UCONN to ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Front page headline on the NH Register today, "Next Stop, ACC?"

Reaction Score
My fear, scoffed at by some here, is that UConn would become an outstanding team among an entire league of mediocre teams. LaTech came to mind, and ODU in the days when ODU was ODU. Other suggested that the UConn brand would always be a top draw, because players would want to learn from Geno and be a part of the great tradition. Well, I get all that, but it occurs to me that the great teams in mediocre leagues eventually go away. LaTech, for example, is no longer a national team, nor is ODU.

exactly

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not sure even Geno could sell a #1 recruit on the 'benefits' of playing the likes of Temple, Memphis, UCF, Houston, SMU, Seton Hall, Providence, etc.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'll miss all the historic BEast rivalries and epic bball games played by both the Men and Women. But the BEast is going the way of the old Yankee Conference and the ACC offers UConn the ideal parachute.

Let's get this deal done and go kick some butt down on Tobacco Road. Someone should've told ND..."you can run, but you can't hide". ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am just concerned that after the dust has settled, the Western Teams reconsider as has been reported today, somehow, we will be left holding the bag.

I'm just a worrier sometimes.

Reaction Score
My $0.02: uconn should stay in the BE.

The anchoring factor is the NYC megalopolis. The ACC does not have that anchor and never will. The northeast is, by far, a better hub, offering the largest "market" and the most knowledgeable fan base.

Miami, Boston college, Syracuse et al have extricated themselves from the NYC hub; and, frankly, I think they've gotten lost in the shuffle. Who cares when they play Clempsen or Fessu or Joe ja tek? Who notices when they go up against wake?

Answer: no one in NY, few in Philly, not many in Bean town.

Uconn, please don't take the bait. The ACC is not better than the BE.

Furthermore, Uconn, as a university, should first work on getting its academic rating elevated, thus elevating the BE as well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

The anchoring factor is the NYC megalopolis. The ACC does not have that anchor and never will. The northeast is, by far, a better hub, offering the largest "market" and the most knowledgeable fan base.

Miami, Boston college, Syracuse et al have extricated themselves from the NYC hub; and, frankly, I think they've gotten lost in the shuffle. Who cares when they play Clempsen or Fessu or Joe ja tek? Who notices when they go up against wake?

Furthermore, Uconn, as a university, should first work on getting its academic rating elevated, thus elevating the BE as well.

That's great idea if you want them stuck in an excellent Jr. High league and to see all UCONN teams deteriorate in relevance and talent.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is sounding like it will come down to UCONN or L'ville for the ACC. I would think UCONN would have the edge in academics, but L'ville has a better football program. We will see. Maybe we will get lucky and another team will leave the ACC and both can go...

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
If Louisville, doesn't go ACC, I think they will be team #15 in the Big Ten with Cincinnati being #16.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You got to play it as it lays. Right now the Big East is not only in sandtrap, it is about 12 inches down. Unplayable lie. Gotta know when to fold em.

Reaction Score
I have heard that Louisville would come in with UCONN. I have also heard rumors that Coach K let it be known that if there is no ACC he would retire. My wife said she heard that last night on their local news, weather, and sports. Down here they call it the big 4 Tobacco Road bball.... UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. It's huge !

I have no idea if Coach K said those statements, but it WOULD be huge for the ACC to get UCONN & Louisville.
GO UCONN GO !

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
If Louisville, doesn't go ACC, I think they will be team #15 in the Big Ten with Cincinnati being #16.
Not likely. Delaney is a NC alum. He has his eyes set on luring the Tarheels away from the ACC with Ga Tech being the other term. This isn't short-term plan but long-term. Think in terms of years, not weeks or months. May not happen. But that's the reported plan.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
LesMis, you could be absolutely right. With the lack of regional conferences, nothing would surprise me.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would love to see this. It would be the premiere basketball program in the country, men's and women's. Plus, I would like to see UConn put a beating on UNC every year.

Reaction Score
I would love to see this. It would be the premiere basketball program in the country, men's and women's. Plus, I would like to see UConn put a beating on UNC every year.
They put a few good beatings into UNC!!!

Reaction Score

This is a really interesting post. UConn, like every academic institution, should get its academic house in order. That really has nothing to do with what conference its teams play in. As for the conference, if you're a women's college basketball fan, you've got to think that New York doesn't care much about your sport, much like Boston and a number of "great sports towns" I could mention. Women's BB just is not relevant. Unless you think Rutgers and its fan base is in New York. I'll grant you some passion there, but Piscataway? Really? And what else is there in NYC? St. John's? Great men's tradition, building a women's tradition. But a long way from a rapidly growing base of fan support.

Some of what you said may be true for men's BB and certainly for Football, but not women's BB.

Reaction Score
This is a really interesting post. UConn, like every academic institution, should get its academic house in order. That really has nothing to do with what conference its teams play in. As for the conference, if you're a women's college basketball fan, you've got to think that New York doesn't care much about your sport, much like Boston and a number of "great sports towns" I could mention. Women's BB just is not relevant. Unless you think Rutgers and its fan base is in New York. I'll grant you some passion there, but Piscataway? Really? And what else is there in NYC? St. John's? Great men's tradition, building a women's tradition. But a long way from a rapidly growing base of fan support.

Some of what you said may be true for men's BB and certainly for Football, but not women's BB.
Joining the ACC would be fantastic for us UCONN Women basketball fans in North Carolina/Virginia. I certainly hope it's true!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Leaving the Big East has nothing to do with women's basketball or even men's basketball. It has to do with TV $$$ and the metro NY audience drawn primarily to football and (secondarily) men's basketball.

The bigger the potential audience, the more $$$ a conference TV program can attract. The Big 10 is betting on Rutgers attracting a large metro NY audience to Big 10 games weekly. That brings sponsor $$$ as well as leads potential recruits to the Big 10.

Given the SEC's position on national TV and the potential for Big 10 TV out-audiencing ACC TV football contests in the metro NY area, the ACC needs a football program with NY connections to attract a reasonable audience so they can get a lucrative TV contract for the $$$. And to attract recruits to ACC schools.

Louisville brings a very qualified football program to the table. but not metro NY. UConn can bring a metro NY audience.

Reaction Score
That's great idea if you want them stuck in an excellent Jr. High league and to see all UCONN teams deteriorate in relevance and talent.

There's a "moneyball" issue here that seems to be flying under the radar, unnoticed and under appreciated. The emphasis seems to be placed more on the colleges in a conference and less on the area served by the conference.

In my opinion, the area served is just as important as conference membership.

I feel certain that Miami versus Boston College was a much bigger game when both were in the BE than it is now that they're in the ACC.

The northeast megalopolis has no affinity for the ACC and is not enthrall with Tobacco Road.

Whoever remains in the BE, and I hope UCONN will be among them will have the opportunity to monopolize the collegiate sporting interest of the single largest market in the country.

I'm sorry Syracuse, Pitt and now Rutgers failed to grasp this. I do hope UCONN will stop coveting other conferences and focus on leading the BE.

Even if it brings in what you consider jr high level members, those will be elevated by virtue of being in the BE. come to think of it, that is what happened to UCONN in the first place.

Only the BE is centered in the northeast corridor. That is a huge advantage over all other conferences.

Thus sprach Zarathustra... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits