pay SMU“. The answer to that would be, “They’ll be the biggest brand name in the conference”.

This is a weird situation. You’ve got a commissioner and a network coveting a huge basketball brand and a handful of ADs/presidents wondering how UConn football will affect them in football perception when they themselves have no brand value in football or basketball. Meanwhile, the biggest show in B12 football is likely to lose to FCS NDSU tonight.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good sign there hasn't been a vote yet. The steaks are so high right now and UConn is out of their comfort zone. 16 sets of ADs and Presidents have to be learned about us. The Corner 4 probably need more time given they are from the PAC.

A good showing against Maryland would be a big plus. If UConn wins some will just say, "it was Maryland." UConn needs to show they belong on the same field.

I agree with others. I don't see how they would bring UConn along again only to vote note. Unless the Corner 4 are that stubborn.

Let's go Bison!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You’d have to wonder why Yormark would waste his time if he knew it wasn’t getting the votes? Why would the presidents waste time with the Endeavor presentation if it wasn’t gonna alleviate their concerns? Why waste UConns time, flying administrators and our AD to Dallas, if it was very unlikely to matter?

My only solution is putting pressure on ACC schools to find a way out of the GOR, but FSU has been working on that for a century with no success.

Reaction Score
If you have to lose to an FCS team, ND State would be the one. Dominant and better than quite a few FBS programs.
I realize that but The fact that the big12 is sticking its nose up at us while their highest profile football program is losing to a AA team is just too ironic and hypocritical

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My only solution is putting pressure on ACC schools to find a way out of the GOR, but FSU has been working on that for a century with no success.
In the hopes that their best couple programs defect to the P3 and we can merge with the leftovers? That’s the only way I see that working out.

Reaction Score
It’s a very good team. Maybe this year we’ll be of the caliber that we could beat them. We haven’t been at their level in many years. Colorado is going to be in trouble if NDSU scores a TD here.
Both NDSU and SDSU have very strong programs. Those kids are as tough as rocks.

Reaction Score
I realize that but The fact that the big12 is sticking its nose up at us while their highest profile football program is losing to a AA team is just too ironic and hypocritical.

Say what???

Reaction Score
Why does it need to be 60,000? Why not 45?
Because the long-term objective is to position UConn for an invite to the Big Ten. Forget the SEC, no cultural/geographic affinity with them. We will NEVER get an invite to an expanded Power2 conference from the small/Catholic school Big East. So our short-term goal is to prepare to be upgraded, and that will necessitate an increase in Rent capacity to 60,000 as an olive branch to the BiG as we enhance our football pedigree in the Big12.

Reaction Score
Different situation. We aren't competing against a different school for this spot we are competing against among other things the horrible image everyone has of our program. One way to change that image is to actually compete in these games and win the games you should if you want to get an invite.
Yormark will champion us to the schools any chance he can. We just have to weaponize him. .

It is different. We aren’t competing for a spot that already exists, we’re trying to create one.

Ville replaced MD so the ACC could stay at 14. We’re trying to get the Big 12 to go from 16 to 17.

So yeah, it’s different. It’s even more difficult now. But a win or loss Saturday isn’t going to move the needle.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately maybe a beautiful fairly new on campus stadium that holds 60,000+ compared to a smaller one 25 miles from campus did make a difference?
Unless you’ve got a hot tub, a delorean, or pym particles, i don’t know what your point is.

Reaction Score
You’d have to wonder why Yormark would waste his time if he knew it wasn’t getting the votes? Why would the presidents waste time with the Endeavor presentation if it wasn’t gonna alleviate their concerns? Why waste UConns time, flying administrators and our AD to Dallas, if it was very unlikely to matter?

Offer is not off the table yet

Reaction Score
It is different. We aren’t competing for a spot that already exists, we’re trying to create one.

Ville replaced MD so the ACC could stay at 14. We’re trying to get the Big 12 to go from 16 to 17.

So yeah, it’s different. It’s even more difficult now. But a win or loss Saturday isn’t going to move the needle.
It's also different in that the commissioner and the espn network are both interested in bringing us into the fold.
The big stumbling block to us getting in is our football programs incompetence over the past decade plus. Discussions are going on within the Big12 - even if nothing is imminent - and Id think getting off to a good start will help alleviate some of the concerns.
But we can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
What's he talking about? Watching the basketball team? Obviously, he didn't want to answer the question but he had to say something.
How is it not clear what he's saying?

Reaction Score
It's also different in that the commissioner and the espn network are both interested in bringing us into the fold.
The big stumbling block to us getting in is our football programs incompetence over the past decade plus. Discussions are going on within the Big12 - even if nothing is imminent - and Id think getting off to a good start will help alleviate some of the concerns.
That doesn't get erased with one game. If our performance as a member of the big east (after joining early) over a number of years hasn't been enough (to date), to alleviate concerns, I don't know what evidence we have that one game means anything. Happy to agree to disagree, but do you have any evidence for this opinion that it will alleviate some concerns?

I'm not saying we won't get an invite, win or lose.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know you are exaggerating, but it does have that feel. I can see Big 12 people saying, “Why do we have to pay them? The ACC didn’t pay SMU“. The answer to that would be, “They’ll be the biggest brand name in the conference”.

This is a weird situation. You’ve got a commissioner and a network coveting a huge basketball brand and a handful of ADs/presidents wondering how UConn football will affect them in football perception when they themselves have no brand value in football or basketball. Meanwhile, the biggest show in B12 football is likely to lose to FCS NDSU tonight.
They don't have any brand names in basketball? With Kansas and Arizona? Plus Houston and Baylor? Really? We wouldn't be the biggest brand name in the conference. The biggest football name in the Big XII, #12 Utah, won 49-0 last night. Colorado did pull out a win.

While "markets" don't matter the way they did in the old cable era, what we bring is exposure to a part of the country where the Big XII has very little visibility. If I'm pitching to the Presidents, I'd show them how many ACC schools succeeded in recruiting smart, wealthy New England/NY HS students since they added BC and Syracuse. That's the real pitch. Tri-state kids, plus RI/MA kids who follow UConn deciding to consider Colorado, Kansas, Arizona and Texas Tech when making college decisions. Why did the B1G really want Rutgers and Maryland? To recruit undergrads from those regions that will pay out of state fees and consider them cheap.

Reaction Score
How is it not clear what he's saying?
I didn't know what he was talking about. When he said he was still going to watch "them", I thought at first he was talking about the Big 12 baseball teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the football team was mediocre, there would be another reason. There is a cultural rift with New England in college football. UConn football was superior to Syracuse when it was in the big east, and at times superior to Louisville in performance.

Hell. Back in 2006 ucf and usf wish they were UConn. I remember when we started the series with ucf. UConn fans were upset to play a Mac school.

Truth of matter is once Burton was built there was a lack of investment in program…I don’t know why, politics, basketball people, but that is what happens. You have to continually invest or it atrophies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom