UConn-Texas Game Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

UConn-Texas Game Thread

Reaction Score
Box Score: Connecticut vs. Texas - Box Score - January 15, 2018 - ESPN

Texas with 14 more shot attempts. 6 More Rebounds, but 9 on the Offensive boards. Contributed to more shot attempts.
Texas 15 Assists UConn only 12 on ther 26 made baskets. When was the last time an opponent has more assists then UConn.
After a Hot Start Texas was only 5 -21 on three point shots. UConn 6 - 15 on 3 point shot attempts.
UConn had only 2 steals. And very few points off transition. Very atypical. Credit texas’ guards.

Reaction Score
You are correct. In 2013-14, with Tuck out, Geno basically played 6 players on the way to his 9th National Championship: KML, Stewie, Mo, Steph, Bria and Kiah Stokes.

We're not winning this year playing 6 and why would we want too?
With multiple girls on our team with nagging injuries or God for bid the unexpecting injury were dead.

The year your referencing we had a girl named stewie on the court. Enough said

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I do not disagree at all. But she was our only offense at times in the 2nd half.
True and that's why her number seemed to be called on offense. In retrospect, I think Lou's eye played a factor in the play calling.
I am not being critical in the least...just an opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great game! One thing I take away from this year is as good as we are, and we are very good, we are beatable. We got so spoiled with stewie. When stewie was an upper class men there was no way we were loosing period.

Geno is right we need the bench not to step up but to be able to step ON THE COURT!! What happens if Kia picks up foul number 5?? Then what? We cart out Megan Walker to play in the highest of the highest pressure moments of this game??!!! The Megan Walker that's Ice cold from sitting on the bench the whole game? I'm telling u we have a major issue here. Geno needs to work with those girls day and night until he can trust at least two of them!!
We're not winning the NC playing six.
Thats what I have been saying most of the season. If Kia fouled out would we have played only 4 people??? Players with three/four fouls play more tentative on defense. Geno said to Kara Lawson that his goal over the next two weeks is to develop his bench....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Z’s problems on both offense and defense stem from the same issue:

She gets pushed around a lot. Or she lets it happen, however you want to put it.

The more she is able to establish a strong base, the better she will rebound, the better spots she will catch the ball in, and the more shots she will block. Not saying she’s bad in these areas but she’s not fully taking advantage of her size until she gets a consistently stronger base, IMO.
Z isnt used to playing man to man. She’s better than she was at the beginning of the season but her defense on MTM is still a work in progress

Reaction Score
When I hear alot of criticism against our women on the floor playing hard, I always remember this:
Teddy Roosevelt.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get rid of the zone. It leads to too many open shots. UConn is much better in a man-on-man defense. Katie Lou, you are incredible. Go, Lou. Go Huskies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Texas played their "A" game in front of a big home crowd against UConn like all opponents try to do......that they looked like a totally different team against TCU should be no surprise.....

This is the UT team I expected all season. If Holmes Can round into form, watch out!

The Baylor vs UT game just became more exciting. Can UT bring this energy against Baylor?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Not our A game tonight-- some missed layups, problems rebounding, impatience on offense-- but we toughed it out, made the plays to secure a win in the last couple minutes.
Which makes it all the harder to take seriously people who not only seem to be hunting for criticisms, but but also seem to find character flaws when a player doesn't measure up to their elevated standards.
To wit, Katie Lou, who played a gutsy, high-effort game, misses two foul shots: that's "inexcusable" in someone's world; or it's "Choke City." Or about Azura, who is working hard toward improving the range and depth of her game: "Did [she] do anything good tonight?" Or Gabby misses a stretch layup across the lane after being bumped by two Longhorns, and that's missing a "bunny"?
Come on, folks. I understand your frustration when our women don't play at their best every moment, 100% of the time, but those judgments are pretty unforgiving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmm, I’m on record on the criticism thing but game threads are no-judgement zones for posters that are posting in the heat of the game.
Heat of the moment is when a person shows their true colors

Reaction Score
Hmm, I’m on record on the criticism thing but game threads are no-judgement zones for posters that are posting in the heat of the game.

I use Teddy's reminder to upgrade my own thinking, is all.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Was just listening to post game radio and eye witness report by Debbie (see what I did there) is that Lou's eye is pretty shut.

Reaction Score
(1) We're not winning this year playing 6 and why would we want too?
(2) With multiple girls on our team with nagging injuries or God for bid the unexpecting injury were dead.

(3) The year your referencing we had a girl named stewie on the court. Enough said

1-- They could win a title with 6 just as easily could lose with 8.
2-- You could always fear injury but then why bother playing? In addition you might as well fear every game played.
3-- And what you might be able to say 4 years from now "The year your referencing we had 6 caliber all-amercian players on the court. Enough said."

Reaction Score
Thats what I have been saying most of the season. If Kia fouled out would we have played only 4 people??? Players with three/four fouls play more tentative on defense. Geno said to Kara Lawson that his goal over the next two weeks is to develop his bench....

Finally someone agrees with me!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As we saw last week at Louisville good teams get really amped up in front of large raucous crowds and play their best game. UConn got down by 10 early and fought back. UConn got down by 8 in the 2nd half and once again fought back. UConn could have folded like another team did last Thursday night but they didn't. They stayed together and won a tough game against a physical athletic team in a very tough environment. That's good enough for me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're not winning this year playing 6 and why would we want too?
With multiple girls on our team with nagging injuries or God for bid the unexpecting injury were dead.

The year your referencing we had a girl named stewie on the court. Enough said
Please read the original post I was responding to before you come out swinging. The question was posed by another BY’er if UConn had ever won using only 6 players, and I answered it. Enough said.

Reaction Score
Was just listening to post game radio and eye witness report by Debbie (see what I did there) is that Lou's eye is pretty shut.
Never good when you have to point out your attempted humor;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Heat of the moment is when a person shows their true colors
Nah, these are nice folks that are heated up because of the game. I yell at the TV at home while some people post their thoughts instead.

Fans of other teams think Geno is a raving lunatic because of his yelling on the sidelines for two hours. That’s not a fair assessment of him, nor are the posts in the game threads fair assessments of the character of the posters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom