UCONN-Texas post game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
True they were 9/18 and could have won by double digits.

However, Texas was 10/20. So if they'd have made their FTs, they could have won the game.
It was a vulnerability last year even for Paige and it lingers and is stubbornly hard to cure. Thankfully Paige lost that bug in the NC State game. Maybe she could be Free Throw Coach too.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. Paige/Ice have zero chance of returning this season. Harmon is listed as day-to-day.
So is Caroline. mbr made a great post just a couple above this one. Who wouldve sat if Harmon and Caroline played and would Morris and Azzi had gone off. We will never know. What we do know is neither played and the box score shows that. There are no "IFs or Buts" It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to calm down after games like that? Lol. I was on a high and couldn't go to sleep until like 1 am when I had work in the morning. Post game interviews on both sides were interesting. Vic was hard but encouraging about his players. Geno was generally really positive. Lou saying she looks up to Azzi even though she's older was pretty touching.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. Paige/Ice have zero chance of returning this season. Harmon is listed as day-to-day.
I agree but the way these posts are written "imply" if Harmon played perhaps the results may have been different...no ones knows that, why I said play the hand and players you're dealt with.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to calm down after games like that? Lol. I was on a high and couldn't go to sleep until like 1 am when I had work in the morning. Post game interviews on both sides were interesting. Vic was hard but encouraging about his players. Geno was generally really positive. Lou saying she looks up to Azzi even though she's older was pretty touching.
So you calm down overnight but once you hit the Boneyard in the morning your blood begins to boil again. :D

Reaction Score
Well you know we all wanted to see Boston and /or L. Betts on the Huskies but things don't always work out that way. Neither Dorka or Edwards were top recruits by any means. So you take what you can get and turn them into blue collar types. We've had those people before and won National Championships. It can happen again. Are they All Americans? Of course not. As for terrible at finishing under pressure you mean can she score while getting fouled? Not tonight she couldn't. She got fouled at least 3 times working around the basket and that's the way it's going to be. Sometimes these AA players are not only very talented but they get preferential treatment from the refs. So when you play a team with Boston you do what you can and hope you don't foul out of the game. We don't have the type of team that's going to do the bulk of scoring in the paint. You try to minimize the damage from the "Boston" type players and hope the posts can chip in with few points. I'd say 17 points and 17 boards between AE and Dorka (Like tonight) is a pretty good contribution that can be good enough while the guards score the bulk of the points.
I agree, and I love Dorka and Edwards and am very satisfied with how they play and love having them on our side. I just think Dorka needs to finish better down low, her technique at this is bad and because of this South Carolina and any other elite team with a lot of good bigs are gonna be a problem for us. Ice was a bigger loss than many know. She’s skilled and not only tall but wide. She was exactly what we needed to be complete in the front court. With her I think we would be a shoe in for a final four. Without her it depends on who we’re matched up with.

Reaction Score
Easy to come away impressed with Fudd--I was also very impressed with her breakaway speed. Having watched Taylor Jones for 2 years in Corvallis, she has clearly put on some muscle. Taylor still needs a lot of work on her offensive game, but she is a monster on defense. UCONN fans should be thankful to have a game against Texas BIGs. Outside of South Carolina or Stanford, Texas is a great test for UCONN BIGs. Should these teams meet again in NCAA Playoffs, I expect a toss-up game assuming all players are healthy (minus Paige of course). Really enjoyable game to watch last night--had playoff intensity.

Reaction Score
Regarding the heavy minutes question, I want to remind people that we lost the fourth quarter against Texas. I also want to refresh our posters memory regarding last year. During the height of our injury crisis, we had a few games with an extremely short bench. We had games with no backup guards available, needing to use Aaliyah at the 3, and overworking the three guards that were healthy. We looked gassed in the fourth quarter of those games, and it showed in the results.

In other games Dorka or Liv was out and our already limited three big rotation, became a two big rotation. The remaining bigs played more than their optimal minutes, and since Geno was unwilling to use Amari as a solution, he went small ball for the backup minutes there. That didn't work well either.

We can all debate the optimal minutes for our players. IMO most starters for most programs play around 30 minutes a game with true stars approaching maybe 35 on the high side. Well conditioned players more, and if the gap between starter and substitute is large the starter of course gets more.

I don't think the Texas distribution was ideal for most competitive games, but two things affected it. First Caroline was not yet ready for a significant contribution, and Lou was in foul trouble. Take those two factors away, and Azzi and Nika can play closer to optimal minutes.

Upfront it was a confidence and experience factor with the bigs. At least in that game, Geno preferred using Dorka and Aaliyah more than the ideal minutes, to avoid having to play Ayanna more. I suspect that will change in the future as well, but Ayanna can't be a foul machine as soon as she gets in. She doesn't need to be as good as Dorka or Aaliyah to play more, just as good as a very tired Dorka or Aaliyah, and I suspect she may be close to that, as she may be the team's best shot blocker and rebounder.

I think the only 35 minute a game player should be Azzi, and the others should max out at slightly more than 30. If everyone is healthy, we have a very high quality bench, if not a very large rotation. There is an option of near same quality or potentially so, for every player except Azzi. Only she should play minutes even when she is pretty tired IMO.

Reaction Score
Well, Caroline seems to be absent in your thinking. If and when she once again become an intricate part of this team, her talents will add greatly to UConn's success this season.

Reaction Score
In her limited minutes Jones on offense had no problem with UConn's interior defense until GA finally realized they had to at least double her. On defense Juhasz did nothing with her inside. Moore is serviceable but somewhat undersized to play inside. I already thanked Shaefer in another thread for only playing Mwenentanda 22 minutes, she has more upside than any of his 6-2 and up players plus she can shoot. Gaston is physical and a decent backup. The rest are not a factor. And no, Gabriel and DeBerry wouldn't get off the bench for them either. JMO.
She scored 10 points in 29 minutes in a losing effort. Big deal.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One more thing to gush about in Azzi’s performance. At the 8:20 mark in the 2nd quarter, Azzi brings the ball up the floor against Sonya and blows past her at the top of the key. Sonya lets her go because the Texas bigs have her back, but Azzi doesn’t care. She’s at the rim before they could react. We all thought Jones Gaston and Moore were a formidable front court. It speaks volumes about Azzi’s renewed confidence that she was willing to challenge them… and win.

Another sign of the new Azzi: she wanted the ball in her hands against the press. Nika brought it up a lot too. And Azzi’s handles are awesome. Once she had the ball in her hands the Texas press seemed irrelevant.

Azzi ran by players several times last night. She's fast when healthy.

Reaction Score
I agree, and I love Dorka and Edwards and am very satisfied with how they play and love having them on our side. I just think Dorka needs to finish better down low, her technique at this is bad and because of this South Carolina and any other elite team with a lot of good bigs are gonna be a problem for us. Ice was a bigger loss than many know. She’s skilled and not only tall but wide. She was exactly what we needed to be complete in the front court. With her I think we would be a shoe in for a final four. Without her it depends on who we’re matched up with.

How many teams are out there that play physcial bully ball have a more elite front line than Texas while having enough shooters that can prevent double teams?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Like Texas?

Geez, people, Texas is the #3 ranked team, an elite team with elite players. People are completely ignoring that

Reaction Score
Like Texas?

Geez, people, Texas is the #3 ranked team, an elite team with elite players. People are completely ignoring that
I disagree, those Texas bigs are not as good as South Carolina’s or Stanford. Different level. It was a good experience and it’s early so it’s all helping us get better, but cmon, Texas bigs are big and aggressive and deep, South Carolina is all of those things plus skilled and experienced. I dislike them all but I’m just be honest from my point of view. We can still win those games but down low, we are at a clear disadvantage just like I believe we have an advantage at the 2 guard and wing spots over anyone we play.

Reaction Score
Like Texas?

I was just going to reply on the other thread the Tony thread a poster not impressed.

I'm not sure that there is an understanding that the other team is very good too and they are going to make plays and outplay UCONN at some spots. And the coach isn't incompetent.

And UCONN are not pros.

Reaction Score
I disagree, those Texas bigs are not as good as South Carolina’s or Stanford. Different level. It was a good experience and it’s early so it’s all helping us get better, but cmon, Texas bigs are big and aggressive and deep, South Carolina is all of those things plus skilled and experienced. I dislike them all but I’m just be honest from my point of view. We can still win those games but down low, we are at a clear disadvantage just like I believe we have an advantage at the 2 guard and wing spots over anyone we play.
But you are comparing Texas vs the number 1 and number 2 teams. SO Texas is not good because they aren't SC and Stanford?

Then please explain who else is as good as thsoe 2?

Reaction Score
But you are comparing Texas vs the number 1 and number 2 teams. SO Texas is not good because they aren't SC and Stanford?

Then please explain who else is as good as thsoe 2?
I don’t care about anything except being Number 1, not 2,3,4 or 5. And if we want to get there, our post players are gonna have to get better because the competition for that too spot is better, period. I would venture to say a lot better. Those frontlines are not just better, they been playing together longer than Texas and they e won titles together. Edward I believe will hold her own, Dorka needs to figure some things out. She had a hell of a game tonight, did a lot, but I’m telling you, I believe those frontlines on those two teams are not having it. And those are the two teams I’m worried about because those in my opinion is who will be in our way when it counts most.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Regarding the heavy minutes question, I want to remind people that we lost the fourth quarter against Texas. I also want to refresh our posters memory regarding last year. During the height of our injury crisis, we had a few games with an extremely short bench. We had games with no backup guards available, needing to use Aaliyah at the 3, and overworking the three guards that were healthy. We looked gassed in the fourth quarter of those games, and it showed in the results.

In other games Dorka or Liv was out and our already limited three big rotation, became a two big rotation. The remaining bigs played more than their optimal minutes, and since Geno was unwilling to use Amari as a solution, he went small ball for the backup minutes there. That didn't work well either.

We can all debate the optimal minutes for our players. IMO most starters for most programs play around 30 minutes a game with true stars approaching maybe 35 on the high side. Well conditioned players more, and if the gap between starter and substitute is large the starter of course gets more.

I don't think the Texas distribution was ideal for most competitive games, but two things affected it. First Caroline was not yet ready for a significant contribution, and Lou was in foul trouble. Take those two factors away, and Azzi and Nika can play closer to optimal minutes.

Upfront it was a confidence and experience factor with the bigs. At least in that game, Geno preferred using Dorka and Aaliyah more than the ideal minutes, to avoid having to play Ayanna more. I suspect that will change in the future as well, but Ayanna can't be a foul machine as soon as she gets in. She doesn't need to be as good as Dorka or Aaliyah to play more, just as good as a very tired Dorka or Aaliyah, and I suspect she may be close to that, as she may be the team's best shot blocker and rebounder.

I think the only 35 minute a game player should be Azzi, and the others should max out at slightly more than 30. If everyone is healthy, we have a very high quality bench, if not a very large rotation. There is an option of near same quality or potentially so, for every player except Azzi. Only she should play minutes even when she is pretty tired IMO.
The only person that seemed fatigued was Nesh. Those 3 pt celebrations looked a little ragged at the end. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom