UConn to B1G expansion scenario | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn to B1G expansion scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I said, the ACC bubble against WVa burst when it invited Louisville.

Louisville is not WVU. Have you been to Morgantown? I have and words can not describe that place. And it sucks for travel as the nearest real airport is Pittsburgh. Many teams fly into Pittsburgh and then drive over an hour to Morgantown.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One caveat. Illinois is certainly more popular in Chicago than Rutgers is in NYC. There's a difference there.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. There is nobody in NY with the pull of Illinois or ND in Chicago. Nobody. I think we're saying the same thing (I posted before seeing yours update).

Reaction Score
Louisville is not WVU. Have you been to Morgantown? I have and words can not describe that place. And it sucks for travel as the nearest real airport is Pittsburgh. Many teams fly into Pittsburgh and then drive over an hour to Morgantown.

Eh, and it's 45 minutes driving from Bradley to Storrs as well, or how about Clemson? No big airports anywhere near. Or RDU to Wake Forest? An hour. Virginia Tech? Not exactly a big burg. For VT and Charlottesville and Pitt, Morgantown is just a drive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All states stop temporary tax abatements. It happens all the time. so what are you basing it on?

The tax exemption was permanent.

ESPN had a standard to meet for a permanent exemption and they met it.

I'm not sure the West Virginia blockade in the ACC isn't still there. If they had been on the tree when Maryland left, perhaps the chaos that invited UL would have resulted in WV being invited instead.

I think we're under the perception that these schools presidents know what they're doing. West Virginia was unacceptable to the ACC because of their academics - and probably because of the state's backwards reputation. But in the end, they wind up with Louisville which is probably every bit as lousy as school as WV and in a state that's just as backwards.

But I still think those North Carolinian presidents will never willingly associate themselves with West Virginia.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but am bemused with the dogged determination with which our shortcomings are served to us.

I think we should take up a collection and fly you to UConn for a weekend.

Someone should have been pointing out shortcomings to the powers-that-be years ago. More importantly, someone should have been listening. It's one thing for we, as fans, to think of UCONN as a "no-brainer." What %$# do we know? It's quite another for those managing the school to think the school's "laurels" allow rest. Every Business Plan ever written and every corporation's annual planning process identifies weaknesses and shortcomings. Weaknesses and shortcomings are always prevalent and no company or investor wants to discover them the hard way; like UCONN and we have.

Reaction Score
This really sucks because the ACC is the best place for UConn.

Yeah, it would be good to be in the Big12, but face it, it would suck to travel to play Iowa st and Kansas St and Baylor and Texas Tech (did I miss anyone?). I'm sure it would suck for them to travel to Storrs as well.

Unless B1G basketball collapses and bows down to the ACC (and Ollie wins a championship) I don't see the B1G as desperate enough to add Uconn.

Really, it's the damn ACC.

This AAC conference better ramp up its game in basketball quick.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The fact that NJ is split between the NYC and Philly DMAs is an anomaly, one that I suggest would not motivate a knowledgeable 'consumer' and I think we can be confident that Delaney has much more refined data than you or I have access to. What matters is total households and there RU delivers due to the population density in northern NJ. Again, I am confident that the analysis to invite RU to the B1G was based upon that level of detail. Connecticut brings both Fairfield county and the Hartford/New Haven DMAs.
dma-li.jpg

That is a lot of households. I sure that is basis of the Delaney's (supposed) review of the impact of Connecticut as a member institution. The DMA is an outdated concept based upon broadcast distances.

The information I listed regarding UConn's academic metric compared to existing AAU schools shows that UConn is already a 'comparable' institution. Now keep in mind, Frank that those numbers are before the new UConn Tech Park an $132 million dollar R&D facility designed for research in advanced manufacturing, materials, cyber-infrastructure, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, with another $40 million in advanced equipment approved by the legislature. It is also before the new Eminent Faculty Program which will add an additional 25 to 30 new faculty and staff members.

It is also before the GE Center of Excellence which is $.7 million dollar partnership that will feature:

$1.5M Professorships

$2.7M Graduate Fellowships

$3.3M Research Grants/Equipment

Advanced Man, Materials & Contacts

Composite Molding

Materials by Design

Magnetics, Arc Interruption & Thermal Performance

Materials Joining Process

Advanced Modeling for Thermal Management
...to be continued.
I had to stop early, but I'll finish now.

It was also before the State of Connecticut and JAX labs investment of $865 million and $1.1 billion, respectively, in new research and clinical facilities with and emphasis on new diagnostics, devices, & treatments for personalized medicine.

I could go on and talk about the Institute for Systems Genomics and the Institute for Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship but you get the idea. Those rankings above are before millions upon millions in new investment and UConn already are comparable to existing AAU members. What do you think will happen to those rankings after this investment in research facilities and top professors has a chance to take hold?

Frank you think you understand us, but I would suggest that you have no idea who we are. We went from being a regional power in basketball to being one of the two best over the last decade and a half. We became the dominant power in woman's basketball. We made the fastest accent to a BCS bowl that I can remember and won our conference twice in our first 10 years. Academically our assent has been meteoric.

When this university and this state sets their minds toward a goal, it happens. It just is that simple and we've seen it time and again. It sure seems like it is happening now regarding the decision to become a top research institution. It's not going to be easy. It will take time, but it certainly happen given the money being invested and the state support that we have.

You have a reoccurring theme that we weight ourselves too heavily. I am sure that you are correct, as I believe that true of pretty much everyone. I would say however that you rate us far, far too lightly. Time will tell who is correct.

Reaction Score
If 2 is true, then 1 doesn't matter, and if 1 doesn't matter, then it's easy to do, and if it's easy to do, it should be done, and it will help UConn.

I don't get this claim though that it's not going to happen. Based on what? All states stop temporary tax abatements. It happens all the time. so what are you basing it on?

As to1: see recent post above/below (somewhere, I ain't lookin) by someone (Fishy?) related to "renewals."
" " 2: see Disney "Annual Report." $15 million is couch cushion change.

Reaction Score
I had to stop early, but I'll finish now.

It was also before the State of Connecticut and JAX labs investment of $865 million and $1.1 billion, respectively, in new research and clinical facilities with and emphasis on new diagnostics, devices, & treatments for personalized medicine.

I could go on and talk about the Institute for Systems Genomics and the Institute for Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship but you get the idea. Those rankings above are before millions upon millions in new investment and UConn already are comparable to existing AAU members. What do you think will happen to those rankings after this investment in research facilities and top professors has a chance to take hold?

Frank you think you understand us, but I would suggest that you have no idea who we are. We went from being a regional power in basketball to being one of the two best over the last decade and a half. We became the dominant power in woman's basketball. We made the fastest accent to a BCS bowl that I can remember and won our conference twice in our first 10 years. Academically our assent has been meteoric.

When this university and this state sets their minds toward a goal, it happens. It just is that simple and we've seen it time and again. It sure seems like it is happening now regarding the decision to become a top research institution. It's not going to be easy. It will take time, but it certainly happen given the money being invested and the state support that we have.

You have a reoccurring theme that we weight ourselves too heavily. I am sure that you are correct, as I believe that true of pretty much everyone. I would say however that you rate us far, far too lightly. Time will tell who is correct.

CL82. This is great stuff. I'd feel a lot better if I knew this info was being made available to non-boneyarders (kidding but not by much).

Reaction Score
No beat writers for UConn, no beat writers for St. John's, no beat writers for Rutgers. A lot of college sports writers who do write a lot on UConn, StJ and Rutgers though. But I don't think you can compare. The NY Post sells to millions who have no interest in college sports. Also, you can't compare the Indianapolis Star to NY. Nor St. Louis. These are tiny cities by comparison.

UConn used to have 15 or more beat writers assigned to it a decade ago before the newspaper business died. They called them the "Horde." There are still several around, I forget how many. Maybe 7?

Dave Caldwell of The New York Times covers Rutgers exclusively for the paper. He covers other sports for the paper, but is assigned the Rutgers beat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82. This is great stuff. I'd feel a lot better if I knew this info was being made available to non-boneyarders (kidding but not by much).
Feel free to shop it around. I can source it for you if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom