UConn-Tennessee game resuming? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-Tennessee game resuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems to me that Tenn cancelled the series as soon as they knew they had no chance against UConn. As soon as Tenn thinks they have a chance to win, they'll be knocking on the door again. Looks like they think next year will be their year with Russell coming.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
LV posters here have always been treated with much better courtesy than any Boneyarder who posted on the Summitt. And since the Summitt became a pay site, how is it that you know there is a lot less animosity?

What I meant is that Boneyarders don't go over there anymore, so they can't read the nasty stuff and for sure they don't want to pay to get insulted. So, they can't bring stuff back here to get the whole board upset.

I believe you are correct in your second statement - which means that there is animosity still, it just lives (for the most part) on the Summitt.

Reaction Score
Teams I would rather play than Tennessee:

Baylor
Duke
Stanford
Notre Dame
Kentucky
California
Maryland
Penn State
Louisville
Texas A&M
Northeast teams for some regional rivalry action-Syracuse, Rutgers, St. John's

Every team has the mid majors on the schedule so we have to have those too but then the conference schedule and a bunch of those teams above is perfectly fine. Throw in UNC when DeShields is there and some other ones. Tenn has fallen a little down the line and if anything they need the game more than us. We have had nationally televised games against Stanford, and Maryland and have more including Baylor and ND. Tennessee game would not be better than any of those games and they need the media exposure that comes from playing us. We can find better teams to play and form new rivalries.

Reaction Score
I believe you are correct in your second statement - which means that there is animosity still, it just lives (for the most part) on the Summitt.

My turn to ask: how do we know that?

Reaction Score
Lets say we get an apology from Pat Summit, for her accusations in her pre or during her delusional state which led to her dismissal as head coach offer an apology to to Uconn and Geno. Then we will play you beggars!

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Lets say we get an apology from Pat Summit, for her accusations in her pre or during her delusional state which led to her dismissal as head coach offer an apology to to Uconn and Geno. Then we will play you beggars!

That's more like it - Won't happen though.

Reaction Score
There is a bad smell coming out of Knoxville these last few years and I do not think it going to get better any time soon. Why should Uconn help after everyone is so willing to make our programs suffer? Look at their football program with a 1 billion dollar sports budget! Why does the SEC not offer us inclusion in their conference if they want to play so bad. We could probably beat your football team. Look at the stability of their athletics over the last two years!

Reaction Score
I just noticed the John A. article about planning for the future. In it, Corum stated that UConn and Tenn are in the "preliminary stages" of discussing a renual of the series.

Which means it is going to happen (we don't get a vote) because the administrators of both schools want it. I'm certain that Pat ended the series over the the objection of her supposed superiors- but they were on the phone to UConn as soon as she had been put out of the way.

Reaction Score
The problem with the series is it never should have ended. Its over now. It will never be what it was. I think we should put them back on our schedule but its not the same any more.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Seems to me that Tenn cancelled the series as soon as they knew they had no chance against UConn. As soon as Tenn thinks they have a chance to win, they'll be knocking on the door again. Looks like they think next year will be their year with Russell coming.
When EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore committed to UConn and Pat was left with neither superstar she had to grab everybody she could. Tenn thought they had a lock on at least 2 of the players according to their fans. It was said that EDD loved Tenn and they had painted a rock and showed her a good time when she went down there. That may have been but there was no way that EDD was going to Tenn. It was also said Caroline attended Pats BB camp. Another thus the reason Caroline would go to Tenn. Maya was in Tenns backyard (from Ga SEC territory) and although many Tenn fans thought Maya would go to Tenn it was pretty clear she was coming to UConn. There was also some talk about EDD and Caroline one would go to UConn and one would go to Tenn. It never happened. Then the stories started, then the 37 page report, and the Wendys burgers and fries, and the ride. It got ugly. Why? IMO because Tenn could not compete with UConn anymore as UConn had all the top go to players. I remember the last game it was in Hartford in January and it was 70+ degrees and some top Tenn fans came up to City Steam as a bunch of the Boneyarders were having lunch. They came up to meet us and one remark was UConn is in trouble and just wait to you see whats gonna happen to UConn. That was the first time many of us heard what was to be the 37 page report sent to the NCAA.

If those in charge want to get the series going again so be it. I dont like it. It will never be the same as Tenn is not at UConns level anymore.

Reaction Score
It won't be the same to us, but it will be the same to ESPN and the many people who don't know anything about womens' basketball; but who will watch it for the same reason that they watch Army/Navy, etc. -to participate vicariously in the emotion of the event. Great rivalries are mystical. They can't be forced on the public. UConn/Stanford, UConn/Notre Dame should be seen as great rivalries ; but, they aren't and probably never will, to the general public. UConn/Tenn is and always will be. It doesn't matter that the game hasn't been played in a while- it will just increase the hype. (ESPN headline: "UConn and Tenn resume rivalry!!!" They are drooling at the prospect.)

Reaction Score
Teams I would rather play than Tennessee:

Baylor
Duke
Stanford
Notre Dame
Kentucky
California
Maryland
Penn State
Louisville
Texas A&M
Northeast teams for some regional rivalry action-Syracuse, Rutgers, St. John's

Given how the SEC, BIG12 and ACC schools could care less about our other sport teams, I would focus on creating associations and rivalries with a conference we wish to join: the B1G. Play any of those B1G schools that want to play us. Our UConn women's team should make other conferences feel the pain of ignoring our other sports. All other schools need UConn more than we need them in women's hoops. Screw Notre Dame, especially. Play Stanford and other quality academic schools. Play the Ivies, play Pac12. Forget former BE schools. They had their day in the sun. Time to move on.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
When EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore committed to UConn and Pat was left with neither superstar she had to grab everybody she could. Tenn thought they had a lock on at least 2 of the players according to their fans.

Not true. They thought they had a lock on Moore, yes. But not EDD and certainly not Doty (they were targeting Bjorklund more).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not true. They thought they had a lock on Moore, yes. But not EDD and certainly not Doty (they were targeting Bjorklund more).
Bjorkland was the same year as Moore (who their fans mostly lauded as just as good as Maya). The following year was their huge class headlined by Glory and Shekinna. From reading their board back then, they thought EDD and Caroline would never go to the same school. When Caroline verbaled to UCONN in November 2006, some/many Tennessee fans thought they'd land EDD.

When she ultimately chose UCONN over Tenn, 'nova, and MTSU, Tennessee fans were surprised. She'd taken several unofficial visits to Knoxville, but turned down the option of an official visit. Maybe towards the end they saw the writing on the wall, but as recently as the week before her announcement, it was reported by her father that EDD still did not know where she was going.

GoVolsExtra article on EDD's decision

Now I can't speak for all Tennessee fans, but I do recall reading their board and a good number of them were surprised and shocked. Of course, this is in the heels of Pat canceling the series, among other reasons, because Tennessee lost out on Maya to UCONN. But the ridiculous hanky panky they accused UCONN of is a whole other story.

One of the really interesting things about something Tony has said for years was echoed by Elena herself in an article in August 2007...

"I loved Tennessee, but it was not the program for me," Delle Donne said. "I have to be with players who complement me, and they just have so many recruits. It's not so much anything negative about them, as it is that UConn is just the best fit. The players really complement me. The games will be so much closer to home. And I love Geno. He really recruits pieces to a puzzle instead of trying to get every recruit he can."

That's pretty much something that Geno has done from day 1, and it's clear when you look at the hodgepodge Tennessee has often recruited in the past they indeed were going after every top kid they could get, regardless of how they played, what position they played, or how the players would complement each other. That a high school kid sees it and gets it indicates it's something Geno probably mentioned when recruiting against Tennessee and something recruits and their families were well aware of.

It seems that Holly finally learned that lesson as they certainly have recruited much more of a variety of kids each year. But still, they are quite a bit behind UCONN in the talent department, in spite of the protestations from some Tennessee fans who think otherwise...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cam, Eric's points are very consistent with what I remember from the TN board back then.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Would you "meh" folks really prefer to see the likes of Colgate, Oakland, and Oregon on UConn's schedule rather than Tennessee?
Yes, absolutely. I would prefer to never play TN again, ever. Not even in NCAA's. Just rather not have to ever deal with them again. Like an ex-wife, just get them out of our lives.

Reaction Score
Schedule TN for a game? Sure, if Geno is willing and sees a benefit. But I would hope that he would insist on some kind of statement from TN explaining why they now would like to play against UConn and why they canceled the series. What's changed? Geno is still Geno.
I'd like to see 500 orange-painted Lady Vols fans do 40 days' penance in St. Peter's Square in Rome. Then maybe Geno could think about it.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Pat come out and ask Geno to renew the series. Bury the hacket and bring out the olive branch. Do I want to see the series renewed NO. Am I willing to put the past aside..... I could try.

Where do we bury the Hatchet;)
I agree. Actions should have consequences.

IF an apology is issued, then if something works out, fine, if not, that's fine too.
I still have bad feelings re what was said! The strong feelings remain amongst many on this board!
If Geno decides it is good for us to resume playing them of course I will support that! Otherwise F them!!
Ira

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam, Eric's points are very consistent with what I remember from the TN board back then.

The TN insiders were not surprised at all. The casual fan who wants every recuit was surprised.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The TN insiders were not surprised at all. The casual fan who wants every recuit was surprised.
That may well be. Of course, every member of the Summitt thinks they are all siders.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
That may well be. Of course, every member of the Summitt thinks they are all siders.

The people who are truly knowledgeable about recruiting knew that Delle Donne was going to UConn, as was Doty.

But they think they were going to get Maya Moore.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The people who are truly knowledgeable about recruiting knew that Delle Donne was going to UConn, as was Doty.

That's not a rebuttal to the notion that many LV fans were convinced they were getting ED ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom