UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 41 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
If I'm a Big 12 President:

I'm fully confident in Brett Yormark's ability to dismantle the ACC. UConn basketball joining our conference is inevitable—it’s only a matter of time. We don’t need their football program. Just like Utah and ASU, UConn will eventually come over but for basketball only, even if reluctantly, because they’ll have no better options. And once Yormark sets his sights on absorbing prime Big East basketball targets, UConn will be right where we want them.
That’s a bizarre take

Reaction Score
I think realtors do that in general. Get more traffic and a quick offer, they get their 5% as quickly as possible. Lately it's been ridiculous though. Houses in the $500k - $600k range going for $100k over asking. Seems to be a big surge in CT right now.
Realtors don’t make markets. That’s ridiculous. If a Realtor genuinely gives away your house, you’re an idiot. The market bears what it bears. The value of a knowledgeable Realtor is to make it go smoothly, overcome obstacles ad scramble when the deal is in danger. A good agent knows how to do it and despite all the arrogance of the average public, it’s a learned skill. A very professional agent is worth every penny.

Reaction Score
Realtors don’t make markets. That’s ridiculous. If a Realtor genuinely gives away your house, you’re an idiot. The market bears what it bears. The value of a knowledgeable Realtor is to make it go smoothly, overcome obstacles ad scramble when the deal is in danger. A good agent knows how to do it and despite all the arrogance of the average public, it’s a learned skill. A very professional agent is worth every penny.
what are you talking about? I didn't say the realtors make the markets. I said they price the properties too low. Yes, a good agent is valuable especially in a bad market. But in a seller's market, realtors push paper. Start off with a low price based on historical comps, have an open house with 30 visitors, receive a ton of offers and accept the highest qualified offer. One of the most successful realtors I know touts the fact that her listings move within days. Because she most likely prices too low. It's not rocket science. You move the house quickly and everyone is happy.

Reaction Score
Unscrupulous devils haunt every business line including realtors. Being married to one of the best and honest realtors for decades, I've heard it all. The truth is these greedies represent a very small minority of realtors.

The current CT market is a boom for sellers. Selling prices continue to rise over list value in most of the state. Realtors have the not so simple task of valuing properties for their clients based highly on comps, not riskily predicting the future. That houses are being scooped up by buyers in panic in a low inventory market by paying well over list price is a growing phenomenon that complicates the comps. To think that realtors are pricing the properties too low is just one of your egregious comments on an industry of which you clearly need more information. Pushing paper? You degrade professionals. Pricing low to sell quickly? That bogus idea is perennial conspiracy bs. Yes, your realtor is correct that listings move within days but it's not because of low pricing, it's because of panicky buyers in a low inventory market.

The new laws protecting the buyer and seller only adds to realtors' difficulties. I'll be happy to share my insights privately but in short, my advice would be to stick with the larger firms or be diligent in acquiring legal and business knowledge before signing up with a small firm that has fewer guide rails. Same with selling on your own - be diligent.

Back to B12, there are some valid comparisons to the CT housing market. Properties (schools) are being scooped up to build a bigger complex (conference) for the buyer. Buyers are panicking to maintain or increase their relevance but in a queer twist, pricing is set not by the seller school but by a separate business entity, the media that provides the cash to fund their complexes to the point where they provide the media value in kind. The terms may be negotiable but the cost is whatever dilution each complex is willing to absorb to potentially increase future value.

Reaction Score
So what? Big 12 a better league.
I was just providing information. A poster said that the ACC made less than the B12…not understanding that the ACCN monies are in addition to the media contract payout table. I am all for having good information when discussing issues. I also, think that the Big 12 would be good fit for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
So the media reported that the B12 would be having a formal vote on UConn this week, an informational meeting happened Monday and the narrative was changed to "we are nowhere close to making a decision" and have heard nothing since

I have a feeling Yormark and the B12 know the vote isn't gonna be passed and are just gonna let it blow over. They wouldn't want to damage the reputation of the conference or Yormark's. It doesn't make sense how this major news just stopped receiving updates overnight

If I had to guess Fox could be the culprit. After all even if ESPN is willing to make us a neutral add it doesn't matter unless Fox is on board as well

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the media reported that the B12 would be having a formal vote on UConn this week, an informational meeting happened Monday and the narrative was changed to "we are nowhere close to making a decision" and have heard nothing since

I have a feeling Yormark and the B12 know the vote isn't gonna be passed and are just gonna let it blow over. They wouldn't want to damage the reputation of the conference or Yormark's. It doesn't make sense how this major news just stopped receiving updates overnight

If I had to guess Fox could be the culprit. After all even if ESPN is willing to make us a neutral add it doesn't matter unless Fox is on board as well
Wake Me When Its Over Nap Time GIF by Aurora Consulting

Reaction Score

It isn't Fox. It is the presidents of the football schools.

Reaction Score
So a lot of people are wondering about why the Big12 is contemplating UConn now as opposed to later/if-when the ACC implodes. Why might that be? Could it be:
1- ESPN is signaling that they will execute the ACC media deal before next Feb so Yormark wants to make his next move now, possibly because...
2- the Big12 needs UConn now to push a Big12 Network deal over the goal line?
3- and/or maybe Allstate wants a northeast presence before agreeing to a naming rights deal?

What else??
I forgot to include the potential of perhaps the Big12 worrying that Kansas could depart and we'd be a great back-fill of what Kansas brings to the conference.

Reaction Score

The leagues are not always getting the best advice from their media "partners". We've seen how this plays out for us. Looks like we'll be added to a conference. Things moving fast. Talking heads start feeding old narratives, basketball onlies follow their lead, media partners work behind the scenes to keep us on the cheap, and permission structure is granted to pass on a valuable property which could make the league better. The situation with the PAC teams seemed to be the opposite. But especially in the ACC we have some old regional rivals that are struggling and see us as a threat. They've effectively poisoned the decision making process and that league is falling behind. All this "vetting" seems ridiculous at this point. No one else has to do it. We bring a lot of value and it's not just one thing that contributes to the moving goalposts we face. At this point just try to win games and show up if you support football. The rest isn't making any more sense this time around than at any other.

Reaction Score
UConn is the most unique athletic institution in the country.

There is no reason that it shouldn’t be in a “power conference considering the athletic department profile.

People act like football is so bad that it can’t get better. Memphis and temple have had the worst football programs ever. Rutgers was awful at one time pre schiano. Ucf went 0-12 twice in the last 20 years.

Smu? They have not done anything meaningful since 1985.

But, because uconn has two exceptional programs — let’s not be shy. Women’s hoops is the standard and men’s hoops is in a dynastic run and a top 8 program all-time — there is resistance to anything football.

My thing is, when you look at athletic programs, UConn athletics is much more successful across the board than many power conferences teams. We can compete with Michigan in almost every sport except football

Don’t you think, athletically, UConn is superior to Rutgers as an athletic department?

Reaction Score

I haven't read any stories saying that a formal vote was going to take place this week. Dodd, Tramel, Norlander and Marchand all reported that the process was going to take weeks. They haven't written any stories to change that. If you have something else, let me know.

Of course, we all want the process to end. Either take a vote or let us know that it has ended.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm starting to think that it may be a bridge too far for the football schools to vote Yes.

Reaction Score
I forgot to include the potential of perhaps the Big12 worrying that Kansas could depart and we'd be a great back-fill of what Kansas brings to the conference.
where's KU going? that would be a huge blow for the bball fans but it's not something i'm worried about. they dont have good enough football or a big enough market for the BIG. they would be far behind UNC/Miami/UVA/ND...even Duke would get into BIG ahead of KU.

Reaction Score

There is no reason that it shouldn’t be in a “power conference considering the athletic department profile.

People act like football is so bad that it can’t get better. Memphis and temple have had the worst football programs ever. Rutgers was awful at one time pre schiano. Ucf went 0-12 twice in the last 20 years.

But, because uconn has two exceptional programs — let’s not be shy. Women’s hoops is the standard and men’s hoops is in a dynastic run and a top 8 program all-time — there is resistance to anything football.

My thing is, when you look at athletic programs, UConn athletics is much more successful across the board than many power conferences teams. We can compete with Michigan in almost every sport except football

Don’t you think, athletically, UConn is superior to Rutgers as an athletic department?
This is what causes BYers to scream at anything and anyone. It is so patently obvious(Sears Cuo?), how can people not see it??

Reaction Score
I haven't read any stories saying that a formal vote was going to take place this week. Dodd, Tramel, Norlander and Marchand all reported that the process was going to take weeks. They haven't written any stories to change that. If you have something else, let me know.

Of course, we all want the process to end. Either take a vote or let us know that it has ended.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm starting to think that it may be a bridge too far for the football schools to vote Yes.
I'm pretty sure the narrative last week was the vote would be happening this week. After Monday it was reported it would take weeks

Reaction Score
This is what causes BYers to scream at anything and anyone. It is so patently obvious(Sears Cuo?), how can people not see it??
Oops, disregard Sears Cup. Bad info on my part.

Reaction Score

This is a good reminder and provides good perspective as to where we are today in college athletics. Without question, UCONN can compete nationally on a level playing field (conference affiliation). That's already been proven, even in football. Ask a Syracuse fan what they thought of upstart UCONN in the Big East. We beat them like a drum.

That having been said, the world today is about unfair competition. Assuring that the marque programs and conferences retain an unfair advantage for both monetary gain and access to talent. This has absolutely nothing to do with athletic performance other than what that performance might mean with media contracts and at the gate.

We are in a professional sports model which allows for anti-competitive behavior and with nothing in the way of rules regarding compensation costs. I like business and I have been involved in very competitive industries. This is cut throat like i have never witnessed.

Academics......don't make me laugh. These athletic programs share a university name on their jersey. Outside of that this is completely divorsed from academics.

Reaction Score
I swore that Texas was two but I was mistaken.

Regardless that’s A LOT of extra travel time compared to what we do now is the main point. The closest teams to us would be some of the furthest in the current Big East.
Creighton, DePaul and Xavier aren’t exactly on the other side of the Hudson River, and I don’t think they play football unless it’s the club variety.

Reaction Score
If Yormark and Endeavor support UConn what reason is there to oppose?
One possible answer: we don’t add enough value or increase the chances of pealing off the right ACC schools to demand our inclusion presently. Feels like the last time (ie four corners). Let’s enjoy the present and no longer speak of the future. We will all be happier.

Reaction Score
One possible answer: we don’t add enough value or increase the chances of pealing off the right ACC schools to demand our inclusion presently. Feels like the last time (ie four corners). Let’s enjoy the present and no longer speak of the future. We will all be happier.
More like we don’t add enough value to the right conference. B1G took Rutgers (and Maryland) not because they were athletic powerhouses. B1G member schools have large alumni presence in NYC and Maryland. Four corner schools don’t have near that presence. What’s B1G presence in New England?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom