UConn-Texas Game Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

UConn-Texas Game Thread

Reaction Score
Some really questionable calls this game. Thanks, Dee.
Once I realized it was the “ esteemed
Come on B and Kara you have to question that no call on Z. That was the worst of the night.

come oneveryone. This is “Dee Kant”that is one of the refs.. She has never been a friend of UCONN. Very inconsistent. I can’t believe she is still allowed to do big games.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Stevens needs to learn to get a better angle on those drives.

But her and gabby both got absolutely hammered on drives late in the game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A couple of points now that the blood pressure has returned to normal -

Geno says his goal is to get the bench to contribute more
Z's height was a critical factor tonight
Texas brought their A game and we didn't and we still won.

Reaction Score
Good win. We all know the downside. 6 players. One soph. No freshmen. Auriemma is actually talking about that right now. Seems like Batouly is just not ready. The kind of game where her size would help.

I said in November that Batouly would not play a meaningful minute this year and was ridiculed for it. Seems that any other scenario will be a big surprise at this point.

Megan Walker being where she is right now is a big surprise, however. Even Stewie wasn't this far buried on the bench at her lowest point as a freshman.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'd prefer we not have to and clearly geno agrees. But we've done it multiple times I'm pretty sure. Can someone help me out here (or tell me I'm wrong)?

Without looking , I am pretty sure we have won it all with 6 or at least won some really big games with 6 but Geno wants 7-8 he can really depend on

Reaction Score
Great game. Not sure how UT lost to TCU.

Welcome to the Big 12.

Texas played their "A" game in front of a big home crowd against UConn like all opponents try to do................that they looked like a totally different team against TCU should be no surprise..........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Huskies played like the Ladyvols but Texas was not fooled. We were lucky to get a win.
You are so wrong on this that I actually worry you have become so spoiled by blowouts you don’t appreciate good games. Seriously if you think UConn was lucky and didn’t play well, then go find another hobby.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If you have a swollen eye two things generally happen your vision gets distorted by the swelling and your eyes often tears up, which I think is a protective thing the eye does. Lou got the arm in her face in the first quarter and went to the bench for 3 minutes. I watched her every time the play was in front of the UConns bench. She never put an ice bag on it and then played the remainder of the game. She probably had ice on it at half time, but that was it.
Lou is one tuff cookie.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Box Score: Connecticut vs. Texas - Box Score - January 15, 2018 - ESPN

Texas with 14 more shot attempts. 6 More Rebounds, but 9 on the Offensive boards. Contributed to more shot attempts.
Texas 15 Assists UConn only 12 on ther 26 made baskets. When was the last time an opponent has more assists then UConn.
After a Hot Start Texas was only 5 -21 on three point shots. UConn 6 - 15 on 3 point shot attempts.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Notre Dame game. Lou and Dangerfield keep them close through the first three quarters. Azura makes the plays on offense down the stretch to win. We even saw a nearly identical dish from Dangerfield to Stevens similar to what we saw against the Irish.

This team may not be blowing past top teams this season, but they are showing the ability to take a punch and bounce back/ win close games. The team definitely has some weaknesses, but has the heart so far.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Had to miss the game. I see we had some foul issues and only 6 played. Will look for Phees minutes. Saw Geno after the game with kara talking about having to get the bench into the fray going forward. I look forward to reading this huge thread.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd prefer we not have to and clearly geno agrees. But we've done it multiple times I'm pretty sure. Can someone help me out here (or tell me I'm wrong)?
You are correct. In 2013-14, with Tuck out, Geno basically played 6 players on the way to his 9th National Championship: KML, Stewie, Mo, Steph, Bria and Kiah Stokes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Z’s problems on both offense and defense stem from the same issue:

She gets pushed around a lot. Or she lets it happen, however you want to put it.

The more she is able to establish a strong base, the better she will rebound, the better spots she will catch the ball in, and the more shots she will block. Not saying she’s bad in these areas but she’s not fully taking advantage of her size until she gets a consistently stronger base, IMO.

Reaction Score
Great game! One thing I take away from this year is as good as we are, and we are very good, we are beatable. We got so spoiled with stewie. When stewie was an upper class men there was no way we were loosing period.

Geno is right we need the bench not to step up but to be able to step ON THE COURT!! What happens if Kia picks up foul number 5?? Then what? We cart out Megan Walker to play in the highest of the highest pressure moments of this game??!!! The Megan Walker that's Ice cold from sitting on the bench the whole game? I'm telling u we have a major issue here. Geno needs to work with those girls day and night until he can trust at least two of them!!
We're not winning the NC playing six.

Reaction Score
Wait til tomorrow...she may be lucky to open it. Lou's face is a magnet for elbows and forearms.

not just her face..............her entire body..............she may want to consider a career in professional wrestling when her basketball playing days are over

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Box Score: Connecticut vs. Texas - Box Score - January 15, 2018 - ESPN

Texas with 14 more shot attempts. 6 More Rebounds, but 9 on the Offensive boards. Contributed to more shot attempts.
Texas 15 Assists UConn only 12 on ther 26 made baskets. When was the last time an opponent has more assists then UConn.
After a Hot Start Texas was only 5 -21 on three point shots. UConn 6 - 15 on 3 point shot attempts.

Texas jacked up a lot of bad threes that ended up hurting them a lot. UCONN might be the only team I’ve seen this year that doesn’t do that. All of the perimeter shots the Huskies take are in rhythm and decisive, where Texas had posts jacking up 20 footers and their guards forced some shots early in the shot clock. The percentage of triples hit off the dribble has to be incredibly low compared to catch and shoot shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom