UCONN to ACC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN to ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Could not disagree more because it ignores all the realities. Nice sentiment but has nothing to do with the present reality.

There's a "moneyball" issue here that seems to be flying under the radar, unnoticed and under appreciated. The emphasis seems to be placed more on the colleges in a conference and less on the area served by the conference.

In my opinion, the area served is just as important as conference membership.

I feel certain that Miami versus Boston College was a much bigger game when both were in the BE than it is now that they're in the ACC.

The northeast megalopolis has no affinity for the ACC and is not enthrall with Tobacco Road.

Whoever remains in the BE, and I hope UCONN will be among them will have the opportunity to monopolize the collegiate sporting interest of the single largest market in the country.

I'm sorry Syracuse, Pitt and now Rutgers failed to grasp this. I do hope UCONN will stop coveting other conferences and focus on leading the BE.

Even if it brings in what you consider jr high level members, those will be elevated by virtue of being in the BE. come to think of it, that is what happened to UCONN in the first place.

Only the BE is centered in the northeast corridor. That is a huge advantage over all other conferences.

Thus sprach Zarathustra... :-D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The last opportunity to say no to a conference invite came and went with Syracuse and Pitt going to the ACC. I wish we could spin the clock back and have the old Big East but it's gone. That's a sad, but inescapable fact. The scarey part is that though the ACC is more stable than the Big East, it is also very vulnerable. We will be dealing with conference realignment for the foreseeable future.

Kudos to Rutgers. Their athletics just gave their academics a huge boost with the move to the Big 10 and access to the CIC.

Reaction Score
CL82 has it exactly right. Those who think UConn is better off in the Big East are living in the 1980s. I'm convinced that without a strong conference, UConn women's basketball, as powerful as it is, will gradually lose relevance. For women's basketball as much as for any other sport -- and for the prestige of being in a conference that is actually living and breathing -- UConn needs the ACC. Think about it: If Louisville leaves -- because one way or the other, the ACC will grab Louisville or UConn -- and if Boise State and San Diego return to their old conference, as rumors say they want to do, what's the Big East to do? Who's next? UMass? URI? The poster who talked about the reversion to the Yankee Conference was not kidding.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have heard that Louisville would come in with UCONN. I have also heard rumors that Coach K let it be known that if there is no ACC he would retire. My wife said she heard that last night on their local news, weather, and sports. Down here they call it the big 4 Tobacco Road bball.... UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. It's huge !

I have no idea if Coach K said those statements, but it WOULD be huge for the ACC to get UCONN & Louisville.
GO UCONN GO !
That would only encourage ACC teams to leave!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We gotta get outta the BE, and FAST. We need to think first and foremost about WCBB, and in the ACC we'll play a roster of teams that will make our season exciting. There will not be one good game in our entire conference, not one (that is counting teams that are leaving). We are sunk unless we move, seriously. We can't make a season every year out of 14 cupcakes and the teams we play outside the conference. Winning by 40 is great, but game in game out?

Reaction Score
There's a "moneyball" issue here that seems to be flying under the radar, unnoticed and under appreciated. The emphasis seems to be placed more on the colleges in a conference and less on the area served by the conference.

In my opinion, the area served is just as important as conference membership.

I feel certain that Miami versus Boston College was a much bigger game when both were in the BE than it is now that they're in the ACC.

The northeast megalopolis has no affinity for the ACC and is not enthrall with Tobacco Road.

Whoever remains in the BE, and I hope UCONN will be among them will have the opportunity to monopolize the collegiate sporting interest of the single largest market in the country.

I'm sorry Syracuse, Pitt and now Rutgers failed to grasp this. I do hope UCONN will stop coveting other conferences and focus on leading the BE.

Even if it brings in what you consider jr high level members, those will be elevated by virtue of being in the BE. come to think of it, that is what happened to UCONN in the first place.

Only the BE is centered in the northeast corridor. That is a huge advantage over all other conferences.

Thus sprach Zarathustra... :-D

Am I missing something? Didn't the Big East try and capture the northeast and failed miserably?

And are northeasterners going to identify more with UConn simply because it competes in a conference called the Big East?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I listened to someone on Big East radio last night on the trip to the airport. I don't know who it was, but he was really ripping into the Big Ten decision to invite MD and RU. I agree with one point he made, that the claim it has anything to do with academics is a sham, but I thought it was interesting that someone from ESPN would be ripping them a new one, when the whole thing is media driven so ESPN is part of the cause..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The BE failed for one big reason - basketball onlys versus total athletic programs that wanted big time football. The two camps were not compatible in the long run, different agendas.

The second flaw was poor leadership. Allowing ND in for everything except football was a mistake. Of course the ACC has made the same mistake.

The BE is on its death bed. We need to find a home, be it the ACC or the BiG. Reality says the ACC. We need a competitive conference.

And I do not believe that FSU or Clemson are going to leaving the ACC.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Nice post. I think I agree, but I'm still kinda new to golf terms:
...Right now the Big East is not only in sandtrap, Sandtraps = trouble. Got that one.
... it is about 12 inches down. So, deeper trouble. Got it.
...Gotta know when to fold em. You're saying sometimes its prudent with a sand wedge? They just laughed when I did it to a putter, and it hurt my knee.

...Unplayable lie. Yeah, I'm already totally into this aspect of the game! Appreciate now it must sound plausable when lying about my score. With you there, all the way.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'll miss all the historic BEast rivalries and epic bball games played by both the Men and Women. But the BEast is going the way of the old Yankee Conference and the ACC offers UConn the ideal parachute.

Let's get this deal done and go kick some butt down on Tobacco Road. Someone should've told ND..."you can run, but you can't hide". ;)

One of my daughters in law is a Dukie. Would be fun. I agree that this is all distasteful and that the BE hoops conference, especially on the male side was a great conference. But that isn't the future, it seems. If this has to be, I'd much rather see UConn in the ACC than the Big 1G. It makes more geographical sense and that is where some of our more intense BE rivals are headed. Throw in Duke and UNC and that is great on the basketball side. FB, still not a spectacular group overall, at least not at the moment, but one we probably can compete in reasonably well. Anyway, que sera, sera.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
One of my daughters in law is a Dukie. Would be fun. I agree that this is all distasteful and that the BE hoops conference, especially on the male side was a great conference. But that isn't the future, it seems. If this has to be, I'd much rather see UConn in the ACC than the Big 1G. It makes more geographical sense and that is where some of our more intense BE rivals are headed. Throw in Duke and UNC and that is great on the basketball side. FB, still not a spectacular group overall, at least not at the moment, but one we probably can compete in reasonably well. Anyway, que sera, sera.

Doris Dayed

Reaction Score
Nice post. I think I agree, but I'm still kinda new to golf terms:
Oh, that was golf? I thought it was about gardening; and all that talk about sandwedges is making me hungry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom