UCONN to ACC? | The Boneyard

UCONN to ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Golberg post on Facebook: "A little birdie -- but not Birdie -- tells me UConn to ACC could happen as early as tomorrow. It had to happen. The countdown clock has been ticking since 2003. But I will really miss the good ol' days Louie's terrible sweaters, Ray's basket and "blocked by Waltah Berry!"

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel tweeted ACC is in no hurry to replace Maryland. Not sure if any1 knows what is going to happen right now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hate the ACC, but it seems like the best deal for UCONN.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I like the ACC because then I can see UCONN in Atlanta occasionally! :D
The ACC tourney ought to be in Atlanta, at least periodically. Great recruiting tool that would benefit all the schools.

Reaction Score
The ACC tourney ought to be in Atlanta, at least periodically. Great recruiting tool that would benefit all the schools.

Atlanta has hosted a lot of ACC Tourneys...hoping...!

Reaction Score
I am not at all confident that this will happen. I hope it does, I really do because women's basketball aside, UConn football and other sports might slide into irrelevancy (even more so than the fans of some teams already believe). I hate that football drives the bus, but it does. We can either get on to the Venga bus and party with the in crowd, or stay in a fried out combie and stay home and wash our hair on Saturday nights.

We are at the bus stop....which will pick us up?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The reason I think this has a decent chance of happening is that there simply aren't many valuable athletic properties left for the ACC to grab. They were at 12, added Pitt and Cuse, and then added ND for all sports other than FB. Now they're back down to 14, basically. Adding Uconn and Louisville might be their best play, though I've always been inclined to believe Louisville will ultimately find its way to the Big XII when all is said and done.

But other than Louisville, there simply is no one else to add. Add Uconn, and all of a sudden the ACC is the best basketball conference, both men's and women's, basically ever. Uconn, Cuse, Duke, and UNC have won eight of the last 13 NCs, and a number of the other programs consistently produce good teams and good NBA players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WOW...the ACC would be an absolute battleground for women's basketball, especially with all of the talent that Duke and UNC are bringing in.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The death of the Big East?
Pretty much. It's been in critical condition since Miami, VA Tech and BC left then on life support after it lost WVU, SU and Pitt.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Pretty much. It's been in critical condition since Miami, VA Tech and BC left then on life support after it lost WVU, SU and Pitt.
Way to go, college football!

Reaction Score
Am I the only one unhappy to hear this and really wish we would stick with the Big East and be a leader saying "We're not going" rather than doing the same thing we jumped over other schools for doing... When the first three schools went to the ACC we made our displeasure well know. Dickie boy even sued the ACC and the three schools. Then when the most recent set said goodbye... what were our comments towards the orange? Then Notre Dame....

Now all of a sudden the ACC says "Hi there is room at the table" and we go running? Weren't they the bullyings in the Cafe that stole our lunch money? Wheren't they the ones who stole our homework and copied it? Weren't they the ones who misbehaved during lunch or for a sub and made us all suffer?????? Now they say hey we have an opening and everyone like... "Cool... we get to be part of the IN crowd." We get to be the same people we were complaining about not oo long ago?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one unhappy to hear this and really wish we would stick with the Big East and be a leader saying "We're not going" rather than doing the same thing we jumped over other schools for doing... When the first three schools went to the ACC we made our displeasure well know. Dickie boy even sued the ACC and the three schools. Then when the most recent set said goodbye... what were our comments towards the orange? Then Notre Dame....

Now all of a sudden the ACC says "Hi there is room at the table" and we go running? Weren't they the bullyings in the Cafe that stole our lunch money? Wheren't they the ones who stole our homework and copied it? Weren't they the ones who misbehaved during lunch or for a sub and made us all suffer?????? Now they say hey we have an opening and everyone like... "Cool... we get to be part of the IN crowd." We get to be the same people we were complaining about not oo long ago?

So you're proposing that we fall on our sword and get killed in the arms race?

Reaction Score

Although spot on in terms of sentiment, if UConn stays in the Big East, its importance in college athletics will vanish. Football (and basketball) will become irrelevant playing Temple, Memphis, UCF, Houston and SMU on a steady basis. While it makes UConn hypocritical, a jump to the ACC (unless the Big 10 comes calling) is about the only way to tenuously preserve the vitality of the athletic department.

U

UCONNfan1

If the ACC asks, UCONN will give it about a nanosecond of thought before saying "Hell Yes". As it should be. The big east is so dead that not even Jesus could perform a miracle and resurrect it.

I think the ACC decides between UCONN and L'ville. Hopefully they choose UCONN. Eventually, all that will be left in the BE are the Catholic hoops-only schools, and whatever other vagabonds they were able to add and retain (Boise State? SDSU? Memphis, Houston, UCF?).

The big east was so shortsighted when all this came to pass years back that I won't be sad to see it disband completely. The football only schools should have tried to flex their muscles for the future of the league based on football, not based on hoops. It led to their demise. Oh well. As long as UCONN lands in one of the super conferences I'll be happy.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Am I the only one unhappy to hear this and really wish we would stick with the Big East and be a leader saying "We're not going"
Pretty much. Pride may make a person feel good, but it doesn't create any sort of sports conference that isn't basically a joke and it certainly doesn't pay the bills. Besides, the original Big East teams left behind don't play football and UConn wants to play football.

Reaction Score
To reject the ACC is it comes calling is to live in the land of would'a, could'a, should'a. Back a year ago, I thought it was scandalous that UConn would consider leaving the Big East. Then the defections began and the league because less of a factor, at least in my mind.

I'm being selfish here. I am a fan of women's basketball and wish the men no harm, but don't really care about the rest. My fear, scoffed at by some here, is that UConn would become an outstanding team among an entire league of mediocre teams. LaTech came to mind, and ODU in the days when ODU was ODU. Other suggested that the UConn brand would always be a top draw, because players would want to learn from Geno and be a part of the great tradition. Well, I get all that, but it occurs to me that the great teams in mediocre leagues eventually go away. LaTech, for example, is no longer a national team, nor is ODU.

Even granted that UConn is at a whole different level, if it stays in the BE, it would have to become to women's basketball what Notre Dame is to football. While it might be cool to, in effect, go it alone, I submit that a more sensible approach would be to be a part of a major league where our players would be tested against many different really good teams, season in and season out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Big East is becoming the Big Least and the Huskies will be a big fish in a small pond. Time to get while the gettings good!
Actually, four half a decade it has been the Big Feast. It is now quickly becoming as relevant as the Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
Actually, four half a decade it has been the Big Feast. It is now quickly becoming as relevant as the Yankee Conference.

WOW! There is someone else on the forum that remembers the Yankee Conference!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

The Big East was the in crowd in many ways, but no longer. Not much left to compete with.

IOW, if you are in a hole, stop digging, and get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom