UConn to B1G expansion scenario | The Boneyard

UConn to B1G expansion scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Based on Delany's comments yesterday about strengthening presence on east coast how about UConn (full member) and Navy (football only) to B1G? Could also be a scenario for ACC (replaces Maryland market sort of).

I ran it by McMurphy and he said: @McMurphyESPN: Nope. They want full members, not football only members

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
Nope, they want full members only. Navy would sort of be a duplicate market for the B1G with UMD anyway. At this point I can't wait to start playing real games already. If UConn ever gets the call I'll be ecstatic, but right now I can't even fathom these fantasy scenarios to be honest.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Pardon my Farsi, but who the hell is McMurphy, and how in Hades did HE become an expansion guru all of a sudden? Less than a year ago he was basically John Marinatto's lapdog, but now UConn fans are seeking out his advice on our school's future?

Bull-you-know-what.

Dude is just another cog in Bristol's PR machine now - they hired him to get as much inside scoop on the machinations of the Big East offices as they possibly could ahead of contract negotiations. He did his job very well, and Bristol reaped the benefits.

But the irony is, now they don't need him anymore. I will take great pleasure in watching slime-ball McMurphy gradually fade away at ESPN in the coming months, until either he leaves them or they can his ...

Reaction Score
This CR stuff has been beaten to death lately. I agree, let's just play (and win) some games.

Reaction Score
IMO, and I am not too popular here understandably here is your way into the B1G.

If the Big XII blew up, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma went to the SEC, and Texas would commit to the B1G and UConn by that time was AAU and your stadium was bigger, then it could be Texas and UConn or Kansas to the B1G. UConn slides into the East, and Texas into the West.

That is the best way for UConn into the B1G. I think you guys would bring more value to the B1G over Kansas. They are top 5 alltime in basketball, but you are top 10 which is close enough and bring more cable boxes to the B1G/BTN than Kansas would. Also, if your football continues decently it would be better than Kansas, but Kansas did have that Orange Bowl win 5 years ago.

I don't think Missouri to the B1G is possible now because of the SEC network, but if Mizzou went to the B1G then that is the only other way for UConn I can see and the SEC could easily swoop in and take West Virginia at a wimp to replace Mizzou IMO.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the B12 blew up, all it would result in is more teams vaulting over UConn for an invite.

UConn is a potential candidate for the B1G. It doesn't mean we are going, just that we are a fit under the right circumstances. AAU, desire to expand to 16, having a partner, and being better at FB.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Since this is the conference realignment board, I appreciate the efforts of guys out there foraging for information. McMurphy, love him or hate him, has a rolodex that allows him to throw out an informed opinion. It doesn't mean he is the end all and be all of realignment, but there is heft behind his words.

Line them up and play sounds great. The thought of bleeding red ink for a decade doesn't. The Cincinnati Inquirer has been running a series of articles about Cincy's efforts to get itself out of the AAC. With UConn, our plight exists in the boneyard.

I am excited about the upcoming season, and can't wait to see Whitmer's adjustments, the new offensive scheme, the new guys on defense, etc. However, it is hard to convince oneself that just playing games and winning solve all of our problems. Rutgers and Boise State are testaments to that.

Reaction Score
What I am posting is my opinion, mixed with some stuff I have been told(the Cincinnati/WVU stuff)

From everything I have heard pertaining to the ACC. UConn is perceived better than Cincinnati even with all the spin that has come out of the Cincinnati papers. I know your fanbase doesn't care for the ACC right now, but if Notre Dame eventually committed to the ACC(after their NBC contract expires) it is likely UConn would be the 16th team. I don't believe Penn State will leave the B1G, West Virginia's Armageddon against the ACC waged by its internet fans has impacted their standing, and Cincinnati doesn't have as much strength within the ACC as their PR campaign would leave you to believe. Thus, the ACC would likely to turn to UConn, but if the B1G comes in and swoops you guys before Notre Dame fully commits to the ACC then obviously you would be very happy to be in the B1G.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
We aren't picky. We are confident we will do well no matter where we end up because we always have.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there is no compelling reason for the B1G to take us.

1) They are happy at 14 for now
2) We are not AAU
3) We do not have a partner

I believe Delany has vetted UConn and I believe he is interested because we tick a lot of boxes. I also believe that Delany's "future" comments are directed towards UConn. I also think Aresco has not mentioned UConn specifically because there is something in the works. What that might be is beyond me but I would think the Commish of a conference would be pimping the flagship school unless he feels compelled not to do so. Maybe there are promises...maybe there are "strong considerations"... who knows but Aresco isn't talking about UConn for a reason.

I think if we want in the B1G we have to acheive AAU first and then a partner must emerge and then we'll be considered.

Until then we have to hope the ACC decides to go to 16 for all sports (15 FB) which is a longshot

or

The Big 12 moves off of 10 and invites us and Cincy for 12 or two more schools for 14

or

The Pac moves on Texas + and what ever is left of the Big 12 merges with the top tier of the American

Any of the above three scenarios could force the B1G to move quicker on UConn but only if UConn is on a definite road to AAU membership.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What I am posting is my opinion, mixed with some stuff I have been told(the Cincinnati/WVU stuff)

From everything I have heard pertaining to the ACC. UConn is perceived better than Cincinnati even with all the spin that has come out of the Cincinnati papers. I know your fanbase doesn't care for the ACC right now, but if Notre Dame eventually committed to the ACC(after their NBC contract expires) it is likely UConn would be the 16th team. I don't believe Penn State will leave the B1G, West Virginia's Armageddon against the ACC waged by its internet fans has impacted their standing, and Cincinnati doesn't have as much strength within the ACC as their PR campaign would leave you to believe. Thus, the ACC would likely to turn to UConn, but if the B1G comes in and swoops you guys before Notre Dame fully commits to the ACC then obviously you would be very happy to be in the B1G.

I'd be holding my nose but I'd accept an ACC invite in heartbeat. The B1G would be heaven but UConn and the ACC would be a very good fit.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
The ND NBC contract has been extended so I don't see ND joining ACC fulltime until 2025 if ever.

UConn has a better shot at B1G at this point but without a viable partner (and AAU) has no shot really.

However, I can see a scenario where there is real B1G interest in UConn and ACC preemptively strikes and adds UConn to keep B1G from gaining further market share in NYC and New England. Especially if ACC network gets off the ground. Then we become more valuable.

Reaction Score
Why in the world anyone thinks ND will ever commit to the ACC is beyond me. They are getting everything they want out of the ACC without having to comitt. NBC is never going to nonrenew that contract and the ACC will never be worth more than what NBC pays them. If UConn's best option to get in the ACC is tied to ND we have a better chance of joining the Pac 12. I don't ever see UConn in the ACC at this point. I think they would add Temple before Uconn.

I have become pretty pessimistic at this point. I think the only reasonable way UConn to B1G occurs in the foreseeable future is:

1) the B1G has scheduling issues with 14 teams
2) The SEC remains a conference with no GOR or exit fee
3) Mizzou shows renewed interst in the B1G
4) B1G takes Mizzou and adds UConn as 16.

Reaction Score
When Delany made this the comment the other day, McMurphy tweeted this:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 15 May
Missouri on line 1? RT @ESPN_BigTen: Delany asked if expansion is dead. "Dead is a strong word."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

If AAU is really an intractable impediment to getting a Big Ten invite, then it will be at least 5 years, and more like 10 years, before UConn meets the criteria for AAU.

Reaction Score
The ND NBC contract has been extended so I don't see ND joining ACC fulltime until 2025 if ever.

UConn has a better shot at B1G at this point but without a viable partner (and AAU) has no shot really.

However, I can see a scenario where there is real B1G interest in UConn and ACC preemptively strikes and adds UConn to keep B1G from gaining further market share in NYC and New England. Especially if ACC network gets off the ground. Then we become more valuable.
I think its safe to say that the NBC-Notre Dame contract has opt-out provisions at ND's request, but its doubtful would want to exercise them. Notre Dame has basically given the ACC its verbal, I don't think they are going to join in the next or two years, but with playing 5 ACC games a year that is setting a foundation for the ND fanbase to get used to playing ACC schools. Notre Dame's AD said yesterday they were dumping Michigan for flexibility on their schedule as they didn't want to lose Navy, Stanford, and USC from its yearly schedule. ND has to play 6 home games, 1 shamrock game, 5 road games minimum a year. With 5 ACC, USC, Stanford, Navy mixed in with Michigan State, Purdue 4 times in 6 years ND had no flexibility. Once the ACC network starts rolling a couple of year down the line I expect ND will become a 15th football member. Maybe they will up their commitment from 5 to 6 during this process. Notre Dame has always maintained Independence while sucking on the Big East for everything else, but now they are quasi-Independent. The ACC controls 5 of ND's 12 annual football games. While ND is with NBC currently and through 2025 I don't think its unreasonable to assume ND could opt or let this contract expire and move fully onto the ACC after then.

I realize that is a wait for UConn, but if ND committed sooner to full football membership I would assume the ACC would add the 16th team beforehand and either give them the ND deal as a transition until ND came aboard or just concocted a short fix with 15 members till ND's inclusion. What I am saying is that I have it on good authority than UConn is above Cincinnati and that WVU wouldn't be considered and that Penn State is an ACC pipe dream when the ACC goes to 16. The B1G could snatch you guys before that, but that is what I meant.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I think the only reasonable way UConn to B1G occurs in the foreseeable future is:

1) the B1G has scheduling issues with 14 teams
2) The SEC remains a conference with no GOR or exit fee
3) Mizzou shows renewed interst in the B1G
4) B1G takes Mizzou and adds UConn as 16.
I fully think that we are ahead of Mizzou on B1G list. I think Delany has been in touch with Herbst and there is mild interest. Biggest issue at this point is lack of partner (AAU is secondary) but if Mizzou rekindled their lust for B1G then game on.

My thought on Navy was out of the box and they bring national appeal. They are the only viable team available not locked into GOR that adds value.

Reaction Score
ND wants to be independent forever. That much is obvious. More money will not sway them--if it did, they'd be in the B1G already.

The only factor that might convince them is if the new conferences squeezed them out of the postseason. Not all at once. But squeeze them out slowly--turn the vice on them in a slow torture until they scream.

The problem of course is that the conferences would have to conspire to do this together, and you can bet that won't happen.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
ND wants to be independent forever. That much is obvious. More money will not sway them--if it did, they'd be in the B1G already.

The only factor that might convince them is if the new conferences squeezed them out of the postseason. Not all at once. But squeeze them out slowly--turn the vice on them in a slow torture until they scream.

The problem of course is that the conferences would have to conspire to do this together, and you can bet that won't happen.

Exactly. Access to the playoff is the only thing that would make them join. If the committee starts picking 1-2 loss conference champions over 1-2 loss ND, that might do it. But, they'd push for a bigger playoff first and probably get it.

IoW, it's not happening as long as they field competitive teams.

Reaction Score

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130512/SPT0101/305120023/ACC-proved-out-UC-s-league

"Although no vote was taken that would have determined whether UC or Connecticut was next in line, the official said it was clear from the tone of the discussions that Connecticut was viewed more favorably than UC."

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Delany made this the comment the other day, McMurphy tweeted this:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 15 May
Missouri on line 1? RT @ESPN_BigTen: Delany asked if expansion is dead. "Dead is a strong word."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

If AAU is really an intractable impediment to getting a Big Ten invite, then it will be at least 5 years, and more like 10 years, before UConn meets the criteria for AAU.
Maybe not link (courtesy of Carl)

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member